Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Anybody Still Doubting Caldwell?

(09-21-2020, 11:19 AM)JagFanFirst Wrote:
(09-21-2020, 11:14 AM)jaglou53 Wrote: Caldwell has made some good decisions in his tenure with the Jaguars. Drafting Chark was one of the best. Signing Calais Campbell, A.J. Bouye and Poz as free agents were also good moves.On the other hand, he drafted Bortles, Taven Bryan and Fournette. I give him no credit for Minshew and James Robinson. If he liked them so much, he would have taken Minshew earlier and spent a draft pick on Robinson. The Josh Allen and Ramsey picks were no-brainers who would have been picked by every other G.M. in the NFL. The jury is still out on this draft class, although they have great potential.

My point is that Caldwell is a middle of the road general manager who has had his share of hits and misses. Most general managers can say the same, except for guys like Matt Millen and a few others. The problem with Caldwell is that his mistakes have been so bad! Drafting Bortles and extending him were horrible mistakes. He was a good guy who tried hard, but never should have been drafted that high. I'll give Caldwell a pass on hiring Gus Bradley, but how could any general manager worth anything give Gus an extension after having the 2nd worst record in coaching history.

Shad Kahn should have kept his word from two years ago. He strongly implied that Caldwell would be gone if the team didn't significantly improve during this time. Unless they win at least 7 games with this young team, a change should be made.

I could be wrong, but did Caldwell sign Poz?

No.  Gene Smith brought Poz here from Buffalo.
This is a results-oriented business.  There are no trophies or titles given for "moral victories" or for "winning the draft".  Our record with DC is 37-86.  6-10 is our 2nd best season in 8 years of Caldwell leadership.  These are the FACTS.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 09-21-2020, 11:36 AM by NeptuneBeachBum.)

(09-21-2020, 02:50 AM)jrvegeeta Wrote:
(09-21-2020, 02:18 AM)NeptuneBeachBum Wrote: One winning season in 8 years and our next best season was 6-10? Hell yah I'm doubting him.  He's been a disaster and lucked out on Minshew as a 6th round draft pick.

If we do not win 7+ games, I expect Caldwell and Morrone will both be sent packing.

Most of the players Caldwell was drafting went exactly where they should have during the drafts. Stop blaming a GM for poor coaching decisions, which is what has dogged this team for decades. Bad coaching will ALWAYS cancel out great talent because no player, no matter how good he is, comes into the NFL without needing to learn the speed, system and the culture - no exceptions. Players do not come up with gameplans or dictate how a system is run. That's the COACHING STAFF.

On top of all that, Tom Coughlin came in and ruined a pretty good setup by Caldwell. Don't even try to say that they made the playoffs because of Coughlin - nearly all of that talent from that 2017 team was drafted by Caldwell. What happened to all of those players? Coughlin ran them off - and now Caldwell is forced to take the blame for all of it from us fans because we think we know exactly what goes on inside the building. Newsflash: WE DON'T.

Fire Caldwell if he drafts a guy that turns out to be on the same level as Blaine Gabbert or any other player from the 'He-who-must-not-be-mentioned' era, but not for drafting good/great players that the coaching staff uses incorrectly.

According to who?  Mel Kiper?  Stop blaming coaching for bad personnel decisions. Bad personnel will ALWAYS cancel out great coaching.  And the talented players he has chosen were locker room cancers.  This GM has picked 2 head coaches... same results.

And Tom Coughlin, who has multiple Super Bowl rings, ruined a great set up by Caldwell?  What great set up?  The only winning season we have had in over a decade was BECAUSE of Coughlin, not despite of him.  He was the toast of the town during the play-offs here, or does your selective memory not recall that?  He just was not good enough to overcome Caldwell's disasterous decsions for many prior years to keep it going.  Plus he was getting old and losing touch.

We may not know what goes on inside the building, that is true.  But do we know what the results of 8 years of Caldwell leadership is?  NEWSFLASH:  WE DO.  36 wins and 76 losses.  One winning season, with the next best season 6-10.  Complete debacle.
This is a results-oriented business.  There are no trophies or titles given for "moral victories" or for "winning the draft".  Our record with DC is 37-86.  6-10 is our 2nd best season in 8 years of Caldwell leadership.  These are the FACTS.

(09-21-2020, 11:32 AM)NeptuneBeachBum Wrote:
(09-21-2020, 02:50 AM)jrvegeeta Wrote: Most of the players Caldwell was drafting went exactly where they should have during the drafts. Stop blaming a GM for poor coaching decisions, which is what has dogged this team for decades. Bad coaching will ALWAYS cancel out great talent because no player, no matter how good he is, comes into the NFL without needing to learn the speed, system and the culture - no exceptions. Players do not come up with gameplans or dictate how a system is run. That's the COACHING STAFF.

