Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
NFL going full sjw

(09-11-2020, 04:16 PM)p_rushing Wrote: NFL ratings down 12.3%, with nothing else on to watch

https://deadline.com/2020/09/nfl-ratings...234575251/

LOL wrong...

There was NBA, NHL, MLB and College Football all going on at the same time as the NFL game last night...

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(09-11-2020, 05:30 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(09-11-2020, 04:16 PM)p_rushing Wrote: NFL ratings down 12.3%, with nothing else on to watch

https://deadline.com/2020/09/nfl-ratings...234575251/

LOL wrong...

There was NBA, NHL, MLB and College Football all going on at the same time as the NFL game last night...

No, I think p_rushing was right.  Nothing else to watch.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(09-11-2020, 05:51 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(09-11-2020, 05:30 PM)Eric1 Wrote: LOL wrong...

No, I think p_rushing was right.  Nothing else to watch.

Again, Wrong.

2nd highest rated opener in the last 5 years but ratings are down right?

Politics have turned your guy's brains into mush.

(09-11-2020, 05:56 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(09-11-2020, 05:51 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: No, I think p_rushing was right.  Nothing else to watch.

Again, Wrong.

Whatever.  My "mush brain" can't handle watching NBA or NHL on tv.  MLB maybe during the playoffs.  College football...  very selectively.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(09-11-2020, 06:24 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(09-11-2020, 05:56 PM)Eric1 Wrote: Again, Wrong.

Whatever.  My "mush brain" can't handle watching NBA or NHL on tv.  MLB maybe during the playoffs.  College football...  very selectively.

And that's perfectly fine, but saying there's nothing on to watch, just because YOU don't want to watch it is pretty dumb.

(09-11-2020, 06:37 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(09-11-2020, 06:24 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: Whatever.  My "mush brain" can't handle watching NBA or NHL on tv.  MLB maybe during the playoffs.  College football...  very selectively.

And that's perfectly fine, but saying there's nothing on to watch, just because YOU don't want to watch it is pretty dumb.

There was 1 college football game and it was bad. NBA already lost it viewers. NHL never had viewers. NFL doesn't lose viewers to those programs.

The 1st game of the season is the most watched game each season other than the superbowl. Being down 12.3% is huge. The NFL just lost a bunch of money from the tv deals they want to sign. That 12% was 16% before they "adjusted" it. It even includes online streaming. If this continues on Sunday, the ratings will not be good.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

(This post was last modified: 09-11-2020, 07:19 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

I don't watch the games until I know they've already started. I don't even care if I miss the opening kickoff. I've seen enough social justice stuff to last a lifetime. I'm sick of it. I just wanna watch football without having to deal with the problems of the world. If I wanted to see that stuff, I'd watch the news.

(09-11-2020, 07:17 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I don't watch the games until I know they've already started. I don't even care if I miss the opening kickoff. I've seen enough social justice stuff to last a lifetime. I'm sick of it. I just wanna watch football without having to deal with the problems of the world. If I wanted to see that stuff, I'd watch the news.

Bingo.  I want to watch football for entertainment, to get away from all the crap in the world.

I know you all have your opinions, but Gallop lets us know the mood of the Nation.

Gallup says that professional sports took a 30 point drop in favorability over the last year, and that poll was conducted before the latest NBA boycott.

The pro leagues better hope they keep their Chinese support because America seems to be tiring of their bull [BLEEP].

Link to story

In fact, the only industries worse are Big Pharma and the Congress.

Basically America think pro athletes are overpaid cry babies and the US federal government is a bunch of [BLEEP] hats.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(09-11-2020, 07:17 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I don't watch the games until I know they've already started. I don't even care if I miss the opening kickoff. I've seen enough social justice stuff to last a lifetime. I'm sick of it. I just wanna watch football without having to deal with the problems of the world. If I wanted to see that stuff, I'd watch the news.

Agreed, there will always be bad people and racism from every race, sex, and nationality.  Standing and holding hands with signs isnt going going to do anything but make things worse.  People watch sports to get away from politics and negative stuff like that yet its being forced down everyone's throats regardless, that's where the booing comes from.

(This post was last modified: 09-12-2020, 07:44 AM by TurndownforWatt.)

(08-29-2020, 06:03 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(08-29-2020, 05:40 PM)p_rushing Wrote: Ratings are including streaming platforms. If you are in the ratings, you log what you watch, it doesn't matter if it is on OTA, TV service, or streaming. The games are still on the same station no matter the distribution method.

With the ratings going do, less money being available and/or spent on ads, no new shows to advertise for, and budgets cut, the contracts will have to go down. Now with mixing politics together, it's going to hurt even more. People have lived without sports and the ratings haven't been great since they came back. People have figured out there is plenty of other things to do on the weekends.

If they interrupt the game to tell me how a spoiled millionaire was discriminated when he has been given whatever since high school, I'm not going to sit through that. If they do instead of a commercial, I can live with fast forwarding.

Their feelings are nothing but growing up poor and stupid. It has nothing to do with race as other races in the same environment have the same issues.

Ratings do not include the vast amounts of people who cut the cord and watch through methods which aren't technically legal. Also, the NFL ratings have gone up despite a huge increase in civil rights awareness on the average game day. So your hypothesis isn't even accurate, people who are triggered by awareness campaigns are a tiny minority. 

And to add to that the TV deals the NFL and NBA sign will be bigger than that previous one they signed. That's how these things work, the cap would only go down due to revenue lost from covid, not revenue lost from TV deals.

Man, I use "illegal" methods to watch the Astros and Rockets. With most MLB/NBA teams, you have to have a sports package subscription with a local cable sports network, which you usually have sign a Direct TV or Comcrap contract (In Houston it's At&t sportsnet).. and I refuse to pay for their overpriced service with even worse customer service.  This however has NOTHING to do with the NFL as EVERY NFL GAME can be seen on free network television in their local viewing areas. Cord cutters don't even have to worry about watching their teams.

If they're down 12%, they're legitimately down 12%.. You act like those illegal links just came out this year and haven't been there for years to use already, why weren't they down 12% then? And yes, this WILL affect the new TV advertising/TV contracts.. Low/lower ratings affects advertising/TV revenue, which affects income, which then affects operation budget..  which then either affects growths or cuts to said budget, which then affects salaries and jobs.

There's a reason why ESPNBC had to have a max exioudus and fire a LOT of their on air commentators/reporters, and expert analysts.  Their ratings fell through the floor.. and this happened BEFORE people even knew what Covid was and everything was locked down BTW.  The problem is the liberal media is allowing their political commentary/ideology to bleed over from their political programming into their non political programs and people are simply starting to turn the channel. People are tired of all that B.S.

If you don't think the decision made to be politically active by our Pro Leauges hasn't hurt their numbers, you're ignoring the numbers.

(This post was last modified: 09-12-2020, 12:31 PM by Ronster.)

My first words words were not Mamma not Daddy, but " I hate Dallas" I have been an NFL fan for 51 years. Never in my life have I been more disgusted with what these ignorant, petulatant rich boys are doing, than i am right now. If I cared what someone that played with a ball thought, I would ask my DOG before these stupid millionaires. I did not watch thursday and I don't l know if I can watch this Sunday, I am that disgusted. I thought I was done last year, but the leauge seemed to try to distance themselves from the whole fiasco and I thought we could get past it. But their ignorant display this year has me furious. Everything about #BLM is a LIE. They are putting CRIMINALS on their helmets, CRIMINALS!! I think the NFL could'nt wait to jump on the #BLM bandwagon. But they are being shortsighted and it has hurt their brand and also their future. I really don't know what to do at this point. My love for the NFL is deep, but my love for my country and my hate for racist is deeper. Make no mistake, #BLM IS RACIST....
"If you always do what you've always done, You'll always get what you always got"

