Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
GOP Congressmen Urge Action on Taliban/Russian Bounties

(06-30-2020, 05:58 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: So the fake news story by the NYT seems to have vanished rather quickly.  When a "news" story by the NYT (as well as other MSM outlets) cites "unnamed sources" you can almost bet that the story is fake.

With that being said what is most disturbing is that sensitive data was certainly leaked to help the NYT come up with it's latest Russia fantasy.

Where did you get the idea that the story has vanished?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Looks like I need to change my opinion on this one. Apparently the intelligence was credible enough to share with NATO allies. But the president and the gang of eight say they never got it. Something is deeply wrong with that picture. Sounds like someone in IC was trying to keep the whole story out of the press, even if it means not informing anyone in civilian leadership.
It could be that the president was informed, and he forgot about it, deliberately or not. But why wasn't the gang of eight informed?
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(07-01-2020, 05:40 PM)mikesez Wrote: Looks like I need to change my opinion on this one. Apparently the intelligence was credible enough to share with NATO allies. But the president and the gang of eight say they never got it. Something is deeply wrong with that picture. Sounds like someone in IC was trying to keep the whole story out of the press, even if it means not informing anyone in civilian leadership.
It could be that the president was informed, and he forgot about it, deliberately or not. But why wasn't the gang of eight informed?

That's easy to answer and has already been answered.  The intelligence leak to the NYT was never deemed "credible".  It was part of an ongoing investigation.  Unless a possible threat is considered credible, there are no briefings to senior officials.

But RUSSIA!

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(06-30-2020, 05:58 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: So the fake news story by the NYT seems to have vanished rather quickly.  When a "news" story by the NYT (as well as other MSM outlets) cites "unnamed sources" you can almost bet that the story is fake.

With that being said what is most disturbing is that sensitive data was certainly leaked to help the NYT come up with it's latest Russia fantasy.

Vanished? Not at all, and now they're following the money trail.
If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

(06-30-2020, 04:15 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(06-30-2020, 01:01 PM)rollerjag Wrote: Apparently every time a report comes out that's critical of President Trump, you're supposed to call it fake news.

We have an unsubstantiated report about this bounty story, but if he does strike back, a la Soleimani, he's accused of murdering a plane load of civilians.

Which happened nowhere ever, but stick to your guns!
- Bob Marley

(07-01-2020, 06:08 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(07-01-2020, 05:40 PM)mikesez Wrote: Looks like I need to change my opinion on this one. Apparently the intelligence was credible enough to share with NATO allies. But the president and the gang of eight say they never got it. Something is deeply wrong with that picture. Sounds like someone in IC was trying to keep the whole story out of the press, even if it means not informing anyone in civilian leadership.

That's easy to answer and has already been answered.  The intelligence leak to the NYT was never deemed "credible".  It was part of an ongoing investigation.  Unless a possible threat is considered credible, there are no briefings to senior officials.

But RUSSIA!

Trump was briefed in writing last February.
- Bob Marley

(07-01-2020, 06:17 PM)rollerjag Wrote:
(07-01-2020, 06:08 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: That's easy to answer and has already been answered.  The intelligence leak to the NYT was never deemed "credible".  It was part of an ongoing investigation.  Unless a possible threat is considered credible, there are no briefings to senior officials.

But RUSSIA!

Trump was briefed in writing last February.

Again citing "unnamed sources".

From your article from the fake NYT.

Quote:“We are still investigating the alleged intelligence referenced in recent media reporting, and we will brief the president and congressional leaders at the appropriate time,” he said. “This is the analytic process working the way it should. Unfortunately, unauthorized disclosures now jeopardize our ability to ever find out the full story with respect to these allegations.

My best guess is that there may have been a blurb in a daily report regarding an investigation into allegations, but nothing was deemed credible.

Ask yourself this.  Why would Taliban fighters need a monetary incentive to kill U.S. troops?

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Wow. Interesting!

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/12785...85858?s=19

(07-02-2020, 12:12 PM)JackCity Wrote: Wow. Interesting!

Lol, the Imperialists continue to prevent our withdrawal.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(07-02-2020, 12:33 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(07-02-2020, 12:12 PM)JackCity Wrote: Wow. Interesting!

Lol, the Imperialists continue to prevent our withdrawal.

People often errantly bring up "the deep state" But the above is a very good example of it

Every day is a good day to withdraw our troops from Afghanistan. I just hope, for decency's sake, we take the Afghans who collaborated closest with us with us when we leave. Whoever we leave behind will be tortured and killed by the Taliban.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

Who, in the deity's name, would be against withdrawing from Afghanistan?

(07-01-2020, 06:33 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(07-01-2020, 06:17 PM)rollerjag Wrote: Trump was briefed in writing last February.

