Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
QB's

(03-03-2021, 12:32 PM)JaguarKick Wrote:
(03-03-2021, 11:55 AM)ATLjag Wrote: On Pro Football Talk this morning, Chris Simms says that after study film this past week, he is placing Zach Wilson ahead of Trevor Lawrence as the #1 QB in the draft.  He thinks Wilson will be a superstar, playing like a cross between Rodgers and Mahomes.  He does think Lawrence is a star QB just slightly behind him, needing a little work on footwork and not quite as accurate as Wilson.  He does indicate he would not have any issue with either being selected with the first pick.

Chris Simms looks for clicks.

I see nothing wrong with Simms' take. I personally feel the same way. I love both QB's. I feel like Lawrence may be the safer selection, but I believe Wilson may have a slightly higher ceiling. With that said, I believe both will be huge NFL stars as long as the teams drafting them build around them.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(03-03-2021, 12:32 PM)JaguarKick Wrote:
(03-03-2021, 11:55 AM)ATLjag Wrote: On Pro Football Talk this morning, Chris Simms says that after study film this past week, he is placing Zach Wilson ahead of Trevor Lawrence as the #1 QB in the draft.  He thinks Wilson will be a superstar, playing like a cross between Rodgers and Mahomes.  He does think Lawrence is a star QB just slightly behind him, needing a little work on footwork and not quite as accurate as Wilson.  He does indicate he would not have any issue with either being selected with the first pick.

Chris Simms looks for clicks.

Yea that's it he's just guessing to get clicks. The dude said he wants to be a GM one day. He got it right about several qbs when others got it wrong...but you're right it's just for clicks.
"Don't argue with an idiot, people watching may not be able to tell the difference."

(03-03-2021, 02:07 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(03-03-2021, 12:32 PM)JaguarKick Wrote: Chris Simms looks for clicks.

I see nothing wrong with Simms' take. I personally feel the same way. I love both QB's. I feel like Lawrence may be the safer selection, but I believe Wilson may have a slightly higher ceiling. With that said, I believe both will be huge NFL stars as long as the teams drafting them build around them.

To me, Trevor Lawrence has the higher ceiling.  He's bigger, more athletic, and by all accounts has a high football intelligence, is tough, and has great leadership ability.  I've read at least one account, for whatever it's worth, that Wilson has an arrogance and sense of entitlement about him.  Not that it equates to that much of a concern.  Lots of QBs are arrogant, and sometimes it pays dividends for them.  But you never know how it will manifest itself-good or bad.  I think in the wrong situation, it could blow up.

Ultimately I believe both are good enough prospects to where their ability will not be the issue in determining whether they succeed.  Their success will ultimately be determined by whether or not their teams can put sufficient talent around them to succeed and health.  It's way too early to determine that, and neither the Jaguars or the Jets have anything close to a complete roster, otherwise they would not be in this draft position.  But right now, assuming the Jaguars take TL and the Jets take Wilson, the Jaguars have more pieces around Lawrence than the Jets have for Wilson.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(03-06-2021, 08:25 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(03-03-2021, 02:07 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I see nothing wrong with Simms' take. I personally feel the same way. I love both QB's. I feel like Lawrence may be the safer selection, but I believe Wilson may have a slightly higher ceiling. With that said, I believe both will be huge NFL stars as long as the teams drafting them build around them.

To me, Trevor Lawrence has the higher ceiling.  He's bigger, more athletic, and by all accounts has a high football intelligence, is tough, and has great leadership ability.  I've read at least one account, for whatever it's worth, that Wilson has an arrogance and sense of entitlement about him.  Not that it equates to that much of a concern.  Lots of QBs are arrogant, and sometimes it pays dividends for them.  But you never know how it will manifest itself-good or bad.  I think in the wrong situation, it could blow up.

Ultimately I believe both are good enough prospects to where their ability will not be the issue in determining whether they succeed.  Their success will ultimately be determined by whether or not their teams can put sufficient talent around them to succeed and health.  It's way too early to determine that, and neither the Jaguars or the Jets have anything close to a complete roster, otherwise they would not be in this draft position.  But right now, assuming the Jaguars take TL and the Jets take Wilson, the Jaguars have more pieces around Lawrence than the Jets have for Wilson.

You never can tell how accurate these accounts are. I've read several articles saying he was liked a lot by his teammates and he had a fantastic work ethic. Maybe he does have a bit of arrogance to him. Success tends to breed this. IMO, Aaron Rodgers is extremely arrogant, but he has the respect of his teammates and he is very successful. It can work. It's not like the reports I read of Josh Rosen coming out of college. Apparently, those were right. They said his arrogance rubbed a lot of people the wrong way and many people didn't like him. It all depends on how that arrogance manifest itself. 

I totally agree with you on the fact that their ultimate success depends on how their teams decide to build around them. That is why it's so important to me that we start by upgrading the OT  and TE position. Both of our OT's are putrid and need to be replaced and we need to find a reliable TE. If we can upgrade those positions, Lawrence should have a good chance to succeed. We already have a good WR unit and a very good RB.

(03-06-2021, 10:20 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(03-06-2021, 08:25 AM)Bullseye Wrote: To me, Trevor Lawrence has the higher ceiling.  He's bigger, more athletic, and by all accounts has a high football intelligence, is tough, and has great leadership ability.  I've read at least one account, for whatever it's worth, that Wilson has an arrogance and sense of entitlement about him.  Not that it equates to that much of a concern.  Lots of QBs are arrogant, and sometimes it pays dividends for them.  But you never know how it will manifest itself-good or bad.  I think in the wrong situation, it could blow up.

You never can tell how accurate these accounts are. I've read several articles saying he was liked a lot by his teammates and he had a fantastic work ethic. Maybe he does have a bit of arrogance to him. Success tends to breed this. IMO, Aaron Rodgers is extremely arrogant, but he has the respect of his teammates and he is very successful. It can work. It's not like the reports I read of Josh Rosen coming out of college. Apparently, those were right. They said his arrogance rubbed a lot of people the wrong way and many people didn't like him. It all depends on how that arrogance manifest itself. 
(Emphasis added)

Actually, the kind of arrogance described mirrors Rosen's.  I read that Wilson comes from a wealthy family and that's where his arrogance/entitlement comes from.  Again, I don't know how much validity that has or what, to be honest.  That report was not as bad or as numerous as those Rosen reports.  I know if he can play and he produces, players will respect him.

Quote:I totally agree with you on the fact that their ultimate success depends on how their teams decide to build around them. That is why it's so important to me that we start by upgrading the OT  and TE position. Both of our OT's are putrid and need to be replaced and we need to find a reliable TE. If we can upgrade those positions, Lawrence should have a good chance to succeed. We already have a good WR unit and a very good RB.

Under normal circumstances, I agree with placing a heavy early round emphasis on skill players.  But under our current circumstances, you and I are in complete agreement on this point.  Left Tackle needs to be upgraded, period.  Right Tackle needs to be upgraded, period.  I do NOT want Norwell gone.  Providing protection for Lawrence is of paramount importance.  The only solace I take in our current situation (and believe me, it's miniscule) is that the situation isn't as bad as Dallas in 1989 was when Aikman first entered the league.  The Dallas offensive line was a mess.  They had Tuinei, who was still learning to play LT being converted from a college DT.  They had Nate Newton and Kevin Gogan, who weren't developed and the team didn't know their positions (both had stints at RT).  Mark Stepnoski was a rookie.  On top of all of that, they were in an absolutely brutal division in terms of defense with the Parcells/Belicheck era Giants with Lawrence Taylor and Carl Banks that won the Super Bowl in 1990, the Gibbs era Washington team with Charles Mann, Wilber Marshall and Darrell Green that won the Super Bowl in 1991, and the best defense to never appear in a Super Bowl, the Buddy Ryan era Eagles with Reggie White in his prime, Clyde Simmons, Jerome Brown, Seth Joyner, Eric Allen and Andre Waters. 

Regardless, our current OL situation is intolerable if Lawerence is to have any success.  Upgrading the T spots is non negotiable.

(03-06-2021, 08:25 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(03-03-2021, 02:07 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I see nothing wrong with Simms' take. I personally feel the same way. I love both QB's. I feel like Lawrence may be the safer selection, but I believe Wilson may have a slightly higher ceiling. With that said, I believe both will be huge NFL stars as long as the teams drafting them build around them.

Wilson with a higher ceiling?

He makes some really good plays but Lawrence has a Manning/Elway ceiling. What’s Wilson’s ceiling? And please don’t say Mahomes. No one is Mahomes.

(This post was last modified: 03-06-2021, 11:00 AM by Bullseye.)

(03-06-2021, 10:50 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(03-06-2021, 08:25 AM)Bullseye Wrote: To me, Trevor Lawrence has the higher ceiling.  He's bigger, more athletic, and by all accounts has a high football intelligence, is tough, and has great leadership ability.  I've read at least one account, for whatever it's worth, that Wilson has an arrogance and sense of entitlement about him.  Not that it equates to that much of a concern.  Lots of QBs are arrogant, and sometimes it pays dividends for them.  But you never know how it will manifest itself-good or bad.  I think in the wrong situation, it could blow up.

He makes some really good plays but Lawrence has a Manning/Elway ceiling. What’s Wilson’s ceiling? And please don’t say Mahomes. No one is Mahomes.
(emphasis added)

To whom were you replying, me or TheOLMatters?

(03-06-2021, 10:20 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:

I totally agree with you on the fact that their ultimate success depends on how their teams decide to build around them. That is why it's so important to me that we start by upgrading the OT  and TE position. Both of our OT's are putrid and need to be replaced and we need to find a reliable TE. If we can upgrade those positions, Lawrence should have a good chance to succeed. We already have a good WR unit and a very good RB.

(03-06-2021, 10:58 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(03-06-2021, 10:50 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: Wilson with a higher ceiling?

(emphasis added)

To whom were you replying, me or TheOLMatters?
Oh definitely OLine.

No idea how your post was the one quoted lol

You and I (as well as many others) agree.

When I watch Wilson play, I see a young Brett Favre.

(03-06-2021, 01:52 PM)OTheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(03-06-2021, 10:50 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: Wilson with a higher ceiling?

When I watch Wilson play, I see a young Brett Favre.
And yet Manning and Elway are both better than Favre....

(03-06-2021, 02:07 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(03-06-2021, 01:52 PM)OTheO-LineMatters Wrote: When I watch Wilson play, I see a young Brett Favre.
And yet Manning and Elway are both better than Favre....

A matter of opinion.

(03-06-2021, 08:19 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(03-06-2021, 02:07 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: And yet Manning and Elway are both better than Favre....

A matter of opinion.

FWIW, I think Favre is every bit as physically gifted as Elway or Manning, but his recklessness with the football puts him a notch below both.

(03-06-2021, 08:46 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(03-06-2021, 08:19 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: A matter of opinion.

FWIW, I think Favre is every bit as physically gifted as Elway or Manning, but his recklessness with the football puts him a notch below both.

What I always loved about Favre was that he could make plays out of nothing. The recklessness came late in his career, after he should have retired. Some guys stick around too long and when their play begins to falter, it leaves a bad taste in people's mouths. If you take away those later years where he was reckless and just focus on Favre in his prime, I believe he was among the top 3 QB's of all time.

I think it’s Favre/Rogers ceiling. His family having money doesn’t bother me if anything it’s that Trevor is bigger. The thing I really like about Wilson is his release. It’s lightning quick and really accurate.

I just don’t think Urban can back out from taking Lawrence even though Wilson is the better prospect. When you look at what translates best to the pro game from a QB it’s quick release, accuracy and a stable frame to take the hits. For me Wilson has a way better release and he’s more accurate. Lawrence frame is definitely better.