(09-12-2020, 12:30 PM)Ronster Wrote: My first words words were not Mamma not Daddy, but " I hate Dallas" I have been an NFL fan for 51 years. Never in my life have I been more disgusted with what these ignorant, petulatant rich boys are doing, than i am right now. If I cared what someone that played with a ball thought, I would ask my DOG before these stupid millionaires. I did not watch thursday and I don't l know if I can watch this Sunday, I am that disgusted. I thought I was done last year, but the leauge seemed to try to distance themselves from the whole fiasco and I thought we could get past it. But their ignorant display this year has me furious. Everything about #BLM is a LIE. They are putting CRIMINALS on their helmets, CRIMINALS!! I think the NFL could'nt wait to jump on the #BLM bandwagon. But they are being shortsighted and it has hurt their brand and also their future. I really don't know what to do at this point. My love for the NFL is deep, but my love for my country and my hate for racist is deeper. Make no mistake, #BLM IS RACIST....

The inmates are officially running the asylum now. The owners better take back control quickly.

I can say this Over the last 4 years I’ve caught myself caring less and less. I didn’t care for the players we had and some of the outspoken opinions they actively pushed and the team sucked anyways. I can tolerate having a bunch of me first divas and just wait it out but when they start lecturing me about white privilege you loose me real quick. If it goes on to long I’ll find something else to do. I’m already skipping week 2 and 3 I would’ve never done that 10 years ago. Honestly if kit for Minshew I’m not sure I’d even follow this team anymore but he is interesting for now. Something about an underdog with a personality is entertaining.

I absolutely loved hearing the boooos Thursday’s it was funny to watch.
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

I forgot there was a game.

I don't really understand what the NFL has to gain from this. I was watching an interesting video that talked about the dark triad of personality traits, which is made up of narcissism, Machiavellianism, and psychopathy. It asserted that people who have the dark triad are significantly more likely to virtue signal. It got me wondering if that's why these CEO's are being so quick to adopt the social justice mantras. I don't think all CEO's have the dark triad, but it makes sense that it would be more common at the highest echelons of our society.

(09-12-2020, 12:30 PM)Ronster Wrote: My first words words were not Mamma not Daddy, but " I hate Dallas" I have been an NFL fan for 51 years. Never in my life have I been more disgusted with what these ignorant, petulatant rich boys are doing, than i am right now. If I cared what someone that played with a ball thought, I would ask my DOG before these stupid millionaires. I did not watch thursday and I don't l know if I can watch this Sunday, I am that disgusted. I thought I was done last year, but the leauge seemed to try to distance themselves from the whole fiasco and I thought we could get past it. But their ignorant display this year has me furious. Everything about #BLM is a LIE. They are putting CRIMINALS on their helmets, CRIMINALS!! I think the NFL could'nt wait to jump on the #BLM bandwagon. But they are being shortsighted and it has hurt their brand and also their future. I really don't know what to do at this point. My love for the NFL is deep, but my love for my country and my hate for racist is deeper. Make no mistake, #BLM IS RACIST....
The PC stuff started it for me and it has just continued to grow. With all the issues coming from the Jags owner not making smart football decisions, I made my mind up that I was done spending money on the Jags. I didn't renew my tickets and I have 0 interest in getting any of the many available single game tickets.
(09-12-2020, 01:01 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: I forgot there was a game.

I don't really understand what the NFL has to gain from this. I was watching an interesting video that talked about the dark triad of personality traits, which is made up of narcissism, Machiavellianism, and psychopathy. It asserted that people who have the dark triad are significantly more likely to virtue signal. It got me wondering if that's why these CEO's are being so quick to adopt the social justice mantras. I don't think all CEO's have the dark triad, but it makes sense that it would be more common at the highest echelons of our society.
The NFL wants to grow their viewership, but they forgot to keep the viewers they have. They think they can grow and replace the people that leave.

