Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
What if Bortles completes that pass

What if Gilmore doesn’t deflect the pass in the 2017 playoffs. Do you think if we scored on that play it would go down as our biggest play in Jags history?

Bigger than fade to glory?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(07-01-2020, 04:30 AM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: What if Gilmore doesn’t deflect the pass in the 2017 playoffs. Do you think if we scored on that play it would go down as our biggest play in Jags history?

Had Bortles not underthrown that pass, we might still be trying to salvage Bortles' career, which would be rough. 
But we'd have a superbowl in our archives to celebrate, which outweighs most anything for fans I guess. 

The play would probably go down as the biggest in Jags history to date. It was a 4th down play BTW. Even more drama. 

Alas, Bortles is Bortles. 
He under threw it, Westbrook had to slow down to wait on it, and that gave Gilmore a chance to make an incredible play on the ball.

(07-01-2020, 04:30 AM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: What if Gilmore doesn’t deflect the pass in the 2017 playoffs. Do you think if we scored on that play it would go down as our biggest play in Jags history?

It's too painful to think about.  Myles Jack wasn't down.  And how about a little pass defense on 3rd and long?  There are too many different plays where we came within inches of going to the Super Bowl.

Please man, stop. It’s too early for this

Nothing will ever be as painful as the 1999 AFC Championship game loss to the Titans, in Jacksonville. We beat the Dolphins 62-7 and then a week later we lost to the Titans. We wound up 15-3 including the playoffs, with all 3 losses to the hated Titans.

Losing to the Pats in 2017 will never compare to that.

(07-01-2020, 09:24 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Nothing will ever be as painful as the 1999 AFC Championship game loss to the Titans, in Jacksonville.  We beat the Dolphins 62-7 and then a week later we lost to the Titans.  We wound up 15-3 including the playoffs, with all 3 losses to the hated Titans.  

Facts. To lose to the same team 3 times shows what poor coaching the Jags really had.

(07-01-2020, 02:12 PM)uthill Wrote:
(07-01-2020, 09:24 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Nothing will ever be as painful as the 1999 AFC Championship game loss to the Titans, in Jacksonville.  We beat the Dolphins 62-7 and then a week later we lost to the Titans.  We wound up 15-3 including the playoffs, with all 3 losses to the hated Titans.  

Facts. To lose to the same team 3 times shows what poor coaching the Jags really had.

I mean, Fisher stole the Jags' playbook, so I'm not sure it's necessarily on the coaching.

(07-01-2020, 03:15 PM)JaguarKick Wrote:
(07-01-2020, 02:12 PM)uthill Wrote: Facts. To lose to the same team 3 times shows what poor coaching the Jags really had.

I mean, Fisher stole the Jags' playbook, so I'm not sure it's necessarily on the coaching.

Not calling you a liar but was it ever proven that the playbook was stolen?

(07-01-2020, 04:44 PM)WhyWouldYouPostThat Wrote:
(07-01-2020, 03:15 PM)JaguarKick Wrote: I mean, Fisher stole the Jags' playbook, so I'm not sure it's necessarily on the coaching.

Not calling you a liar but was it ever proven that the playbook was stolen?

Pretty much yes. Best evidence is the Ravens 2000 superbowl Americas game feature on NFL Network. so the year after 1999 when they stole our playbook; when the ravens were on the road in Nashville, Trent Dilfer (backup QB at the time) playbook goes missing from his locker. Flash forward to when they meet in the playoffs, and he notices that they adjust for run/pass when he audibles almost seamlessly. Noticing this and remembering his playbook missing from earlier in the season, they flip their audibles and use it to bait the Titans into playing run when they wanted to pass or vice versa for several big plays to break the game open. As for the Jags, just before the half on the Titans goalline Brunnell audibles and is picked off, I strongly believe that was from them knowing exactly which play was called. Also I believe it was Reynaldo Wynn who first confirmed the missing playbook.
Championship Formula:

1) Draft Trevor Lawrence!
2) Play good physical Defense! 
3) Keep 91% of the roster healthy!
4) ???
5) Blank #2
6) CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

(07-01-2020, 02:12 PM)uthill Wrote:

I'm pretty sure it was the only instance in NFL history where a team lost to another team three times in one season.
Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.

