Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Tech Support??

Can anyone explain why I’d get a “router behind router error” and how to fix it?  For 2+ years I’ve had att gigabit internet.  Fed that to a netgear nighthawk and life was great.  Today my wife got that error Message while trying to login to work.  So I tell her to pull the plug out the nighthawk into att’s modem/router.  That got her through the workday.  Since then I’ve had to eliminate the nighthawk and run everything either wired or wireless from the art equipment.  I used to have everything wired or wireless from the nighthawk.  Called att but they weren’t helpful.  As long as their equipment worked and I had internet problem solved.  I read to turn off WiFi from the att router but that didn’t fix the issue. Any other settings I should change on either piece of equipment?   They both up to date firmware wise.  Just puzzled on why out of the blue it happened. 

I’m up and running off att’s equipment but really want it back how it was. Now my damn thermostat won’t stop saying Not connected to internet! <——now that is truly a “trivial annoyance”.  Any advice is welcomed.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

It's the doohickey thing. It's out of rectification.

But seriously, is the Netgear Nighthawk still on AT&T's list of approved routers? Is it possible it was dropped for whatever reason?

You know, I didn’t think of that. I actually didn’t know that was a thing. But I guess that makes sense. ATT after a few hours of me telling them my issue finally asked if I had a 3rd party equipment. Uh...remember why I called?? Would explain why it just quit working. I suppose the netgear could have just crapped out on me. But not spending the money to find out before I exhaust the other options and or settings that may have changed during updates on either piece of equipment.

(06-29-2020, 08:07 PM)Jags Wrote: Can anyone explain why I’d get a “router behind router error” and how to fix it?  For 2+ years I’ve had att gigabit internet.  Fed that to a netgear nighthawk and life was great.  Today my wife got that error Message while trying to login to work.  So I tell her to pull the plug out the nighthawk into att’s modem/router.  That got her through the workday.  Since then I’ve had to eliminate the nighthawk and run everything either wired or wireless from the art equipment.  I used to have everything wired or wireless from the nighthawk.  Called att but they weren’t helpful.  As long as their equipment worked and I had internet problem solved.  I read to turn off WiFi from the att router but that didn’t fix the issue. Any other settings I should change on either piece of equipment?   They both up to date firmware wise.  Just puzzled on why out of the blue it happened. 

I’m up and running off att’s equipment but really want it back how it was. Now my damn thermostat won’t stop saying Not connected to internet! <——now that is truly a “trivial annoyance”.  Any advice is welcomed.

I'm not sure why you have two routers, but if you do they are supposed to be side by side.
If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 06-30-2020, 03:21 PM by Jagsfan4life9/28/82.)

(06-29-2020, 10:08 PM)rollerjag Wrote:
(06-29-2020, 08:07 PM)Jags Wrote: Can anyone explain why I’d get a “router behind router error” and how to fix it?  For 2+ years I’ve had att gigabit internet.  Fed that to a netgear nighthawk and life was great.  Today my wife got that error Message while trying to login to work.  So I tell her to pull the plug out the nighthawk into att’s modem/router.  That got her through the workday.  Since then I’ve had to eliminate the nighthawk and run everything either wired or wireless from the art equipment.  I used to have everything wired or wireless from the nighthawk.  Called att but they weren’t helpful.  As long as their equipment worked and I had internet problem solved.  I read to turn off WiFi from the att router but that didn’t fix the issue. Any other settings I should change on either piece of equipment?   They both up to date firmware wise.  Just puzzled on why out of the blue it happened. 

I'm not sure why you have two routers, but if you do they are supposed to be side by side.

This isn't true. My base work location has one router fed by another to serve another area the first will not reach. Works perfectly.

(06-29-2020, 10:47 PM)Jagsfan4life9/28/82 Wrote:
(06-29-2020, 10:08 PM)rollerjag Wrote: I'm not sure why you have two routers, but if you do they are supposed to be side by side.

This isn't true. My base work location has one router fed by another to serve another area the first will reach. Works perfectly.

That's not what I posted. Do you put one router behind the other, or are they placed side by side? This is what's important.
- Bob Marley

I'd definitely check the fratistat or possibly the gonculator.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 06-30-2020, 03:22 PM by Jagsfan4life9/28/82.)

(06-30-2020, 10:09 AM)rollerjag Wrote:
(06-29-2020, 10:47 PM)Jagsfan4life9/28/82 Wrote: This isn't true. My base work location has one router fed by another to serve another area the first will not reach. Works perfectly.

