Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Draft talk based on Two round draft pick watcher thread

(11-09-2020, 03:24 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(11-09-2020, 03:05 PM)Kane Wrote: The draft will take care of itself...

I mean... getting #1 overall and being guaranteed the best QB in the draft is nice.
But there are other paths to digging this franchise out of the cellar.

Including getting a franchise LT at 2 and getting another QB that could be great as well later on (be it trading up or sitting tight at 20 ish)

I swear this fan base think Trevor Lawrence is coming in here and instantly making us a 10 win team without fixing about 10 other things is laughable. And this mind set that if we don't get Lawrence all is lost for the next 10 years is a loser's mentality.
IF there's a new GM/HC in town... hopefully they maneuver this draft correctly no matter where we select and we end up with a better team period. I for one won't be jumping off the nearest bridge or building if we miss out on being the absolute worst team in the NFL this year just for a shot at a particular QB.

Agreed. No matter who we get, we're at least 3 years away from being a playoff team. We have a ton of holes to fill and our early round picks from this past draft have been stinking up the place. We need to draft BAP, period! If we don't get Lawrence, we take the BAP (OT Penei Sewell) and I'm thrilled. We then look to our next pick and take the BAP there as well. We can't just force a QB into a slot they don't fit in. That's how we ended up with C.J. Henderson. We needed a CB, so we drafted one ahead of much more talented players at other positions. We drafted for need instead of taking the BAP and we got burned.

CJ Henderson was drafted because they thought he was more valuable than the other players at that spot and we needed a corner. It's not one or the other but rather a combination of both factors

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(11-09-2020, 03:05 PM)Kane Wrote:
(11-09-2020, 02:14 PM)Mikey Wrote: If we win, though, a Jets win means diddly-poo, if I might borrow from coach Mora.

The draft will take care of itself...

I mean... getting #1 overall and being guaranteed the best QB in the draft is nice.

Including getting a franchise LT at 2 and getting another QB that could be great as well later on (be it trading up or sitting tight at 20 ish)

I swear this fan base think Trevor Lawrence is coming in here and instantly making us a 10 win team without fixing about 10 other things is laughable. And this mind set that if we don't get Lawrence all is lost for the next 10 years is a loser's mentality.
IF there's a new GM/HC in town... hopefully they maneuver this draft correctly no matter where we select and we end up with a better team period. I for one won't be jumping off the nearest bridge or building if we miss out on being the absolute worst team in the NFL this year just for a shot at a particular QB.

I never said any of that, just pointed out that worrying about the Jets getting a win means nothing if we're sitting on 3 wins.

I personally don't know that Trevor is the be-all, end-all QB he's being hyped as. I'm not looking to tank for any one player. But if playoffs are out of the picture (and boy howdy they are), I don't want a dumb win or three putting us in the no man's land of mid-first darfting. If we are rebuilding, I want to get as close to the front of the line as possible before all the good materials are gone. So yeah, I cheered when the two point conversion failed. I shook my head at the Jets failing to close out the win last night. Sure they or any other team in front of us might pick the next Jamarcus Russell, but I'd rather not put that much hope in someone else's incompetence. Chances are they're not going to make that mistake.

(This post was last modified: 11-10-2020, 11:35 AM by Kane.)

(11-09-2020, 03:24 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:

Agreed. No matter who we get, we're at least 3 years away from being a playoff team. We have a ton of holes to fill and our early round picks from this past draft have been stinking up the place. We need to draft BAP, period! If we don't get Lawrence, we take the BAP (OT Penei Sewell) and I'm thrilled. We then look to our next pick and take the BAP there as well. We can't just force a QB into a slot they don't fit in. That's how we ended up with C.J. Henderson. We needed a CB, so we drafted one ahead of much more talented players at other positions. We drafted for need instead of taking the BAP and we got burned.

Henderson is a rookie. I know you hated the pick but we didn't get "burned". He looked really good in week one and has regressed a bit I'll admit. But it's far too early to claim anything about him one way or the other right now, especially with a DL that gets no real pressure and safeties that are absolute trash. In reality Henderson is probably our 3rd best player on the field after Allen and Jack. Now the Chaisson pick probably could have been better spent. (Jefferson perhaps, like what Viska brings but he's really good and we could have used that 2nd on Winfield) But hindsight and all that. 

