Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Redskins to change name

(08-06-2020, 09:26 AM)Kane Wrote:
(08-05-2020, 09:37 AM)NCJag Wrote: DC could be on to something. Change EVERY team name to the CITY Football team...as to not offend anyone. But then that might offend people who never could make it onto a team...??‍♂️

I actually thought about this very thing becoming a thing in the not too distant future. In Ozone I believe someone posed the question, "What happens when someone is offended by the names of the Raiders or Vikings or the Browns" (obviously this person was either being silly or didn't know the Browns were named for Paul Brown).
But it stands to reason actually... if cancel culture and this weird turn that America has taken in being offended by everything and anything (or not actually being offended but wanting to control thought and speech a la 1984) who is to say that these team names won't be offensive one day? What if PETA comes for our Jaguars? Or a certain section of America hates Patriots (I mean we all hate the team, but the name).

I would not be surprised if in 15-20 years the NFL is represented by Washington Football Team. Jacksonville Football Team. Los Angeles Football Team A and Football Team B.

Of course I imagine I will have stopped watching by then. Football in 20 years will most likely no longer look or feel like the football I grew up watching or even the product we see today.

This reminds me of my days in the Navy on shore duty when we were allowed to start work later in the morning after Super Bowl Sunday. It was an unofficial tradition. The whiners started complaining that if they weren't football fans, why shouldn't they be allowed to come to work late after the world chess matches, or something. Guess what happened? We were all back to work bright and early Monday morning. Some folks can't help but to [BLEEP] and moan to spite themselves and everyone else.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(08-06-2020, 09:50 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(08-06-2020, 09:26 AM)Kane Wrote: I actually thought about this very thing becoming a thing in the not too distant future. In Ozone I believe someone posed the question, "What happens when someone is offended by the names of the Raiders or Vikings or the Browns" (obviously this person was either being silly or didn't know the Browns were named for Paul Brown).
But it stands to reason actually... if cancel culture and this weird turn that America has taken in being offended by everything and anything (or not actually being offended but wanting to control thought and speech a la 1984) who is to say that these team names won't be offensive one day? What if PETA comes for our Jaguars? Or a certain section of America hates Patriots (I mean we all hate the team, but the name).

I would not be surprised if in 15-20 years the NFL is represented by Washington Football Team. Jacksonville Football Team. Los Angeles Football Team A and Football Team B.

Of course I imagine I will have stopped watching by then. Football in 20 years will most likely no longer look or feel like the football I grew up watching or even the product we see today.

This reminds me of my days in the Navy on shore duty when we were allowed to start work later in the morning after Super Bowl Sunday. It was an unofficial tradition. The whiners started complaining that if they weren't football fans, why shouldn't they be allowed to come to work late after the world chess matches, or something. Guess what happened? We were all back to work bright and early Monday morning. Some folks can't help but to [BLEEP] and moan to spite themselves and everyone else.

True, but how do they all keep ending up here?
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(08-07-2020, 08:11 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(08-06-2020, 09:50 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: This reminds me of my days in the Navy on shore duty when we were allowed to start work later in the morning after Super Bowl Sunday. It was an unofficial tradition. The whiners started complaining that if they weren't football fans, why shouldn't they be allowed to come to work late after the world chess matches, or something. Guess what happened? We were all back to work bright and early Monday morning. Some folks can't help but to [BLEEP] and moan to spite themselves and everyone else.

True, but how do they all keep ending up here?

Laughing

The few ruin everything for the many.

Tale as old as time.