Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Valdosta PD wrongfully slam civilian to the ground, break wrist and arrest him

(06-26-2020, 10:05 AM)Jamies_fried_chicken Wrote:
(06-26-2020, 09:55 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: He was a suspect when they stopped him, yes. Is that an issue here? Because if he'd been polite to the officers instead of belligerent he probably would've been fine. But some people don't get it that resisting or being rude to a cop doing his job just escalates the situation. That seems to be the common thread running through all of these instances people are rioting over, the person was guilty of escalation when it simply wasn't necessary. The people like TJ wan't to [BLEEP] about how awful the Pigs are. Yes, police have authority to enforce the law, but within the confines of Civil Rights law. That's why the cop killing George Floyd was wrong even though arresting him was proper. This guy got dropped and inured and the Sergeant should be on the hook for it. The other officers didn't really do anything wrong and the cam shows it. But of course some people exaggerate the situation and even talk in absurdities like bringing the UN to investigate.

A couple of critical things that needs to be pointed out. 

He was incorrectly identified as a suspect. Law enforcement didn’t properly conduct an investigation to determine what was going on.

Furthermore and I can’t emphasize this enough the person complied by providing his identification. The initial officer didn’t run it himself to check if he had warrants, he went off of speculation.

Being belligerent or rude isn’t a crime and if that was the reason the situation escalated to where he was wrongfully arrested and sustained unnecessary injuries. Then again the officers involved need to be fired and arrested. 

I can understand people may be offended by my suggestion of welcoming a UN investigation. But I ask what is there to be afraid of?

The officers involved do not need to be fired or arrested and you have a really odd perspective on human nature. Being belligerent or rude adds to an already tense situation when the cops were clearly trying to figure out what was going on. Behaving in such a way makes you seem more suspicious to cops investigating a complaint. Maybe it's time for people to start a new education campaign with a new hashtag #complyandyouwon'tdie

And the UN is a terrible organization that has no business even being in existence much less overseeing American affairs.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(06-26-2020, 11:10 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(06-26-2020, 10:05 AM)Jamies_fried_chicken Wrote: A couple of critical things that needs to be pointed out. 

He was incorrectly identified as a suspect. Law enforcement didn’t properly conduct an investigation to determine what was going on.

Furthermore and I can’t emphasize this enough the person complied by providing his identification. The initial officer didn’t run it himself to check if he had warrants, he went off of speculation.

Being belligerent or rude isn’t a crime and if that was the reason the situation escalated to where he was wrongfully arrested and sustained unnecessary injuries. Then again the officers involved need to be fired and arrested. 

I can understand people may be offended by my suggestion of welcoming a UN investigation. But I ask what is there to be afraid of?

The officers involved do not need to be fired or arrested and you have a really odd perspective on human nature. Being belligerent or rude adds to an already tense situation when the cops were clearly trying to figure out what was going on. Behaving in such a way makes you seem more suspicious to cops investigating a complaint. Maybe it's time for people to start a new education campaign with a new hashtag #complyandyouwon'tdie

And the UN is a terrible organization that has no business even being in existence much less overseeing American 

So by saying you don’t think the officer who slammed this person on the ground and injuring him  absolves him of discipline? He should keep his job while clearly Violating an innocent person’s civil rights? Im confused about having an odd perspective on human nature regarding holding someone accountable for doing something wrong. 

Police officers are supposed to be trained to de-escalate and remain calm while doing their jobs. Yes, they face stressful and dangerous situations. That’s what they get paid to do. If they can’t handle situations like what’s in this video above, they are not made for the job. 
The focus needs to be on the investigation and tactics part..again which is the civilian was compliant..handed over his id...him “acting suspicious” is voided the minute he hands over identification..the initial responding officer did not run it for warrants, nor had control of the situation. Then the second officer pulls up, gets walks to the man bear hugs, slam him to the ground , and break his wrist.
Whether someone has a liberal, or conservative viewpoint, a authoritative figure should not lock a thread for the sole purpose to get the last word in all the while prohibiting someone else from being able to respond.

(06-26-2020, 10:40 AM)Lucky2Last Wrote:
(06-26-2020, 10:05 AM)Jamies_fried_chicken Wrote: A couple of critical things that needs to be pointed out. 

I don't understand why this conversation can't run both ways. Everyone that has posted so far has acknowledged the cop did something wrong and should be punished. Why can't everyone here recognize the other party in this interaction did something "wrong." Civil society depends on self-restraint. This goes for the officer and the people they interact with. I agree 100% that you can be belligerent to cops. It's not a crime. I just think it's a practice that doesn't help anything. 

