Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Johnson and Davis sign

At 6’6, Johnson caught 15 touchdowns with the Longhorns as a starter. Huge catch radius and height advantage.

Davis, 6’4 caught 8 touchdowns in college and he converted from QB to WR to TE. Athlete comes to mind. He’s going to be an asset at a position that we’ve lacked for years.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Camp bodies.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(06-25-2020, 07:46 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Camp bodies.

I disagree.  Johnson will definitely make the team, and he'll be an asset especially in the red zone.   Davis is more of a gamble.  But I don't mind spending low round picks on gambles with athletic ability and apparent upside.

Johnson will stick unless something weird happens. Could be part of a red-zone package before the end of his rookie season IMO.
They just have to be careful about stashing him if the roster is full. Could be snatched up like Allen Lazard was. I see this as Caldwell's replacement for that missed opportunity.

Davis is definitely a project (think Zach Miller) but could certainly develop if there's room on the roster or PS for him.
FYI - Jay Gruden has already mentioned Davis in his presser/zoom calls as a candidate to play some H-Back/FB.

(This post was last modified: 06-25-2020, 05:33 PM by ATLjag.)

In final cuts for the 53 man roster last season, the Jags kept 6 WRs and 4 TEs.

At WR, Chark, Conley, Westbrook, and Shenault are locks. That tentatively leaves 2 spots up for grabs, with the leading contenders being Cole, Johnson, Board, and Walker. With Cole receiving a RFA 2nd round tender in March and Johnson being a 5th round draft choice with a unique size advantage, I would think these two have the edge thus far.

At TE, if all are healthy, Eifert, Oliver, and O'Shaughnessy are locks, leaving 1 spot up for grabs. Davis, Jones, and Ellefson will be contending. Davis would likely have the edge, as he was drafted, and with a limited camp.

Neither will be camp bodies. Johnson is 6’6 and will be the biggest receiver period on the team. He could turn out to be a stud. Huge acquisition for the red zone and on 3rd down. Johnson absolutely makes the team and could turn into a super star if he wants to. He’s got all the tools. Our smaller guys are loving this rookie to take the pressure off a little.

Davis is going to make this ball club. A lot of people are sleeping on him contributing on special teams to go along with him a TE. The kid is an athlete and if he turns out to be a good tackler then he could be a Special teams stud.

@NYC Miller is who I think of when Davis’ name comes up. We’re gonna carry 4 TEs with our injury concerns at the position.

Barring something crazy, no way these two are camp bodies.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

Camp bodies, I think not. A 6'6" wr that can catch is destined for the RZ. He may be a step slower than others but that speed is neutralized within the opponent's 20 yard line. If Davis is atheletic enough to play QB, WR and TE, he'll garnish an PS position to say the least. I'm liking on this duo and I hope that they can contribute to our team in 2020.

NH3...
"AZANE"

You guys always overvalue these kinds of picks and they inevitably let you down.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(06-25-2020, 08:51 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: Neither will be camp bodies. Johnson is 6’6 and will be the biggest receiver period on the team. He could turn out to be a stud. Huge acquisition for the red zone and on 3rd down. Johnson absolutely makes the team and could turn into a super star if he wants to. He’s got all the tools. Our smaller guys are loving this rookie to take the pressure off a little.

Davis is going to make this ball club. A lot of people are sleeping on him contributing on special teams to go along with him a TE. The kid is an athlete and if he turns out to be a good tackler then he could be a Special teams stud.

@NYC Miller is who I think of when Davis’ name comes up. We’re gonna carry 4 TEs with our injury concerns at the position.

LMAO

Why wasn't he a first round pick then? or at least a 2nd rounder? He is tall OMG, first tall WR ever!! he is a HOF already!!!

Delusional much?
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

(06-26-2020, 06:24 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: You guys always overvalue these kinds of picks and they inevitably let you down.

Comparing Johnson to Lazard and Davis to Zach Miller isn't a whole helluva lot of "valuing." 

There's a laundry list of guys like Rashad Jennings, Montell Owens, Allen Lazard, Zach Miller, Gardner Minshew, Allen Hurns, Luke Bowanko, Ryan Davis, Abry Jones, Tyler Shatley, Josh Wells, Jarrod Wilson, and Tre Herndon that come from late round, undrafted, or waiver wire status to become contributors here or their next stop. 

Nothing wrong with seeing potential for a similar outcome with these two. 

Happens

every 

single 

year

(This post was last modified: 06-26-2020, 08:46 PM by JagFanatic24.)

