Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Report: NFL to play song known as the Black National Anthem before season openers

https://www.naacp.org/naacp-history-lift...-and-sing/

Lift Every Voice and Sing – often called “The Black National Anthem” – was written as a poem by NAACP leader James Weldon Johnson (1871-1938) and then set to music by his brother John Rosamond Johnson (1873-1954) in 1899. It was first performed in public in the Johnsons’ hometown of Jacksonville, Florida as part of a celebration of Lincoln’s Birthday on February 12, 1900 by a choir of 500 schoolchildren at the segregated Stanton School, where James Weldon Johnson was principal. (Scroll for more about Johnson below.)
Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 07-06-2020, 03:48 PM by Lucky2Last.)

(07-06-2020, 02:59 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(07-06-2020, 02:49 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: Obviously, that is a super reductionist point of view. It's an oversimplification meant to juxtapose the positions. 

You may not think that is what conservatives are upset about, but ...

....There is a long history in this country of white liberals offering up platitudes to the black community so they can maintain moral authority, and, by extension, actual authority. 

I see nothing wrong with conservatives fighting for unity by holding firm to the belief that there should be occasions where we all see each other as one nation, indivisible. It is a solid principle. I wish they would do more to help their black brothers and sisters feel included, but the way democrats have chosen to "help" the black community has only made things in this country worse. And the fact they admit they have to pacify the black community from time to time should be a strong indicator of how ineffective their solutions have been.

There you go again. Blindly just pinning something conveniently on "democrats" that is true of politicians in general. 

Weak [BLEEP] sauce. 

You do that frequently.

Why can't you own it, dude? In that same segment, I pointed out a flaw in conservatives. I am willing to look at our dirty parts. Own yours. I wish I had data to support my claim, but I only have my circle of friends. I can promise you that not one of my black friends cares about the black national anthem being played before games. Not one. This is not to say there are none. I am sure some people are grateful, but for what? Lip service? Would you care about that? I wouldn't. You don't think they recognize that for what it is? Only a fool would think this SHOULD be something acceptable to blacks. Always a different standard. The more I talk with white liberals, the more I think they are just guilty of projecting their racism on everyone else. It makes sense, too, if you understood the history of progressives. 

My white liberal friends have all had the same response, "At least we're doing something." You want to talk about weak sauce? That's it, right there. Who does that actually placate?

And no, it's not true of politicians in general. I have stated on here multiple times that conservatives don't care about blacks. They are as indifferent as you can get, to a fault. So you don't hear that same level of pandering coming out of the right.

(07-06-2020, 03:18 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Thread title altered for clarity/accuracy.

The song "reportedly" to be performed prior to the 1st week of games is sometimes referred to as "the black nat'l anthem."

There is no report that the performance of that song is intended to serve as a separate anthem in any way, and that makes the article headline linked by the OP as well as the original title of this thread misleading.

I agree that this should not be portrayed as the black national anthem. It's something I have had to repeatedly clarify to my conservatives friends, who have an emotional negative response due to the way this is framed.... BY THE MEDIA. It's divisive garbage, man. When are we going to stop getting played?

(07-06-2020, 03:06 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(07-06-2020, 02:15 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: So we are going to further divide by playing "their" national anthem and throwing "them" a bone.  Got it.

You making it an "us" and "they" thing is precisely where you are [BLEEP] this up. 

It's a song.  And again - the only people calling it the "black national anthem" or portraying this musical tribute to civil rights to serve as a separate "anthem" at all are the media and a few posters here. 

The NFL has not deemed it such and they haven't even confirmed the report as far as I can tell. 

If YOU personally want to make this into a "THEY" get their own "anthem" now thing, well, that's all on you. 100%. 

Because - as far as I can tell - there's merely a report that, for one week, a song is going to be performed before games.

No one is raising a flag during this song. 
No one is asking you to take your hat off and place a hand over your heart.
No one is saying this is the anthem for one group of people in place of the Star Spangled Banner. 
No one is making you get offended by it but you.

I'm not the one that made/is making this an "us" or "they" thing.  Those are the words used by the person that said that sometimes "we need to throw them a bone".  I simply pointed out how it was insulting and divisive.  Go back through this thread and point to where I made an argument otherwise to make it an "us" and "they" issue.

It may be "just a song", but it is often referred to as the "Black National Anthem" not just by media.

