Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Impressions From the Titans Game

Few things irritate me more than someone calling me during game time.  Most of my family knows better, but I got a call from a cousin in the middle of the first quarter.  Really didn't have anything to talk about.  It was all I could do from launching into an expletive laden tirade.  Please people...if you have a football fan in your life, don't call them during the game.  Anyway...my thoughts on the tack game...

1.  I thought Gardner Minshew had a decent game overall, but he started off high with his passes.  One of Minshew's high passes resulted in an INT.  I think Minnshew also cost us a score by trying to outrun a tack defender to get outside and taking a 20 yard sack instead of throwing the ball away.  The passing game as a whole was off, early  There were at least a couple of plays with receivers in the same area.  But Minshew warmed up and kept us in the game.  Ironically, it was a low pass late that killed our chances to win the game as his very low pass was batted at the LOS and picked off by Landry.

2.  I was pleasantly surprised by the job the Jaguars defense did against Derrick Henry.  Big runs were minimized and for once, we didn't look like "Little Giants" trying to tackle that guy.  The outside runs didn't kill us like they normally seem to do with Henry. I think Abry Jones played one of his best games as a Jaguar since he first got here. That said, our pass defense was a disaster, especially early on.  How open could Jonnu Smith possibly be on that first play?!?  The only way he could have been more open is in pre-pre game warmups.

3.  Continuing on that theme, mistakes killed this team.  Aside from the INTs referenced above, the blown coverage on Smith reference above flipped the field early, leading to the Titans first TD.  Lambo has been great for us, but he cost us four points, by not executing the squib kick properly, giving the tacks great field position right before half, and then by missing the extra point.  Teven Bryan grated on my nerves with an off sides penalty when he was lined up on the nose of the ball and still jumped.  That penalty got the tacks out of long yardage and into a more favorable down and distance.

4.  I understand why they couldn't play him at will early in his career, but I think the last two weeks have shown Myles Jack has found his home on the weak side.  Today, he was all over the field again, though the PI against him was kinda iffy.  I've seen more blatant PI NOT called.  But as far as I am concerned, Jack needs to stay at Will for the rest of his career.

5.  Many on this board, including me, have identified the offensive line as a liability on this team.  But generally speaking, I thought the OL played their best game against Tennessee in quite some time.  Generally, they did a good job protecting Minshew.  That 20 yard sack Minshew took was on him.  He had ample time to get rid of the ball.  There was another sack or so, but that was by a late blitz by a safety.  They also opened up holes for Robinson.  For the first time, I saw the promise in Jawaan Taylor that everyone else claimed to see last year.  I'm not sure what happened on that play where Clowney cmae in completely unblocked, but I took encouragement by the OL's performance in this game.

6.  Another fine game by Chark.

7.  Rookie Watch:

I.  C.J. Henderson-I thought he had another good game today.  Not in terms of pass break ups or INTs.  But he was involved in at least three solo tackles onDerrick Henry on outside runs, stopping them from being long and disastrous runs.

II.  K'Lavon Chaisson-Showed explosiveness in notching his first sack.  As I recall, he beat the LG and made him look foolish in bringing down Tennehill.  Good job.

III.  LaViska Shenaul-Had another good showing.  In fact, it was better than last week even though he didn't score a TD this week.  He showed his athleticism and versatility on snagging a high pass for a first down, a low pass for a first down, and had about 2-3 other catches.  He also had some good runs, one on a jet sweep, and a tough run inside that would have made many RBs proud by running into the hole and lowering his shoulder.  Lofton, never one to heap a lot of praise on Jaguars players, actually had some good things to say about Shenault.  If he stays healthy and continues to develop, he will be a good weapon for this team.

IV.  Devon Hamilton-I know he played.  I saw him in there, but I didn't notice him on any play.  Considering how show going it was for Derrick Henry, without reviewing, I will assume he played SOME tole in slowing him down, but to what degree I don't know.

V.  Josiah Scott-DNP.  Was ruiled inactive.

VI.  Ben Bartch-Did not see him play.

VII.  Collin Johnson-Had two throws come his way by my count, with no catches.  The first was high and it resulted in an INT.  The other one were in the red zone and was batted away in a good defensive play.  Had CJ come down with it, it would have been lauded as a good catch.  I am encouraged by how Gruden is using him, as well as Minshew's seeming confidence in all of his receivers.

