Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Draft talk based on Two round draft pick watcher thread

I'm not sure, but I'd bet that Mayfield has played at least as many snaps as Sewell has this season.

EDIT: He missed two games due to the ankle but people say he looked quite good prior to that, and I see some draftniks saying he's a top 50 player with upside to go in the 1st. I'm not scared of the position switch, and I also think we need a RT anyway. Shutting down Chase Young and universally being seen as a top athlete is likely good enough for me.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(11-25-2020, 12:49 AM)Upper Wrote: I'm not sure, but I'd bet that Mayfield has played at least as many snaps as Sewell has this season.

EDIT: He missed two games due to the ankle but people say he looked quite good prior to that, and I see some draftniks saying he's a top 50 player with upside to go in the 1st. I'm not scared of the position switch, and I also think we need a RT anyway. Shutting down Chase Young and universally being seen as a top athlete is likely good enough for me.

I definitely think we need a new RT. Jawaan Taylor has looked like hot garbage and hated it when we picked him. With that said, I highly doubt the team gives up on him that quickly. Although, you never know what a new coaching staff might decide to do.

(11-24-2020, 11:22 PM)Upper Wrote:
(11-24-2020, 02:53 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Personally, I'm not high at all on this OT class. I love Sewell and Liam Eichenberg of Notre Dame. I think those two are plug and play OT's, but the rest of the class are all projects with several issues that need to be worked out before they see an NFL game.

I know you hate guys that try to switch sides (hopefully Wills doing well will help change your mind), but I hear good things about Mayfield. He won his matchup vs Chase Young and people think he will have the athleticism to play LT very well.

Becton is a monster and the best rookie tackle by a good margin.  He is already mauling people

Who said anything about Becton?

There's been a lot of talk about Vera-Tucker the last couple of weeks too. People really like him.

Slater is very good, but Northwestern lists him at 6'3", which means he's more likely 6'2" and some change. That means he's gonna have to kick inside to OG or Center and that already knocks down his value. I'm certainly not bashing Slater for his play. I have him as my top rated OG. I'm just saying that you can get away with playing an undersized OT in college, but that is not gonna work in the NFL. I can certainly see Slater being an excellent NFL OG though. If we did decide to draft an eventual replacement for Norwell, Slater would be my first choice by quite a large margin.

DJ also said that he thinks Slater can play anywhere on the OL, all 5 positions.

Do you think Chase Young is too undersized and not any good? Is he not NFL caliber? Because Slater handled him in that game just fine and gave Young all he could handle. I'd say that's pretty impressive for somebody who's suppose to be too small to play OT. He might not be 6'5+, but how do we know he doesn't have long arms for his height? Longer arms would certainly make up for being 1-2 inches shorter than your typical OT height.

All I can tell you is that Chase Young is a rookie and is far from being an elite NFL pass rusher right now. Slater would have to face truly elite DE's in the NFL. Charles Leno is currently the only starting NFL LT that is under 6'4" and he gets whooped on the regular. It's to the point that Bears fans consider LT their biggest need after QB. I've personally never seen a modern day NFL OT that short have much success in the NFL and I consider using a high round pick on Slater to play him exclusively at LT, way too risky. Now, if you draft him high to play him at OG, that's a completely different story. I believe he could find great success on the inside.

(This post was last modified: 11-28-2020, 12:49 AM by Eric1.)

Yea but at this point, all you can do is look at him vs players he went against in College. I don't think you'll find anybody who will say Young was/is some slouch.

The point is, sometimes people get too caught up in measurables. If you can play, you can play, regardless of how big or small you are. Size isn't the end all, be all, as we continue to see all over the league. There were days where if you weren't 6'3++ as a QB, you had no business playing in the NFL and would hardly get a look. As we can see, that's certainly not the case and was bad thinking. Of course bigger is better in most cases, but if a dude can play, that's all the matters.

Kelvin Beachum is still in the league (currently RT for the Cardinals) and hes played a lot of football in the NFL. Most of it at LT and he's under 6'3. In today's NFL LT and RT aren't a whole lot different considering pass rushers will rush from both sides all game long.

(11-28-2020, 12:44 AM)Eric1 Wrote:
(11-28-2020, 12:10 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: All I can tell you is that Chase Young is a rookie and is far from being an elite NFL pass rusher right now. Slater would have to face truly elite DE's in the NFL. Charles Leno is currently the only starting NFL LT that is under 6'4" and he gets whooped on the regular. It's to the point that Bears fans consider LT their biggest need after QB. I've personally never seen a modern day NFL OT that short have much success in the NFL and I consider using a high round pick on Slater to play him exclusively at LT, way too risky. Now, if you draft him high to play him at OG, that's a completely different story. I believe he could find great success on the inside.

Yea but at this point, all you can do is look at him vs players he went against in College. I don't think you'll find anybody who will say Young was/is some slouch.

The point is, sometimes people get too caught up in measurables. If you can play, you can play, regardless of how big or small you are. Size isn't the end all, be all, as we continue to see all over the league. There were days where if you weren't 6'3++ as a QB, you had no business playing in the NFL and would hardly get a look. As we can see, that's certainly not the case and was bad thinking. Of course bigger is better in most cases, but if a dude can play, that's all the matters.

Kelvin Beachum is still in the league (currently RT for the Cardinals) and hes played a lot of football in the NFL. Most of it at LT and he's under 6'3. In today's NFL LT and RT aren't a whole lot different considering pass rushers will rush from both sides all game long.

Personally, I think it is, at some positions and OT is one. Yes, Kelvin Beachum has had a fairly long career, but he really hasn't stuck anywhere. Since he was drafted in 2012, he's been with 4 NFL teams and they always seem to want to replace him after a couple of years. I want someone who we can plug and play long term. I just think OT's need to be at least 6'4" in today's NFL. He's gonna be facing some very big DE's in the NFL. 

I have the same rule about CB's. Today's receivers are getting bigger, faster and more athletic. I have a hard rule that I don't even put CB's on my draft board that are under 5'10" and even at that height, I really need to have overwhelming proof that they are NFL ready. That means they have to run extra fast, be extra physical and have a really good vertical leap to catch contested passes in order to make up for their height. Remember, they will be facing NFL receivers that are consistently over 6' all the way up to 6'6". At 5'10" that's a serious height difference to make up.

(12-14-2020, 12:47 AM)newporttom Wrote: Well another week. Another loss.  Rams win, Viking lose.

Jags #1 - #2
Rams #1 - #26
Jags #2 - #34
Vikings #2 - 46

Jags #3 - #66

A lot of the 3 win teams won taking them to 4 wins.  4 wins in the best we can do.  Those teams all hold the advantage over us because of strength of schedule. But with Philly's win the worst they can be is 4-11-1, so our absolute worst pick is number 8.

Any loss in the rest of the season (3 games), means the worst pick we can have is #3

Unfortunately, if we don't get the right QB, none of these picks are gonna matter.

(12-14-2020, 12:13 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(12-14-2020, 12:47 AM)newporttom Wrote: Well another week. Another loss.  Rams win, Viking lose.

Jags #1 - #2
Rams #1 - #26
Jags #2 - #34
Vikings #2 - 46

Jags #3 - #66

A lot of the 3 win teams won taking them to 4 wins.  4 wins in the best we can do.  Those teams all hold the advantage over us because of strength of schedule. But with Philly's win the worst they can be is 4-11-1, so our absolute worst pick is number 8.

Any loss in the rest of the season (3 games), means the worst pick we can have is #3

Unfortunately, if we don't get the right QB, none of these picks are gonna matter.

And if we do, then all will be fine. We can think this or think that, but we won't know until time has passed.

Time to get up out of the doldrums of mediocrity and change the way we approach the future. No need to stay stuck in an eternal loop of sadness.

Trevor freakin Lawrence.
Respect the game.  Play with a sense of urgency. 

1.)  Take care of the ball.  Win the turnover battle.

2.)  It's all about 3rd down.  Win on 3rd down to win the game.

3.) Playmakers make plays.  The only reason that you put your uniform on is to make plays. In order to EARN your paycheck, you must make plays.  

I can feel things again

(12-26-2020, 02:38 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: https://twitter.com/IrishJaguar/status/1...18405?s=19

Let's pray we don't screw them up, like we did in the last draft.

(12-14-2020, 12:13 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:

Jags #1 - #2
Rams #1 - #26
Jags #2 - #34
Vikings #2 - 46

Jags #3 - #66

Unfortunately, if we don't get the right QB GM, none of these picks are gonna matter.

General Manager.

(12-27-2020, 07:48 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(12-14-2020, 12:13 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Unfortunately, if we don't get the right QB GM, none of these picks are gonna matter.

General Manager.

GM/coach/ QB.   They all go together, we need all 3

(12-27-2020, 12:37 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(12-27-2020, 07:48 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: General Manager.

GM/coach/ QB.   They all go together, we need all 3

The GM hires the coach and selects the QB.  So it all starts with the GM.

(12-27-2020, 12:46 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(12-27-2020, 12:37 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: GM/coach/ QB.   They all go together, we need all 3

The GM hires the coach and selects the QB.  So it all starts with the GM.

It starts with the owner, he needs to find the right GM.  But we still need a 3 anyway you want to shake it