Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Minshew is the man.

Minshew got off to a great start in week one.

Still some unanswered questions to be answered as he was a bit sheltered by all of the dink and dunk playcalling to a degree.

Odd that we were told we'd see these types of plays from DeFillipo and they never really emerged and now they are looking quite effective under Gruden.
Gruden is to be commended for taking a rookie WR3 and UDFA rookie RB1 and a second year 6th rd QB - then getting that execution out of them yesterday.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I'm not ready to crown Minshew yet. It's still early, but he looked fantastic yesterday and I'm praying he keeps it up. The last thing I wanna do is have to use multiple draft picks to trade up and get Trevor Lawrence. I wanna use every single draft pick available to fill major needs and build depth on the O-Line. To do that, you need a lot of picks. Finding our franchise QB in Minshew would be a Godsend. Here's hoping he continues maturing and building on his game throughout the season. The only thing he needs to really work on is throwing the ball out of bounds instead of taking coverage sacks. He did great reading defenses, looking off defenders, scrambling out of trouble and throwing beautiful touch passes though. That's what makes successful NFL QB's.

I know the phrase has negative connotation, but he really served as a game manager yesterday - protect the ball, move the chains, spread it around to keep the D honest.

We keep doing that and the big plays will open up. Only criticism is that he needs to work on that internal clock - if you run through your reads and everyone is covered, it's ok to throw it away and reset. A few of the sacks were just coverage sacks, the only real successful pass rush play was the one where Houston beat Cam on a great swat.

Great start, and most importantly, I think the rest of the team is behind him. You couldn't say that about the last few QB we've started. It always seemed like players expected failure from the QB, it is so refreshing not to have that continuing.

One of the things that please me yesterday: coming away with TDs in the red zone, vice FGs. 2 of the 3 TDs were red zone scores, and they came in the air. That is GOOD.

“Motivation alone is not enough.  If you have an idiot and you motivate him,now you have a motivated idiot.” Jim Rohn

(09-14-2020, 11:00 AM)Mikey Wrote: I know the phrase has negative connotation, but he really served as a game manager yesterday - protect the ball, move the chains, spread it around to keep the D honest.

We keep doing that and the big plays will open up. Only criticism is that he needs to work on that internal clock - if you run through your reads and everyone is covered, it's ok to throw it away and reset. A few of the sacks were just coverage sacks, the only real successful pass rush play was the one where Houston beat Cam on a great swat.

Great start, and most importantly, I think the rest of the team is behind him. You couldn't say that about the last few QB we've started. It always seemed like players expected failure from the QB, it is so refreshing not to have that continuing.

I don't think that's a negative. He had a little bit of a Garrard look to him yesterday. Scrambled when he needed to, accurate passes, took care of the ball. Like vintage Garrard but Minshew has more upside in the long run.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(09-14-2020, 12:49 AM)MojoKing Wrote: Elway, Manning, Marino, Luck

^ best case scenario for TL

They only have 3 SB wins combined, so these 2nd coming of Christ QBs that we fall in love with are not the end all be all

Minshew with our 2017 D = SB easily.

Well....lemme see here: Elway won TWO Super Bowls....and Manning won TWO Super Bowls.....

Now, I'm not the best at the maths, but that appears to be FOUR, not three. The Manning/Denver one credit goes to the defense, but he still gets credit as a two time SB champion.

“Motivation alone is not enough.  If you have an idiot and you motivate him,now you have a motivated idiot.” Jim Rohn

Wasn't he statistically one of, if not, the best deep ball passer last year? I know he had a ton of those backyard plays for big gains and TDs last year. But the question going into this year was could he do well on the timely scripted intermediate to short passes. And he was great at it in this game. And did great throwing on the run which also wasnt a strong suit last year if I remember right.

Combine the performance against the Colts with a few big play deep balls then we'll be a pretty deadly offense.

We actually saw a slant yesterday, I had forgot that play existed for us. Seeing wide receivers running open was great as well. I don't care about rocket arms or the best legs in the league. I really hope that Minshew will keep developing and keep developing timing and football acumen. Drew Brees doesn't have the best arm but he sure knows what to do with the ball. This can work and thankfully it could be fun to watch. Hooray for entertainment.

Nothing against the previous iterations of this team but you can see enough of a difference today to move to hope.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

(09-14-2020, 11:32 AM)MoJagFan Wrote: We actually saw a slant yesterday, I had forgot that play existed for us.  Seeing wide receivers running open was great as well.  I don't care about rocket arms or the best legs in the league.  I really hope that Minshew will keep developing and keep developing timing and football acumen.  Drew Brees doesn't have the best arm but he sure knows what to do with the ball.  This can work and thankfully it could be fun to watch.  Hooray for entertainment.

Nothing against the previous iterations of this team but you can see enough of a difference today to move to hope.

Well timed slants, crossing routes with the ball leading the receiver, safety look-offs...

Far cry from the Bortles era.