(06-26-2020, 06:34 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote:
(06-25-2020, 08:51 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: Neither will be camp bodies. Johnson is 6’6 and will be the biggest receiver period on the team. He could turn out to be a stud. Huge acquisition for the red zone and on 3rd down. Johnson absolutely makes the team and could turn into a super star if he wants to. He’s got all the tools. Our smaller guys are loving this rookie to take the pressure off a little.

LMAO

Why wasn't he a first round pick then? or at least a 2nd rounder? He is tall OMG, first tall WR ever!! he is a HOF already!!!

Delusional much?

The same reason guys like
Marqees  Colston 7th round
Wes Welker undrafted
Keenan McCardell 13th round
And a list a mile long of other WRs that didn’t go in the first round. 

He might not turn into anything but I think he’s got the tools to be a stud. I don’t look at where they are drafted. Players still gotta go out there and make plays.

(06-26-2020, 06:45 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(06-26-2020, 06:24 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: You guys always overvalue these kinds of picks and they inevitably let you down.

Comparing Johnson to Lazard and Davis to Zach Miller isn't a whole helluva lot of "valuing." 

There's a laundry list of guys like Rashad Jennings, Montell Owens, Allen Lazard, Zach Miller, Gardner Minshew, Allen Hurns, Luke Bowanko, Ryan Davis, Abry Jones, Tyler Shatley, Josh Wells, Jarrod Wilson, and Tre Herndon that come from late round, undrafted, or waiver wire status to become contributors here or their next stop. 

Happens

every 

single 

year

Well said.
Sheesh some guys want us to say, they signed Davis and Johnson but they’re gonna suck so who cares. Next topic.

(06-26-2020, 08:44 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote:
(06-26-2020, 06:34 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: LMAO

Delusional much?

The same reason guys like
Wes Welker undrafted

He might not turn into anything but I think he’s got the tools to be a stud. I don’t look at where they are drafted. Players still gotta go out there and make plays.

(06-26-2020, 06:45 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Comparing Johnson to Lazard and Davis to Zach Miller isn't a whole helluva lot of "valuing." 

Happens

every 

single 

year

Well said.
Sheesh some guys want us to say, they signed Davis and Johnson but they’re gonna suck so who cares. Next topic.

Hahahahaha sure.

BTW, all those guys you mentioned have something Johnson doesn't. 
And the guy looks like another Matt Jones.

I guess we can also expect:

CJ Henderson to be the new Deion Sanders because why not?
Chaisson the new Demarcus Ware
Shenault = Anquan Boldin
Barth is Boselli
Jake Luton is gonna be like Tom Brady
Tyler Davis better than Antonio Gates

You should be a scout.
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

Such Negativity. Allow it to play out. Remember,

Time Will Tell.

NH3...
"AZANE"

Wasnt the initial discussion whether they'll be camp bodies or not? When I think of a camp body I think of a guy who isnt really being given a shot barring some kind of completely unforeseen ability to play. And who is just there as basically a practice dummy.

No drafted player is ever really a camp body in those terms. They'll all be given a legit chance to make the team and barring a complete lack of ability, probably will make it. And if too raw will end up on practice squad. A rookie that has potential will have the upper hand on some 3rd year guy who is still low on the depth chart.

(This post was last modified: 06-29-2020, 11:36 AM by NH3.)

(06-28-2020, 08:31 AM)rfc17 Wrote: Wasnt the initial discussion whether they'll be camp bodies or not? When I think of a camp body I think of a guy who isnt really being given a shot barring some kind of completely unforeseen ability to play. And who is just there as basically a practice dummy.

No drafted player is ever really a camp body in those terms. They'll all be given a legit chance to make the team and barring a complete lack of ability, probably will make it. And if too raw will end up on practice squad.  A rookie that has potential will have the upper hand on some 3rd year guy who is still low on the depth chart.

Well Said.

NH3...
"AZANE"

Chaaamppiiioonshiiip.

(06-26-2020, 11:04 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote:
(06-26-2020, 08:44 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: The same reason guys like
Wes Welker undrafted

Well said.

Hahahahaha sure.

BTW, all those guys you mentioned have something Johnson doesn't. 
And the guy looks like another Matt Jones.

I guess we can also expect:

CJ Henderson to be the new Deion Sanders because why not?
Chaisson the new Demarcus Ware
Shenault = Anquan Boldin
Barth is Boselli
Jake Luton is gonna be like Tom Brady
Tyler Davis better than Antonio Gates

You should be a scout.

Your right he’s trash. Next topic.