Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
What if football is cancelled?

What is every ones thoughts on if the season was to be cancelled? How would the league handle the draft situation? I'm not sure exactly how college is dealing with this, but a cancelled season for them is probably going to give kids another year of eligibility, but I'm sure there's some kids that want to go pro right away. How would those kids be handled if both leagues were to cancel? Base it off last years draft? Do some kind of waiver list? What if we did start a season and only played like 4 games and they cancelled the rest, then what? 

With the concern growing of the possibility we may not have a season, I'm just curious of what every one things would be a good "option" for how to handle it.
In Dougie I Trust!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Personally speaking, I think the NFL season has to be conducted in some manner in order to establish a draft order for next year. Otherwise, I have no idea how they would numerically list the draft order --- There is no way Cinci should get back to back 1st picks just for sucking in 2019.

Yes, college kids would have another year of eligibility if the season were cancelled -- obviously, some could opt for the draft as it is based on being 3 years removed from high school or something like that so the off year counts in that manner.

The best part of the season being cancelled would be having the players face the reality of no being paid prior to the upcoming collective bargaining negotiations for the new NFL long term contract. Imagine them going 2 years without being paid and us fans realizing we don't want to pay $100 to go to games anymore. I'd love to see drastic changes the lower salaries -- the people have the power. If the demand dies, so do the salaries.

(07-10-2020, 10:13 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Personally speaking, I think the NFL season has to be conducted in some manner in order to establish a draft order for next year.  Otherwise, I have no idea how they would numerically list the draft order --- There is no way Cinci should get back to back 1st picks just for sucking in 2019.

Yes, college kids would have another year of eligibility if the season were cancelled -- obviously, some could opt for the draft as it is based  on being 3 years removed from high school or something like that so the off year counts in that manner.

The best part of the season being cancelled would be having the players face the reality of no being paid prior to the upcoming collective bargaining negotiations for the new NFL long term contract.  Imagine them going 2 years without being paid and us fans realizing we don't want to pay $100 to go to games anymore.  I'd love to see drastic changes the lower salaries -- the people have the power.  If the demand dies, so do the salaries.

The NFL would possibly do something to the what the NHL did for their draft in 2005. The season was not played so they invented a lottery based off previous seasons to determine lottery order.

Teams were weighted based on playoff appearances in the last three completed seasons and first overall picks in the last four drafts. Three lottery balls each were assigned to teams which had not qualified for any of those playoffs and received no first overall picks in that period. Teams which had one playoff appearance or first overall pick in those years were given two lottery balls. All other teams received one lottery ball.

If the NFL did something similar the Jags would get two lottery balls since we made the playoffs in 17.

The way I see it, no vaccine, no contact sports.

(07-10-2020, 10:59 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: The way I see it, no vaccine, no contact sports.
If a vaccine will be required to attend, I've been to my last game.
[Image: Jason-The-Good-Place-Jaguars.png?w=472]

(07-10-2020, 11:47 AM)Hard_Eight Wrote:
(07-10-2020, 10:59 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: The way I see it, no vaccine, no contact sports.
If a vaccine will be required to attend, I've been to my last game.

You don't do vaccines?

(07-10-2020, 12:13 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(07-10-2020, 11:47 AM)Hard_Eight Wrote: If a vaccine will be required to attend, I've been to my last game.

You don't do vaccines?

Statistically speaking about half the US population doesn't do flu vaccines, so a Covid vaccine can assume similar rates.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(07-10-2020, 12:21 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(07-10-2020, 12:13 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: You don't do vaccines?

Statistically speaking about half the US population doesn't do flu vaccines, so a Covid vaccine can assume similar rates.

I'm one of them, but when the Covid vaccine comes out, I'll cough on everyone in line to get mine.

(07-10-2020, 12:13 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(07-10-2020, 11:47 AM)Hard_Eight Wrote: If a vaccine will be required to attend, I've been to my last game.

You don't do vaccines?

Depends on the vaccine, imo. Never had a flu shot in my life. Gotten the flu like twice ever.
Had to have certain vaccines to progress through public school system, as have my children, like MMR and Hep. 
Newer vaccines like the chicken pox vax I wouldn't have my kids get. 
A Covid-19 vaccine (that would be the first ever created for any coronavirus) that is rushed out in less than a year or so, I won't be taking for sure.

My general premise behind being cautious about vaccines is more why put something in your body you don't have to including thimerosal, aluminum, antibiotics, egg proteins, formaldehyde, MSG, polysorbate 80, and a few other things that make the science of vaccines possible.

But to each their own I say... it's your body, put in it what you want.
And if a vaccine will put an end to this nonsense and bring back football,  I'm all for a bunch of people taking it.

(07-10-2020, 12:39 PM)Kane Wrote:
(07-10-2020, 12:13 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: You don't do vaccines?