That's not what I posted. Do you put one router behind the other, or are they placed side by side? This is what's important.

Am I being trolled? I feel as if I've been whooshed. If not, I have no idea what you're talking about. There's really only one way to connect two routers to one WAN and that is to feed the WAN input of the second router with a LAN output of the the first router. I'm guessing that's what you mean by "one router behind the other", but I can assure you this most definitely works. I don't know what you mean by "side by side", except maybe two routers fed by two separate WANs. That would also work, but why would someone pay for two internet connections when they don't need to?

Sorry, I never attempted to address your question. Considering it worked as is for two years, I'd be less likely to suspect a configuration issue and more likely to suspect an equipment failure issue. I wonder what would happen if you replaced the AT&T router with the Netgear router? How many output ports are on the AT&T router? Perhaps the one the Netgear router is connected to is bad. Try switching ports.

(06-30-2020, 03:49 PM)Jagsfan4life9/28/82 Wrote:

Sorry, I never attempted to address your question. Considering it worked as is for two years, I'd be less likely to suspect a configuration issue and more likely to suspect an equipment failure issue. I wonder what would happen if you replaced the AT&T router with the Netgear router? How many output ports are on the AT&T router? Perhaps the one the Netgear router is connected to is bad. Try switching ports.
I’ve got four ports.  They all seem to work.  I haven’t tried taking out the ATT router.  This isn’t my forte but I was under the impression I had to have it connected since it is a modem as well?  I reset the netgear but never did a factory reset.  So I’m going to try that.  For the life of me, I can’t remember why I bought the netgear router and the pros to having it instead of Using the ATT one.  Probably gaming related.  Was much easier to open ports for the Xbox and give it a static IP. Idk.   So who knows.  If it doesn’t work I may just roll with ATT’s equipment.

(This post was last modified: 06-30-2020, 08:34 PM by Jagsfan4life9/28/82.)

(06-30-2020, 05:52 PM)Jags Wrote:
(06-30-2020, 03:49 PM)Jagsfan4life9/28/82 Wrote: Sorry, I never attempted to address your question. Considering it worked as is for two years, I'd be less likely to suspect a configuration issue and more likely to suspect an equipment failure issue. I wonder what would happen if you replaced the AT&T router with the Netgear router? How many output ports are on the AT&T router? Perhaps the one the Netgear router is connected to is bad. Try switching ports.
I’ve got four ports.  They all seem to work.  I haven’t tried taking out the ATT router.  This isn’t my forte but I was under the impression I had to have it connected since it is a modem as well?  I reset the netgear but never did a factory reset.  So I’m going to try that.  For the life of me, I can’t remember why I bought the netgear router and the pros to having it instead of Using the ATT one.  Probably gaming related.  Was much easier to open ports for the Xbox and give it a static IP. Idk.   So who knows.  If it doesn’t work I may just roll with ATT’s equipment.

Regarding the AT&T modem, you may be right. If it's DSL, you're definitely right, though you said your service is gigabit, so no? My service provider NID is a fiber fed ONT, so service comes off it as WAN ready via CAT5, meaning I can get service directly from the NID, no router required. 

If it's working as is, and you can't remember the need for the Netgear, I'd say leave it as is.

(06-30-2020, 03:20 PM)Jagsfan4life9/28/82 Wrote:
(06-30-2020, 10:09 AM)rollerjag Wrote: That's not what I posted. Do you put one router behind the other, or are they placed side by side? This is what's important.

Am I being trolled? I feel as if I've been whooshed. If not, I have no idea what you're talking about. There's really only one way to connect two routers to one WAN and that is to feed the WAN input of the second router with a LAN output of the the first router. I'm guessing that's what you mean by "one router behind the other", but I can assure you this most definitely works. I don't know what you mean by "side by side", except maybe two routers fed by two separate WANs. That would also work, but why would someone pay for two internet connections when they don't need to?

I have no idea, I didn't start this thread. I just know that if there are two routers they won't work placing one in front of the other. Have you never heard the saying "Front and back, you're a hack. Side by side, and let it ride"?
- Bob Marley

(06-30-2020, 10:09 AM)rollerjag Wrote:
(06-29-2020, 10:47 PM)Jagsfan4life9/28/82 Wrote: This isn't true. My base work location has one router fed by another to serve another area the first will reach. Works perfectly.