The police officer is NOT justified in slamming the dude. Full stop. The cop was clearly overzealous. I had something similar happen to me before. Some cops are [BLEEP]. Some cops are even racist. However, it's not widespread. Can't remember the numbers, but I just posted the use of force numbers by police officers and it's remarkably low. There's room for improvement, but every video shown is not indicative of the police force as a whole. It's a rare phenomenon that is exacerbated by the law of numbers and easy access to video. This narrative will never stop.

I just want to clarify, yes people think the cop was wrong. But there seems to be a difference of opinion in regards to if the officers should be disciplined. I think it is reasonable to understand someone being stopped and falsely accused to be upset and this person had every right to be. Also he complied by giving his identification which I keep point out. 

My focus again has to do with police training. There may be a disconnect or even a disagreement in regards to holding them accountable. Just because this is a rarity amongst the population, dosent mean we should excuse this kind of behavior.
Whether someone has a liberal, or conservative viewpoint, a authoritative figure should not lock a thread for the sole purpose to get the last word in all the while prohibiting someone else from being able to respond.

Oh, that dude definitely needs to be disciplined. He's the poster child for overzealous cop. Not sure if firing solves the problem, but he needs to be punished for sure.

(06-26-2020, 11:43 AM)Jamies_fried_chicken Wrote:
(06-26-2020, 11:10 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: The officers involved do not need to be fired or arrested and you have a really odd perspective on human nature. Being belligerent or rude adds to an already tense situation when the cops were clearly trying to figure out what was going on. Behaving in such a way makes you seem more suspicious to cops investigating a complaint. Maybe it's time for people to start a new education campaign with a new hashtag #complyandyouwon'tdie

And the UN is a terrible organization that has no business even being in existence much less overseeing American 

So by saying you don’t think the officer who slammed this person on the ground and injuring him  absolves him of discipline? He should keep his job while clearly Violating an innocent person’s civil rights? Im confused about having an odd perspective on human nature regarding holding someone accountable for doing something wrong. 

Police officers are supposed to be trained to de-escalate and remain calm while doing their jobs. Yes, they face stressful and dangerous situations. That’s what they get paid to do. If they can’t handle situations like what’s in this video above, they are not made for the job. 
The focus needs to be on the investigation and tactics part..again which is the civilian was compliant..handed over his id...him “acting suspicious” is voided the minute he hands over identification..the initial responding officer did not run it for warrants, nor had control of the situation. Then the second officer pulls up, gets walks to the man bear hugs, slam him to the ground , and break his wrist.

You said "Fired or arrested" and no, I don't agree with that. That is not the same as being "absolved of discipline." And you harping on the first officer really shows you are being disingenuous in this discussion, the cop was talking to the guy asking him questions that the guy clearly didn't want to answer as he became more hostile with each one and therefore continued to arouse suspicion. The cop isn't going to "go run it for warrants" and leave him standing there on the road so he can bolt when the guy is clearly not acting right.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(06-26-2020, 01:23 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(06-26-2020, 11:43 AM)Jamies_fried_chicken Wrote:  

You said "Fired or arrested" and no, I don't agree with that. That is not the same as being "absolved of discipline." And you harping on the first officer really shows you are being disingenuous in this discussion, the cop was talking to the guy asking him questions that the guy clearly didn't want to answer as he became more hostile with each one and therefore continued to arouse suspicion. The cop isn't going to "go run it for warrants" and leave him standing there on the road so he can bolt when the guy is clearly not acting right.

No I have to disagree, I stated factual information. In regards to the actions of the 2 officer involved. I can respect and understand your defense of the officers in this specific situation, but what is making my conversation with you stagnant is you not acknowledging the fact the civilian was compliant by identifying himself. Again, I would think it’s reasonable to understand his reaction to being falsely accused of something. It is clear we disagree on that.

(06-26-2020, 10:05 AM)Jamies_fried_chicken Wrote:
(06-26-2020, 09:55 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: He was a suspect when they stopped him, yes. Is that an issue here? Because if he'd been polite to the officers instead of belligerent he probably would've been fine. But some people don't get it that resisting or being rude to a cop doing his job just escalates the situation. That seems to be the common thread running through all of these instances people are rioting over, the person was guilty of escalation when it simply wasn't necessary. The people like TJ wan't to [BLEEP] about how awful the Pigs are. Yes, police have authority to enforce the law, but within the confines of Civil Rights law. That's why the cop killing George Floyd was wrong even though arresting him was proper. This guy got dropped and inured and the Sergeant should be on the hook for it. The other officers didn't really do anything wrong and the cam shows it. But of course some people exaggerate the situation and even talk in absurdities like bringing the UN to investigate.

A couple of critical things that needs to be pointed out. 

The [BLEEP] UN? Really?
Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.

(06-26-2020, 08:52 AM)Jamies_fried_chicken Wrote:
(06-26-2020, 08:38 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: You want the UN to investigate a case of mistaken identity and overzealous police officers? Seems a little extreme.

