Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
This Week in the AFC South-Week 1

(This post was last modified: 09-07-2020, 11:01 AM by Bullseye.)

Egads what a year so far!  Covid-19 an the accompanying shurdown has caused all kinds of chaos.  The sports leagues, including football, have not been immune.  Baseball and Basketball have had shortened seasons.  I'm not sure what hockey is doing.  The horse races, and as I understand it, autoraces and gold tournaments were impacted too.  Though I don't follow other sports closely, it is nonetheless troubling to see all that turmoil happen in the sports landscape.  As for the NFL, the first noticeable impact was on the draft-held remotely at Godell's house.  But fear not my fellow Jaguars fans.  The tradition of cutting to commercial during the Jaguars pick continued stronger than ever.  We lost the preseason dynamic as the preseason games were canceled and training camp practices leaguewide were closed to the public.Many teams will have either no fans or a highly reduced number of fans during games and teams will carry larger practice squads.  Some college conferences will opt not to play football at all this year, and others look to play substantially reduced schedules.  This will have an impact on scouting for the next year.  But for now we have football, and despite all of the horrific circumstances surrounding the season, I will try to enjoy this season as much as I can, and I suspect if you are on the boards, you are of a similar mindset in this regard.

With that said, here are the Opening Week's slate in the AFC South.

Houston Texans (0-0) at Kansas City Chiefs (0-0)-In a rematch of the playoff matchup, the Texans venture into KC to go against the world champion Chiefs.  If any team is going to suffer from the lack of a home field crowd/minimized home field advantage, it's KC.  But at the end of the night, it will depend on which offense (both of whom are operating with young franchise QBs fresh off of contract extensions) will execute more efficiently.  I still give the edge to KC eere, as they retained all of their receivers from last year's Super Bowl run.  On the other hand, the Texans went through some turnover, starting with the trade of DeAndre Hopkins to Arizona.  If the Chiefs can block Watt-and I think they will-the Chiefs win.  KC Wins 38-34.

Indianapolis Colts (0-0) at Jacksonville Jaguars (0-0)-There is the hope around here that an experienced Gardner Minshew in a Jay Gruden led offense, stocked with a good group of receivers, combined with a bunch of young hungry players with chips on their shoulders will shock some people.  The Jaguars look like they have the makings of a pretty strong WR corps with the addition of rookie LaViska Shenault and proficiency-if not an abundance of durability at TE with the addition of Tyler Eifert.  Minshew looks like he could take a step up.  But it takes talent to win in this league, and the trends show the past two seasons, the Colts have been accumulating a considerable amount of talent, while the Jaguars have been dismantling their team.  One of the Colts additions was QB Phillip Rivers.  In my entire Jaguars fan existence, I have dreaded facing him more than any other QB.  People say he is old and past his prime, but he put up fifty on us last year, and he's going against a rookie CB in Henderson.  Until his arm falls off, or he retires, I will always view him as a threat to the Jaguars. This is the first of many losses in what should be a long season for the Jaguars.  Colts win 35, Jaguars 17.

Tennessee Titans (0-0) at Denver Broncos (0-0)-last we saw the tacks, they were losing to KC in the AFC championship after an impressive playoff run which included wins over New England and Baltimore.  After planting seeds of dount during his stint in Houston, Vrabel has impressed as tack coach.  They aded DE-OLB Jadeveon Clowney, who is no stranger to the division, starting his career in Houston.    They got to Denver on a Monday night game to face the Broncos.  While Denver is another team that will have a less of a home field advantage than normal, they also offer an impressive array of skill position players with 2nd year QB Drew Lock, WRs Courtland Sutton, rookie WRs Jerry Jeudy and KJ Hamler, and 2nd year TE Noah Fant.  To win, Denver's front seven must find a way to control Derrick Henry and pressure Tannehilll.  Von Miller, who is problematic for most offenses under normal circumstances, will either be up against a rookie in Isaiah Wilson (who is currently on the Covid 19 reserve list) or capable swing T Dennis Kelly.  former tack and current Bronco pain in the butt Jurrell Casey, a fine DL, could play a huge role.  It'll be nice to see him give Tennesse problems for a change. Despite the impressive skill positions, they are unproven.  Though they could give Tennessee problems, I am picking Tennessee to win on the road 23 20.

Last year: (incomplete)
Overall:  0-0

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

overall record 0-0  this week i am picking  

chiefs

colts

titans

snowwolf titans owner in madden.

note titans owner means im undeafted againest them. 

Nice to see you back doing these Bullseye.  This is one of the things that I look forward to every season.  I hope that you are doing well.

My selections for the start of the season.

Chiefs
Jaguars - Gotta have faith.
Titans - (This can probably go either way).

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(This post was last modified: 09-07-2020, 03:59 PM by Psychop1.)

Chiefs
I so wanna go with the upset pick here. Chiefs fat on their laurels possibly. But I find it difficult to put any faith into Bill O’Brien’s offense. What’s the passing game going to look like without Hopkins, but with Cooks? Does David Johnson have anything left? It could be a great offense, you never know. Right now, I definitely don’t know.

Colts
I’ll definitely be rooting for the Jags. They’re going to be everybody’s favorite underdog after this offseason’s fire sale.

Titans
I agree that this game could go either way.

And glad to see you’re back Bullseye. Hope you’re better. Missed your analysis, although KJ filled in admirably.

(09-07-2020, 04:06 PM)Psychop1 Wrote: And glad to see you’re back Bullseye. Hope you’re better. Missed your analysis, although KJ filled in admirably.

Filled in admirably?!?  He IMPROVED it!!!

Thanks guys (JIB and you) for the kind words.

chiefs
Jags ( I have faith )
tacks

Who was around years ago (A long time ago) when someone said ( I think it was FBT) don't use a capital letter in front of any team but ours.
LOVE THEM JAGUARS!

Chiefs
Jags
Tacks

Chefs - Last year's results say the Chefs will get this one, but don't be surprised if the tinhorns pull out a win. They have a knack for starting the season out strong and then wilting.
Jags - fingers crossed. I Want To Believe!
tacks - Mike Vrabel is growing into the job very well.

yes its great to have you back bullseyes. also your fill in did a great job in your absance last year. Theres nothing though like haveing the org. though no offensse intended to our fill in from last year.

snowwolf titans owner in madden.

note titans owner means im undeafted againest them. 

Chiefs over Texans
Colts over Jaguars
Titans over Broncos
We learned in the Sunday School who made the sun shine through.  I know who made the moonshine too, back where I come from.

I will start off going against the grain I guess.

Texans over Chiefs. Houston has to be tortured by that playoff loss. I think they have been motivated by making up for that loss and they explode on the Chiefs.

Jags over Colts. I have no good reason to make this pick. Until the Jags actually start losing games, I will remain optimistic.

Broncos over Titans. The Broncos appear to be heading up and I think the Titans take a step back towards the mean.

Chefs
Jags
Tacks

Good luck this season. i'm sure alot of your expectations are low after the offseason, but you never know. This season could be full of surprises, who plays well with no fans etc..
[Image: incredulous.gif]

Finally this time again, feels good to make some picks for once.

Chiefs
Jags
tacks

(This post was last modified: 09-09-2020, 09:22 AM by p_rushing.)

Chiefs

Jags, for 1 week I'll pick them

Titans .... edited at 9/9/2020 9:22AM

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

(This post was last modified: 09-08-2020, 08:58 PM by Bullseye.)

https://sports.yahoo.com/von-miller-suff...26753.html

Though I just threw up in my mouth just thinking this...it's a good thing I picked the tacks this week.

Good to see the return of football and this week in the AFC South.

I'll take the Chiefs, colts, and broncos.

I look forward to the verbal tongue bath the announcers will no doubt give to Watt, but I don't think the Texans are actually a good team, just the tallest midgets in the division.

Colts get a win because they get first crack at a Jaguars team that's heading for a top three pick.

Titans are this year's 2018 Jaguars.

(This post was last modified: 09-09-2020, 02:21 AM by HandsomeRob86.)

Chiefs, colts, and Titans. I think the tacks start slow, but Denver has too many injuries so I am going tacks.. I almost picked the Jags, but Rovers has torn us up for so long I just don’t see how we win. Chiefs feels like the easiest pick.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

Chiefs

Jags(I want to believe!)

Titans

The important thing here is that Bullseye is back.  His candor and insight were sorely missed and it's a gift to have him back continuing what he started.

These first few weeks of football will be interesting, and IMHO there are no "crazy" picks until we see some actual playing field product.  As Bullseye's picks this week are the safest choices, I will copy them.

Chiefs over Texans  (30-21)
Colts over Jags  (33-13)
Titans over Broncos  (27-24)
"We believe in victory!"   - Gus Bradley
"I don't want to believe.  I want to know."   - Carl Sagan