Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
DHS patrolling Portland in unmarked vans

(07-18-2020, 11:28 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(07-18-2020, 11:22 AM)mikesez Wrote: They shouldn't be going around out of uniform.
They shouldn't be going around in unmarked cars.
They shouldn't be going more than a block away from the building that they're supposed to be protecting. In fact, if they were really just protecting a building, where is the barricade? Manned barricades protect buildings, not roving bands of out-of-uniform soldiers. 
All of this looks a little too much like Germany in 1932...
They should be regularly explaining to the public what they are doing, who they are detaining, and why.

protecting a federal courthouse is a laudable goal, but it has nothing to do with individual rights.

So you say. I say restoring order to a lawless city has everything to do with individual rights.

You're more than willing to believe what the government and your chosen "truthful" media is telling you as long as it dovetails with your beliefs, and the current POTUS isn't...how did you describe Obama...oh yeah, condescending.
If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(07-18-2020, 01:45 PM)rollerjag Wrote:
(07-18-2020, 11:28 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: So you say. I say restoring order to a lawless city has everything to do with individual rights.

You're more than willing to believe what the government and your chosen "truthful" media is telling you as long as it dovetails with your beliefs, and the current POTUS isn't...how did you describe Obama...oh yeah, condescending.

The media I chose to believe was the BBC, so...yeah.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 07-18-2020, 05:07 PM by The Real Marty.)

(07-18-2020, 11:53 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: Has there been any real proof that people are being arrested, or are they still going on the image-less video and the word of the protester?

I've seen videos of it.  There's no longer any doubt that it has been happening.

(07-18-2020, 11:21 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(07-18-2020, 08:15 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: So you're okay with the federal government taking over local law enforcement and kidnapping people off the streets without a warrant or a charge.  Got it.  

Do you believe in following the Constitution?  Or would you just throw that out?  

The Constitution gives the federal government limited powers.  The 10th Amendment says that all powers not specifically granted to the federal government are reserved to the states.  Nothing in the Constitution gives the federal government law enforcement authority over ordinary crimes.  So the federal government "stepping in," as you put it, is unconstitutional.  Not to mention kidnapping people and holding them without a warrant or a charge, which is also obviously unconstitutional.  

Keep in mind, this is not the federal government "assisting" the local government.  The local government has asked (demanded, actually) that the federal government immediately cease doing this sort of stuff.  

I thought you said you are voting for the Libertarian candidate for President.  This is the opposite of libertarianism.

Local governments have demanded such of the feds in the past when the locals were refusing to protect the civil rights of their citizens. It's taken the FBI, the National Guard, and other federal agencies to end those behaviors and this in no different. The spirit of Libertarianism is the protection of individual rights, including the protection of those rights from the Mob and from colluding local officials.

I have already explained to you, it is unconstitutional for the federal government to take over local law enforcement.  

Plus, in this case, the local government and local law enforcement have asked the federal government to stay out of it.  

The Constitution is quite clear on this.

(This post was last modified: 07-18-2020, 07:21 PM by Sammy.)

(07-18-2020, 04:51 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(07-18-2020, 11:53 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: Has there been any real proof that people are being arrested, or are they still going on the image-less video and the word of the protester?

I've seen videos of it.  There's no longer any doubt that it has been happening.

LOL ... I seen Star Wars, so the Darth is real.

(07-18-2020, 07:21 PM)Sammy Wrote:
(07-18-2020, 04:51 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: I've seen videos of it.  There's no longer any doubt that it has been happening.

LOL ... I seen Star Wars, so the Darth is real.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUjiQj18HRo

Go to minute 5:00, footage taken from a civilian. 

I know MSNBC is pinko conspiracy tree hugging dems, but the footage isn't from msnbc and its been reported on all the media outlets. 