Depends on the vaccine, imo. Never had a flu shot in my life. Gotten the flu like twice ever.
Had to have certain vaccines to progress through public school system, as have my children, like MMR and Hep. 
Newer vaccines like the chicken pox vax I wouldn't have my kids get. 
A Covid-19 vaccine (that would be the first ever created for any coronavirus) that is rushed out in less than a year or so, I won't be taking for sure.

My general premise behind being cautious about vaccines is more why put something in your body you don't have to including thimerosal, aluminum, antibiotics, egg proteins, formaldehyde, MSG, polysorbate 80, and a few other things that make the science of vaccines possible.

But to each their own I say... it's your body, put in it what you want.
And if a vaccine will put an end to this nonsense and bring back football,  I'm all for a bunch of people taking it.

The actual benefits of vaccines far, far outweigh the perceived drawbacks. I only don't do flu vaccines because it seems senseless to vaccinate against last year's strain of a virus that mutates annually.

If the season is canceled, take the past five seasons, and set the darft order based on those combined records. free agency likely delays for a year, so you might see some extra trades of disgruntled players who are ready to move on.

I don't see any of the darft-eligible college players playing in spring, if they delay further, and instead combine and pro days are going to be the marquee events.

(This post was last modified: 07-10-2020, 03:22 PM by HURRICANE!!!.)

(07-10-2020, 10:39 AM)HolsterHusto Wrote:
(07-10-2020, 10:13 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Personally speaking, I think the NFL season has to be conducted in some manner in order to establish a draft order for next year.  Otherwise, I have no idea how they would numerically list the draft order --- There is no way Cinci should get back to back 1st picks just for sucking in 2019.

Yes, college kids would have another year of eligibility if the season were cancelled -- obviously, some could opt for the draft as it is based  on being 3 years removed from high school or something like that so the off year counts in that manner.

The best part of the season being cancelled would be having the players face the reality of no being paid prior to the upcoming collective bargaining negotiations for the new NFL long term contract.  Imagine them going 2 years without being paid and us fans realizing we don't want to pay $100 to go to games anymore.  I'd love to see drastic changes the lower salaries -- the people have the power.  If the demand dies, so do the salaries.

The NFL would possibly do something to the what the NHL did for their draft in 2005. The season was not played so they invented a lottery based off previous seasons to determine lottery order.

Teams were weighted based on playoff appearances in the last three completed seasons and first overall picks in the last four drafts. Three lottery balls each were assigned to teams which had not qualified for any of those playoffs and received no first overall picks in that period. Teams which had one playoff appearance or first overall pick in those years were given two lottery balls. All other teams received one lottery ball.

If the NFL did something similar the Jags would get two lottery balls since we made the playoffs in 17.

That would suck for us, considering we are the odds on favorite to get the #1 pick next season.

Our Oline has been socual distancing for years so that shouldnt be a problem  Big Grin

But i have no idea what is going to happen with the season. Getting teams into training camps seems the first move needed.

(07-10-2020, 01:12 PM)Mikey Wrote: If the season is canceled, take the past five seasons, and set the darft order based on those combined records. free agency likely delays for a year, so you might see some extra trades of disgruntled players who are ready to move on.

I don't see any of the darft-eligible college players playing in spring, if they delay further, and instead combine and pro days are going to be the marquee events.

I have heard the average of the last 5 seasons record too. Hopefully that is how they would do it.

There is going to be a season. Many players may opt out, but we will see games played. Probably they will require some type Of athletic face masks and COVID testing before each game. Time will tell who is right. I think the money involved is too much to not play. If stars who are loaded don’t want to play, then let them sit out the year so other willing players get a chance. I also think there is a chance that the season start is delayed.

(07-10-2020, 01:12 PM)Mikey Wrote: If the season is canceled, take the past five seasons, and set the darft order based on those combined records. free agency likely delays for a year, so you might see some extra trades of disgruntled players who are ready to move on.

This is a fantastic and fair idea. Take the average of the last 5 years and get your draft order like that.

It's going to be 12 games and October start. Still a ton of things need to go right for even that to happen

(07-11-2020, 03:55 AM)JackCity Wrote: It's going to be 12 games and October start. Still a ton of things need to go right for even that to happen

This has been my best guess since May ^ and I think it's possible if we don't see too many infections when "camp" begins in some form.

at least we will still have Madden football when the season is canceled.

snowwolf titans owner in madden.

note titans owner means im undeafted againest them. 

(07-10-2020, 03:21 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(07-10-2020, 10:39 AM)HolsterHusto Wrote: The NFL would possibly do something to the what the NHL did for their draft in 2005. The season was not played so they invented a lottery based off previous seasons to determine lottery order.

That would suck for us, considering we are the odds on favorite to get the #1 pick next season.

Off subject, but I don’t know if I trust the lower case version of you ? something is suspicious.