(07-02-2020, 03:40 PM)I’ll JaG4LyFe Wrote:
(07-01-2020, 02:12 PM)uthill Wrote: Facts. To lose to the same team 3 times shows what poor coaching the Jags really had.

I'm pretty sure it was the only instance in NFL history where a team lost to another team three times in one season.

The 2008 Ravens lost to the Steelers three times. I can’t imagine it’s happened too many times though.

I remember being so hyped up about that 1999 playoff run. We had a first round bye. Then we killed the Dolphins.

I remember I wanted to play the Bills instead of the Titans. And then the Music City Miracle happened.

However I think we were winning at halftime and then the bottom fell out.

(07-03-2020, 06:20 AM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: I remember being so hyped up about that 1999 playoff run. We had a first round bye. Then we killed the Dolphins.

I remember I wanted to play the Bills instead of the Titans. And then the Music City Miracle happened.

However I think we were winning at halftime and then the bottom fell out.

We were ahead at the half, and they just shoved us around like we were little kids in the second half.  I remember, I was sitting in the South end zone and we had the ball on about our 5 yard line, Brunell drops back to throw out of the end zone, and our two offensive guards got pushed back into Brunell and he got tackled for a safety.  Then I remember later in the game, Steve McNair running toward the North end zone, and I have this memory of him getting smaller and smaller in the distance.

McNair killed us by scrambling. When we committed to McNair, he would pull up and throw to a wide open receiver.

(07-03-2020, 10:37 AM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: McNair killed us by scrambling. When we committed to McNair, he would pull up and throw to a wide open receiver.

Yes, true.  They also won the battle in the trenches.

(07-02-2020, 03:40 PM)JaG4LyFe Wrote:

It's happened 17 times since 1950, we're just the only ones with only 3 losses on the season and all of them to the same team.

https://sports.stackexchange.com/questio...a%20Eagles

Too painful. I just envision Westbrook dropping it if Bortles throws the ball on point.

(This post was last modified: 07-03-2020, 02:00 PM by mikesez.)

I was 15 years old watching the Titans playoff game on TV. I actually didn't have my hopes up too high because they had already beaten us twice and one of those two times they destroyed us something like 41 to 20. Also, since that was only their fifth year in the league, and they had been to the playoffs four out of those five years, I figured there would be lots more opportunities to see them go to the super bowl.
I saw the Titans dominating in the trenches especially in the second half, and knew they were going to win and I accepted it. I thought back to the 1997 playoffs where I watched Terrell Davis just repeatedly gash the Jaguars and I got really stressed out about it. As I watched Eddie George and Steve McNair do the same thing, I had context and I understood.
To me the 2017 Patriots game is the most heartbreaking of all, because the jags did dominate in the trenches and they did get creative with their play calling and it still didn't work.

To answer the original question, I don't think Bortles is still a Jaguar today, even if he wins a Super Bowl for us.
The contract extension we offered him after 2017 would have been bigger, but not much bigger, with a Super bowl win on his resume. I don't think we would have been any less willing to part ways in 2019, unless his performances and 2018 and 2019 were somehow better.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(07-03-2020, 01:56 PM)mikesez Wrote: I was 15 years old watching the Titans playoff game on TV. I actually didn't have my hopes up too high because they had already beaten us twice and one of those two times they destroyed us something like 41 to 20. Also, since that was only their fifth year in the league, and they had been to the playoffs four out of those five years, I figured there would be lots more opportunities to see them go to the super bowl.
I saw the Titans dominating in the trenches especially in the second half, and knew they were going to win and I accepted it. I thought back to the 1997 playoffs where I watched Terrell Davis just repeatedly gash the Jaguars and I got really stressed out about it. As I watched Eddie George and Steve McNair do the same thing, I had context and I understood.
To me the 2017 Patriots game is the most heartbreaking of all, because the jags did dominate in the trenches and they did get creative with their play calling and it still didn't work.

To answer the original question, I don't think Bortles is still a Jaguar today, even if he wins a Super Bowl for us.
The contract extension we offered him after 2017 would have been bigger, but not much bigger, with a Super bowl win on his resume.  I don't think we would have been any less willing to part ways in 2019, unless his performances and 2018 and 2019 were somehow better.

You bring up an interesting scenario. If he completes that pass, we go to the Super Bowl. I think we would have beat Nick Foles and the Eagles to give us our first championship. 

I think we still let him walk.

Why would you do this to me?