CEOs don't necessarily believe this stuff, but they want to keep their jobs. They know if they make any statements against or don't at least support it as a token, they will be fired or forced to resign.

You have Kansas State wearing a BLM patch. If I was a player I wouldn't be wearing that and would take them to court as a public university supporting a political organization and forcing me to wear it.

The point I was making is that the people who get to the highest levels tend to be extremely calculating, manipulative, and concerned only about their own self-interest. A new study shows that people who virtue signal are more likely to have those 3 personality traits. They don't virtue signal because they care, but because they have learned it is a way to manipulate others for personal gain. I think it makes sense that these CEO's have adopted the language of this movement. They will only be corrected if their bottom dollar can be hurt and they themselves become in danger of losing their positions.

The citizenry of the US as a whole has done a terrible job of actually boycotting any company, and, I think, with the rise of the international market, the consumers in the US have become less important. To make this worse, the US has almost an institutionalized version of capitalism, that rewards companies for towing the narrative, so the free market doesn't have the impact it should on bad decisions. For example, if the NFL did nothing, ESPN would rake them over the coals, and the NFL executives and owners have learned that the damage caused by the other institutions can be more damaging than the consumer who has shown they aren't very good at boycotts. The institutional influence of Hollywood, the MSM, government, and academia are far more powerful than the people, at least in our current system. That is going to have to change before any of this changes.

(This post was last modified: 09-12-2020, 07:25 PM by mikesez.)

(09-12-2020, 02:59 PM)p_rushing Wrote: CEOs don't necessarily believe this stuff, but they want to keep their jobs minorities spending money with them. They know if they make any statements against or don't at least support it as a token, they will be fired or forced to resign lose customers.

You have Kansas State wearing a BLM patch. If I was a player I wouldn't be wearing that and would take them to court as a public university supporting a political organization and forcing me to wear it. Then I would be confused as a judge dismissed me for lack of standing, as it turns out I have no right to play football, nor any compulsion to stay at KState.  I can go to some other university if I don't like KState's patch.

(09-12-2020, 06:42 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: The point I was making is that the people who get to the highest levels tend to be extremely calculating, manipulative, and concerned only about their own self-interest. A new study shows that people who virtue signal are more likely to have those 3 personality traits. They don't virtue signal because they care, but because they have learned it is a way to manipulate others for personal gain. I think it makes sense that these CEO's have adopted the language of this movement. They will only be corrected if their bottom dollar can be hurt and they themselves become in danger of losing their positions.

The citizenry of the US as a whole has done a terrible job of actually boycotting any company, and, I think, with the rise of the international market, the consumers in the US have become less important. To make this worse, the US has almost an institutionalized version of capitalism, that rewards companies for towing the narrative, so the free market doesn't have the impact it should on bad decisions. For example, if the NFL did nothing, ESPN would rake them over the coals, and the NFL executives and owners have learned that the damage caused by the other institutions can be more damaging than the consumer who has shown they aren't very good at boycotts. The institutional influence of Hollywood, the MSM, government, and academia are far more powerful than the people, at least in our current system. That is going to have to change before any of this changes.

These are great observations. It really is self-eating snakes all the way down, lately. I don't think it will always be this way, and I also don't think there's any way we can deliberately change it. One day it will change, but no one can say how until it happens.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

Sunday night ratings are down big, 28% in demo and 23% overall. The % will come down some but that is huge with the Cowboys and Rams playing.

https://deadline.com/2020/09/rams-nfl-su...234576202/

(09-14-2020, 02:22 PM)p_rushing Wrote: Sunday night ratings are down big, 28% in demo and 23% overall. The % will come down some but that is huge with the Cowboys and Rams playing.

https://deadline.com/2020/09/rams-nfl-su...234576202/

If true that is devastating for NFL, seeing as there is literally nothing else to watch.