Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Trump to cut funds to schools that don't reopen

(07-09-2020, 02:25 PM)Jagsfan4life9/28/82 Wrote:
(07-09-2020, 01:51 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: Should the President be the one controlling the decision to reopen?  Aren't the public schools run locally, by local school boards?  Why is Trump sticking the federal government's nose into what should be a local issue?  Aren't conservatives abandoning their principles here?

For the 1/100th time, Trump supporters and conservatives are two different groups. That much is painfully obvious by now. No actual real conservative would support big government Don.

1/100  
Laughing

Nice 

+ 1000/1

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(07-09-2020, 01:51 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: Should the President be the one controlling the decision to reopen?  Aren't the public schools run locally, by local school boards?  Why is Trump sticking the federal government's nose into what should be a local issue?  Aren't conservatives abandoning their principles here?

For the 1/100th time, Trump supporters and conservatives are two different groups. That much is painfully obvious by now. No actual real conservative would support big government Don.

I seem to remember you saying that I had TDS for making this same point sometime last year...
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(07-09-2020, 05:47 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(07-09-2020, 02:25 PM)Jagsfan4life9/28/82 Wrote: For the 1/100th time, Trump supporters and conservatives are two different groups. That much is painfully obvious by now. No actual real conservative would support big government Don.

I seem to remember you saying that I had TDS for making this same point sometime last year...

That absolutely was not me. I never have been, nor will I ever be a supporter of the gibbering, moronic, big-government sociopath that is Donald Trump.

(07-09-2020, 05:59 PM)Jagsfan4life9/28/82 Wrote:
(07-09-2020, 05:47 PM)mikesez Wrote: I seem to remember you saying that I had TDS for making this same point sometime last year...

That absolutely was not me. I never have been, nor will I ever be a supporter of the gibbering, moronic, big-government sociopath that is Donald Trump.

Wow, that's like looking a mirror for you then.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(07-09-2020, 06:02 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(07-09-2020, 05:59 PM)Jagsfan4life9/28/82 Wrote: That absolutely was not me. I never have been, nor will I ever be a supporter of the gibbering, moronic, big-government sociopath that is Donald Trump.

Wow, that's like looking a mirror for you then.

What's that, sport? Did you miss a word in that sentence? Trying to be as incoherent as the clown you worship?

(07-09-2020, 05:59 PM)Jagsfan4life9/28/82 Wrote:
(07-09-2020, 05:47 PM)mikesez Wrote: I seem to remember you saying that I had TDS for making this same point sometime last year...

Oh good.

(07-09-2020, 06:11 PM)Jagsfan4life9/28/82 Wrote:
(07-09-2020, 06:02 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Wow, that's like looking a mirror for you then.

What's that, sport? Did you miss a word in that sentence? Trying to be as incoherent as the clown you worship?

Bwaaaahahahahaha. Sorry, I'll try to dumb it down for you. You and Mikesez are the same personality, hence you talking to him is like you looking in a mirror and he is your reflection. Both of you are NeverTrumper stooges who are perfectly willing to surrender your so called conservatism to the left just so long as they take down #OrangeManBad while bleating about "muh principuls" to people who know you for the squishes you actually are.

I'll try to be a little clearer in the future in light of your cognitive challenges.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

The DOE provides a measure of funding to most if not all public schools. The president is proposing that we use that funding to leverage reluctant schools to open in the fall. This shouldn't even be a question. Schools are open all across Europe. Schools are open in Wuhan China. Children are at the absolute bottom of the risk profile for this pathogen, and because of the way that the virus interacts with their immune system, even if they are infected they don't generally pass the virus along to adults. The Science says that the risks associated with keeping the schools closed, both in terms of student performance, and negative externalities of isolation, greatly outweighs the risk of COVID 19.

All this concern over schools opening up is laughable. You do know that daycare centers are open and have been the entire time.

This entire [BLEEP] show quit being about a disease two minutes after it was discovered to be on our shores.
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

(This post was last modified: 07-09-2020, 09:13 PM by Jagsfan4life9/28/82.)

(07-09-2020, 08:23 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(07-09-2020, 06:11 PM)Jagsfan4life9/28/82 Wrote: What's that, sport? Did you miss a word in that sentence? Trying to be as incoherent as the clown you worship?