Again citing "unnamed sources".

From your article from the fake NYT.

Quote:“We are still investigating the alleged intelligence referenced in recent media reporting, and we will brief the president and congressional leaders at the appropriate time,” he said. “This is the analytic process working the way it should. Unfortunately, unauthorized disclosures now jeopardize our ability to ever find out the full story with respect to these allegations.

My best guess is that there may have been a blurb in a daily report regarding an investigation into allegations, but nothing was deemed credible.

Ask yourself this.  Why would Taliban fighters need a monetary incentive to kill U.S. troops?

Fake NYT? Quoting Trumpettes now, are we? When did you become so intellectually lazy? 

Read more about it. It was fringe groups willing to do anything for money.
- Bob Marley

(07-02-2020, 01:19 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Who, in the deity's name, would be against withdrawing from Afghanistan?

It is a reaction to the horrible "deal" Trump cut with the Taliban.

Quote:Rep. Liz Cheney (Wyo.), the No. 3 House Republican, argued the amendment “lays out, in a very responsible level of specificity, what is going to be required if we are going to in fact make decisions about troop levels based on conditions on the ground and based on what's required for our own security, not based on political timelines."

“And that is crucially important, and I think it is our number one priority,” she added.
Source.
- Bob Marley

(07-02-2020, 01:25 PM)rollerjag Wrote:
(07-02-2020, 01:19 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Who, in the deity's name, would be against withdrawing from Afghanistan?

It is a reaction to the horrible "deal" Trump cut with the Taliban.

Quote:Rep. Liz Cheney (Wyo.), the No. 3 House Republican, argued the amendment “lays out, in a very responsible level of specificity, what is going to be required if we are going to in fact make decisions about troop levels based on conditions on the ground and based on what's required for our own security, not based on political timelines."

“And that is crucially important, and I think it is our number one priority,” she added.
Source.

The "deal" isn't horrible, it's the Taliban's unwillingness to uphold it. So we find ourselves in an endless mission to contain a group of radicalized insurgents who have shown no compunction to lie to anyone's face. I'm curious as to Liz Cheney's methods for dealing with that.

(06-30-2020, 10:20 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(06-30-2020, 04:32 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: There is a lot to be learned from children's books. They have the ability to take complicated topics and make them understandable to people with smaller brains. 

In your case, this one unsurprisingly went right over your head.
I’m completely unsurprised that you tout children’s books while supporting a man who literally dispatched his minions today  to convince the public he can read.

(06-30-2020, 09:25 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote: Why would Russia put bounties on US troops if Trump is a Russian puppet?

LOL

UMMMM.... Because Trump isn’t on the ground in Afghanistan. He’s tweeting some racist [BLEEP] from a golf course.

Russia gains absolutely nothing from putting bounties on US troops. Nothing. 

Trump wants out, so let’s kill troops to motivate trump into staying... that’s absurd.

[Image: 1oxpf1.jpg]
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 07-02-2020, 03:29 PM by Lucky2Last.)

So, just so I'm clear, Liz Cheney, the daughter of Dick Cheney... the guy all the Dems hated a few years ago... the dude from Haliburton... the company that profits from foreign wars. He's leading a resolution to block Trump from withdrawing the troops from Afghanistan. And this is acceptable to anyone on the left because why?

I don't believe Trump is the problem some of you think he is. This is a perfect example of the corruption in DC, and if we had elected any establishment candidate as President, they wouldn't even need to make that resolution.

(This post was last modified: 07-02-2020, 03:33 PM by The Real Marty.)

(07-02-2020, 02:55 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote:
(06-30-2020, 10:20 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: I’m completely unsurprised that you tout children’s books while supporting a man who literally dispatched his minions today  to convince the public he can read.

LOL

UMMMM.... Because Trump isn’t on the ground in Afghanistan. He’s tweeting some racist [BLEEP] from a golf course.

Russia gains absolutely nothing from putting bounties on US troops. Nothing. 

Trump wants out, so let’s kill troops to motivate trump into staying... that’s absurd.

There has been some speculation about the motive that I have read.  It has to do with this incident:  

https://www.newsweek.com/total-f-russian...ens-818073

A force of about 500, including a couple of hundred Syrian government troops, backed up by several hundred Russian mercenaries, attacked about 40 US troops.  The US troops called in air support and the attacking forces got hammered really badly.  And there are recordings of the Russian mercenaries on their phones complaining about it.  Apparently a lot of Russians were killed in the encounter.  No US soldiers were killed.  

That actually happened, but whether this is any part of the motivation for the Russians to pay bounties to the Taliban for killing US soldiers is of course speculative.