Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
What would be perfect for this team

(This post was last modified: 07-10-2020, 06:07 AM by The Real Marty.)

It seems like, with all our new players, unusually high number of draftees, and having a new offensive coordinator, plus all the chaos and uncertainty around how we can even play games in this pandemic, a shortened season would be would be an ideal scenario for the Jaguars in particular.  

Something like an 8 game season would allow evaluation of all the new players, and thorough implementation of the new offensive system.   Fewer games would also mean fewer injuries.  8 games would probably be enough to see if Minshew is going to be the guy going forward. 

And then, before the rookies hit the rookie wall, end the season, have an offseason and another draft, and we're good to go.  We'd be that much closer to ultimate playoff contention without having to grind through 16 games.

If this were a normal season, with 4 preseason games and 16 regular season games, I would foresee the last half of the season being useless.  We would probably fall out of contention by midseason anyway, and then all we'd be talking about is the draft.  Because right now, I think we're a year away from contending.  Another offseason and another draft is what we need.  The quicker we get there the better.   But we do need some regular season games to evaluate what we have and implement the new system.  That's why I think a half season would be perfect.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I think a normal 16 game season but a shortened training camp would be ideal. The Jags on both sides of the ball have been criticized heavily for being overly simple or "vanilla" on both sides of the ball. The less time opposing teams have to install their offense, the more effective we'll be as a limited period won't change the handful of plays we run, and it will limit our opponents arsenal of things to use against us.

I don't wish this on anyone, but if key players on division rivals were forced to quarantine for 2 weeks and miss critical games while the Jags roster stays corona free, it could swing the outcome of a few games just enough to push us into the playoff picture. And once you get into the playoffs, it's anybody's game to get hot and make a run! And those games would be valuable experience for Minshew and a Jags roster that's the youngest (or 2nd youngest at the very least) in the nfl.
Championship Formula:

1) Draft Trevor Lawrence!
2) Play good physical Defense! 
3) Keep 91% of the roster healthy!
4) ???
5) Blank #2
6) CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

(07-10-2020, 07:02 PM)Firesky Wrote: I think a normal 16 game season but a shortened training camp would be ideal. The Jags on both sides of the ball have been criticized heavily for being overly simple or "vanilla" on both sides of the ball. The less time opposing teams have to install their offense, the more effective we'll be as a limited period won't change the handful of plays we run, and it will limit our opponents arsenal of things to use against us.

I don't wish this on anyone, but if key players on division rivals were forced to quarantine for 2 weeks and miss critical games while the Jags roster stays corona free, it could swing the outcome of a few games just enough to push us into the playoff picture. And once you get into the playoffs, it's anybody's game to get hot and make a run! And those games would be valuable experience for Minshew and a Jags roster that's the youngest (or 2nd youngest at the very least) in the nfl.

Less training camp time actually hurts us more because of A) new offense and B) really young team

I’ve been saying for two months we should actually tank. This season DOESNT matter. If there even is one. No fans , lack of preparation from teams, people have other things to worry about, NFL being ill prepared even though it had months to prepare. 

This season will forever have an asterisk on it. 

Just evaluate. Prepare for September 2021

(07-10-2020, 09:28 PM)MojoKing Wrote: I’ve been saying for two months we should actually tank. This season DOESNT matter. If there even is one. No fans , lack of preparation from teams, people have other things to worry about, NFL being ill prepared even though it had months to prepare. 

We don't need to tank to suck. And the coaches and players aren't taking part in this to tank (if the season even happens)

(07-10-2020, 10:33 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(07-10-2020, 09:28 PM)MojoKing Wrote: I’ve been saying for two months we should actually tank. This season DOESNT matter. If there even is one. No fans , lack of preparation from teams, people have other things to worry about, NFL being ill prepared even though it had months to prepare. 

We don't need to tank to suck. And the coaches and players aren't taking part in this to tank (if the season even happens)

You're absolutely right.  Tanking on purpose is not even remotely possible.  But since we are going to suck this season, I think a shortened season would be ideal for us.  It would give us enough time to install the new offense, evaluate all the young players and get them up to speed, and then we would avoid the usual late season injuries that come in meaningless games.  No preseason followed by 8 games would be perfect for us.  Because what this team needs most is just to get to 2021 asap.

"Because of the unprecedented circumstances both our franchise and community have experienced over the past year we are most pleased with the progress of the Jacksonville Jaguars. We know that many fans are dissatisfied with the team's zero and eight record in the 2020-2021 season, as am I personally, but when we consider the more distressing outcomes we could've experienced including pestilence, war, and famine, I believe that we showed remarkable resilience in the face of the first horseman of the apocalypse.

