Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
IQ Thread

(08-02-2020, 06:35 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: Wow so many geniuses right here on Duvalpride.com.

Hahaha isn't it amazing?   Smile

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(08-02-2020, 08:16 PM)copycat Wrote:
(08-02-2020, 06:52 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: So the context is all about what you don't know. When I ask how many people are smarter than you, I am not asking who has learned something different than you. Imagine you're in a room with 100 people and you're all given a series of questions and no one there has an advantage of pre-existing knowledge with which to answer the question. There are materials there that will help  you learn some information that is repeatable, some information needs to be applied, and there will be some deductions that need to be made. If you're being honest with yourself, out of a room of 100 people, how many there do you think would be smarter than you? 1? 5? 10? 

Of course your last point is true. I have often said that intelligence alone is not worth anything. To that end, I definitely don't tout myself as any kind of example. My wife does far greater good than I have at this point in our lives, so I don't think IQ has any stand-alone merit. Often when discussing this, people tend to mistake crystallized intelligence for fluid intelligence. IQ is an attempt to predict the former, not the later. 

Some people subscribe to the idea that IQ measures a general intelligence, also known as the G factor. People who believe that think that people with a high G factor are good at learning anything they want. Others subscribe to a multiple intelligences theory. In this theory, they think there are multiple different areas of intelligence such as linguistic or musical ability. I am not as big a fan of multiple intelligences, because it seems to be trying to build it's theory around an idea, not data.

I completely understand your point, I just don’t care.  Watching people whip out their IQ’s like teenage boys comparing the size of their pickles is amusing to me.  Me trying to understand philosophy would be hilarious.  On the other hand if an IMP is dropped in the morning I’d be a legend by night fall. IQ, knowledge, intelligence, common sense, adaptability, flexibility and probably 10 other traits I have missed are all interchangeable depending on the situation.  

So to answer the question, I can’t answer the question until I know who the other 99 are.  Me walking into a Mensa convention probably 100 out 100.  We walking into an AOC rally, 1 out of 100.

What's a an IMP? See, I'm already behind. I ate the crayons given to me for my IQ test.

I am not sure anyone is whipping out their IQ outside of the post that got this all started. I'm just sharing what I know about the subject, since I used to teach about it and have researched it extensively. I have stated multiple times that IQ by itself is not an indicator of competence, common sense, or success (although it does correlate with those criteria to a certain degree). Any individual can mess up what they have.

I suspect that everyone on this board is probably overestimating their IQ by a bit, including me. It's not so much that we aren't smart. It's just that it's so hard to go up a point once you start going up to higher numbers. For example, the probability of a person with 135 IQ is probably 1 in 102, with a standard deviation of 15. So, you might find a person with a 135 IQ in a room full of 102 people. If you add 5 more points to make a 140 IQ, the probability jumps to 1 in 261. If you add 5 points again, you're looking at 1 in 741. For me to suggest 145-155 for myself is an absurd window, and I probably should have been called out for it. I'm probably about 10 points too high, and my window is far too large. It only makes sense to have a gap like that when you're near the norm, and I should know better.

I may go take a test just to put this question to bed for myself. If I were being completely vulnerable, I would have to admit that it would be difficult for me, personally, because a lot of my identity has been based around my intelligence.

All that said, it wouldn't surprise me if many of the posters here had a higher IQ than the norm.

(This post was last modified: 08-03-2020, 08:23 AM by The Real Marty.)

(08-03-2020, 07:56 AM)Lucky2Last Wrote: I am not sure anyone is whipping out their IQ outside of the post that got this all started. I'm just sharing what I know about the subject, since I used to teach about it and have researched it extensively. I have stated multiple times that IQ by itself is not an indicator of competence, common sense, or success (although it does correlate with those criteria to a certain degree). Any individual can mess up what they have.

I suspect that everyone on this board is probably overestimating their IQ by a bit, including me. It's not so much that we aren't smart. It's just that it's so hard to go up a point once you start going up to higher numbers. For example, the probability of a person with 135 IQ is probably 1 in 102, with a standard deviation of 15. So, you might find a person with a 135 IQ in a room full of 102 people. If you add 5 more points to make a 140 IQ, the probability jumps to 1 in 261. If you add 5 points again, you're looking at 1 in 741. For me to suggest 145-155 for myself is an absurd window, and I probably should have been called out for it. I'm probably about 10 points too high, and my window is far too large. It only makes sense to have a gap like that when you're near the norm, and I should know better.

I may go take a test just to put this question to bed for myself. If I were being completely vulnerable, I would have to admit that it would be difficult for me, personally, because a lot of my identity has been based around my intelligence.

All that said, it wouldn't surprise me if many of the posters here had a higher IQ than the norm.

Don't do it!  Live with the fantasy IQ!  You'll be so much happier!

Besides, if you score really high, everyone's going to think you cheated.  So you can't win.  Don't do it.

We are all very smart but we dumb down our posts because we think everyone else is stupid. Smile

(08-02-2020, 06:52 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: So the context is all about what you don't know. When I ask how many people are smarter than you, I am not asking who has learned something different than you. Imagine you're in a room with 100 people and you're all given a series of questions and no one there has an advantage of pre-existing knowledge with which to answer the question. There are materials there that will help  you learn some information that is repeatable, some information needs to be applied, and there will be some deductions that need to be made. If you're being honest with yourself, out of a room of 100 people, how many there do you think would be smarter than you? 1? 5? 10? 