On top of all that, Tom Coughlin came in and ruined a pretty good setup by Caldwell. Don't even try to say that they made the playoffs because of Coughlin - nearly all of that talent from that 2017 team was drafted by Caldwell. What happened to all of those players? Coughlin ran them off - and now Caldwell is forced to take the blame for all of it from us fans because we think we know exactly what goes on inside the building. Newsflash: WE DON'T.

Fire Caldwell if he drafts a guy that turns out to be on the same level as Blaine Gabbert or any other player from the 'He-who-must-not-be-mentioned' era, but not for drafting good/great players that the coaching staff uses incorrectly.

According to who?  Mel Kiper?  Stop blaming coaching for bad personnel decisions. Bad personnel will ALWAYS cancel out great talent.  And the talented players he has chosen were locker room cancers.  This GM has picked 2 head coaches... same results.

And Tom Coughlin, who has multiple Super Bowl rings, ruined a great set up by Caldwell?  What great set up?  The only winning season we have had in over a decade was BECAUSE of Coughlin, not despite of him.  He was the toast of the town during the play-offs here, or does your selective memory not recall that?  He just was not good enough to overcome Caldwell's disasterous decsions for many prior years to keep it going.  Plus he was getting old and losing touch.

We may not know what goes on inside the building, that is true.  But do we know what the results of 8 years of Caldwell leadership is?  NEWSFLASH:  WE DO.  36 wins and 76 losses.  One winning season, with the next best season 6-10.  Complete debacle.

QFT
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

I think Caldwell is a very good talent scout and knows when and where to draft players for the most part.

His problem is his ability to manage talent on the roster and his coaching hire decisions. You can draft all the talented players you want, but if you don't get a coach who can utilize them correctly then it doesn't matter. He should have fired Bradley much earlier, he probably should have fired Marrone as well by this point.

(09-21-2020, 12:05 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote: I think Caldwell is a very good talent scout and knows when and where to draft players for the most part.

His problem is his ability to manage talent on the roster and his coaching hire decisions. You can draft all the talented players you want, but if you don't get a coach who can utilize them correctly then it doesn't matter. He should have fired Bradley much earlier, he probably should have fired Marrone as well by this point.

The GM is ultimately responsible for EVERYTHING about the team's success (or lack thereof, in our case).

I disagree with his ability to assess talent.  Because part of the talent assessment is character.  If you bring in a bunch of low character, "talented" players, you get 36-76 over 8 years.  And equally as important to bringing in great players, is bringing in a competent coaching staff.  He has hired 2 head coaches and has missed both times.  If we do not get to 7 or 8 wins this season MINIMUM, he needs to be shown the door.

(09-21-2020, 11:20 AM)NeptuneBeachBum Wrote:
(09-21-2020, 11:19 AM)JagFanFirst Wrote: I could be wrong, but did Caldwell sign Poz?

No.  Gene Smith brought Poz here from Buffalo.

Sorry, Gene! That was your one good move in your tenure and I tried to take it away from you.

(09-21-2020, 11:33 AM)iHaunting Raven Wrote:
(09-21-2020, 11:32 AM)NeptuneBeachBum Wrote: According to who?  Mel Kiper?  Stop blaming coaching for bad personnel decisions. Bad personnel will ALWAYS cancel out great talent.  And the talented players he has chosen were locker room cancers.  This GM has picked 2 head coaches... same results.

QFT

Really? Caldwell isn't a great GM, but the Fournette pick had Coughlin's fingerprints all over it, and he damn near ruined this team's reputation among the league and players. Anyone remember the NFLPA's warning shot about signing with jax? 

Coughlin had to go; the situation was untenable.

Caldwell may be soon gone too, should 2020 be a losing record.

(09-21-2020, 12:24 PM)SamusAranX Wrote:
(09-21-2020, 11:33 AM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: QFT

Really? Caldwell isn't a great GM, but the Fournette pick had Coughlin's fingerprints all over it, and he damn near ruined this team's reputation among the league and players. Anyone remember the NFLPA's warning shot about signing with jax? 

Ok sure. Fournette was Coughlin's pick, just like Minshew, Chark and Allen. Also Coughlin signed Calais, Bouye and Church. In other words 2017 was thanks to Coughlin. Also Caldwell doesn't have a winning season yet.
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

(This post was last modified: 09-21-2020, 12:58 PM by NeptuneBeachBum.)