Bwaaaahahahahaha. Sorry, I'll try to dumb it down for you. You and Mikesez are the same personality, hence you talking to him is like you looking in a mirror and he is your reflection. Both of you are NeverTrumper stooges who are perfectly willing to surrender your so called conservatism to the left just so long as they take down #OrangeManBad while bleating about "muh principuls" to people who know you for the squishes you actually are.

I'll try to be a little clearer in the future in light of your cognitive challenges.

Oh, I see, insults when there's no argument. Typical of Trump Humpers. Look, your boy is a big government tyrant who claims absolute authority over states, which in my book makes him further left than most leftists. But do prattle on about about how I surrendered my conservatism to the left while you surrender your so-called conservatism for white nationalism. It’s ridiculously hilarious.

Edit to add, reading back through, I could see how my first response to you was insulting, but I really had no idea what the hell you were talking about. From the the posts of mikesez I have read, I'm not really like him all all. If a shared disdain for Trump equals a mirror's reflection to you, we'll okay then. It's not, though.

(07-09-2020, 08:56 PM)copycat Wrote: All this concern over schools opening up is laughable.  You do know that daycare centers are open and have been the entire time.  

This entire [BLEEP] show quit being about a disease two minutes after it was discovered to be on our shores.

Your first two sentences are spot on.
The only relevant difference between daycare workers and teachers is that teachers have been part of a powerful union that are always trying to boss politicians around.
I mean yes, teachers have more training, and they have a harder job because they have to educate the children while they corral them, but that's not the relevant difference here.
That said, your final sentence is wrong. The disease really is serious, really is creating multiple significant spikes in deaths, and sincere people with good intentions really are trying to keep the hospitals from getting overloaded. Unfortunately those people tend to be at CDC and DOH rather than the White House or the governor's mansion, but they are out there.

(07-09-2020, 09:12 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(07-09-2020, 08:56 PM)copycat Wrote: All this concern over schools opening up is laughable.  You do know that daycare centers are open and have been the entire time.  

The only relevant difference between daycare workers and teachers is that teachers have been part of a powerful union that are always trying to boss politicians around.
I mean yes, teachers have more training, and they have a harder job because they have to educate the children while they corral them, but that's not the relevant difference here.
That said, your final sentence is wrong. The disease really is serious, really is creating multiple significant spikes in deaths, and sincere people with good intentions really are trying to keep the hospitals from getting overloaded. Unfortunately those people tend to be at CDC and DOH rather than the White House or the governor's mansion, but they are out there.

Do you have children?

(07-09-2020, 09:31 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(07-09-2020, 09:12 PM)mikesez Wrote: Your first two sentences are spot on.

Do you have children?

Two of em. One in elementary and one in preschool

(07-09-2020, 09:12 PM)mikesez Wrote:

.26 mortality rate....

(07-09-2020, 09:44 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(07-09-2020, 09:31 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Do you have children?

Two of em. One in elementary and one in preschool

And you aren't ready to send them back to school next month?!?

(This post was last modified: 07-09-2020, 09:48 PM by mal234.)

(07-09-2020, 08:31 PM)jj82284 Wrote: The DOE provides a measure of funding to most if not all public schools.  The president is proposing that we use that funding to leverage reluctant schools to open in the fall.  This shouldn't even be a question.  Schools are open all across Europe.  Schools are open in Wuhan China.  Children are at the absolute bottom of the risk profile for this pathogen, and because of the way that the virus interacts with their immune system, even if they are infected they don't generally pass the virus along to adults.  The Science says that the risks associated with keeping the schools closed, both in terms of student performance, and negative externalities of isolation, greatly outweighs the risk of COVID 19.

I also saw that the American Academy of Pediatrics are recommending that children go back to school. They have said that the risks for kids getting infected and spreading this disease to others is lower than other groups, in addition to make some recommendations about how to deal with them attending school. (Including only being 3ft apart instead of 6ft which is recommended for most other groups). 

https://www.ktnv.com/news/coronavirus/am...-to-school

I also saw that Nashville has decided to do all virtual learning for the time being. A lot of people are understandably upset about that, and they are bringing up a lot of points on how that could hurt children. Including children who have single parents that work, both parents that work that don't really have much time to help them with their online learning. Parents who will need to find childcare, if the kids stay at home, children with special needs that benefit from being in school, poorer children who depend on school meals, kids in abusive home situations etc...

