Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Taven Bryan - Another first round bust on this Regime's Resume!

(10-12-2020, 02:37 PM)NeptuneBeachBum Wrote:
(10-12-2020, 02:35 PM)Kane Wrote: He only notched like 22 wins, with most of those coming from the Shack leftovers, so you must mean %.

I'm not here to defend Caldwell but Gene Smith was laughable as GM. After 2009 he never had a single "good" pick. And even 2009 was pretty hit and miss.
Honestly Caldwell is a better GM than Smith was. But the results aren't better for a myriad of reasons (one of them being 4 more years on the job for 4 more years of mistakes).

Really not sure why Khan didn't totally clean house last offseason but it sure does look like the ship is sinking instead of being righted.

Yes, I meant winning percentage.  But even then, I was joking.  See my post right above yours.

Got it. 
I'm really not sure that our entire problem is all personnel as much as it is approach. 
We've had quite a few talented drafted players since Caldwell has been GM. It's just that there is either so much youth and inexperience or experience with a limited window for opportunity. Then the wrong guys are kept and the wrong ones let go and too much dipping in free agency. Missing on QBs and having poor coach staffs doesn't help either.

I still contend that generally speaking he hasn't been as bad as some say but he probably won't be missed when he's gone. Unless the next GM is more Gene Smith lol.
I mean, drafting a punter in the 3rd was just about the worst move I've ever seen, don't think any one can live that down.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 10-12-2020, 03:03 PM by NeptuneBeachBum.)

(10-12-2020, 02:45 PM)Kane Wrote:
(10-12-2020, 02:37 PM)NeptuneBeachBum Wrote: Yes, I meant winning percentage.  But even then, I was joking.  See my post right above yours.

Got it. 
I'm really not sure that our entire problem is all personnel as much as it is approach. 
We've had quite a few talented drafted players since Caldwell has been GM. It's just that there is either so much youth and inexperience or experience with a limited window for opportunity. Then the wrong guys are kept and the wrong ones let go and too much dipping in free agency. Missing on QBs and having poor coach staffs doesn't help either.

I still contend that generally speaking he hasn't been as bad as some say but he probably won't be missed when he's gone. Unless the next GM is more Gene Smith lol.
I mean, drafting a punter in the 3rd was just about the worst move I've ever seen, don't think any one can live that down.

The punter might have been Gene's best pick!  At least he is still playing!  lmao

You can say its personnel, or coaching, or approach, or whatever.  And we can argue the nuances of all that.  Bottom line is... its not working.  And that ultimately is the responsibility of the GM who oversees the entire football operations: acquires the players, recommends the coaching hires, oversees the the support staff, sets the culture, etc.  You can apologize for him however you like... but he is responsible for the 37-80 record he has had over the last 8 years.  Not good enough.  Time to move on.
This is a results-oriented business.  There are no trophies or titles given for "moral victories" or for "winning the draft".  Our record with DC is 37-86.  6-10 is our 2nd best season in 8 years of Caldwell leadership.  These are the FACTS.

(10-12-2020, 03:02 PM)NeptuneBeachBum Wrote:
(10-12-2020, 02:45 PM)Kane Wrote: Got it. 

The punter might have been Gene's best pick!  At least he is still playing!  lmao

You can say its personnel, or coaching, or approach, or whatever.  And we can argue the nuances of all that.  Bottom line is... its not working.  And that ultimately is the responsibility of the GM who oversees the entire football operations: acquires the players, recommends the coaching hires, oversees the the support staff, sets the culture, etc.  You can apologize for him however you like... but he is responsible for the 37-80 record he has had over the last 8 years.  Not good enough.  Time to move on.

I don't think it is apologetic at all to say "he's had some good picks". That's just being honest. I can say both things "he hasn't been that bad" and "he hasn't been good enough" and both be true.
I think saying his approach very much hurt isn't apologetic at all, it's actually quite critical. I just think you can be critical without hyperbole. The record is a team record. But yes ultimately every decision from approach, to coach, to personnel is on the GM.
And I agree (and I think I've agreed in multiple threads) it is time to move on. It was time last year. Coughlin, Caldwell, and Doug should have all been gone.

(This post was last modified: 10-12-2020, 03:23 PM by Minshew Mania.)

(10-12-2020, 02:34 PM)NeptuneBeachBum Wrote:
(10-12-2020, 02:23 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Well as silly as it is comparing who is better at this point...how many Pro Bowlers did Smith ever draft?

Do you think that might have played a role in Caldwell's early losses?

Obviously was meant as a joke.  Gene Smith was the worst GM in the history of professional sports.

But what is not a joke is Caldwell is not much better.  I could care less about how many or few Pro Bowlers we have had.  That is not a GM's job... his job is to get WINS.  And Caldwell's W-L record cannot be defended.

A GM's job is to put the coaching staff in a position to get wins. Now this may seem like nitpicking, but it brings up an interesting question.