(09-21-2020, 12:24 PM)SamusAranX Wrote:
(09-21-2020, 11:33 AM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: QFT

#1. You are speculating about the Fournette pick.  The truth is neither you, nor I, nor anyone else on this board who doesn't work in the Jags front office would know that with certainty.

#2.  I agree that Coughlin's methods were out of date and he needed to go.  But he was also around and received credit for the only decent season we have had here since JDR's 2007 squad.

#3.  Explain to me if you are a GM with ANY professional sports team for 8 seasons and your franchise has posted the WORST cumulative record in the League during that time how you still have a job.  Please.

(09-21-2020, 02:50 AM)jrvegeeta Wrote:
(09-21-2020, 02:18 AM)NeptuneBeachBum Wrote: One winning season in 8 years and our next best season was 6-10? Hell yah I'm doubting him.  He's been a disaster and lucked out on Minshew as a 6th round draft pick.

If we do not win 7+ games, I expect Caldwell and Morrone will both be sent packing.

Most of the players Caldwell was drafting went exactly where they should have during the drafts. Stop blaming a GM for poor coaching decisions, which is what has dogged this team for decades. Bad coaching will ALWAYS cancel out great talent because no player, no matter how good he is, comes into the NFL without needing to learn the speed, system and the culture - no exceptions. Players do not come up with gameplans or dictate how a system is run. That's the COACHING STAFF.

Caldwell had his fair share of gaffes prior to Coughlin coming in an doing for the Jags what he did for them previously, spending on free agents to get the team in a better spot quickly, and basically blowing up the cap. Unfortunatley, this approach caused us a problem where solid young talent became disgruntled and moved on once they had a chance to jump ship.

I like the post-Coughlin approach Caldwell has taken.  It required some monumentally difficult decisions, and he made them in order to get the team in turnaround mode as quickly as possible.  

You mention the coaching staff.  Caldwell hires the coaches.  He hired Gus, didn't he?  It's a toss-up to say if Coughlin or Caldwell hired Marrone, but he definitely had a say in the staff changes that did (and didn't) happen this past offseason.  I think the Gruden hire may turn out to be the one that saves his (and Marrone') job.  It's looking good so far.  

No, we don't know what's going on inside the building.  But, you get a pretty good sense of things based on what's happened with the team over the past couple of years, and it has been an absolute train wreck as far as first round picks are concerned.  Coughlin didn't help things one bit, but there was a mindset inside the organization that allowed guys like Ramsey and Yan to become distractions, to the point where veteran presences like Calais were almost completely ignored by the younger players.  

I really hope Caldwell does turn things around this year and next.  I think he's learned a lot from his mistakes over the years, and especially working under TC the past couple of seasons.  He seems to have figured out what NOT to do in rebuilding this roster.  Hopefully this new focus turns out to be the model moving forward.  But, I'm still skeptical about Caldwell unti we see what happens this year.
(09-21-2020, 08:05 AM)rufftime Wrote: I am definitely still doubting Dave.  So far the plan for this season and next is looking better than I expected.  We are young look OK and are loaded with picks and money next year.  It is a long season though, and I am just going to watch it play out.

At this moment, we appear to have a talented offense and a weak defense.  Credit to him for making some bold choices on offense including rolling with Robinson and having faith in the OL.  At the same time he choose to go with a much younger defense that is struggling.  Four defensive starters are gone via trades he made this offseason.  

If they come together and finish 8-8 or better, I am OK to let it roll.  Especially if the losses are close like yesterday.

Agreed.

Even if they don't finish 8-8, I think that as long as they show the kind of competitiveness they did the past 2 weeks, that will alleve a lot of the concerns I have.  I can live with the losses like we saw yesterday coming from such a young team.  With the draft capital and cap room they have built up, if the team is competitive now, they will be vying for a division title as soon as next year with a few more acquisitions.  

Dave had to make some very difficult, and unpopular moves this year to clean up the mess that Coughlin left behind.  Those kinds of moves can make or break a GM.  Right now, it's looking like he made the right moves.  I'm hoping that continues to be the case, and we can finally get back to winning in the way the team did going back to the early years.

I was hoping Minshew would take that next step to remove the Lawrence chatter from the lexicon.  We don't need to tank.  And with the weapons they've added this year, we're seeing what an effective QB can do.  His progression is a bright spot, and a sign that things can only get better.