By the way... it doesn't "offend" me in the least bit.  The people that should be offended are the ones that some want to "throw a bone" to.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(07-06-2020, 03:18 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Thread title altered for clarity/accuracy.

The song "reportedly" to be performed prior to the 1st week of games is sometimes referred to as "the black nat'l anthem."

There is no report that the performance of that song is intended to serve as a separate anthem in any way, and that makes the article headline linked by the OP as well as the original title of this thread misleading.

If we are altering a thread title for clarity/accuracy, should we not include that the song is also known as "The Black National Anthem" which is how it has been reported in the media?

I would also argue that the original title nor the OP is not misleading since it was a direct quote from a national sports media outlet (although I know that anything coming from NBC is probably misleading).

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(07-06-2020, 03:58 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:

If we are altering a thread title for clarity/accuracy, should we not include that the song is also known as "The Black National Anthem" which is how it has been reported in the media?

I would also argue that the original title nor the OP is not misleading since it was a direct quote from a national sports media outlet (although I know that anything coming from NBC is probably misleading).
If you want to add a misleading parenthetical to an already long winded title, go for it.

(07-06-2020, 03:50 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(07-06-2020, 03:06 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: You making it an "us" and "they" thing is precisely where you are [BLEEP] this up. 

It's a song.  And again - the only people calling it the "black national anthem" or portraying this musical tribute to civil rights to serve as a separate "anthem" at all are the media and a few posters here. 

The NFL has not deemed it such and they haven't even confirmed the report as far as I can tell. 

If YOU personally want to make this into a "THEY" get their own "anthem" now thing, well, that's all on you. 100%. 

Because - as far as I can tell - there's merely a report that, for one week, a song is going to be performed before games.

No one is raising a flag during this song. 
No one is asking you to take your hat off and place a hand over your heart.
No one is saying this is the anthem for one group of people in place of the Star Spangled Banner. 
No one is making you get offended by it but you.

I'm not the one that made/is making this an "us" or "they" thing.  Those are the words used by the person that said that sometimes "we need to throw them a bone".  I simply pointed out how it was insulting and divisive.  Go back through this thread and point to where I made an argument otherwise to make it an "us" and "they" issue.

It may be "just a song", but it is often referred to as the "Black National Anthem" not just by media.

By the way... it doesn't "offend" me in the least bit.  The people that should be offended are the ones that some want to "throw a bone" to.

Did you not call it  “a separate black national anthem” in a prior post? 

(Another reason I altered the title)

Also, I just want to point out, in the last several days, I have done the following:

Condemned conservatives for not caring enough about black communities
Condemned Trump for several of his tweets
Condemned conservatives for not wearing masks
Condemned Fox news for misleading pictures (in two different threads)
Retracted a statement and apologized for an incorrect assumption I made regarding the incident where the elderly man was shoved to the ground
Accused conservatives of being easily manipulated by their moral convictions

That's just off the top of my head. I'm sure there would be more if I went back and looked at it. 

Please show me where you've done the same. There's a chance I've missed it (because people are notorious for being myopic), but if you're not calling out your own, don't get on to me for pointing out the deficiencies in the democratic party, because you certainly don't hold back your thoughts about Republicans. I definitely have bias, and have admitted it several times. I am just barely right of center on every political compass test I've taken. I do cast aspersions at progressives, and rarely use the word interchangeably with liberal. This is because I think there is a difference between the two. I happen to have a lot in common with a traditional democratic liberal. 

In the instance above, I didn't use progressive because I think white liberal is the correct group this action intends to appease. I think the NFL is placating the white liberal democrats in this country (which are many), by just trying to do something. The something, like most things implemented in our history, actually does nothing. More people should find this offensive, and I believe, the only reason this is getting a pass is because the noisiest, most disruptive minority in this country (the progressives) love division.

The article quoted called it the Black National Anthem. There is no need for clarification of the thread title. Whether or not it is the BNA is not the subject of the article.
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

Maybe put it in quotes, at least? Fair compromise.

(07-06-2020, 06:18 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote: The article quoted called it the Black National Anthem. There is no need for clarification of the thread title. Whether or not it is the BNA is not the subject of the article.

Moddess hath spoken. Hail Moddess!!!!
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

I am pretty sure that they have sung this song at the beginning of sporting events before. Maybe even football games. I know I've heard it before.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(07-06-2020, 06:37 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: Maybe put it in quotes, at least? Fair compromise.