What is wrong with you people? This is unconstitutional and unbecoming of American democracy. Our country is becoming a autocracy (wannabe dictatorship) before our eyes, and loyal republicans stand by. Unbelievable, you guys are simply un-American

(07-18-2020, 05:53 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Ironic that all these lovers of Liberty and Freedom and The Constitution support a president who has deployed agents to a city to drive around like the Gestapo or the KGB in unmarked vans and kidnap people off the street with no warrant or charge.  

If Obama had done such a thing the reaction would have been explosive.   But since their man Trump did this... nothing.  Silence.

All you Constitutionalists, lovers of Liberty and Freedom, this is who Trump is.  If he could arrest all his opponents, he would do it.

It is my opinion that you 100% incorrect.  Had this kind of lawlessness occurred during the Obama administration I am convinced conservatives would have backed this type of action.  You cannot have anarchy in the streets and have society survive.  

As for your last line, Barry was worse.  In fact he weaponized parts of the federal government to specifically go after his opposition.  You know that but conveniently forget that.
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

(07-18-2020, 07:29 PM)MojoKing Wrote:
(07-18-2020, 07:21 PM)Sammy Wrote: LOL ... I seen Star Wars, so the Darth is real.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUjiQj18HRo

I know MSNBC is pinko conspiracy tree hugging dems, but the footage isn't from msnbc and its been reported on all the media outlets. 

What is wrong with you people? This is unconstitutional and unbecoming of American democracy. Our country is becoming a autocracy (wannabe dictatorship) before our eyes, and loyal republicans stand by. Unbelievable, you guys are simply un-American

No way that could be staged. Actually, as easily as the detention went ... It looks REALLY staged. Who would detain a protester that is that willing to give up? You have to have better proof than that.

(07-18-2020, 08:29 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(07-18-2020, 08:17 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: 50 straight days of riots and anarchy here Marty. 50!

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/17/opini...gents.html

"Portland has loomed large for a while at places like Fox News as a hotbed of radical leftist activism, though I guess we’ve earned that now over the last few weeks. One of the things I think people get wrong about this place, though, is that they see the protests and the right-wing coverage and the city is depicted as convulsed and collapsing. It’s just not true. You go three blocks from the center of downtown and life goes on as normal. Where I live, you could go every day and see no real signs of the protests."

But what about those residents inside that 3 block area?  Do they count?  I get your point about overstepped boundaries but if the city cop turns a blind eye to crime and people are getting hurt should the county sheriff intervene or also ignore the crime?

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

(07-18-2020, 07:49 PM)copycat Wrote:
(07-18-2020, 08:29 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/17/opini...gents.html

"Portland has loomed large for a while at places like Fox News as a hotbed of radical leftist activism, though I guess we’ve earned that now over the last few weeks. One of the things I think people get wrong about this place, though, is that they see the protests and the right-wing coverage and the city is depicted as convulsed and collapsing. It’s just not true. You go three blocks from the center of downtown and life goes on as normal. Where I live, you could go every day and see no real signs of the protests."

But what about those residents inside that 3 block area?  Do they count?  I get your point about overstepped boundaries but if the city cop turns a blind eye to crime and people are getting hurt should the county sheriff intervene or also ignore the crime?

Protecting residents is not the federal government's job.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(07-18-2020, 07:55 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(07-18-2020, 07:49 PM)copycat Wrote: But what about those residents inside that 3 block area?  Do they count?  I get your point about overstepped boundaries but if the city cop turns a blind eye to crime and people are getting hurt should the county sheriff intervene or also ignore the crime?

Protecting residents is not the federal government's job.

So screw them for being unfortunate enough to live in an area where the people that are supposed to protect you fail to do so?  Would you walk by a little old lady getting slapped around by a skinhead stealing her purse?  After all it is not your job to intervene.

(This post was last modified: 07-18-2020, 08:27 PM by Cleatwood.)