This team has a feel to it very much like what we enjoyed in the '96 season.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Let Caldwell be a draft talent evaluator and assistant coach, that's it. Unless are next 2 seasons are winning ones, he doesn't deserve to be a GM. And to the guy that tried to say it was bad coaching not the GM, the GM is responsible for picking the staff. Getting rid of the ones that are not working out. You see that our terrible D coordinator is still here and Marrone is not really doing much. He may have made a good.pickup with Gruden tho

(09-21-2020, 12:18 PM)jaglou53 Wrote:
(09-21-2020, 11:20 AM)NeptuneBeachBum Wrote: No.  Gene Smith brought Poz here from Buffalo.

Sorry, Gene! That was your one good move in your tenure and I tried to take it away from you.

[Image: jags-gene_smith.jpg]
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

(09-21-2020, 12:35 PM)FBT Wrote: Agreed.

Even if they don't finish 8-8, I think that as long as they show the kind of competitiveness they did the past 2 weeks, that will alleve a lot of the concerns I have.  I can live with the losses like we saw yesterday coming from such a young team.  With the draft capital and cap room they have built up, if the team is competitive now, they will be vying for a division title as soon as next year with a few more acquisitions.  

Dave had to make some very difficult, and unpopular moves this year to clean up the mess that Coughlin left behind.  Those kinds of moves can make or break a GM.  Right now, it's looking like he made the right moves.  I'm hoping that continues to be the case, and we can finally get back to winning in the way the team did going back to the early years.

I was hoping Minshew would take that next step to remove the Lawrence chatter from the lexicon.  We don't need to tank.  And with the weapons they've added this year, we're seeing what an effective QB can do.  His progression is a bright spot, and a sign that things can only get better.

This.  As long as it's entertaining, inspired football i'll be inspired by the progress.  The guys look like they are playing FOR each other instead of against each other now. Maybe it really was a culture problem in the locker room? 
Compared to years past where games were over by halftime in Nashville, I will take this.

“Motivation alone is not enough.  If you have an idiot and you motivate him,now you have a motivated idiot.” Jim Rohn

(09-21-2020, 11:14 AM)jaglou53 Wrote: Caldwell has made some good decisions in his tenure with the Jaguars. Drafting Chark was one of the best. Signing Calais Campbell, A.J. Bouye and Poz as free agents were also good moves.On the other hand, he drafted Bortles, Taven Bryan and Fournette. I give him no credit for Minshew and James Robinson. If he liked them so much, he would have taken Minshew earlier and spent a draft pick on Robinson. The Josh Allen and Ramsey picks were no-brainers who would have been picked by every other G.M. in the NFL. The jury is still out on this draft class, although they have great potential.

My point is that Caldwell is a middle of the road general manager who has had his share of hits and misses. Most general managers can say the same, except for guys like Matt Millen and a few others. The problem with Caldwell is that his mistakes have been so bad! Drafting Bortles and extending him were horrible mistakes. He was a good guy who tried hard, but never should have been drafted that high. I'll give Caldwell a pass on hiring Gus Bradley, but how could any general manager worth anything give Gus an extension after having the 2nd worst record in coaching history.

Shad Kahn should have kept his word from two years ago. He strongly implied that Caldwell would be gone if the team didn't significantly improve during this time. Unless they win at least 7 games with this young team, a change should be made.

I agree with your conclusion that Caldwell's record is unacceptable and he should have been fired after last season.

I don't agree that he deserves no credit for Ramsey, Josh Allen, Minshew and Robinson. We have seen GMs all over this league (including Caldwell) pass on superior talent (Ramsey/ Allen) to fill needs. In the Allen draft, 2-4 teams are looking absolutely foolish for passing on him. Every team in the league had several chances at the last two and didn't pull the trigger. There is definitely an element of luck, but there is a ton of preparation by his scouting department to find these diamonds in the rough. It is not random chance that he has found several including Abry Jones, Allen Hurns, Leon Jacobs, Telvin Smith, Aaron Colvin, Jarrod Wilson, Tre Herndon, Keelan Cole.

(This post was last modified: 09-21-2020, 12:47 PM by NeptuneBeachBum.)

(09-21-2020, 12:39 PM)Sneakers Wrote:
(09-21-2020, 12:18 PM)jaglou53 Wrote: Sorry, Gene! That was your one good move in your tenure and I tried to take it away from you.

Here is a fun stat for you:

Jags winning percentage under Gene Smith:  .344

Jags winning percentage under David Caldwell:  .321

Let that one sink in.

(09-21-2020, 12:39 PM)Sneakers Wrote:
(09-21-2020, 12:18 PM)jaglou53 Wrote: Sorry, Gene! That was your one good move in your tenure and I tried to take it away from you.

Good Lord!  Just seing Gene's mug on here makes me nauseous.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

(09-21-2020, 12:46 PM)NeptuneBeachBum Wrote:
(09-21-2020, 12:39 PM)Sneakers Wrote: [Image: jags-gene_smith.jpg]

Here is a fun stat for you:

Let that one sink in.

