Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
NC is going to die a slow death

(10-31-2020, 08:39 AM)Sneakers Wrote:
(10-25-2020, 06:04 AM)jagibelieve Wrote: 1.  None.  It's normal everyday life.
2.  Nothing.  I don't live in fear of a virus that is no worse than the flu.

Twenty percent transmission rate from a single event is normal life?  How high would the rate need to be for you to consider it abnormal?

The CDC and WHO don't appear to share your medical opinion.  Are they wrong?

Is it proven that the twenty percent transmission rate "came from a single event"?  There were people there from 3 different states and many different counties.

Again, I don't live in fear and couldn't care less about what the CDC or WHO has to say.

Just this weekend I came in contact with some guys working for a man I hired... from a different city.  We all shook hands as normal and they went about their business as normal.  Not a mask in sight (for that matter no PPE) as they took down some dangerous trees on my property.  It was glorious.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(10-23-2020, 12:22 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: I'll share links later, but this is what I wrote for Trivial Annoyances but it's not trivial and it is political. I am so fed up with these leftist agendas. This is kind of chaotic to read but had to get it down and out of my system before I had a freaking aneurysm.

I am so sick and tired of our governor dictator here in NC. 

There's a similar complaint in Pennsylvania (my home state).  If Biden loses PA, NC, and other key swing states, I think this is going to be a key reason (people opposing additional closures when they see other states operating at full capacity).

(11-02-2020, 11:36 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(10-23-2020, 12:22 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: I'll share links later, but this is what I wrote for Trivial Annoyances but it's not trivial and it is political. I am so fed up with these leftist agendas. This is kind of chaotic to read but had to get it down and out of my system before I had a freaking aneurysm.

I am so sick and tired of our governor dictator here in NC. 

There's a similar complaint in Pennsylvania (my home state).  If Biden loses PA, NC, and other key swing states, I think this is going to be a key reason (people opposing additional closures when they see other states operating at full capacity).

We have been in a lockdown of one form or another since the third week in MARCH. There are businesses that have already shut down and won't come back from this. One example: Our one movie theater still hasn't reopened. They had just completed a total renovation when the lockdown started and who knows how the lender feels about not getting paid going on eight months. 

Other businesses have suffered, people still can't go back to work and can't find a job because other unemployed got them first. It's hurting a lot of people. Schools are only open 2-3 days a week so that's an unnecessary burden on students and parents. Bus drivers had to be downsized so more people out of work. Yet the people who decide these things haven't missed a single paycheck. We still haven't officially reopened as a state.

If PA turns red that will be an eye opener and too little, too late for the democrats who drove their constituents to panic mode and desperate measures. NC dictator doesn't care one bit that the WHO reneged on their lockdown "suggestion". He wants his boot to our throat and is why he'll be navigating lawsuits for a long time because people got tired of it. Hopefully PA will see the (red) light and stand up for themselves and against this oppression.

I loathe this man with the intensity of a thousand suns. He is going to drive NC into the dirt. 

Story

Sorry this is happening to your state. Maybe the next election will change the fortunes of your state.

(10-31-2020, 04:47 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(10-31-2020, 08:39 AM)Sneakers Wrote: Twenty percent transmission rate from a single event is normal life?  How high would the rate need to be for you to consider it abnormal?

The CDC and WHO don't appear to share your medical opinion.  Are they wrong?

Is it proven that the twenty percent transmission rate "came from a single event"?  There were people there from 3 different states and many different counties.

Again, I don't live in fear and couldn't care less about what the CDC or WHO has to say.

Just this weekend I came in contact with some guys working for a man I hired... from a different city.  We all shook hands as normal and they went about their business as normal.  Not a mask in sight (for that matter no PPE) as they took down some dangerous trees on my property.  It was glorious.

The 20% transmission rate was a hypothetical scenario.  The underlying question is, how bad must this become before you acknowledge it spreads readily through the type of contact you described.

It's not about personal fear, it's about social responsibility.  At what point do you feel a moral obligation to help protect others?  Your self-described "couldn't care less" attitude is why governmental restrictions are once again tightening around the country.  

Watching a sunrise or sunset on the beach with my wife, I might describe as glorious.
Shaking hands with strangers and watching them cut down trees, not so much.
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

(11-12-2020, 01:14 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Sorry this is happening to your state. Maybe the next election will change the fortunes of your state.

Thanks. NC is a weird state in that for a red state I believe it has had only two Republican governors since the 80s. Thankfully our Lt. Gov is a Republican as was our last one or we'd probably be in worse shape. We've been in lockdown since March

Cooper is a [BLEEP]. He said nothing when there were riots and misbehavior in Charlotte and other areas, one of George Floyds funerals that drew massive crowds (a sister lives in Fayetteville), etc., but he's willing to shut businesses down in order to 'protect' people. If/when Biden enacts his idiot mandates it's just going to give Cooper more 'power's to say if it's good enough for POTUS is good enough for everyone. There are a lot of people who cannot understand how he got re-elected.

(This post was last modified: 01-01-2021, 12:40 PM by mal234.)

I just saw that North Carolina is no longer going to offer retirement health benefits for state employees who are hired in 2021 and beyond. I do believe this may end up being a deterrent to having some qualified people apply for state positions .And I remember hearing some years back from people who worked at a community college in the state that the state benefits already weren't that good to begin with. This will end up disappointing some people in the state who may want to become a teacher or another state employee, but lawmakers in the state felt it was best to cut these benefits out of the budgets.

New State Hires Will Miss Out on Retiree Health Coverage | North Carolina News | US News

(01-01-2021, 12:39 PM)mal234 Wrote: I just saw that North Carolina is no longer going to offer retirement health benefits for state employees who are hired in 2021 and beyond. I do believe this may end up being a deterrent to having some qualified people apply for state positions .And I remember hearing some years back from people who worked at a community college in the state that the state benefits already weren't that good to begin with. This will end up disappointing some people in the state who may want to become a teacher or another state employee, but lawmakers in the state felt it was best to cut these benefits out of the budgets.

New State Hires Will Miss Out on Retiree Health Coverage | North Carolina News | US News

I'll say this first.... If you go into teaching (in public schools specifically) for the benefits then you need your head examined. Seriously. There is something wrong with you if good benefits are your goal because everyone knows they're not good and the cost to mental health isn't worth it if it's not your calling. Especially now. 

Okay.... That is so jacked about taking away medical. I mean, I understand what they're saying with the cost of medical care, but don't take it away completely. My husband's employer is considered a state employer and if someone retires before the 30 year mark, like 25-29 years, they still get to keep their health insurance but pay more for the premium per month than what they would if they retired at 30 years. Or something like that. I don't know absolute numbers other than the 30 years, but that's how it works. 

State and local government employees already get paid crap wages and this doesn't help. If you don't want to offer health insurance then raise their pay so they can afford what they're going to have to pay when they retire. The last year or two of their income determines how much their pension will be (say 80% of $100K per year for simple math. That is not how much my husband makes!) and if they have to pay for private insurance in 30 years..... Forget about it. I realize income will increase, but so will the cost of living. Exponentially.

We don't get free insurance now and I don't expect it at retirement, but at least we will get to keep what we have. He's close enough to retirement that, unless something really bad happens in the next 12-15 years, nothing should change. My brother works for the local community college and he's never said benefits are bad but it's the first job he's had that actually has benefits so he has nothing to compare them to.