Seeing hundreds  of people freed each year from jail for being falsely arrested coupled with poorly trained officers that are in a festered culture to keep silent when civil rights are abused, yes I would welcome a UN investigation since the current government I. Office dosent seem to have a real interest stepping in.

When has the government ever stepped in with effect? 

And no, the UN absolutely has no business investigating this, or anything else in this country as far as I'm concerned. I'm not into the One World Order the liberals seem to be a fan of.

I don't care how much training or how many investigations you have. You are ALWAYS going to have INDIVIDUALS act how they act.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Wonder what would happen to a citizen if they body slammed a cop breaking his wrist. Most likely a prison sentence. Bad cops give cops a bad name.

(06-26-2020, 01:48 PM)Jamies_fried_chicken Wrote:
(06-26-2020, 01:23 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: You said "Fired or arrested" and no, I don't agree with that. That is not the same as being "absolved of discipline." And you harping on the first officer really shows you are being disingenuous in this discussion, the cop was talking to the guy asking him questions that the guy clearly didn't want to answer as he became more hostile with each one and therefore continued to arouse suspicion. The cop isn't going to "go run it for warrants" and leave him standing there on the road so he can bolt when the guy is clearly not acting right.

No I have to disagree, I stated factual information. In regards to the actions of the 2 officer involved. I can respect and understand your defense of the officers in this specific situation, but what is making my conversation with you stagnant is you not acknowledging the fact the civilian was compliant by identifying himself. Again, I would think it’s reasonable to understand his reaction to being falsely accused of something. It is clear we disagree on that.

Providing his ID is not sufficient when he's behaving erratically as he was in the video. That's where we disagree. If more people did it the way I am endorsing we'd have even fewer Floyds and this guy, your way leads to more violence. Fighting, resisting, and being aggressive or rude to the cop checking you out is the road to pain. The sad part is most people understand this an behave appropriately, but the millions of those interactions don't make the headlines or cause riots.

(This post was last modified: 06-27-2020, 09:46 AM by Sammy.)

So I re watched the video a few more times. The officer that body slammed the innocent man used what seems to be the go to reason for physical action. Resisting, which was a lie. Also, before this particular officer had a chance to assess the situation he instantly went straight to a physical assault, and said "Put your hands behind your back like you were told to" ... That never happened in the video.

Yeah. It's pretty clear this officer was in the wrong. His department should review it, and take some kind of punitive action. I think it was an egregious violation, but not sure he should be fired for it. I don't know.... maybe there should be zero tolerance for clear use of unnecessary force.

One slap on the wrist for a broken wrist. Sounds about right to sustain poor policing.

(06-27-2020, 10:08 AM)Sammy Wrote: One slap on the wrist for a broken wrist. Sounds about right to sustain poor policing.

6 month suspension and loss of stripes is about right for what occurred.

(06-27-2020, 10:11 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(06-27-2020, 10:08 AM)Sammy Wrote: One slap on the wrist for a broken wrist. Sounds about right to sustain poor policing.

6 month suspension and loss of stripes is about right for what occurred.

Without pay ... But then he would get unemployment, so a paid vacation.

(06-27-2020, 11:37 AM)Sammy Wrote:
(06-27-2020, 10:11 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: 6 month suspension and loss of stripes is about right for what occurred.

Without pay ... But then he would get unemployment, so a paid vacation.

I don't think you can collect unemployment if you're employed but on disciplinary suspension.

1 month of pay is probably sufficient enough to make the dude think twice about slamming someone. The goal in disciplining police officers should be the same as most criminals: corrective behavior. Punishing someone so severely they can't provide for their family for 6 months isn't corrective. Firing someone for every infraction isn't corrective. Most people can learn. Some can't. Those that show repetitive behaviors should be fired. Not sure where you draw the line, but I know when you have 700k police officers and a world with video cameras, you aren't going to achieve perfection, no matter what.

(06-27-2020, 03:24 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: 1 month of pay is probably sufficient enough to make the dude think twice about slamming someone. The goal in disciplining police officers should be the same as most criminals: corrective behavior. Punishing someone so severely they can't provide for their family for 6 months isn't corrective. Firing someone for every infraction isn't corrective. Most people can learn. Some can't. Those that show repetitive behaviors should be fired. Not sure where you draw the line, but I know when you have 700k police officers and a world with video cameras, you aren't going to achieve perfection, no matter what.

He's a sergeant, a leader. He has a higher expectation of performance and should suffer a higher degree of discipline.

Bad apples in all walks of life, especially when it comes to the police. Sure there are good ones but that gang mentality happens in cops and thugs and military. No matter what they try and and change it won't as long as you got a gang of them.