(07-18-2020, 07:37 PM)Sammy Wrote:
(07-18-2020, 07:29 PM)MojoKing Wrote: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUjiQj18HRo

No way that could be staged. Actually, as easily as the detention went ... It looks REALLY staged. Who would detain a protester that is that willing to give up? You have to have better proof than that.
Right?! Like....what kinda cop would kill a man who’s already handcuffed and laying on the ground? Totally staged.

https://twitter.com/ReallyAmerican1/stat...4889283591

(07-18-2020, 08:26 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(07-18-2020, 07:37 PM)Sammy Wrote: No way that could be staged. Actually, as easily as the detention went ... It looks REALLY staged. Who would detain a protester that is that willing to give up? You have to have better proof than that.
Right?! Like....what kinda cop would kill a man who’s already handcuffed and laying on the ground? Totally staged.

What a goofball if you don't recognize the difference. Then again, you don't.

(This post was last modified: 07-18-2020, 09:05 PM by homebiscuit.)

“Use your words!”

Context helps. What led these LEOs (federal??) to apprehend Mr. Protester?

It's definitely happening. From what I understand, they are taking the subject to a nearby facility, reading them their Miranda rights, inspecting them for weapons or threatening items, then detaining them or letting them go. Get back to me when we start violating their due process. That's probably where I'd draw the line. We are talking about rioters here. People destroying property and wanting to see the destruction of the US. These people themselves are borderline treasonous. Oh, and for the record, if the situation were the exact same, I would totally support Obama on this.

(07-18-2020, 08:06 PM)copycat Wrote:
(07-18-2020, 07:55 PM)mikesez Wrote: Protecting residents is not the federal government's job.

So screw them for being unfortunate enough to live in an area where the people that are supposed to protect you fail to do so?  Would you walk by a little old lady getting slapped around by a skinhead stealing her purse?  After all it is not your job to intervene.

Well that's a little different.
were there any little old ladies getting slapped around?
Let's be realistic, there were not.
There may have been some violations of local littering, loitering, disorderly conduct... but if you're a federal agent and you see that, you either (a) do nothing or (b) call the local police.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

"Ooooooh and the land of the freeeeeeeeeeeee"

Federal agents have the authority to investigate violations of federal crimes. If sufficient probable cause, or reasonable suspicion, exist then federal agents / officers have the legal authority to arrest and detain the suspect just as local law enforcement does. With the number of events surrounding government buildings, it wouldn’t surprise me if they’re investigating those incidents.

Just because we don’t know why they’re being arrested, it doesn’t mean they don’t have the authority.

(This post was last modified: 07-19-2020, 05:13 AM by The Real Marty.)

(07-18-2020, 07:37 PM)Sammy Wrote:
(07-18-2020, 07:29 PM)MojoKing Wrote: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUjiQj18HRo

No one is denying that this is happening.  Even the head of the DHS, the ones who are doing it, is saying this is happening.  So I really don't understand why you would be skeptical, Sammy.  The head of DHS says he intends to do it all over the country.  

And for all of you who think this is all just fine because "law and order blah blah blah..." think of the consequences when the federal government can decide it doesn't like the way states are enforcing the law, so they send in federal agents to enforce local laws.  That is a complete loss of state sovereignty.   The Constitution of the United States says that the states, and not the federal government, have the only power to enforce local laws.  So the President cannot just go out and round up protesters.  He does not have that power under the Constitution.   

It's entirely possible that we are going to have a situation where the local police witness federal agents kidnapping someone and decide to arrest those federal agents.  That will be interesting.

(07-19-2020, 12:04 AM)JackCity Wrote: "Ooooooh and the land of the freeeeeeeeeeeee"

It's cute how you don't know the words. Not that we expect you to, but good comedy requires you to get the delivery right.

(07-19-2020, 12:41 AM)JagNGeorgia Wrote: Federal agents have the authority to investigate violations of federal crimes. If sufficient probable cause, or reasonable suspicion, exist then federal agents / officers have the legal authority to arrest and detain the suspect just as local law enforcement does. With the number of events surrounding government buildings, it wouldn’t surprise me if they’re investigating those incidents.

Just because we don’t know why they’re being arrested, it doesn’t mean they don’t have the authority.

Marty already told you that it's unConstitutional. Stop with your alternative facts.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato