Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Minshew is the man.

(10-04-2020, 10:21 PM)NeptuneBeachBum Wrote:
(10-04-2020, 10:17 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: He's led the Jags to 27, 30, 13, and 25 points this season. I'll take that kind of production every game all year long.

That would rank you 21st in the League in scoring.  Pretty low bar.

Pretty strange year, last year it would be around 12th. Do you really think teams are going to be scoring 30+ a game by the end of the year? I don't.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(10-04-2020, 10:17 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(10-04-2020, 10:05 PM)PS9 Wrote: It’s amazing that if he had been a first rounder, he would be having a fantastic season on a bad team in most people’s eyes.

He's led the Jags to 27, 30, 13, and 25 points this season. I'll take that kind of production every game all year long.

I put this in another thread but I think overall his performance this year has been decent and some cases very good. Miami was really his only lackluster performance. In his other three performances (Heck, he had more passing TD's than Joe Burrow did today). He has done enough to win in three of the four games this season, but the defense largely let him down in two of them.

People judge him too harshly, IMO. And I think that a lot of that has to do with his draft placing and that some people just want someone like Trevor Lawrence no matter, what. Even though there are quite a few bad teams out there and the Jags may not even get him, even with the way the team (mainly the defense is playing).

(10-04-2020, 10:33 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(10-04-2020, 10:21 PM)NeptuneBeachBum Wrote: That would rank you 21st in the League in scoring.  Pretty low bar.

Pretty strange year, last year it would be around 12th. Do you really think teams are going to be scoring 30+ a game by the end of the year? I don't.

I hear you... I'm just saying stats only tell part of the story.  The bottom line is W's and L's.  Part of the reason for yards (and even points) is because we are playing from behind all the time with our D and teams start playing us loose.  We get a lot of garbage time yards and a few cheap scores.  Minshew is not the problem... I just have doubts about him being a long-term solution.  The only reason I enjoy the games right now is to figure out if he is a franchise QB.  The last 2 games I haven't thought so.  Hope he gets it rolling against a bad Texans D next weekend.
This is a results-oriented business.  There are no trophies or titles given for "moral victories" or for "winning the draft".  Our record with DC is 37-86.  6-10 is our 2nd best season in 8 years of Caldwell leadership.  These are the FACTS.

(10-04-2020, 10:05 PM)PS9 Wrote: It’s amazing that if he had been a first rounder, he would be having a fantastic season on a bad team in most people’s eyes.

Not true at all. I'm simply looking at his performance the last two weeks and it's obvious he is regressing.

(10-04-2020, 11:35 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:

Not true at all. I'm simply looking at his performance the last two weeks and it's obvious he is regressing.

Apparently not because he still made enough throws to win this game. He had less than 5 throws today he would want back. He’s in his 4th game in a new offense in his second year in the league with no offseason. 

I’ll tell you what will happen if people quit on him: he will go elsewhere and succeed. Because he is succeeding in Jacksonville but because he isn’t single handedly winning games, fans call him out. Your defense cannot consistently put the team in a hole, get no pressure, and make a rookie look like an all pro... 20+ points every week, 70+% completions this season, 8 TDs... I get that this team hasn’t had a franchise guy in quite some time but jeez.

Also, Linder’s absence has been extremely downplayed the past two weeks.

Minshew is 5th in passing yards and JRob is 7th in rushing yards. The defense is the issue

(10-04-2020, 10:36 PM)mal234 Wrote:
(10-04-2020, 10:17 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: He's led the Jags to 27, 30, 13, and 25 points this season. I'll take that kind of production every game all year long.

I put this in another thread but I think overall his performance this year has been decent and some cases very good. Miami was really his only lackluster performance. In his other three performances (Heck, he had more passing TD's than Joe Burrow did today). He has done enough to win in three of the four games this season, but the defense largely let him down in two of them.

People judge him too harshly, IMO. And I think that a lot of that has to do with his draft placing and that some people just want someone like Trevor Lawrence no matter, what. Even though there are quite a few bad teams out there and the Jags may not even get him, even with the way the team (mainly the defense is playing).

I think they do too. He played great in the first two games of the season and then had a shaky outing against Miami. He played better against Cincy but was having some accuracy issues which is fairly new for him. He still threw for 351 yards while hitting on 67.5% of his passes even in a "bad" game.  For the year his completion percentage is 72.1%. That's pretty good. 

He's playing better than Kyler Murray who people are assuming is one of the next great QBs.  

The league's defenses are tough on new QBs. Sometimes a guy makes a splash, defenses adjust and the measure of a QB is how he adjusts back. Minshew went through that a little bit last year but then adjusted and played better. Now the league's punching back again and we'll have to judge Minshew on how he deals with it.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(This post was last modified: 10-05-2020, 07:34 AM by mal234.)

(10-05-2020, 06:05 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Minshew is 5th in passing yards and JRob is 7th in rushing yards.  The defense is the issue

Yeah, I just saw the new updated list and that he's top five in passing stats. MVP contender Russell Wilson, and Josh Allen are #2 and #3 on this list. (Dak's #1.) And it looks like Gardner is currently tied for #6 for passing TDs. He's doing his share, but sometimes when the team has other glaring problems that isn't enough. Other QB's on teams are experiencing this as well. 

Take for example for the Cowboys. Dak is #1 in passing stats, had three straight games where he threw for over 400+Yards, and yesterday threw for 500 yards for four TDs. Yet that still wasn't enough and the Cowboys have the same record as the Jags. And that's with Mike McCarthy as a coach. 

Matt Ryan has had similar issues this year, where he and the Atlanta Falcons offense have done enough, but their defense is also bad. And they are winless. And it's a good chance they will be beat by the Packers tonight and go 0-4. The QB is very important and he can't do it all when his team is struggling in other very important areas. Even the veteran QB's can struggle with this, yet people are upset with a QB who is early in his second year, who's working hard.

(10-05-2020, 06:30 AM)hb1148 Wrote:
(10-04-2020, 10:36 PM)mal234 Wrote: I put this in another thread but I think overall his performance this year has been decent and some cases very good. Miami was really his only lackluster performance. In his other three performances (Heck, he had more passing TD's than Joe Burrow did today). He has done enough to win in three of the four games this season, but the defense largely let him down in two of them.

I think they do too. He played great in the first two games of the season and then had a shaky outing against Miami. He played better against Cincy but was having some accuracy issues which is fairly new for him. He still threw for 351 yards while hitting on 67.5% of his passes even in a "bad" game.  For the year his completion percentage is 72.1%. That's pretty good. 

He's playing better than Kyler Murray who people are assuming is one of the next great QBs.  

The league's defenses are tough on new QBs. Sometimes a guy makes a splash, defenses adjust and the measure of a QB is how he adjusts back. Minshew went through that a little bit last year but then adjusted and played better. Now the league's punching back again and we'll have to judge Minshew on how he deals with it.

Yeah, his Bengals performance was pretty decent, especially considering he still had some shaky moments. But he didn't give up and was trying to get the team back in the game until the end. I'll take that type of production from him, but he needs more support including from the defense. Who really haven't done anything outside of the first game this year. Though, I do want to give credit to Myles Jack and how he has been playing this year. He has been playing well and has been the bright spot on a poorly playing defense. 

He is playing better than a lot of the young QB's that were drafted in recent years. And I honestly believe in the first couple of weeks he was playing like a top 10 QB in this league. Maybe even closer to top 5 (once I really start to delve and breakdown other QB's performances those weeks). But some people are saying he's nothing more than backup, though he can't do everything on his own.

Hopefully he will continue to grow and adjust. I am interested in seeing what else Gruden comes up with, as they face the winless Texans this upcoming week.  I think that the Texans are favorited against the Jags. Gruden did have do things to have Gardner and the offense look better in this game against the Bengals. Though, of course I'm still concerned about the defense and how they probably won't be able to contain DeShaun Watson.

And hopefully Linder comes back sooner than later. He could make a nice difference as well for the offense.

(09-29-2020, 01:10 PM)mal234 Wrote: Bleacher Report made a list of the Top QB's under 25. Gardner is #4 on the list:

https://twitter.com/brgridiron/status/13...2760728584

Some people are complaining about this list, some think things like that Joe Burrow should be over Gardner. And some are complaining that Justin Herbert should be higher and that Kyler shouldn't be over Josh Allen. I think it's interesting.

I'd take Burrow over Minshew in a heartbeat.

(10-05-2020, 06:00 AM)PS9 Wrote:
(10-04-2020, 11:35 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Not true at all. I'm simply looking at his performance the last two weeks and it's obvious he is regressing.

Apparently not because he still made enough throws to win this game. He had less than 5 throws today he would want back. He’s in his 4th game in a new offense in his second year in the league with no offseason. 

I’ll tell you what will happen if people quit on him: he will go elsewhere and succeed. Because he is succeeding in Jacksonville but because he isn’t single handedly winning games, fans call him out. Your defense cannot consistently put the team in a hole, get no pressure, and make a rookie look like an all pro... 20+ points every week, 70+% completions this season, 8 TDs... I get that this team hasn’t had a franchise guy in quite some time but jeez.

Also, Linder’s absence has been extremely downplayed the past two weeks.

Obviously he did not because we lost.  That is the only stat that matters.  Is he the main problem?  No.  But he did not make enough throws to win, because we lost.
This is a results-oriented business.  There are no trophies or titles given for "moral victories" or for "winning the draft".  Our record with DC is 37-86.  6-10 is our 2nd best season in 8 years of Caldwell leadership.  These are the FACTS.

(10-05-2020, 09:03 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(09-29-2020, 01:10 PM)mal234 Wrote: Bleacher Report made a list of the Top QB's under 25. Gardner is #4 on the list:

Some people are complaining about this list, some think things like that Joe Burrow should be over Gardner. And some are complaining that Justin Herbert should be higher and that Kyler shouldn't be over Josh Allen. I think it's interesting.

Wait.... wouldn’t everyone?

(10-05-2020, 09:03 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:

That's a terrible list anyway. Kyler Murray #2 and ahead of Burrow? What a bogus list.

It's not looking good for Minshew's future. Still not on the wagon of folks ready to start Luton or thinking of #1 overall pick... but there is definitely something missing. The record right now is a team record, not a Minshew record. If the D could stop anyone ever, maybe we're seeing a different Minshew. Dude has played from behind in like all of his starts it seems. But he's definitely missing some throws. He's under throwing guys a few times. I don't see a lot of the "gittery in the pocket" stuff guys are talking about. But I am seeing an easy check down not being taken while holding the ball and taking a sack. I'm seeing a few off target throws. Some of that, I believe, can still be corrected. But too much more of what we've been getting and we'll really have no option but to be looking toward some of the possible elite talent looking to come out next year.