Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Taven Bryan - Another first round bust on this Regime's Resume!

The kid is an absolute nobody. He won’t get anything past his rookie contract here or maybe anywhere in the NFL.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(10-12-2020, 10:50 AM)Talented Kalamari Wrote: The kid is an absolute nobody. He won’t get anything past his rookie contract here or maybe anywhere in the NFL.

That's a bit disingenuous. Somehow Hauschka is getting paid, I'm sure Bryan will serve just fine as a rotational player, assuming a healthy career.

(This post was last modified: 10-12-2020, 10:56 AM by NeptuneBeachBum.)

(10-12-2020, 10:49 AM)Minshew Mania Wrote:
(10-12-2020, 10:44 AM)NeptuneBeachBum Wrote: You are out of your mind.  His drafts as horrible (look at our record dude).  And good cap manager?!?!?!  We are paying more money ($44 million this year) in dead cap space to players who are no longer on our team... by far the most in the League!!!  How do these thoughts get into people's heads?!?!?!

Yeah well if you judge our drafts based on record then I can see how you can come to that conclusion. You'd have to ignore the awful coaches, but whatever. You're right, our win/loss column is a direct reflection of our God awful drafts. Caldwell is such a loser.

And if you count the dead cap space for one year then yeah, I can see how you can come to that conclusion. You'd have to be ignoring all the Free agent Cuts we literally just did. And also ignore we will have the top cap space going into 2021. But yeah bro, Caldwell is awful worst GM ever. You're totally right.

No... you're right bro.  You've convinced me.  Winning is overrated.  The job of a GM isn't to win... its to get Draft grades from Mel Kiper.  I'm with you bro.  You've made me see the light... Caldwell is awesome!
This is a results-oriented business.  There are no trophies or titles given for "moral victories" or for "winning the draft".  Our record with DC is 37-86.  6-10 is our 2nd best season in 8 years of Caldwell leadership.  These are the FACTS.

(This post was last modified: 10-12-2020, 11:00 AM by Minshew Mania.)

(10-12-2020, 10:55 AM)NeptuneBeachBum Wrote:
(10-12-2020, 10:49 AM)Minshew Mania Wrote: Yeah well if you judge our drafts based on record then I can see how you can come to that conclusion. You'd have to ignore the awful coaches, but whatever. You're right, our win/loss column is a direct reflection of our God awful drafts. Caldwell is such a loser.

And if you count the dead cap space for one year then yeah, I can see how you can come to that conclusion. You'd have to be ignoring all the Free agent Cuts we literally just did. And also ignore we will have the top cap space going into 2021. But yeah bro, Caldwell is awful worst GM ever. You're totally right.

No... you're right bro.  You've convinced me.  Winning is overrated.  The job of a GM isn't to win... its to get Draft grades from Mel Kiper.  I'm with you bro.  You've made me see the light... Caldwell is awesome!

You're just being obtuse. Throwing the baby out with the bath water so to speak. There's many things that plague this franchise, it doesn't all fall on Caldwell.

Honestly though I'm pretty apathetic. Thankfully the angry mob that are Jags fans don't run the franchise, but if they did I wouldn't shed many tears for Caldwell. I just don't think he's half that bad. It'd be telling to know why our superstars fled town, unfortunately we will never have the full story. Oh well. 

Roll the dice and get a new front office, new coach, new scouting staff, I don't care. But don't be surprised when we have another decade of losing. #becausejaguars.

Whatever you do, don’t look at the players drafted after Bryan.....

(10-12-2020, 11:02 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: Whatever you do, don’t look at the players drafted after Bryan.....

You can say that for almost all our drat picks

We definitely needed another thread to pile on Caldwell lol

Not a defense of Caldwell or the Bryan pick jus' sayin'

Glad we're talking about GM replacements in October though. This message board is shaping up to be right in line with where it should be this time of year. 8 Fire someone threads, 2 The QB is good/no he's not threads, a few I told you so threads, a who sucks more than us thread and draft talk.