There really are a lot of negative things that can come from forcing kids to do all virtual learning. Some children could also end up being left behind academically with this type of learning. Some kids do learn better in the classrooms and I did see a chart somewhere that said that some kids (I think in Tennessee (maybe Nashville) were actually falling behind since they've started to do remote learning. It's a rough situation all the way around.

I believe that taking all things into consideration kids in general should be allowed to go back to school. Even if some guidelines need to be put in place. There are situations where a kid may need to stay at home, like maybe those that lives with a compromised parent/grandparents. (Any at risk faculty/school staff can have the option to stay at home.) But overall I think that most of kids would be okay and overall better off if they go back to school.

(This post was last modified: 07-09-2020, 10:28 PM by mikesez.)

(07-09-2020, 09:47 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(07-09-2020, 09:44 PM)mikesez Wrote: Two of em. One in elementary and one in preschool

And you aren't ready to send them back to school next month?!?

... I was agreeing with copycat that if the daycares never closed, the schools can be open.

You did read that, didn't you?

Crowded schools should try to have the kids outside as much as possible. Open the windows and distribute cold water multiple times a day. They should give every family a virtual learning option. But parents who work are counting on classrooms being open and nearly every kid prefers going back to the classroom

(07-09-2020, 10:23 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(07-09-2020, 09:47 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: And you aren't ready to send them back to school next month?!?

... I was agreeing with copycat that if the daycares never closed, the schools can be open.

Crowded schools should try to have the kids outside as much as possible. Open the windows and distribute cold water multiple times a day.  They should give every family a virtual learning option.  But parents who work are counting on classrooms being open and nearly every kid prefers going back to the classroom

Did you forget it is cruel and unusual punishment for kids to be in rooms without a/c? Are we going to open the windows and run the a/c in Florida?

The 1 good thing about the virtual options is it could lower the classroom sizes and give the poorer kids more access for 1 on 1 instruction. If parents that are able to work from home and still help the kid succeed, then do it if they choose. It will just remove the kids that have more support at home from the classroom and cut the class size down. Maybe it will help some kids out.

If schools aren't opened up, then you are setting up a generation of poorer kids for even more failure. The average kids will be at risk to move to the failure category because they won't be able to catch up. The advanced kids will probably still be successful, but they generally will be more willing to learn and have more supporting teachers and classes. This actually sets up an even wider economic gap that the leftist claim they are fighting and yet they are openly trying to make it happen.

(07-10-2020, 03:46 AM)p_rushing Wrote:
(07-09-2020, 10:23 PM)mikesez Wrote: ... I was agreeing with copycat that if the daycares never closed, the schools can be open.

Crowded schools should try to have the kids outside as much as possible. Open the windows and distribute cold water multiple times a day.  They should give every family a virtual learning option.  But parents who work are counting on classrooms being open and nearly every kid prefers going back to the classroom

Did you forget it is cruel and unusual punishment for kids to be in rooms without a/c? Are we going to open the windows and run the a/c in Florida?

The 1 good thing about the virtual options is it could lower the classroom sizes and give the poorer kids more access for 1 on 1 instruction. If parents that are able to work from home and still help the kid succeed, then do it if they choose. It will just remove the kids that have more support at home from the classroom and cut the class size down. Maybe it will help some kids out.

If schools aren't opened up, then you are setting up a generation of poorer kids for even more failure. The average kids will be at risk to move to the failure category because they won't be able to catch up. The advanced kids will probably still be successful, but they generally will be more willing to learn and have more supporting teachers and classes. This actually sets up an even wider economic gap that the leftist claim they are fighting and yet they are openly trying to make it happen.

I am not yet 40, and I went to a high school in Jacksonville where not every classroom had AC. We got through it.

(This post was last modified: 07-10-2020, 07:44 AM by The Real Marty.)

That might be why some conservatives are going for Biden to get rid of Trumpism and restore the Republican Party as the conservative alternative.  I'd sure like to have a true conservative alternative.