Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Impressions From the Titans Game

(This post was last modified: 09-20-2020, 11:50 PM by americus 2.0.)

This was the impression of one of the writers on NFL.com. Not too shabby.

"This Jaguars (1-1) team is feisty. Despite being one of the youngest rosters in the NFL, the Jags played with a disposition that resembles a confident football team. Gardner Minshew was decisive with the football, ending the day with 339 yards and three touchdowns while spreading the ball around to eight receivers. Though his two INTs proved costly in the end, Minshew commanded the offense and made some gutsy throws that kept Jacksonville in the game. Undrafted rookie running back James Robinson had another good day with 102 yards on 16 carries and one touchdown. Defensively, the Jaguars were up to the challenge of stopping Derrick Henry, holding the NFL"s reigning rushing champion to just 84 yards on 25 carries. In defeat, their effort shouldn't go unnoticed."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(09-20-2020, 06:16 PM)newporttom Wrote: I put 90% of the blame on the end of half kickoff on whoever made the decision to squib kick it  . Too cute.  Just kick the ball deep and out of the end zone.

You do realize that Lambo royally screwed up that kick, don't you!?!?  That kick was NOT what the coaches wanted.  I'm personally not fan of the squib kick and would have kicked deep myself, but there are many good coaches who would have made the squib kick call in that situation.  At least 90% of the blame for that play is on Lambo.  You can tell by his reaction that Lambo knows it too.

Yes. I realize that Lambo failed to execute on a totally needless, ill-advised squib kick.

(09-20-2020, 05:31 PM)Kane Wrote:
(09-20-2020, 05:19 PM)JaguarKick Wrote: On 1, Minshew's first Int wasn't a high pass.  It was intended for the TE but Johnson misread and jumped at it, resulting in the tip.

Yep. Was intended for James O. But I put that on play calling. Couple times they had 2 receivers in the same area which can cause those sort of issues.

Minshew was off a bit early though even throwing into double or triple coverage a couple times. Receivers made some good plays a couple times to bail him out, including Eifert playing defense once.

This game came down to a couple bad calls by coaches (squib, not telling Minshew to spike) and just a few missed opportunities (including a few questionable calls by refs)

Two receivers in the same area isn't the fault of play calling.  That's someone running the wrong route.  There are no plays that are designed to have two receivers that close together.

(09-20-2020, 06:08 PM)JagFan81 Wrote:
(09-20-2020, 06:00 PM)Bullseye Wrote: I still don't know if Minshew is the franchise QB we need.

I DO know he is a vast upgrade over what we've had at the position in quite some time.

I get where your coming from. As great and fun as he is, are those mistakes going to happen in January?

When I look at him, I see those 'scout' red flags like arm strength and height but hes one of those guys that makes things happen. I look at Mayfield, Wentz, Rosen etc, these 'cant miss' prospects and they seem to struggle much more on better teams. It will be interesting to see him progress over the year with the ups and downs but I would fix a lot of other areas before Minshew at the moment.

He doesn't have elite arm strength or height, but since he seems to have everything else, I agree with you.  I wouldn't waste resources trying to improve that position.  I think he's more than good enough.  Besides, when you compare him to all the quarterbacks drafted in the first round, the odds of finding a better QB are very slim.  We could spend a dozen first round picks on quarterbacks before we found a better one.  Where is Marcus Mariota?  Where is Jameis Winston?  How is Baker Mayfield doing?  People seem to think, oh, we'll just use a first round pick and he'll be a franchise hall-of-fame level QB.  The odds are very slim.

(09-21-2020, 06:29 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(09-20-2020, 05:31 PM)Kane Wrote: Yep. Was intended for James O. But I put that on play calling. Couple times they had 2 receivers in the same area which can cause those sort of issues.

Minshew was off a bit early though even throwing into double or triple coverage a couple times. Receivers made some good plays a couple times to bail him out, including Eifert playing defense once.

This game came down to a couple bad calls by coaches (squib, not telling Minshew to spike) and just a few missed opportunities (including a few questionable calls by refs)

Two receivers in the same area isn't the fault of play calling.  That's someone running the wrong route.  There are no plays that are designed to have two receivers that close together.

