Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
If Lawrence, Sewell, and Fields are not there...

In what direction are you going with our top draft picks? A couple of players I would consider if we're still in the top 5 but without those three prospects are:

- Patrick Surtain II, CB, Alabama
- Gregory Rousseau, DE, Miami
- Carlos Basham Jr, DE, Wake Forest
- Kyle Pitts, TE, Florida (crazy to think about a TE in the top 5 but I highly doubt he will make it to our second 1st rnd pick)
- Creed Humphrey, OG, Oklahoma

Obviously this scenario would be very disappointing, as I believe Trevor Lawrence and Justin Fields can both become true franchise QBs in the NFL. I'm not a fan of Trey Lance coming out as a QB prospect who can fit that role either.

Who are your selections in this scenario that could easily occur?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

If Lawrence or Sewell are not available when we pick, I immediately get on the phone and work to trade down. If we could trade down a few spots and and add a 2022 first round pick, that would give us two first rounders for the 2022 draft and maybe we could get a QB then. In the meantime, I fix the defense. I focus on Carlos Basham and Jaylen Twyman in the first round. Our pass rush is pathetic and adding a big DE and DT who can get after the QB would go a long way towards repairing the defense. I then focus on CB and Safety in round 2 and see what is available from then on. This draft looks like it could be pretty deep at the Safety position, which is rare. God knows, that is a huge area of need for us as well.

If we don't get a QB in the 2021 draft, I'm not panicking. This team is soooooo bad, it'll take at least 3-4 years to make us competitive anyway. Let's get the best available players and fill needs. QB is a key piece, but I wanna get the right one. We cannot afford to draft another Gabbert or Bortles and reaching for a guy in round 1 would set us back even further. The only "sure" looking QB in this next draft is Lawrence. If we miss out on him, I'm all for filling other needs and maybe taking a chance on Trask or even Mac Jones in the 2nd or 3rd rounds, depending on where they fall. We have to get elite talent in round 1 though, no matter what the position is. We have needs at almost every position.

(This post was last modified: 10-19-2020, 02:17 PM by Kane.)

Well... we haven't seen the full college season and I'd like to see how some other QBs do... With the recent emergence of Sidney Jones I'm thinking CB in top 10 might not be necessary. Maybe whoever the 2nd best OL guy is (either LT or OG). Maybe best pass rusher (either from end or a 3 tech DT).

And really if Pitts continues to ball I wouldn't be mad at selecting him top 5. I think his blocking has improved enough and his skills as a receiver would make it worth it.

It's Lance if whoever the new GM is deems him as being franchise QB quality. If not then it's probably Rousseau for me.

Not high on Surtain or Rousseau or Basham at those picks at all. But if push came to shove Rousseau

Lance or Chase

To early, a star will emerge

QB or a big man

At the moment the offense is young and shows some promise. Or at least it is competitive. I would look to build on a strength and put the majority of our draft capital on that side of the ball and make at least one part of our team strong.
If we cannot secure a QB, I would rather add an elite weapon like Chase or even Pitts, ideally in a small trade down for someone in need of a pass rusher. I also wouldn't complain about a great offensive lineman there, but I have never been good at evaluating them so I won't bother listing prospects.

I would look to patch the defense in free agency or if clear BAP falls to us in the draft. Consider all of the draft picks we made on defense this past year. They may grow into great picks, but only a couple are making a real impact in year one. At the same time we are seeing immediate impact from Shenault, Robinson, and even Johnson to some extent.

In short, I would live with another year of poor defense and try to win shoot outs.

At this point, if Fields is rated high enough, I don't see us missing out on all 3 of those players.

If we somehow land around 4 or 5 (we won't) I could see taking Pitts even though that's high for a TE, but he's essentially an elite receiving prospect with very good blocking capabilities.

Hopefully, somehow we can trade down though if we're in that area.
https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/202...ikkema-2.0

This mock has us at 5 and then trading back getting Pitts, Jaycee Horn, and then trading back into round one for Mac Jones. However if we netted this exact trade scenario I'd be more inclined to go Pitts(13), Tufele(23), and then Trask or Jones(26).

Wouldn’t pick a QB unless it’s Lawrence.

(10-29-2020, 10:18 AM)Talented Kalamari Wrote: Wouldn’t pick a QB unless it’s Lawrence.

Like at all in the whole draft?

Ehhh barring something special from Minshew the last half of the season, it's time to get a guy.
Minshew is a very good back up to have. But if I can get Fields, Trask, Jones, or Wilson, especially on of the last 3 at the top of 2, I'm pulling the trigger.

Lance, Chase, Wilson, Trask
Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.

(10-29-2020, 09:43 AM)Kane Wrote: At this point, if Fields is rated high enough, I don't see us missing out on all 3 of those players.

If we somehow land around 4 or 5 (we won't) I could see taking Pitts even though that's high for a TE, but he's essentially an elite receiving prospect with very good blocking capabilities.

This mock has us at 5 and then trading back getting Pitts, Jaycee Horn, and then trading back into round one for Mac Jones. However if we netted this exact trade scenario I'd be more inclined to go Pitts(13), Tufele(23), and then Trask or Jones(26).

Blocking is one of Pitts big flaws. Not that I wouldn't take him round 1 because of it

(10-30-2020, 11:23 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(10-29-2020, 09:43 AM)Kane Wrote: At this point, if Fields is rated high enough, I don't see us missing out on all 3 of those players.

Blocking is one of Pitts big flaws. Not that I wouldn't take him round 1 because of it

He wasn't a good blocker in previous years but he went to work on that area in the off season and is much better at it now. It may be his "weakness" as a draft selection but he has gotten better in the small sample of 2020 so far.