VIII.  Shaquille Quarterman-I think I may have left him off last week.  My apologies if I omitted him.  I did not see notice him today.

IX.  Daniel Thomas-Did not notice him today

X.  Tyler Davis-Inactive and DNP due to knee injury

XI-  Jake Luton-DNP

XII.  Chris Claybrooks-Had difficulty handling a kickoff and a punt.  The kickoff muff resulted in Jaguars ball at their own 11, and was inchaes away from being recovered by the tacks.  We can't have mistakes like that.

XIII.  James Robinson-Had his first 100 yard game as a Jaguar, including a 46 (?) yard and a TD, his first.  What made me particularly proud of him was a blitz pickup he had in te second half.

8.  Once again, Josh Allen had a couple of nice pressures, but no sacks.  Hopefully he will find his mojo against Miami this Thursday.

9.  Though Shatley did well his time in, I really hope Linder is not seriously injured and will return soon.

10.  Bottom line:  It's a loss to the tacks, so it always sucks, but unlike most losses to the tacks, it wasn't the morale sucking and pride swallowing siege mosst losses to them seem to be.  For once, they didn't run the ball down our throats.  They didn't produce the disastrous pick 6.  They didn't abuse our QB and shut down our running game.  We had a legit chance to win, and in fact it was a winnable game.  Still it's a loss to the tacks...so it sucks a little extra on general principle.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

On 1, Minshew's first Int wasn't a high pass. It was intended for the TE but Johnson misread and jumped at it, resulting in the tip.

(09-20-2020, 05:19 PM)JaguarKick Wrote: On 1, Minshew's first Int wasn't a high pass.  It was intended for the TE but Johnson misread and jumped at it, resulting in the tip.

Yep. Was intended for James O. But I put that on play calling. Couple times they had 2 receivers in the same area which can cause those sort of issues.

Minshew was off a bit early though even throwing into double or triple coverage a couple times. Receivers made some good plays a couple times to bail him out, including Eifert playing defense once.

This game came down to a couple bad calls by coaches (squib, not telling Minshew to spike) and just a few missed opportunities (including a few questionable calls by refs)

(This post was last modified: 09-20-2020, 05:34 PM by Newton.)

(09-20-2020, 05:31 PM)Kane Wrote:
(09-20-2020, 05:19 PM)JaguarKick Wrote: On 1, Minshew's first Int wasn't a high pass.  It was intended for the TE but Johnson misread and jumped at it, resulting in the tip.

Yep. Was intended for James O. But I put that on play calling. Couple times they had 2 receivers in the same area which can cause those sort of issues.

Minshew was off a bit early though even throwing into double or triple coverage a couple times. Receivers made some good plays a couple times to bail him out, including Eifert playing defense once.

This game came down to a couple bad calls by coaches (squib, not telling Minshew to spike) and just a few missed opportunities (including a few questionable calls by refs)

This is the kind of thing that happens to young teams. that PI call on Jack was such a killer, but lots of other factors lead to the loss as well. None the less, I have never felt more optimistic about the long-term future of this team at this point in the season in the past 20 years or so.

Nice summary bullseye and I promise I won't call you during game time. Lol surprised that cousin didn't hear the tone in ya voice. Overall it's a loss and it sux, but the team was scrappy and fought hard today. That is a big positive.

We should be in every game this year. Your as good as your QB is.

Minshew had a rough play or two early but thought be played great the rest of the way ( minus the sack). Both picks were unfortunate, not really bad decisions just bad luck.

It’s a blow out without him, I hardly call 3 tds and 330 yards decent. Especially with the 67% completion percentage. Special teams failed him.

(09-20-2020, 05:31 PM)Kane Wrote:

I doubt the play design calls for them to be that close, more likely the rook got too much depth on his route imo.

Great as always Bullseye.

On point 1- I think we saw the influence Minshew has in this locker room second half. The kid just makes plays. He is making mistakes here and there but they often come as hes trying to make a play when theres nothing there. Its definitly something he can work on but he will also make plays happen with that attitude and mentality. As long as the QB shows he can win us a game, I don't mind riding or dying on them.