I said it before, I'll say it again, I don't really care if Caldwell gets fired. All I'm saying is that he's not God awful as a GM. It's much more complicated than that. You may not think it matters, fair enough. It'll be easier to do worse than Caldwell than it will be to do better. And i'll elaborate on that point to say that it's not an excuse not to try to do better.. but really who are we trusting to make that hire? Either way, he's likely getting next year too so brace yourself. I'd be surprised if Khan cleans house this season, maybe if we lose out completely, which is possible. We'll see.

(This post was last modified: 10-12-2020, 03:32 PM by NeptuneBeachBum.)

(10-12-2020, 03:20 PM)Minshew Mania Wrote:
(10-12-2020, 02:34 PM)NeptuneBeachBum Wrote: Obviously was meant as a joke.  Gene Smith was the worst GM in the history of professional sports.

But what is not a joke is Caldwell is not much better.  I could care less about how many or few Pro Bowlers we have had.  That is not a GM's job... his job is to get WINS.  And Caldwell's W-L record cannot be defended.

A GM's job is to put the coaching staff in a position to get wins. Now this may seem like nitpicking, but it brings up an interesting question.

I said it before, I'll say it again, I don't really care if Caldwell gets fired. All I'm saying is that he's not God awful as a GM. It's much more complicated than that. You may not think it matters, fair enough. It'll be easier to do worse than Caldwell than it will be to do better. And i'll elaborate on that point to say that it's not an excuse not to try to do better.. but really who are we trusting to make that hire? Either way, he's likely getting next year too so brace yourself. I'd be surprised if Khan cleans house this season, maybe if we lose out completely, which is possible. We'll see.

Yes, he is God awful.  He is responsible for football operations (including coaching) and no other GM has a worse W-L record than he has had in the last 8 years.  You can try to give him style points or excuses wherever you want, but as Bill Parcells said "you are what your record says you are".  Caldwell is currently the worst GM in the NFL by that metric; the only metric that really matters. People who have accomplished much more than he has have already been fired this season (see Atlanta and Houston).
This is a results-oriented business.  There are no trophies or titles given for "moral victories" or for "winning the draft".  Our record with DC is 37-86.  6-10 is our 2nd best season in 8 years of Caldwell leadership.  These are the FACTS.

"Taven Bryan is having one heck of a camp,”

(This post was last modified: 06-15-2021, 04:33 PM by Jag88.)

A lot of people here have written him off and that's understandable, but let's be honest. He hasn't had that great of coaching since he was drafted and except for the first season, he was surrounded by a horrible defensive. Hopefully he's a good surprise.

Who knows? Maybe this coaching staff and a switch to the 3-4 DE spot will just suit him better.
I'm glad he's got plenty of competition around him in case that doesn't prove true.

No pads = irrelevant "heck of a camp" analysis.

Best shape of my life, best camp of my life, having a great camp, just want to win football games, etc

None of this talk matters.

GM’s are tied to their QBs. A good QB will make a coach and a GM and an entire team look good. You can pick all the Myles Jacks and Jalen Ramsey’s you want but it’s a QB driven league.

Sometimes a change of coaching staff can do wonders on a player's psyche and performance, just like a change of scenery..

This has to be his last shot. Hope he makes it count..

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

'Taven is a dangerous combination of speed and power.' - Coach Lupoi said this today during the press conference.

(06-16-2021, 12:47 PM)CanDoBetter Wrote: 'Taven is a dangerous combination of speed and power.' - Coach Lupoi said this today during the press conference.

After when he thought the mike was turned off he was heard to be wispering...  'Maroney Balogney really couldn't coach a player through a wet paper bag'
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

They said similar things last year so I wouldn't hold my breath but it would be a fun story if it was bad coaching holding him back.

(06-16-2021, 12:59 PM)CanDoBetter Wrote: They said similar things last year so I wouldn't hold my breath but it would be a fun story if it was bad coaching holding him back.

Most likely not the coaching but it'll be interesting to see how it plays out. They do like him apparently.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(06-16-2021, 12:47 PM)CanDoBetter Wrote: 'Taven is a dangerous combination of speed and power.' - Coach Lupoi said this today during the press conference.

He is that for sure. Unfortunately, he is also a dangerous combination of overaggressiveness and low football IQ.

(06-16-2021, 01:35 PM)Upper Wrote:

He is that for sure. Unfortunately, he is also a dangerous combination of overaggressiveness and low football IQ.

Taven has the speed and power to get into the backfield, but then he's like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bs-Q0JmWjj0

Gabbert always looked great in camp as well.

Charles Sharon anyone? Chad Owens. John Brussard. These guys were camp legends.

Hey coach, let’s talk about Taven once the pads go on. And in the preseason games. He’s on the bubble and the coaches are trying to raise his value. But it ain’t gonna work.