But yeah, I wouldn't be mad getting Sewell and then moving around a bit with that 2nd first round pick, maybe up for Pitts or perhaps grabbing a Wilson, Trask or Jones at 20ish... or moving back and getting more picks.
We need a new 3T, 2 safeties, and a tight end. Not to mention the QB and LT (Robinson likely leaving in FA and hasn't been good enough to pay to keep).

I don't think we're 3 years out from playoffs though. With our draft capital and good cap situation, I really think we could be a playoff team in 2022 with the right draft and free agency moves.

(11-10-2020, 09:32 AM)Mikey Wrote:

I never said any of that, just pointed out that worrying about the Jets getting a win means nothing if we're sitting on 3 wins.

I personally don't know that Trevor is the be-all, end-all QB he's being hyped as. I'm not looking to tank for any one player. But if playoffs are out of the picture (and boy howdy they are), I don't want a dumb win or three putting us in the no man's land of mid-first darfting. If we are rebuilding, I want to get as close to the front of the line as possible before all the good materials are gone. So yeah, I cheered when the two point conversion failed. I shook my head at the Jets failing to close out the win last night. Sure they or any other team in front of us might pick the next Jamarcus Russell, but I'd rather not put that much hope in someone else's incompetence. Chances are they're not going to make that mistake.

The last part wasn't meant to be directly to you. Just the first part about the draft taking care of itself. The second part was a comment on the theme of the board and this thread in general.
Honestly, if the Jets win and we get #1 overall, great. If we win 3 or 4 games, I'm not gonna be mad about the idea that our roster is slightly better than pure suckage. It means there is perhaps a little less work for the new regime to do to get us back to winning football. And if we miss out on Lawrence maybe the next coach staff can take a guy like Fields, Trask, or whoever and make them a good NFL QB. I mean... there are tons of examples of guys not being drafted #1 overall becoming good or even great QBs. Lots of posters here are sky screamers when it comes to Lawrence and it's annoying.

(11-22-2020, 07:11 PM)jaglou53 Wrote:
(11-22-2020, 05:38 PM)MJonesD_32 Wrote: The Jets wont win a game... they're worse then us. imagine thinking we can win another one.... but with a worse team then what we have. Yeah... that's the Jets.

J. Fields it is.

How can a team win only 1 game and not get the number 1 pick? Is our team truly cursed? If things turn out as they currently appear (touchdown Keenan Allen), I will be convinced they are cursed. To cap it off, they will draft the wrong quarterback with their 1st pick. How much more can we take?

Thats my fear, pass on elite talent and take the wrong QB.  Double whammy

(11-22-2020, 07:14 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(11-22-2020, 07:11 PM)jaglou53 Wrote: How can a team win only 1 game and not get the number 1 pick? Is our team truly cursed? If things turn out as they currently appear (touchdown Keenan Allen), I will be convinced they are cursed. To cap it off, they will draft the wrong quarterback with their 1st pick. How much more can we take?

Thats my fear, pass on elite talent and take the wrong QB.  Double whammy

As it stands now, they may be wise to take Sewell with the first pick. There are legitimate question-marks with Fields, Wilson, Trask and Jones. Plus, Cam Robinson has not played well enough to be given a new contract. As far as next season's quarterback, they may like Jones or Trask enough to take them with the pick from the Rams; Fields and Wilson will be gone and Lance isn't worth a first rounder. The only other option would be to give up a 2nd rounder for Sam Darnold if they believe his career could be rejuvenated with a change of scenery. If none of those options are viable to the new brass (that's a given at this point), we're likely to give Minshew another year as the starter. If this is what happens, they better draft a road grading guard like Trey Smith and hope defenses will key enough on Robinson to open up the passing game.