Ah, Jaguars football lulz

(This post was last modified: 10-12-2020, 11:27 AM by jaguarmvp.)

(10-12-2020, 11:22 AM)Kane Wrote: We definitely needed another thread to pile on Caldwell lol

Not a defense of Caldwell or the Bryan pick jus' sayin'

Glad we're talking about GM replacements in October though. This message board is shaping up to be right in line with where it should be this time of year. 8 Fire someone threads, 2 The QB is good/no he's not threads, a few I told you so threads, a who sucks more than us thread and draft talk.

Ah, Jaguars football lulz

They are also losing as usual so it is in place

(10-12-2020, 11:00 AM)Minshew Mania Wrote:
(10-12-2020, 10:55 AM)NeptuneBeachBum Wrote: No... you're right bro.  You've convinced me.  Winning is overrated.  The job of a GM isn't to win... its to get Draft grades from Mel Kiper.  I'm with you bro.  You've made me see the light... Caldwell is awesome!

You're just being obtuse. Throwing the baby out with the bath water so to speak. There's many things that plague this franchise, it doesn't all fall on Caldwell.

Honestly though I'm pretty apathetic. Thankfully the angry mob that are Jags fans don't run the franchise, but if they did I wouldn't shed many tears for Caldwell. I just don't think he's half that bad. It'd be telling to know why our superstars fled town, unfortunately we will never have the full story. Oh well. 

Roll the dice and get a new front office, new coach, new scouting staff, I don't care. But don't be surprised when we have another decade of losing. #becausejaguars.

Good trolling.  No one in their right mind would defend Caldwell.  He is also responsible for the crappy Head Coaches here too.  Caldwells former boss in Atlanta was just fired too.   Caldwell sucks and is not a good GM in any way, shape, or form.
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

He's a good locker room guy. Attends all meetings in a timely manner and is a good role model to our younger players on things such as remaining positive while your production is super low.

(10-10-2020, 09:22 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(10-10-2020, 09:16 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: Taven Bryan.  This is the very definition of just a guy.   He has 3 tackles on the year and irrelevant in the passing game.   One more 1st round bust on this Regime's Resume.   I don't see any kind of Spark to show that he is going to develop into a player either.

TC was put in above him by Khan in 2017.

Was Bryan a TC pick or a Caldwell pick?

I think draft wise Caldwell is okay.  Player retention? 

Big problem.

Regardless of the chain of command, DC has to own the pick. Just like Fournette. If TC is mandating a pick, he's left with the choice to either bend to his boss's will against his own judgment, take someone else in defiance of his boss, or quit his job. All of the picks made were ones that either DC did not contest, or agreed with TC's guidance.

I think his hits outweigh his misses. I get that I am in the minority around here on this subject. His biggest flaw may be overvaluing position of need over talent, especially early in the darft, but it's not like he's been throwing early picks at complete washouts. Like you said, Bullseye, the biggest miss may be that the hits are on other rosters right now.

(10-12-2020, 11:00 AM)Minshew Mania Wrote:
(10-12-2020, 10:55 AM)NeptuneBeachBum Wrote: No... you're right bro.  You've convinced me.  Winning is overrated.  The job of a GM isn't to win... its to get Draft grades from Mel Kiper.  I'm with you bro.  You've made me see the light... Caldwell is awesome!

No, bro.  Serious.  You've made me seen the light.  Caldwell is a misunderstood genius... it just took your wisdom to educate me.  1000 apologies for all my previous posts about your Uncle Dave.
This is a results-oriented business.  There are no trophies or titles given for "moral victories" or for "winning the draft".  Our record with DC is 37-86.  6-10 is our 2nd best season in 8 years of Caldwell leadership.  These are the FACTS.

(10-12-2020, 12:41 PM)NeptuneBeachBum Wrote:
(10-12-2020, 11:00 AM)Minshew Mania Wrote: You're just being obtuse. Throwing the baby out with the bath water so to speak. There's many things that plague this franchise, it doesn't all fall on Caldwell.

No, bro.  Serious.  You've made me seen the light.  Caldwell is a misunderstood genius... it just took your wisdom to educate me.  1000 apologies for all my previous posts about your Uncle Dave.

Just remember, there were people still defending Gene Smith until the end.
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

(10-12-2020, 11:02 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: Whatever you do, don’t look at the players drafted after Bryan, Fournette (Mahommes, D. Watson), Bortles (Khalil Mack), or Gabbert (JJ Watt) .....

Updated our 1st round pain thread

A PUNTER IS A STARTER

(10-12-2020, 01:01 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote:
(10-12-2020, 12:41 PM)NeptuneBeachBum Wrote: No, bro.  Serious.  You've made me seen the light.  Caldwell is a misunderstood genius... it just took your wisdom to educate me.  1000 apologies for all my previous posts about your Uncle Dave.

Just remember, there were people still defending Gene Smith until the end.

EXCELLENT point.

(10-12-2020, 01:32 PM)NeptuneBeachBum Wrote:
(10-12-2020, 01:01 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: Just remember, there were people still defending Gene Smith until the end.

EXCELLENT point.
It would be if I was one of them. Which I wasn't.

Hard to defend early picks of punters and long snappers. Come on now, apples to oranges.

(This post was last modified: 10-12-2020, 02:19 PM by NeptuneBeachBum.)

(10-12-2020, 01:37 PM)Minshew Mania Wrote:
(10-12-2020, 01:32 PM)NeptuneBeachBum Wrote: EXCELLENT point.
It would be if I was one of them. Which I wasn't.

Hard to defend early picks of punters and long snappers. Come on now, apples to oranges.

You're right.  Gene Smith's W-L record as a GM is actually better than Caldwell's.  That is unfair to Gene.   Laughing

(10-12-2020, 02:18 PM)NeptuneBeachBum Wrote:
(10-12-2020, 01:37 PM)Minshew Mania Wrote: It would be if I was one of them. Which I wasn't.

You're right.  Gene Smith's W-L record as a GM is actually better than Caldwell's.  That is unfair to Gene.   Laughing

Well as silly as it is comparing who is better at this point...how many Pro Bowlers did Smith ever draft?

Do you think that might have played a role in Caldwell's early losses?

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(This post was last modified: 10-12-2020, 02:39 PM by NeptuneBeachBum.)

(10-12-2020, 02:23 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(10-12-2020, 02:18 PM)NeptuneBeachBum Wrote: You're right.  Gene Smith's W-L record as a GM is actually better than Caldwell's.  That is unfair to Gene.   Laughing

Well as silly as it is comparing who is better at this point...how many Pro Bowlers did Smith ever draft?

Do you think that might have played a role in Caldwell's early losses?

Obviously was meant as a joke.  Gene Smith was the worst GM in the history of professional sports.

But what is not a joke is Caldwell is not much better.  I could care less about how many or few Pro Bowlers we have had.  That is not a GM's job... his job is to get WINS.  And Caldwell's W-L record cannot be defended.

(10-12-2020, 02:18 PM)NeptuneBeachBum Wrote:
(10-12-2020, 01:37 PM)Minshew Mania Wrote: It would be if I was one of them. Which I wasn't.

Gene Smith's W-L record as a GM is actually better than Caldwell's. 

He only notched like 22 wins, with most of those coming from the Shack leftovers, so you must mean %.

I'm not here to defend Caldwell but Gene Smith was laughable as GM. After 2009 he never had a single "good" pick. And even 2009 was pretty hit and miss.
Honestly Caldwell is a better GM than Smith was. But the results aren't better for a myriad of reasons (one of them being 4 more years on the job for 4 more years of mistakes).

Really not sure why Khan didn't totally clean house last offseason but it sure does look like the ship is sinking instead of being righted.