Why does there need to be a fair compromise, there is nothing unfair about it. It’s the EXACT title of the article written, it’s not the OP making a judgment call on the song.

Liberals try to ruin everything and ban free speech any chance they get. Pathetic. Thank you to some mods for standing up for free speech.

(07-06-2020, 07:30 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Liberals try to ruin everything and ban free speech any chance they get. Pathetic. Thank you to some mods for standing up for free speech.

Hey now, don’t think this is me against him thing...cuz I love NYC to pieces. Love 
I don’t have a dog in this fight, it’s just the title of the article.

(07-06-2020, 06:18 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote: The article quoted called it the Black National Anthem. There is no need for clarification of the thread title. Whether or not it is the BNA is not the subject of the article.

Lift Every Voice and Sing is only known anecdotally (casually) as "the black national anthem." 
There is nothing official in that monniker. Labeling it as such is misrepresenting it.

The article is a blurb from a third party (PFT) quoting an ESPN reporter who says an unnamed source told him the song would be performed. 

The third party article quoted by the OP contains an intentionally misleading title that leads readers to believe that the performance of this SONG serves as some separate anthem for a subset of Americans.

As there has been NOTHING from the NFL to confirm the song will be sung at all - and certainly no information that it will serve as a national anthem for anyone  - THE TITLE IS MISLEADING.

(love you too)

(This post was last modified: 07-06-2020, 07:45 PM by StroudCrowd1.)

(07-06-2020, 07:43 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:

Lift Every Voice and Sing is only known anecdotally (casually) as "the black national anthem." 
There is nothing official in that monniker. 

The article is a blurb from a third party (PFT) quoting an ESPN reporter who says an unnamed source told him the song would be performed. 

The third party article quoted by the OP contains an intentionally misleading title that leads readers to believe that the performance of this SONG serves as some separate anthem for a subset of Americans.

As there has been NOTHING from the NFL to confirm the song will be sung at all - and certainly no information that it will serve as a national anthem for anyone  - THE TITLE IS MISLEADING.

(love you too)

Mike Florio and his staff of goons are more left wing than you are. The title is perfect.

(07-06-2020, 07:45 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(07-06-2020, 07:43 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Lift Every Voice and Sing is only known anecdotally (casually) as "the black national anthem." 
There is nothing official in that monniker. 

(love you too)

Mike Florio and his staff of goons are more left wing than you are. The title is perfect.

This isn't about Florio. 
This isn't about me. 

This is about whether it's OK to lead people to believe there are two anthems being performed separately in week one - when in reality there is one anthem   -  and before that anthem there is a song paying tribute to the civil rights movement.

(07-06-2020, 07:43 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:

There is nothing official in that monniker. Labeling it as such is misrepresenting it.

(love you too)

Misleading or not, my point is that is the exact title of article he linked.

(07-06-2020, 07:48 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(07-06-2020, 07:45 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Mike Florio and his staff of goons are more left wing than you are. The title is perfect.

This isn't about Florio. 
This isn't about me. 

This is about whether it's OK to lead people to believe there are two anthems being performed separately in week one - when in reality there is one anthem   -  and before that anthem there is a song paying tribute to the civil rights movement.

It’s not just PFT. 
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nf...368762002/

Whether you agree or not, the song is referred to as the Black National Anthem.

(07-06-2020, 08:00 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote:
(07-06-2020, 07:43 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Lift Every Voice and Sing is only known anecdotally (casually) as "the black national anthem." 

(love you too)

Misleading or not, my point is that is the exact title of article he linked.

(07-06-2020, 07:48 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:  
This isn't about Florio. 
This isn't about me. 

It’s not just PFT. 
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nf...368762002/

Whether you agree or not, the song is referred to as the Black National Anthem.

It is indeed casually referred to as the black national anthem. Not formally.  
Putting it in a headline suggests formality and those headlines are seeking to stir the pot. Not to objectively inform.

I think it's a misrepresentation to imply this song will serve as something akin to The Star Spangled Banner when there is no indication that is the intent.
  If that IS the case, then this progressively minded NFL fan thinks the league is really tone deaf on how to handle the current climate and it's a misstep. Too divisive. 

But there's no info to support it will even happen - much less any intent to provide a "separate anthem."

I've made my points. I'll step away from the thread and the title alterations. 
I trust the rest of the mod team to find a happy place with that title. 

Man, I wish we had some Jags news to talk about 
Tongue

NYC, when did you get elected to speak for African-Americans?
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato