Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
IQ Thread

(This post was last modified: 07-30-2020, 09:42 PM by TrivialPursuit.)

(07-30-2020, 03:57 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(07-30-2020, 03:47 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: Obama is the worst President since Jimmy Carter.

There ya go. That's just as factual as your infographic.

I see similar facebook comments from some of my former classmates from high school that went to Vo Tech and got D's in tough classes like Earth Space Science but are not experts in Health and Science.

Oh man..

I'd love to take an IQ test with you and watch you cry as you score 50 points less.

EDIT: Which honestly gives you 25 points more than I think you'd get as mine is 165.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(07-30-2020, 09:40 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: Who the hell cares?

Seriously, he was a Cancer survivor in his 70s... he should have known to quarantine himself.

(07-30-2020, 03:57 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: I see similar facebook comments from some of my former classmates from high school that went to Vo Tech and got D's in tough classes like Earth Space Science but are not experts in Health and Science.

Oh man..

I'd love to take an IQ test with you and watch you cry as you score 50 points less.

EDIT: Which honestly gives you 25 points more than I think you'd get as mine is 165.

Congrats on the good test score, but, Hurricane wasn't bragging about his own intelligence.  He was just insulting that of others. 
If you really are at 165, you're about 30 points higher than me.  But all it means is you *can* recognize patterns and learn new facts faster than most people.  It doesn't mean you do, nor does it mean the stuff you're "learning" is true.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

Seriously, he was a Cancer survivor in his 70s... he should have known to quarantine himself.

(07-30-2020, 03:57 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: I see similar facebook comments from some of my former classmates from high school that went to Vo Tech and got D's in tough classes like Earth Space Science but are not experts in Health and Science.

Oh man..

So, with an IQ of 165, what do you do for a living?  Just curious.

(07-31-2020, 04:45 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:

Oh man..

So, with an IQ of 165, what do you do for a living?  Just curious.

He will definitely earn a lot of money and run a 4.5 40 at a minimum.

(07-31-2020, 05:12 AM)lastonealive Wrote:
(07-31-2020, 04:45 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: So, with an IQ of 165, what do you do for a living?  Just curious.

He will definitely earn a lot of money and run a 4.5 40 at a minimum.

I'm really really curious.  165 is a very high IQ.  I'm just wondering what he does for a living.

Not sure if that's telling... i have a pretty high IQ, and I'm a stay at home dad.

(07-31-2020, 07:51 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: Not sure if that's telling... i have a pretty high IQ, and I'm a stay at home dad.

Yeah, the pastor of my church is, well....a pastor. His full time job is owning and operating a small print shop. He has an IQ score of 187. He's 75 years old though and his memory is going down some. It's got to be frustrating for him to be so intelligent and cognizant of his mind starting to betray him. 

My cousin is literally a genius, is an environmental engineer and has the common sense of a squirrel.

What does IQ do without a high paying job?

(07-31-2020, 10:25 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: What does IQ do without a high paying job?

DQ?
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(07-31-2020, 10:38 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(07-31-2020, 10:25 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: What does IQ do without a high paying job?

DQ?

Dairy Queen or disqualified?

(This post was last modified: 08-01-2020, 06:22 AM by The Real Marty.)

(07-31-2020, 07:51 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: Not sure if that's telling... i have a pretty high IQ, and I'm a stay at home dad.

I've known a few people with very high IQs and they run the gamut.  I know one who scored a 160 on an IQ test and he paints houses for a living.  I know another guy, who is undoubtedly a genius- he likes to read books on advanced mathematics- and he is a programmer, but not particularly successful financially or professionally.  I know a few others.  One thing they all seem to have in common is an overwhelming confidence in their own opinion about things.  

If someone is doing advanced mathematics for a living, or is a grandmaster in chess, there is no doubt those people have a very high IQ.  On the other hand, I can think of two people I grew up with that I thought were some of the dumbest people I ever met, and somehow one is now a lawyer and the other is a doctor.   

I've never taken an IQ test.  I have no idea what my IQ is.

In my opinion, there is one talent that is overwhelmingly more important in life than IQ, athletic ability, good looks, or anything else- it is the ability to make the right choices.  Life is an endless series of choices, and some people manage to navigate through, and other people are stymied.

(07-31-2020, 11:36 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(07-31-2020, 10:38 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: DQ?

Dairy Queen or disqualified?

They quit selling the Drumstick Blizzard.  Sad

We should get Mikesez to use his considerable influence to bring it back.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(08-01-2020, 06:13 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:

I've known a few people with very high IQs and they run the gamut.  I know one who scored a 160 on an IQ test and he paints houses for a living.  I know another guy, who is undoubtedly a genius- he likes to read books on advanced mathematics- and he is a programmer, but not particularly successful financially or professionally.  I know a few others.  One thing they all seem to have in common is an overwhelming confidence in their own opinion about things.  

If someone is doing advanced mathematics for a living, or is a grandmaster in chess, there is no doubt those people have a very high IQ.  On the other hand, I can think of two people I grew up with that I thought were some of the dumbest people I ever met, and somehow one is now a lawyer and the other is a doctor.   

I've never taken an IQ test.  I have no idea what my IQ is.

In my opinion, there is one talent that is overwhelmingly more important in life than IQ, athletic ability, good looks, or anything else- it is the ability to make the right choices.  Life is an endless series of choices, and some people manage to navigate through, and other people are stymied.

I might be splitting hairs, but I think having a driven personality is separate from intelligence. There are studies that suggest that higher IQ people tend to be more, not less moral, so I am not sure it's about making the right choices (assuming right means moral). My wife is a doctor, and one thing I learned while she was going to med school is that doctors are not particularly smart, they are just really hard workers. I think this holds true for many of these higher tier professions. From what I've read about IQ, you do need a certain level of intelligence to do well in memory based field, like doctors and lawyers. They need to know a lot of information, and they need to be able to pack it in over a relatively short period of time, and you can't do that without above average intelligence. However, this level of intelligence is not insanely higher than the general populace. Anywhere from 115-130 is high enough to be proficient in almost any field. 

I use the following as a general guideline, but, like all things generic, doesn't encapsulate any person fully; there are always exceptions: 
  • Below 70 - 5% of population, special needs, don't understand social norms, hard to get any job
  • 70-85 - 13% of population, struggle to do anything but repetitive tasks, higher propensity of violence, care less about social norms
  • 85-115 - 70% of population, follow social norms, can do most jobs that don't involve high amounts of wrote memorization, not critical thinkers, but not reckless 
  • 115-130 - 12% of population, can do most jobs, distinguish themselves from the previous tier through hard work, some critical thinking, especially after having been shown how, they set societal norms
  • 130-145 - 3.5% of population, can do any job, understand societal norms, but often question them, can can struggle fitting in, natural inside the box critical thinkers, but able to think outside the paradigm
  • 145-160 - 1.49% of population, can do any job, question societal norms, critical thinkers that see outside the box, and can use known information to deduce new information, willing to change the current paradigm
  • 160+ - .01% of population, quirky, tend to get fixated/obsessed on topics, don't understand social norms, can potentially understand and create new concepts that weren't previously understood, seemingly out of thin air, like gravity or theory of relativity, can change the current paradigm

I am certain the above is flawed in some way. It's been years since I was really interested in IQ, so a lot of this is from memory. Also, like I said above, these are generalizations and won't apply to everyone. If I needed to make a bet on how accurate my assessment was, I'd be reluctant to put down any money, so take it with a grain of salt. I have adopted this metric in my personal life, though, and I feel like it holds up relatively well.

Why was that thread closed?

How about we just move the IQ threads to this thread and rename it if that was the problem.

Maybe racism at play?

(This post was last modified: 08-01-2020, 06:18 PM by The Real Marty.)

(08-01-2020, 04:55 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: How about we just move the IQ threads to this thread and rename it if that was the problem.

Well, maybe it's not that important, but I did want to respond to your last post in that thread.  

When I said "ability to make the right choices," I wasn't referring to morality.  What I meant was, the ability to navigate through life successfully.  For example, can a person define what they want in life, figure out how to get it, and take the correct route to that goal.  

That's what I was saying.  Some people call it good judgment.  A causal determinist, who thinks all our choices are actually predetermined, would call it luck- having the stars aligned in your favor.  

Having a 165 IQ as you have, though, is a pretty amazing thing.  What do you do with that brain of yours?  You don't have to answer if that's too personal.

I didn't claim to have 165. That was Trivial Pursuit, if I recall. I don't think I'm that high. I only know I have a decent IQ, because I was invited to join Mensa after taking an IQ test my freshman year of HS, so I'm at least over 135. If I had to guess, based on what I've learned, I'd say I'm between 145-155.

Funny story; my mom complained to the school that I should be in gifted in talented, but I didn't want to, so I half-heartedly took the GT examination (not an IQ test). I didn't do well, and when my mom asked me why not, I told her the truth. She went up to the school and complained again and asked for me to retake it. The counselor said that I couldn't retake it, but I could take an official IQ test, and if I scored high enough, I could get in GT. My mom told me I'd be grounded if I didn't try my best, and I ended up doing pretty well. The school was forced to put me in the AP and GT program. Luckily for me, I would have had to retake my senior year of classes if not for the AP bump in my GPA. I had a 1.7 that was rounded to a 2.0. I was a terrible student, but I ended up becoming a Gifted and Talented teacher for a while in a weird twist of fate. I learned all about IQ back then, and one of the big lessons is that it's pretty common for people in the higher percentiles to rebel against systems. That's pretty much the story of my  life until my mid-30's, when I got tired of trying to change the system.

To answer your question. I don't do anything special with my brain. I raise my kids, I learn stuff like philosophy, psychology, history, cultures, and modern affairs (with a strong dose of whatever new hobby piques my interest... right now that's fishing), and I post on the internet. It's a waste, really, and people constantly like to remind me.

(08-01-2020, 08:47 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: I didn't claim to have 165. That was Trivial Pursuit, if I recall. I don't think I'm that high. I only know I have a decent IQ, because I was invited to join Mensa after taking an IQ test my freshman year of HS, so I'm at least over 135. If I had to guess, based on what I've learned, I'd say I'm between 145-155.

Funny story; my mom complained to the school that I should be in gifted in talented, but I didn't want to, so I half-heartedly took the GT examination (not an IQ test). I didn't do well, and when my mom asked me why not, I told her the truth. She went up to the school and complained again and asked for me to retake it. The counselor said that I couldn't retake it, but I could take an official IQ test, and if I scored high enough, I could get in GT. My mom told me I'd be grounded if I didn't try my best, and I ended up doing pretty well. The school was forced to put me in the AP and GT program. Luckily for me, I would have had to retake my senior year of classes if not for the AP bump in my GPA. I had a 1.7 that was rounded to a 2.0. I was a terrible student, but I ended up becoming a Gifted and Talented teacher for a while in a weird twist of fate. I learned all about IQ back then, and one of the big lessons is that it's pretty common for people in the higher percentiles to rebel against systems. That's pretty much the story of my  life until my mid-30's, when I got tired of trying to change the system.

To answer your question. I don't do anything special with my brain. I raise my kids, I learn stuff like philosophy, psychology, history, cultures, and modern affairs (with a strong dose of whatever new hobby piques my interest... right now that's fishing), and I post on the internet. It's a waste, really, and people constantly like to remind me.

Interesting.  In Jacksonville they gave us an aptitude test every year and mine always reported back 99th percentile.  By the charts I've seen, that puts me somewhere north of 135, but probably not that far north.  I was 95th percentile on the GRE, but the baseline there is other GRE test takers, not the overall population.
I'm not convinced it means much, anyhow. When I took the SAT at age 18, math was my weaker subject. But when I took the GRE at age 22, I had four years of engineering school under my belt and I aced the math portion. My verbal portion actually declined. So I don't think we're really tracking a permanent feature of someone's personality here.
I was sort of a problem child in school. From about first grade to 7th grade, I pretty consistently and deliberately challenged the teacher's authority.  By eighth grade, for some reason, I mellowed out and only spoke to the teacher when spoken to, and things got a lot better.
I always liked to take tests and write essays, but I did not like to do homework, so I didn't. So like you, I also underperformed compared to my supposed potential.
I've got two kids and we're seeing dad's traits in them, good and bad.  
We've told both of them, "you know your dad was like that" when they're being bad.  About a year ago, my dad heard this and he just volunteered, "yeah, I was a handful too, your grandmother was exasperated with me." I was shocked.  "18 years in your house, with you telling me all I'm doing wrong, and you're telling me this NOW?"
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

I breathe through my open mouth.

I like corn dogs.