As a result of our strong leadership both on the sideline and in the front office the Jacksonville Jaguars suffered only one death and twenty six positive tests related to Covid-19. I, along with our worker's comp insurance company MagMutual, am truly amazed that the unfortunate bungie line incident that caused Jaxson DeVille to plummet some 485 feet to the ground at midfield on October 18th was not in fact caused by faulty equipment, but by the sudden onset of Covid-19 in spite of the custom face covering we provided that accounted for the presence of Jackson's whiskers. In spite of this tragic loss, and having to at one time start twenty two street free agents on the same day, our team and city demonstrated the insurmountable spirit for which we here in South Georgia and North Florida are known. As a result I am pleased to announce today that we have extended the contracts for Head Coach Doug Marrone and General Manager David Caldwell through the 2028 seasons. I know all of you* will celebrate with me on Kismet next February 29th as we ring in the start of a very promising 2021 NFL season (*limited to the 1st five Platinum Corporate Sponsor CEOs).

As always I am exceedingly grateful to the people of Northeast Florida for the wonderful tax incentives and willingness to give me their hard earned money in exchange for the privilege of watching the Steve Lombardi of the NFL try their best to lose with class and dignity.

Sincerest regards,

Shad Khan"
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(07-11-2020, 08:21 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(07-10-2020, 10:33 PM)JackCity Wrote: We don't need to tank to suck. And the coaches and players aren't taking part in this to tank (if the season even happens)

You're absolutely right.  Tanking on purpose is not even remotely possible. 

It's definitely possible with a front office and coaching staff that has job security. It's not possible with our situation.

(This post was last modified: 07-12-2020, 12:30 PM by HURRICANE!!!.)

An 8 game season also cuts payroll costs to 50% as well so that would save Shad since he's not getting revenues from fans in Jax or London

(07-11-2020, 08:21 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(07-10-2020, 10:33 PM)JackCity Wrote: We don't need to tank to suck. And the coaches and players aren't taking part in this to tank (if the season even happens)

You're absolutely right.  Tanking on purpose is not even remotely possible.  

Tanking starts with offseason moves so I would have to say tanking is very well in process. i think we all know coaches and players strive to win each game but I'm talking about front offices moves (player departures) that illustrate this season is not about winning.

We are the youngest and lowest payroll team and we have 4 QBs, with our highest paid QB  being a 7-year veteran making $1.2 million per year.  Let that one sink in for a second.  In this multi-billion dollar industry, our 2020 active roster is #32 while Indy is #1 ($50 million difference) and our average age is 24.78 whereas Indy's is 25.36.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/

(07-12-2020, 12:14 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: An 8 game season also cuts payroll costs to 50% as well so that would save Shad since he's not getting revenues from fans in Jax or London

(07-11-2020, 08:21 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: You're absolutely right.  Tanking on purpose is not even remotely possible.  

Tanking starts with offseason moves so I would have to say tanking is very well in process. i think we all know coaches and players strive to win each game but I'm talking about front offices moves (player departures) that illustrate this season is not about winning.

We are the youngest and lowest payroll team and we have 4 QBs, with our highest paid QB  being a 7-year veteran making $1.2 million per year.  Let that one sink in for a second.  In this multi-billion dollar industry, our 2020 active roster is #32 while Indy is #1 ($50 million difference) and our average age is 24.78 whereas Indy's is 25.36.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/

Maybe you and I mean different things by "tanking."  How do you define tanking?

(07-10-2020, 08:19 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(07-10-2020, 07:02 PM)Firesky Wrote: I think a normal 16 game season but a shortened training camp would be ideal. The Jags on both sides of the ball have been criticized heavily for being overly simple or "vanilla" on both sides of the ball. The less time opposing teams have to install their offense, the more effective we'll be as a limited period won't change the handful of plays we run, and it will limit our opponents arsenal of things to use against us.

Less training camp time actually hurts us more because of A) new offense and B) really young team

I don't think the youth of the team will be a problem; I think having them be younger may mean they're healthier without the same time in TC to get your body ready for more veteran teams. Yyea the new offense not being able to be installed isn't ideal. But tbh regardless of coordinator we've kinda ran the same kind of plays based on personnel regardless the last few seasons whether it was: Fisch, Hackett, Olson, Flip etc. I think having to "oversimplify" an offense favors us since we're a team that's built to just line up and play rather than pencil whip with X's and O's. Time will tell of course.
Championship Formula:

1) Draft Trevor Lawrence!
2) Play good physical Defense! 
3) Keep 91% of the roster healthy!
4) ???
5) Blank #2
6) CHAMPIONSHIP!!!