Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Will you accept the results of the election?

(10-12-2020, 10:27 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: I'm thinking Belize. Gonna need to see the writing is on the wall for the US, though.

My wife and I were considering retiring to Chile in roughly 15 years.  We would both be in our mid-60’s and our son would be in college by then.  Learning a new language would give us something to do, and enjoying the inverse hemispherical seasons might be cool to experience.

Of course, this would depend on the political climate there at the time as well as how happy we are with the results of our upcoming move.
"We believe in victory!"   - Gus Bradley
"I don't want to believe.  I want to know."   - Carl Sagan

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(10-12-2020, 11:28 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(10-12-2020, 11:20 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Let's pick the low hanging fruit of your post. You think only the billionaire class benefited from Trumps economic policy and deregulation?

Absolutely! He put an oil and energy lobbyist as Secretary of the Interior. You don't need to be a brain surgeon to figure out that he's using people like this to pull back the reigns on industrial regulations. Big companies are now saving millions and millions of dollars, because Trump is allowing them to pollute and poison the environment as much as they want, all in the name of profits.

Of course he's deregulating, that's one of the big reasons why Trump was voted into office, to deconstruct the overregulation of the American economy. When companies waste money conforming to unneeded or overly burdensome regulations the customers pay higher prices for services than they should which strangles economic activity.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(10-12-2020, 11:28 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(10-12-2020, 11:20 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Let's pick the low hanging fruit of your post. You think only the billionaire class benefited from Trumps economic policy and deregulation?

Absolutely! He put an oil and energy lobbyist as Secretary of the Interior. You don't need to be a brain surgeon to figure out that he's using people like this to pull back the reigns on industrial regulations. Big companies are now saving millions and millions of dollars, because Trump is allowing them to pollute and poison the environment as much as they want, all in the name of profits.

It was my understanding that we’re better off today than we were before the Paris Climate Agreement. Do you have proof he’s allowing them to pollute more now than before?

(This post was last modified: 10-13-2020, 11:02 AM by mikesez.)

(10-13-2020, 10:47 AM)JagNGeorgia Wrote:
(10-12-2020, 11:28 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Absolutely! He put an oil and energy lobbyist as Secretary of the Interior. You don't need to be a brain surgeon to figure out that he's using people like this to pull back the reigns on industrial regulations. Big companies are now saving millions and millions of dollars, because Trump is allowing them to pollute and poison the environment as much as they want, all in the name of profits.

It was my understanding that we’re better off today than we were before the Paris Climate Agreement. Do you have proof he’s allowing them to pollute more now than before?

They are certainly allowed to pollute more.
Obama was going to restrict coal power plants (Clean power plan), and that was cancelled under Trump.
Obama was also going to penalize extractors who allow natural gas to leak out, and that effort was also cancelled under Trump.
Coincidentally, total CO2 emissions are down in the US over the last few years.  Regardless of regulation, power companies are choosing to use less coal, more Nat gas, and more renewables.
It is good news, but none of that is Trump's doing.  
Better, more deliberate promotion or subsidy of renewable or nuclear energy would be even better.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(10-13-2020, 11:00 AM)mikesez Wrote:
(10-13-2020, 10:47 AM)JagNGeorgia Wrote: It was my understanding that we’re better off today than we were before the Paris Climate Agreement. Do you have proof he’s allowing them to pollute more now than before?

They are certainly allowed to pollute more.
Obama was going to restrict coal power plants (Clean power plan), and that was cancelled under Trump.
Obama was also going to penalize extractors who allow natural gas to leak out, and that effort was also cancelled under Trump.
Coincidentally, total CO2 emissions are down in the US over the last few years.  Regardless of regulation, power companies are choosing to use less coal, more Nat gas, and more renewables.
It is good news, but none of that is Trump's doing.  
Better, more deliberate promotion or subsidy of renewable or nuclear energy would be even better.

"Of course, your energy bills will necessarily skyrocket."

https://www.uschamber.com/above-the-fold...use-carbon
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(10-13-2020, 07:29 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(10-12-2020, 11:28 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Absolutely! He put an oil and energy lobbyist as Secretary of the Interior. You don't need to be a brain surgeon to figure out that he's using people like this to pull back the reigns on industrial regulations. Big companies are now saving millions and millions of dollars, because Trump is allowing them to pollute and poison the environment as much as they want, all in the name of profits.

Of course he's deregulating, that's one of the big reasons why Trump was voted into office, to deconstruct the overregulation of the American economy. When companies waste money conforming to unneeded or overly burdensome regulations the customers pay higher prices for services than they should which strangles economic activity.

Unneeded and overly burdensome? Really? Tell that to your grand kids when they all have cancer or don't what what certain animals are when they all go extinct or they have to wear ventilators outside, because the air quality is so poor from all the pollution. You tell them it was worth it, because you only had to pay $2.40 a gallon for gas. 

Trump isn't "draining the swamp". He's building a luxury hotel and golf course next to it and inviting all his "friends."

Dude, don't be obtuse. I know you are smarter than that. He hired an oil lobbyist as Secretary of the Interior. That statement right there, speaks for itself. It's like hiring a pedophile to run a daycare center. It's like trusting a weasel to guard a chicken coop. It's like trusting people to social distance at a Trump rally. All those statements, don't need an explanation.

I think it's good to be mistrusting of government, but that goes both ways, I don't feel like people criticize the left enough for the way they feed taxpayer money to corporations through government bloat. Both sides are padding pockets. The left does that with government programs, and the right does it through deregulation. Big corporations benefit either way, though they seem to be increasingly favoring the left as of late. Small businesses favor the right as of late. That should be an indicator of who is helping whom.