Minshew also has the TWO best completion percentage games on kick off weekend in NFL HISTORY with his showings last year and yesterday. That, is NOT bad. KC and INDY doesn't have slouch defenses either. The game isn't too big for him. That's what always gets me when people say he's too 'small' to be a franchise QB. He's literally the SAME SIZE as Baker Mayfield who was taken number ONE by the Browns.

14 13 310 486 63.8 3,725 7.7 27 14 93.7 39 131 3.4 0 7 3
14 12 285 470 60.6 3,271 6.9 21 6 91.2 67 344 5.1 0 13 7
16 16 317 534 59.4 3,827 7.2 22 21 78.8 28 141 5.0 3 6 2

Top numbers are Mayfield's Rookie numbers chucking it to Jarvis Landry and David Njouku. Middle is Minshew's rookie season with Chark. Bottom is Mayfield's sophmore campaign where he had Landry and OBJ. Granted, he's never had continuity at coach but I just don't think hes THAT good a QB.
I'll temper my expectations on Shew, but the kid is SUPER Smart, SUPER humble, and DEDICATED to the team and winning. He also just has IT.

(09-14-2020, 11:37 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(09-14-2020, 11:32 AM)MoJagFan Wrote: We actually saw a slant yesterday, I had forgot that play existed for us.  Seeing wide receivers running open was great as well.  I don't care about rocket arms or the best legs in the league.  I really hope that Minshew will keep developing and keep developing timing and football acumen.  Drew Brees doesn't have the best arm but he sure knows what to do with the ball.  This can work and thankfully it could be fun to watch.  Hooray for entertainment.

Well timed slants, crossing routes with the ball leading the receiver, safety look-offs...

Yeah Garrard was the last guy we had who could hit those reliably.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(09-14-2020, 11:58 AM)mikesez Wrote:
(09-14-2020, 11:37 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Well timed slants, crossing routes with the ball leading the receiver, safety look-offs...

Yeah Garrard was the last guy we had who could hit those reliably.

Also good to have a QB that wont schtoink the ball into the ground 6 ft in FRONT or BEHIND a receiver. To see him hit a receiver in stride is a revelation. That one to Laviska was MONEY. Compared to where Josh Allen overthrew a wide open dude in the endzone by oh, 10 feet or so.....

(09-13-2020, 04:44 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: Trevor Lawerence will be a distant memory in a few weeks.

Wow, when you change your mind, you do a full 180 degrees.
If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

Besides ..... "He can throw that ball over them mountains!"
"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson

[Image: jxyqkzeon3n51.jpg?width=960&crop=smart&a...dd65f3b30e]

(09-14-2020, 12:36 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [Image: jxyqkzeon3n51.jpg?width=960&crop=smart&a...dd65f3b30e]

Hahahahahaha oh my god thats the best meme ever!

Found the last comment mildly amusing:

"Everyone expects the Jaguars to end up with Trevor Lawrence or a new quarterback in 2021, but Minshew has a clear path over the rest of the year to convince Jacksonville otherwise. Its new offense under Jay Gruden on Sunday was fun, mixing in some run-pass options to create easy decisions for the quarterback while getting the ball to guys such as Shenault and James Robinson with the opportunity to run after the catch. I don't think Minshew is going to go 19-for-20 every week, but the Jags don't look like anybody told them they were supposed to be tanking."
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(09-14-2020, 09:08 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Minshew got off to a great start in week one.

Still some unanswered questions to be answered as he was a bit sheltered by all of the dink and dunk playcalling to a degree.

Odd that we were told we'd see these types of plays from DeFillipo and they never really emerged and now they are looking quite effective under Gruden.
Gruden is to be commended for taking a rookie WR3 and UDFA rookie RB1 and a second year 6th rd QB - then getting that execution out of them yesterday.

I don't think of 8.65 YPA as dinking and dunking.

That's just efficient as heck.

I'd say there's more unanswered questions about most of the 1st round picks from the last two or three years than there are about him personally. I'm just happy we have a 6th rounder that can put up 19/20 for 3 TDs and 0 picks. 0 fumbles in 4 sacks is also impressive.

(09-14-2020, 12:19 PM)rollerjag Wrote:
(09-13-2020, 04:44 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: Trevor Lawerence will be a distant memory in a few weeks.

Wow, when you change your mind, you do a full 180 degrees.

I never doubted Minshew.  I doubted the talent around him.  I also never wanted Lawerence.  I get flashbacks of Gabbert.
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

(This post was last modified: 09-14-2020, 02:30 PM by JagsFansince1995.)

(09-13-2020, 11:44 PM)airjoeo Wrote: i love minshew but he is not the solution at QB long time... if we screw up this year and actually win alot, I will be disgusted to lose a chance of drafting Trevor Lawrence.  

This is the best season to tank and I hope Jaguars realize this.
The jags have always won enough to not get the number one pick unless said player falls through passes by other teams. Weve known this curse of mediocrity, and argue amongst ourselves, about how many other teams who picked after us were getting better before us. This is nothing new, just hoping GM is actually the real deal and not david garrard esque and only a local hero when done with no rings, division or afc ships.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Season Tix, Section 409

2023 and still counting.....SB will finally be ours soon enough.
TLaw aka 'the prince that was promised' supporter.