And 3- Mistakes, mistakes, mistakes. For years and all over. Penalties, blown coverage, losing duels, we do it all. We have a young team so I understand but I just want us to make teams beat us. Make them earn those yards. The refs arent helping but we make things harder for ourselves way too much.

(09-20-2020, 05:47 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote:
(09-20-2020, 05:31 PM)Kane Wrote: Yep. Was intended for James O. But I put that on play calling. Couple times they had 2 receivers in the same area which can cause those sort of issues.

I doubt the play design calls for them to be that close, more likely the rook got too much depth on his route imo.

Perhaps. I just know the announcer called them out on "area" plays a couple times. Having multiple guys n the same area where the throw is going

They need to figure out how to get started faster. 

Feels like we might have a fun season on our hands, mixed with some frustration.

(09-20-2020, 05:48 PM)JagFan81 Wrote: Great as always Bullseye.

On point 1- I think we saw the influence Minshew has in this locker room second half. The kid just makes plays. He is making mistakes here and there but they often come as hes trying to make a play when theres nothing there. Its definitly something he can work on but he will also make plays happen with that attitude and mentality. As long as the QB shows he can win us a game, I don't mind riding or dying on them.

And 3- Mistakes, mistakes, mistakes. For years and all over. Penalties, blown coverage, losing duels, we do it all. We have a young team so I understand but I just want us to make teams beat us. Make them earn those yards. The refs arent helping but we make things harder for ourselves way too much.

I still don't know if Minshew is the franchise QB we need.

I DO know he is a vast upgrade over what we've had at the position in quite some time.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(09-20-2020, 06:00 PM)Bullseye Wrote:

I DO know he is a vast upgrade over what we've had at the position in quite some time.

I get where your coming from. As great and fun as he is, are those mistakes going to happen in January?

When I look at him, I see those 'scout' red flags like arm strength and height but hes one of those guys that makes things happen. I look at Mayfield, Wentz, Rosen etc, these 'cant miss' prospects and they seem to struggle much more on better teams. It will be interesting to see him progress over the year with the ups and downs but I would fix a lot of other areas before Minshew at the moment.

Excellent as always Bullseye. I would also add that 3 weeks ago none of us thought this team stood much of a chance. The past two weeks have been awesome, win or lose the team fights and battles to the end. Something not seen far too often in the recent past.
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

(09-20-2020, 06:00 PM)Bullseye Wrote:

Realistically, what else are you needing to see?

Takeaways:

1. Stop questioning if we have a franchise guy.

2. We have no secondary and opponent QB's will continue to feast. CJ Henderson is good, just everyone else really struggling.

3. Don't blame the refs, look at Marrone for this loss. That squib kick was atrocious, and it warrants firing after yet AGAIN another game LOSS on MARRONE! PLease for the love of god fire this idiot!

(09-20-2020, 06:08 PM)NoShoes Wrote:
(09-20-2020, 06:00 PM)Bullseye Wrote: I still don't know if Minshew is the franchise QB we need.

Realistically, what else are you needing to see?

No "mistakes", lol.  Rolleyes
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

I put 90% of the blame on the end of half kickoff on whoever made the decision to squib kick it . Too cute. Just kick the ball deep and out of the end zone.

(09-20-2020, 06:16 PM)newporttom Wrote: I put 90% of the blame on the end of half kickoff on whoever made the decision to squib kick it  . Too cute.  Just kick the ball deep and out of the end zone.

It falls squarely on Lambo. I've never even seen that happen before, it should be fairly routine. 

But I bet they rethink squibbing in those situations going forward.

(09-20-2020, 06:16 PM)newporttom Wrote: I put 90% of the blame on the end of half kickoff on whoever made the decision to squib kick it  . Too cute.  Just kick the ball deep and out of the end zone.

This. This isn’t Lambo’s fault. It’s less than a minute to the half. Blast out the back of the end zone and have them take a knee. ESPECIALLY when you lose by 3. This loss falls SQUARELY on whoever called to squib it.

“Motivation alone is not enough.  If you have an idiot and you motivate him,now you have a motivated idiot.” Jim Rohn