(10-13-2020, 12:04 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: I think it's good to be mistrusting of government, but that goes both ways, I don't feel like people criticize the left enough for the way they feed taxpayer money to corporations through government bloat. Both sides are padding pockets. The left does that with government programs, and the right does it through deregulation. Big corporations benefit either way, though they seem to be increasingly favoring the left as of late. Small businesses favor the right as of late. That should be an indicator of who is helping whom.

It's not always size so much as sector.
Businesses which have made their money off of mining or munitions or military hardware are going to be pro Republican regardless of if they are large or small.
Businesses that make their money off of entertaining young people or renewable energy are going to be more pro democrat, again regardless of if they are large or small.
And of course all of this is in flux.
Depending on how permanent Trump's stamp on the Republican Party is, they could become the party of tariffs, and the political alignment of businesses will split based on how much they depend on international trade.

(10-13-2020, 11:50 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(10-13-2020, 10:47 AM)JagNGeorgia Wrote: It was my understanding that we’re better off today than we were before the Paris Climate Agreement. Do you have proof he’s allowing them to pollute more now than before?

Dude, don't be obtuse. I know you are smarter than that. He hired an oil lobbyist as Secretary of the Interior. That statement right there, speaks for itself. It's like hiring a pedophile to run a daycare center. It's like trusting a weasel to guard a chicken coop. It's like trusting people to social distance at a Trump rally. All those statements, don't need an explanation.

This take brought a smile to my face.
"We believe in victory!"   - Gus Bradley
"I don't want to believe.  I want to know."   - Carl Sagan

(10-13-2020, 11:45 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(10-13-2020, 07:29 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Of course he's deregulating, that's one of the big reasons why Trump was voted into office, to deconstruct the overregulation of the American economy. When companies waste money conforming to unneeded or overly burdensome regulations the customers pay higher prices for services than they should which strangles economic activity.

Unneeded and overly burdensome? Really? Tell that to your grand kids when they all have cancer or don't what what certain animals are when they all go extinct or they have to wear ventilators outside, because the air quality is so poor from all the pollution. You tell them it was worth it, because you only had to pay $2.40 a gallon for gas. 

Trump isn't "draining the swamp". He's building a luxury hotel and golf course next to it and inviting all his "friends."

[Image: source.gif]

So looks like none of our resident Trumpers would accept the results.

What a surprise

What do you get from that post?

A fuzzy foreigner who wishes they were American.

I'm trying to imagine a scenario where I would ever post in another countries political forum. It's weird.

(11-05-2020, 11:05 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: A fuzzy foreigner who wishes they were American.

I'm trying to imagine a scenario where I would ever post in another countries political forum. It's weird.

Why would I want to be American. Apparently it can't even run a legitimate election according to you? I prefer democracy.

As unfortunate as it is, who is American President is quite important to the rest of the world. Where's that great American hospitality gone? Very disgruntled people hopefully Biden can bring you back.

(This post was last modified: 11-05-2020, 11:37 PM by mikesez.)

(11-05-2020, 11:05 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: A fuzzy foreigner who wishes they were American.

I comment on politics in other countries from time to time.
I don't follow any international sports though.  If not for the time difference I might be a chelsea fan (only because of pulisic). But I'm not.

To be fair this is also London's team (maybe full time in the future) so you can count that Mikey and feel free to comment on British politics. We aren't as defensive.

(11-05-2020, 11:53 PM)lastonealive Wrote: To be fair this is also London's team (maybe full time in the future) so you can count that Mikey and feel free to comment on British politics. We aren't as defensive.

Were you born a troll or did it take intense training?

(This post was last modified: 11-06-2020, 12:51 AM by NewJagsCity.)

Quote:Give us some diverse candidates. I remember watching a Democratic primary early on, when there was like 22 candidates. They were asked about completely banning semi automatic rifles and every last one of them said they would. That is not diversity. That is following the party line. Bring in someone who thinks differently on at least some issues. Whether Democrats choose to accept this or not, the reason Trump got elected was because he openly defied some of the Republican platform during his campaign. He stood out among the other candidates he was running against. Middle America likes people who "buck" the system. They don't want another "worker drone" who goes out there and does what they are told. It even happens in sports and entertainment as well. When I was young, I remember the character of "Stone Cold" Steve Austin being by far, the most popular wrestler on the planet. That character was walked the line between babyface and heel and he spoke his mind whether the fans liked it or not. Since then, other public figures have followed that formula and have been wildly successful. Like it or not, that's what Trump did and it got him elected, despite his obvious lack of morals and mental disorders. 

The Democrats continuously trot out the same candidates over and over again. They all tow the party line and agree on the same issues, no matter if there is two candidates in the primary or 22. They are all the same. There is no diversity at all. In each of those early primaries where there were so many candidates, they still all agreed on nearly every single thing. They may have told of different ways of dealing with the issue, but they still spouted the same old "shpeal." That is when I realized the Democrats were in trouble. They never learn from history. They need to start pushing more diverse thinkers if they wanna win elections. They need to start listening to the Independent and "on the fence" voters in middle America instead of solely relying on east and west coast liberals who were always gonna vote Democrat anyway. Bring out a candidate who openly opposes some of the opinions of the other people on the stage. Few people actually are completely liberal or completely conservative, but those are the ones with the loudest voices. They need to see through that and offer something different. Until that happens, we'll be stuck with the Trump's of the world.

Tulsi Gabbert was about the only Democrat who dared to break ranks on some of the issues.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

The biggest polluters and villains in the climate change discussion are China and India. No amount of flogging and self imposed guilt by the USA will change those facts. Democrats may end up screaming "it wasn't us!" as the waters engulf our coasts. Put some pressure on those countries. A Biden admin will never accomplish this because he's already bought and paid for with China money.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption