Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
RIP Eddie Van Halen

This kind of surprised me.  Eddie Van Halen succumbed to cancer today.  One of the greats from my teen years.  RIP.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

RIP, Eddie. You turned the guitar world upside down with your innovative playing.

Neil Peart and now Eddie. Damn you, 2020.

Wow! I knew he has had cancer for a long time, but since I hadn't heard any recent news, I thought maybe he was in remission. He certainly was one of a kind. He revolutionized how rock music was played. RIP.

I remember the 1st time I heard him back in 78. I was in a Harmony Hut music store and they had that blasting on the in store stero. I immediately bought the tape and shoved it in to the cassette player in my Chevelle. RIP Eddie
You know trouble is right around the corner when your best friend tells you to hold his beer!!

(10-06-2020, 05:30 PM)The Drifter Wrote: I remember the 1st time I heard him back in 78. I was in a Harmony Hut music store and they had that blasting on the in store stero. I immediately bought the tape and shoved it in to the cassette player in my Chevelle. RIP Eddie

You might need to explain what a "music store" and a cassette is to some of our members.

I preferred the "clean" sound of vinyl on the record player.  I still have the original Van Halen on LP.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

I saw Van Halen in concert in 82 or 83. Back then all tickets were general admission for about $12. No assigned seating, the floor was a big pit like all concerts then. I worked my way up to about 30 feet from the stage and took it all in. Eddie tried to do a running knee slide across the stage but caught up on something and wiped out. To end one of the sets Michael Anthony tossed his bass way up in the air. It crashed down and about blew out the speakers. I wouldn't be surprised if that contributed to the tinnitus I have today.
One of the girls in the crowd threw her bra up on stage so David Lee Roth picked it up and said "Ooh, this looks like one of Valeerrrrieees."
The
Crowd
Went
Wild

*sigh* Youth...

I saw him on the Monsters Of Rock tour in 1988 in the old Bucs stadium. "Eruption" sounded fantastic that night.

Is it official? Do we finally have a death in the US that is non-Covid?

(10-06-2020, 04:17 PM)Jagsfan4life9/28/82 Wrote: RIP, Eddie. You turned the guitar world upside down with your innovative playing.

So much this. My best friend in my high school years and I thought we were decent guitar players. He loved Jimmy Page's works and had a Les Paul, I thought Eric Clapton was the best living guitarist (RIP Jimi Hendrix) and owned a Stratocaster. We jammed together, did reasonable versions of blues based rock and roll standards. Nearly a year after we graduated he called, wanted me to come over. I thought he wanted to jam, when I got to his apartment and started to unload my guitar and amp, he said "You won't be needing those", and motioned me inside. I went in, he put an album on his turntable and played Eruption. 

It blew my [BLEEP] mind. And sent me on a much more achievable career path.

RIP Eddie Van Halen.
If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]