Well...there IS the Hail mary...but generally speaking you are correct.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We're the youngest team in the NFL finding a footing after locker room shakeups with a team history of fail. They're allowed mistakes and it isn't far-fetched or overly optimistic to believe they won't make these same mistakes again and will grow from them. It's obvious this is a tight knit team with a lot of brass.

Despite yesterday's loss, the Jaguars are in a good place that's getting better. That game gave me more optimism about this team than I've experienced in a long time, including 2017 which I felt was as much fortune as talent.

It seems to me, as far as the defense is concerned, that we’re back to the “ chicken and the egg “ argument. With little pressure on the QB, just about any NFL starting QB will find his targets effectively. Some people will criticize the secondary for “soft” coverage. When pressure and sacks improve, suddenly the secondary looks like superstars. In this case, my observation is that the QB has too much time to throw. That said, it doesn’t necessarily follow that our secondary is good, but I think we won’t find out until we increase the pressure on the QB. We focused too much on stopping Henry. Just my opinion.

Thanks again, Bullseye. Great write up.

Claybrooks was making me nervous on every return. I guess we see why he's a DB, as the saying goes. Kid's gotta shake those jitters, or he'll be watching someone else field kicks in his place.

I have no idea what constitutes PI vs. Illegal contact. One play was darn near perfect pass D, LB swats the ball and we get flagged for PI. A ball sails ten yards over the head of a receiver, and yes, our DB had hands on him, but like farts that's catchable. Let the guys play ball, refs!

I haven't enjoyed watching Jag games this much since MJD was in his prime. The games are hard-fought, win or lose, and everyone is doing their part. Minshew again was spreading the ball around, taking what the defense was leaving him. Chains moving, giving the D time to rest. This offense is fun, and it seems perfectly suited to the guys on the roster. When was the last time we said THAT?

Big props to Tyler Shatley, when Linder went down, the pessimist in me was ready to pack it up and head home, figuratively speaking. Shatley began his day lined up opposite Clowney, and proved up to the challenge. I haven't heard on the prospect of Linder's return for Thursday, but I'm not nearly as hesitant about our outlook as I was initially.

Austen Lane on the bad decision to squib kick.

https://twitter.com/A_Train_92/status/13...2410420230

That's twice in my mind that a strange call by Marrone cost us the game. Last years decision to go for 2 was the other.

(09-21-2020, 08:51 AM)Section105Fan Wrote: It seems to me, as far as the defense is concerned, that we’re back to the “ chicken and the egg “ argument. With little pressure on the QB, just about any NFL starting QB will find his targets effectively. Some people will criticize the secondary for “soft” coverage. When pressure and sacks improve, suddenly the secondary looks like superstars. In this case, my observation is that the QB has too much time to throw. That said, it doesn’t necessarily follow that our secondary is good, but I think we won’t find out until we increase the pressure on the QB. We focused too much on stopping Henry. Just my opinion.

I like your chicken and egg analogy, but it could also be a little chicken and a little egg.  More pressure on the QB makes the DBs look better, but in the same vein, better coverage on the back end would give the pass rush more time to get there.   I'm just saying, it doesn't have to be one or the other.   A little of one and a little of the other can work very well.

(09-21-2020, 08:51 AM)Section105Fan Wrote: It seems to me, as far as the defense is concerned, that we’re back to the “ chicken and the egg “ argument. With little pressure on the QB, just about any NFL starting QB will find his targets effectively. Some people will criticize the secondary for “soft” coverage. When pressure and sacks improve, suddenly the secondary looks like superstars. In this case, my observation is that the QB has too much time to throw. That said, it doesn’t necessarily follow that our secondary is good, but I think we won’t find out until we increase the pressure on the QB. We focused too much on stopping Henry. Just my opinion.

Had we not focused on stopping Henry this would have been a very different game. We held him to 85 yards and he was not allowed to abuse us like he's done in the past. With the tacks we have to pick our battles or they will run us down and beat us like the red headed stepchild we seem to be in the NFL. There is a reason we haven't won there since 2013 (I'm in favor of homebiscuit's theory of mind control) but they didn't roto root us this time, and that IMHO is due to holding Henry in check and our offense being on fire coming out of halftime. And, Henry didn't wear down our defense like the game announcers kept promising he would. He was getting more yards in the 4th Q but everyone was getting tired.

I don't feel like they beat us yesterday but that we beat ourselves with some bad calls and shady refs.

(09-21-2020, 12:05 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote:

Had we not focused on stopping Henry this would have been a very different game. We held him to 85 yards and he was not allowed to abuse us like he's done in the past. With the tacks we have to pick our battles or they will run us down and beat us like the red headed stepchild we seem to be in the NFL. There is a reason we haven't won there since 2013 (I'm in favor of homebiscuit's theory of mind control) but they didn't roto root us this time, and that IMHO is due to holding Henry in check and our offense being on fire coming out of halftime. And, Henry didn't wear down our defense like the game announcers kept promising he would. He was getting more yards in the 4th Q but everyone was getting tired.

I don't feel like they beat us yesterday but that we beat ourselves with some bad calls and shady refs.

There were a ton of plays where Henry was caught in the backfield, too.  At first glance our run D has been much better.

(09-21-2020, 12:55 PM)JaguarKick Wrote:
(09-21-2020, 12:05 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: Had we not focused on stopping Henry this would have been a very different game. We held him to 85 yards and he was not allowed to abuse us like he's done in the past. With the tacks we have to pick our battles or they will run us down and beat us like the red headed stepchild we seem to be in the NFL. There is a reason we haven't won there since 2013 (I'm in favor of homebiscuit's theory of mind control) but they didn't roto root us this time, and that IMHO is due to holding Henry in check and our offense being on fire coming out of halftime. And, Henry didn't wear down our defense like the game announcers kept promising he would. He was getting more yards in the 4th Q but everyone was getting tired.

There were a ton of plays where Henry was caught in the backfield, too.  At first glance our run D has been much better.

Yes, he was, but he never broke free like a freight train like he usually does.

(09-21-2020, 06:36 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(09-20-2020, 06:08 PM)JagFan81 Wrote: I get where your coming from. As great and fun as he is, are those mistakes going to happen in January?

When I look at him, I see those 'scout' red flags like arm strength and height but hes one of those guys that makes things happen. I look at Mayfield, Wentz, Rosen etc, these 'cant miss' prospects and they seem to struggle much more on better teams. It will be interesting to see him progress over the year with the ups and downs but I would fix a lot of other areas before Minshew at the moment.

He doesn't have elite arm strength or height, but since he seems to have everything else, I agree with you.  I wouldn't waste resources trying to improve that position.  I think he's more than good enough.  Besides, when you compare him to all the quarterbacks drafted in the first round, the odds of finding a better QB are very slim.  We could spend a dozen first round picks on quarterbacks before we found a better one.  Where is Marcus Mariota?  Where is Jameis Winston?  How is Baker Mayfield doing?  People seem to think, oh, we'll just use a first round pick and he'll be a franchise hall-of-fame level QB.  The odds are very slim.

Marty, your comment should be pinned. Your absolutely right. Mayfield, Winston, Mariotta, they are all getting outplayed by Minshew. 

I will be glad when this city fully accepts Minshew as our franchise player. He’s the face of this team and an up and coming super star. He just hit 8 different receivers with 339 yards and 3 TDs.

I remember Bortles would have 56 yards passing at halftime down 28-0. Then finish the game with 330 yards and 3 TDs. Those days are long gone. Minshew is a gamer. He’s doing more with less. 

Wilson, Brunell, Brees, and many other QBs were the same size as Minshew. I remember people saying Watson couldn’t throw a fast ball during the combine. Arm strength matters but Minshew has every ingredient to be a good QB for a long time. 

In a draft do-over he’s easily a 1st round pick. He’s also going to break the bank come contract time. 

Somebody else can deal with Trevor Lawrence as a rookie. Joe Burrow and all the other rookie QBs have to go through that rookie year struggle. At this point Minshew is a seasoned vet. He makes plays and loves football and it’s infectious. 

He wears cut off jean shorts. Dude was built for Jacksonville.