(This post was last modified: 11-22-2020, 09:35 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(11-22-2020, 09:20 PM)jaglou53 Wrote:
(11-22-2020, 07:14 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Thats my fear, pass on elite talent and take the wrong QB.  Double whammy

As it stands now, they may be wise to take Sewell with the first pick. There are legitimate question-marks with Fields, Wilson, Trask and Jones. Plus, Cam Robinson has not played well enough to be given a new contract. As far as next season's quarterback, they may like Jones or Trask enough to take them with the pick from the Rams; Fields and Wilson will be gone and Lance isn't worth a first rounder. The only other option would be to give up a 2nd rounder for Sam Darnold if they believe his career could be rejuvenated with a change of scenery. If none of those options are viable to the new brass (that's a given at this point), we're likely to give Minshew another year as the starter. If this is what happens, they better draft a road grading guard like Trey Smith and hope defenses will key enough on Robinson to open up the passing game.

Would love Sewell

(11-22-2020, 09:20 PM)jaglou53 Wrote:
(11-22-2020, 07:14 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Thats my fear, pass on elite talent and take the wrong QB.  Double whammy

Agree 1000%. To be honest, I'm not even 100% on Lawrence, but I'm high enough on him that I see he is by far, the best QB prospect in this draft. With him gone, it would be wise to take a cornerstone LT to protect the future franchise QB, when he is drafted.

The main reason I want Sewell if Lawrence is gone is because he is the best LT prospect since Joe Thomas and possibly even Orlando Pace, dude had a vote for the Heisman. We have been passing on blue chip players for years and you dont pass up guys like that

(11-23-2020, 06:27 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: The main reason I want Sewell if Lawrence is gone is because he is the best LT prospect since Joe Thomas and possibly even Orlando Pace, dude had a vote for the Heisman.  We have been passing on blue chip players for years and you dont pass up guys like that

Amen! We've been passing up great players in order to fill needs and look where we are.

(11-23-2020, 06:59 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(11-23-2020, 06:27 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: The main reason I want Sewell if Lawrence is gone is because he is the best LT prospect since Joe Thomas and possibly even Orlando Pace, dude had a vote for the Heisman.  We have been passing on blue chip players for years and you dont pass up guys like that

Amen! We've been passing up great players in order to fill needs and look where we are.

Exactly

(11-23-2020, 06:59 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:

Flawed premise because you are stuck in a dated mindset that hates when a QB can move as well as throw. Damn near everyone else on the planet thinks Fields at 2 is taking a great player also. I say damn near everyone else because we have the gator homers, as also clearly evidenced around here. Go talk to virtually any other expert or even fans of other teams and they would flat out laugh in your face for suggesting the Jags wind up with the #2 pick and don't take Fields.

(11-23-2020, 09:39 PM)Upper Wrote:
(11-23-2020, 06:59 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Amen! We've been passing up great players in order to fill needs and look where we are.

Flawed premise because you are stuck in a dated mindset that hates when a QB can move as well as throw. Damn near everyone else on the planet thinks Fields at 2 is taking a great player also. I say damn near everyone else because we have the gator homers, as also clearly evidenced around here. Go talk to virtually any other expert or even fans of other teams and they would flat out laugh in your face for suggesting the Jags wind up with the #2 pick and don't take Fields.

I don't care what other people think. I form my own opinions like an independent thinker should. I'm not gonna just go along with the crowd, if that's not what I believe. Sewell is the safest pick in the draft and he just so happens to fills a huge need. For me, that is an obvious choice. The flawed idea is that we reach for a need. Caldwell has done that time and time again and we are always at the bottom of the league.

(11-24-2020, 01:00 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(11-23-2020, 09:39 PM)Upper Wrote: Flawed premise because you are stuck in a dated mindset that hates when a QB can move as well as throw. Damn near everyone else on the planet thinks Fields at 2 is taking a great player also. I say damn near everyone else because we have the gator homers, as also clearly evidenced around here. Go talk to virtually any other expert or even fans of other teams and they would flat out laugh in your face for suggesting the Jags wind up with the #2 pick and don't take Fields.

I don't care what other people think. I form my own opinions like an independent thinker should. I'm not gonna just go along with the crowd, if that's not what I believe. Sewell is the safest pick in the draft and he just so happens to fills a huge need. For me, that is an obvious choice. The flawed idea is that we reach for a need. Caldwell has done that time and time again and we are always at the bottom of the league.

What if Sewell ends up like an Eric Fisher or Luke Joeckel type of "safe" pick?

Not saying he will, or won't, but nobody ever knows. 

I feel like this draft is deep at the OT position and a quality starter could be found with our other picks but the talent drop off from Lawrence/Fields to the other QBs is steep in my opinion.

(This post was last modified: 11-24-2020, 02:55 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(11-24-2020, 02:21 PM)enigma Wrote:
(11-24-2020, 01:00 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I don't care what other people think. I form my own opinions like an independent thinker should. I'm not gonna just go along with the crowd, if that's not what I believe. Sewell is the safest pick in the draft and he just so happens to fills a huge need. For me, that is an obvious choice. The flawed idea is that we reach for a need. Caldwell has done that time and time again and we are always at the bottom of the league.

What if Sewell ends up like an Eric Fisher or Luke Joeckel type of "safe" pick?

I feel like this draft is deep at the OT position and a quality starter could be found with our other picks but the talent drop off from Lawrence/Fields to the other QBs is steep in my opinion.

Eric Fisher has been a solid starter at LT for the Chiefs for the last 8 years and helped them win a Superbowl. He's protected Pat Mahomes blindside and helped the QB to thrive. He may be one of the most underrated players in the NFL at this point in his career. Yes, he started out on shaky ground as many NFL players do, but he improved every season and is now one of the most reliable blindside protectors in the entire NFL. He also was not nearly as highly regarded as Sewell currently is. In fact, people were so split on which OT to take, that there was no consensus. It was considered to be one of the weakest drafts in years and people were just grasping at straws, because there were no standout players. Just look at that entire first round. DeAndre Hopkins ended up being the biggest star and he was chosen #27. Out of the first 10 picks in that draft, Fisher and Lane Johnson were the best selections. Ezekial Ansah has had a decent career, but has only reached double digit sacks on two occasions and the rest were just "guys." Sewell is considered a generational talent is what is currently, a pretty deep draft with a lot of potential "star" players. The 2013 draft was considered weak at the time and for good reason.

I've said this on many, many occasions, I NEVER viewed Luke Joekel as a safe NFL pick. I hated the pick so much, that I flung my ottoman across the room and nearly took out my front window. He was a poor pass protector in college and he was terrible in the NFL. I wanted to either sign a LT in free agency or trade for one.

Personally, I'm not high at all on this OT class. I love Sewell and Liam Eichenberg of Notre Dame. I think those two are plug and play OT's, but the rest of the class are all projects with several issues that need to be worked out before they see an NFL game.

(11-24-2020, 02:53 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(11-24-2020, 02:21 PM)enigma Wrote: What if Sewell ends up like an Eric Fisher or Luke Joeckel type of "safe" pick?

Eric Fisher has been a solid starter at LT for the Chiefs for the last 8 years and helped them win a Superbowl. He's protected Pat Mahomes blindside and helped the QB to thrive. He may be one of the most underrated players in the NFL at this point in his career. Yes, he started out on shaky ground as many NFL players do, but he improved every season and is now one of the most reliable blindside protectors in the entire NFL. He also was not nearly as highly regarded as Sewell currently is. In fact, people were so split on which OT to take, that there was no consensus. It was considered to be one of the weakest drafts in years and people were just grasping at straws, because there were no standout players. Just look at that entire first round. DeAndre Hopkins ended up being the biggest star and he was chosen #27. Out of the first 10 picks in that draft, Fisher and Lane Johnson were the best selections. Ezekial Ansah has had a decent career, but has only reached double digit sacks on two occasions and the rest were just "guys." Sewell is considered a generational talent is what is currently, a pretty deep draft with a lot of potential "star" players. The 2013 draft was considered weak at the time and for good reason.

I've said this on many, many occasions, I NEVER viewed Luke Joekel as a safe NFL pick. I hated the pick so much, that I flung my ottoman across the room and nearly took out my front window. He was a poor pass protector in college and he was terrible in the NFL. I wanted to either sign a LT in free agency or trade for one.

Personally, I'm not high at all on this OT class. I love Sewell and Liam Eichenberg of Notre Dame. I think those two are plug and play OT's, but the rest of the class are all projects with several issues that need to be worked out before they see an NFL game.

I feel like Rashawn Slater is a plug and play LT. Nowhere near Sewell, of course, but similar to Eichenberg.