We call it The Bradley Effect.
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

(09-21-2020, 12:56 PM)Sneakers Wrote:
(09-21-2020, 12:46 PM)NeptuneBeachBum Wrote: Here is a fun stat for you:

Let that one sink in.

We call it The Bradley Effect.

You spelled CALDWELL wrong.

(09-21-2020, 12:46 PM)rufftime Wrote:

I agree with your conclusion that Caldwell's record is unacceptable and he should have been fired after last season.  

I don't agree that he deserves no credit for Ramsey, Josh Allen, Minshew and Robinson.  We have seen GMs all over this league (including Caldwell) pass on superior talent (Ramsey/ Allen) to fill needs.  In the Allen draft, 2-4 teams are looking absolutely foolish for passing on him.  Every team in the league had several chances at the last two and didn't pull the trigger.  There is definitely an element of luck, but there is a ton of preparation by his scouting department to find these diamonds in the rough.  It is not random chance that he has found several including Abry Jones, Allen Hurns, Leon Jacobs, Telvin Smith, Aaron Colvin, Jarrod Wilson, Tre Herndon, Keelan Cole.
You are right that Caldwell deserves some credit for listening to the scouts who endorsed Minshew, Robinson, Herndon, Hurns, etc. He does have the final say on such matters. Your earlier statement about the strength of this team being Offense is totally true. For the remainder of this season, I'd expect several more high-scoring games like yesterday. The defense has too many young/inexperienced players and it takes at least one year for most rookies to get used to the speed of the NFL along with learning new schemes, etc. My hope is that Chaisson, Henderson and Hamilton continue to improve each week and become productive starters next season. I'd also like to see Barcoo get a chance to play later in the season because he seems to have the ball skills needed to play corner in the NFL. Depending on what happens with these key rookies, I would expect the off-season to still focus on the defensive side of the ball. Adding a safety seems like a given in the first 2 rounds. Hopefully, they will add quality players on both the offensive and defensive lines because depth is always needed at these key position groups.

(This post was last modified: 09-21-2020, 04:33 PM by SamusAranX.)

(09-21-2020, 12:28 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote:
(09-21-2020, 12:24 PM)SamusAranX Wrote: Really? Caldwell isn't a great GM, but the Fournette pick had Coughlin's fingerprints all over it, and he damn near ruined this team's reputation among the league and players. Anyone remember the NFLPA's warning shot about signing with jax? 

Ok sure. Fournette was Coughlin's pick, just like Minshew, Chark and Allen. Also Coughlin signed Calais, Bouye and Church. In other words 2017 was thanks to Coughlin. Also Caldwell doesn't have a winning season yet.

Caldwell has a winning season, 2017. If Coughlin gets credit, then so does Caldwell. Some picks bare clear trademarks of either or, but many can't be differentiated and were joint decisions. Caldwell has made his fair share of blunders with and without Coughlin.

However, when it came to reports of player dissatisfaction, trade demands, and the NFLPA letter debacle, that was traced back to Coughlin. It's no coincidence he was fired but not Caldwell once that letter came out.

I think someone, aka you, is a bit salty his gramps TC got fired. It is after all his second time being sent packing after poor decisions costing this franchise. 

Besides, you're always spewing negativity on this board when it comes to you being a supposed "fan", so maybe if another team hires him you can jump ship and go root for him there.

(09-21-2020, 12:31 PM)NeptuneBeachBum Wrote:
(09-21-2020, 12:24 PM)SamusAranX Wrote: Really? Caldwell isn't a great GM, but the Fournette pick had Coughlin's fingerprints all over it, and he damn near ruined this team's reputation among the league and players. Anyone remember the NFLPA's warning shot about signing with jax? 

#1. You are speculating about the Fournette pick.  The truth is neither you, nor I, nor anyone else on this board who doesn't work in the Jags front office would know that with certainty.

#2.  I agree that Coughlin's methods were out of date and he needed to go.  But he was also around and received credit for the only decent season we have had here since JDR's 2007 squad.

#3.  Explain to me if you are a GM with ANY professional sports team for 8 seasons and your franchise has posted the WORST cumulative record in the League during that time how you still have a job.  Please.

What part of:

"Yes, despite my signature, I still doubt him. One playoff season in 8 years would send any other GM packing, even the Browns."

And

"Caldwell may be soon gone too, should 2020 be a losing record."

did you not comprehend? I am not fighting for Caldwell to stay. I am numb about it. If he has a bad record this year, regardless of Minshew's performance being good, he should be gone.