Laughing
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

(07-01-2020, 09:53 AM)rollerjag Wrote:
(06-30-2020, 03:20 PM)Jagsfan4life9/28/82 Wrote: Am I being trolled? I feel as if I've been whooshed. If not, I have no idea what you're talking about. There's really only one way to connect two routers to one WAN and that is to feed the WAN input of the second router with a LAN output of the the first router. I'm guessing that's what you mean by "one router behind the other", but I can assure you this most definitely works. I don't know what you mean by "side by side", except maybe two routers fed by two separate WANs. That would also work, but why would someone pay for two internet connections when they don't need to?

I have no idea, I didn't start this thread. I just know that if there are two routers they won't work placing one in front of the other. Have you never heard the saying "Front and back, you're a hack. Side by side, and let it ride"?

So trolled it is.

Routers, modems, yada, yada, yada… All I know is my neighbor has really good internet speed.

He hasn’t found the buried extension cord, either. But that’s another story.

(07-01-2020, 01:19 PM)Jagsfan4life9/28/82 Wrote:
(07-01-2020, 09:53 AM)rollerjag Wrote: I have no idea, I didn't start this thread. I just know that if there are two routers they won't work placing one in front of the other. Have you never heard the saying "Front and back, you're a hack. Side by side, and let it ride"?

So trolled it is.

Sorry, man. When you didn't catch my sarcasm the first time, I couldn't stop myself.
- Bob Marley

(07-01-2020, 01:38 PM)rollerjag Wrote:
(07-01-2020, 01:19 PM)Jagsfan4life9/28/82 Wrote: So trolled it is.

Sorry, man. When you didn't catch my sarcasm the first time, I couldn't stop myself.

Haha, you got me. In turn, I'm going to steal the "front and back, you're a hack..." and use it on the conference bridge for the next outage at work.

Well, I was going to leave it with the att router alone. But holy crap the wireless is now slow as can be. Used to load pages instantly. Now there’s a nice lag. Whenever I get some free time off work, I’ll try the suggestion of just using the netgear. Then I’ll try replacing it. So maybe that’s why I had it.

(07-01-2020, 06:44 PM)Jags Wrote: Well, I was going to leave it with the att router alone.  But holy crap the wireless is now slow as can be. Used to load pages instantly.  Now there’s a nice lag.   Whenever I get some free time off work, I’ll try the suggestion of just using the netgear.  Then I’ll try replacing it.  So maybe that’s why I had it.

With At&t it is going to depend. I have gigabit or 1000, whatever it is called. The do not support anything officially, but it should all work fine. Here is how I'm setup and I have no issues, but it could depend if you have a different version of gateway.

Gateway is setup as normal, you can choose to shut off wifi if you have access to plug in if needed. Any port on the gateway is plugged into the WAN port on my ASUS router. Then on your router, you need to change the LAN IP address so it doesn't overlap with the gateway. I set mine to 192.168.2.X since the gateway is 192.168.1.X. Then all the automatic settings on the router should enable you access everything.

I used to have to set the ip address and bind it on the router, so if you have an older gateway it may be more difficult.

You are right that the At&t gateway is way too slow and cannot handle wifi traffic needed, specially if you have many wifi or smart devices.

(07-02-2020, 11:54 AM)p_rushing Wrote:
(07-01-2020, 06:44 PM)Jags Wrote: Well, I was going to leave it with the att router alone.  But holy crap the wireless is now slow as can be. Used to load pages instantly.  Now there’s a nice lag.   Whenever I get some free time off work, I’ll try the suggestion of just using the netgear.  Then I’ll try replacing it.  So maybe that’s why I had it.

With At&t it is going to depend. I have gigabit or 1000, whatever it is called. The do not support anything officially, but it should all work fine. Here is how I'm setup and I have no issues, but it could depend if you have a different version of gateway.

Gateway is setup as normal, you can choose to shut off wifi if you have access to plug in if needed. Any port on the gateway is plugged into the WAN port on my ASUS router. Then on your router, you need to change the LAN IP address so it doesn't overlap with the gateway. I set mine to 192.168.2.X since the gateway is 192.168.1.X. Then all the automatic settings on the router should enable you access everything.

I used to have to set the ip address and bind it on the router, so if you have an older gateway it may be more difficult.

You are right that the At&t gateway is way too slow and cannot handle wifi traffic needed, specially if you have many wifi or smart devices.

Thanks for the advice.  Perhaps I did all that to begin with.  After all it worked for two years.  I’ll poke around some more.  

You know, I never thought of it, but am starting to wonder if the 2 routers are now caught up in the left/right/race thing that’s tearing us apart.  Technology IS taking over us!!! Run!  Ok, enough of that in this section.  

Thanks for the help, my man.