(11-24-2020, 03:02 PM)JagsFanClubOfMD Wrote:
(11-24-2020, 02:53 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Eric Fisher has been a solid starter at LT for the Chiefs for the last 8 years and helped them win a Superbowl. He's protected Pat Mahomes blindside and helped the QB to thrive. He may be one of the most underrated players in the NFL at this point in his career. Yes, he started out on shaky ground as many NFL players do, but he improved every season and is now one of the most reliable blindside protectors in the entire NFL. He also was not nearly as highly regarded as Sewell currently is. In fact, people were so split on which OT to take, that there was no consensus. It was considered to be one of the weakest drafts in years and people were just grasping at straws, because there were no standout players. Just look at that entire first round. DeAndre Hopkins ended up being the biggest star and he was chosen #27. Out of the first 10 picks in that draft, Fisher and Lane Johnson were the best selections. Ezekial Ansah has had a decent career, but has only reached double digit sacks on two occasions and the rest were just "guys." Sewell is considered a generational talent is what is currently, a pretty deep draft with a lot of potential "star" players. The 2013 draft was considered weak at the time and for good reason.

I feel like Rashawn Slater is a plug and play LT. Nowhere near Sewell, of course, but similar to Eichenberg.

Slater is listed by Northwestern as 6'3" which means he is probably 6'2" and some change. That's even short for an OG. He's gonna have to kick inside in the NFL. You can't be that short and play OT.

(11-24-2020, 03:02 PM)JagsFanClubOfMD Wrote:
(11-24-2020, 02:53 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Eric Fisher has been a solid starter at LT for the Chiefs for the last 8 years and helped them win a Superbowl. He's protected Pat Mahomes blindside and helped the QB to thrive. He may be one of the most underrated players in the NFL at this point in his career. Yes, he started out on shaky ground as many NFL players do, but he improved every season and is now one of the most reliable blindside protectors in the entire NFL. He also was not nearly as highly regarded as Sewell currently is. In fact, people were so split on which OT to take, that there was no consensus. It was considered to be one of the weakest drafts in years and people were just grasping at straws, because there were no standout players. Just look at that entire first round. DeAndre Hopkins ended up being the biggest star and he was chosen #27. Out of the first 10 picks in that draft, Fisher and Lane Johnson were the best selections. Ezekial Ansah has had a decent career, but has only reached double digit sacks on two occasions and the rest were just "guys." Sewell is considered a generational talent is what is currently, a pretty deep draft with a lot of potential "star" players. The 2013 draft was considered weak at the time and for good reason.

We’ll see what he measures. He gave up 0 sacks and four pressures last season.

(11-24-2020, 04:06 PM)JagsFanClubOfMD Wrote:
(11-24-2020, 03:02 PM)JagsFanClubOfMD Wrote: I feel like Rashawn Slater is a plug and play LT. Nowhere near Sewell, of course, but similar to Eichenberg.

We’ll see what he measures. He gave up 0 sacks and four pressures last season.

I love him as an OG prospect. I might even try him at Center.

(11-24-2020, 02:53 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Personally, I'm not high at all on this OT class. I love Sewell and Liam Eichenberg of Notre Dame. I think those two are plug and play OT's, but the rest of the class are all projects with several issues that need to be worked out before they see an NFL game.

I know you hate guys that try to switch sides (hopefully Wills doing well will help change your mind), but I hear good things about Mayfield. He won his matchup vs Chase Young and people think he will have the athleticism to play LT very well.

(11-24-2020, 11:22 PM)Upper Wrote:
(11-24-2020, 02:53 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Personally, I'm not high at all on this OT class. I love Sewell and Liam Eichenberg of Notre Dame. I think those two are plug and play OT's, but the rest of the class are all projects with several issues that need to be worked out before they see an NFL game.

I know you hate guys that try to switch sides (hopefully Wills doing well will help change your mind), but I hear good things about Mayfield. He won his matchup vs Chase Young and people think he will have the athleticism to play LT very well.

Has Mayfield even played this year? I know he has missed several games with a high ankle sprain. I still hate drafting RT's to play LT. Willis started out pretty good, but he got whipped several times on Sunday and gave up a sack as well.