Of course your last point is true. I have often said that intelligence alone is not worth anything. To that end, I definitely don't tout myself as any kind of example. My wife does far greater good than I have at this point in our lives, so I don't think IQ has any stand-alone merit. Often when discussing this, people tend to mistake crystallized intelligence for fluid intelligence. IQ is an attempt to predict the former, not the later. 

Some people subscribe to the idea that IQ measures a general intelligence, also known as the G factor. People who believe that think that people with a high G factor are good at learning anything they want. Others subscribe to a multiple intelligences theory. In this theory, they think there are multiple different areas of intelligence such as linguistic or musical ability. I am not as big a fan of multiple intelligences, because it seems to be trying to build it's theory around an idea, not data.

The fact that you say you can't say without knowing who is in the room shows you have a higher IQ. I think it was in reference to having 100 people and using the IQ %. Statistically there my be 1 person in a room with a higher IQ, but that still doesn't make you smarter than the other people in the room.

I definitely think IQ measures general intelligence. I know that I can learn anything if I want to apply myself. I can read, watch, or repeat something and learn/figure out how to do it myself. It has been very helpful in life to be able to learn how to do stuff that most people pay other people to do and generally I do it well. There are things that you do need some skills to do that are beyond IQ though. Sports, arts, linguistics, etc that you need some physical skills that can only be learned to a certain point. Having a higher IQ will help you be advanced, but to master those you need more than being smart.

(08-03-2020, 06:02 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(08-02-2020, 08:16 PM)copycat Wrote: I completely understand your point, I just don’t care.  Watching people whip out their IQ’s like teenage boys comparing the size of their pickles is amusing to me.  Me trying to understand philosophy would be hilarious.  On the other hand if an IMP is dropped in the morning I’d be a legend by night fall. IQ, knowledge, intelligence, common sense, adaptability, flexibility and probably 10 other traits I have missed are all interchangeable depending on the situation.  

So to answer the question, I can’t answer the question until I know who the other 99 are.  Me walking into a Mensa convention probably 100 out 100.  We walking into an AOC rally, 1 out of 100.

What's a an IMP? See, I'm already behind. I ate the crayons given to me for my IQ test.

Doh!  EMP!  Pass me one of those crayons.
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

Laughing

(08-03-2020, 08:20 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(08-03-2020, 07:56 AM)Lucky2Last Wrote: I am not sure anyone is whipping out their IQ outside of the post that got this all started. I'm just sharing what I know about the subject, since I used to teach about it and have researched it extensively. I have stated multiple times that IQ by itself is not an indicator of competence, common sense, or success (although it does correlate with those criteria to a certain degree). Any individual can mess up what they have.

Don't do it!  Live with the fantasy IQ!  You'll be so much happier!

Besides, if you score really high, everyone's going to think you cheated.  So you can't win.  Don't do it.

If all snarks were snorks and half of snicks were snarks, how many snorks are snicks?

4, 5, 11, 34, 137

What's the next number?

(08-03-2020, 06:02 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote:
(08-03-2020, 08:20 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Don't do it!  Live with the fantasy IQ!  You'll be so much happier!

If all snarks were snorks and half of snicks were snarks, how many snorks are snicks?

4, 5, 11, 34, 137

What's the next number?

Pssh, that’s easy. Apple pie.

I am an idiot ... I seen this thread this morning, and then looked up online IQ test. Final results were "You are between 111 and 122 ... By the time I got to the last 10 questions, I was happily taking my best guess answer. Is 111 to 122 good for a 77 year old person? (I may be 77, I can't remember to be certain).

Have y'all figured out which one of you guys is the smartest yet?

This should be a poll.

(08-03-2020, 06:53 PM)Sammy Wrote: I am an idiot ... I seen this thread this morning, and then looked up online IQ test. Final results were "You are between 111 and 122 ... By the time I got to the last 10 questions, I was happily taking my best guess answer. Is 111 to 122 good for a 77 year old person? (I may be 77, I can't remember to be certain).

That's genius for someone living in Indiana.

Lol.

(08-04-2020, 12:40 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote: Have y'all figured out which one of you guys is the smartest yet?

This should be a poll.

Can't be sure who would win.  Do you think it'd be corn or blank #2?
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(08-04-2020, 12:57 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(08-03-2020, 06:53 PM)Sammy Wrote: I am an idiot ... I seen this thread this morning, and then looked up online IQ test. Final results were "You are between 111 and 122 ... By the time I got to the last 10 questions, I was happily taking my best guess answer. Is 111 to 122 good for a 77 year old person? (I may be 77, I can't remember to be certain).

That's genius for someone living in Indiana.

That is just fine, Mr. Hurrycane. Next time you need someone to slop the cats, milk the pigs, or shuck the chickens … You remember this conversation.

(08-04-2020, 12:40 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote: Have y'all figured out which one of you guys is the smartest yet?

I have.

(08-04-2020, 08:22 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:

I have.

Me too.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Y'all gonna eat them crayons?

(08-04-2020, 08:40 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Y'all gonna eat them crayons?

I'm allergic to the strawberry ones, gave me lead poisoning.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato