Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Car detail

(04-12-2021, 06:53 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: I took my truck through a Gate Express car wash and will never hand wash my truck again. Those things are great.

I’ve been doing this as well.  Buy the platinum/ceramic or whatever they call it.  Add on the bug stuff and the other stuff.  28 bucks later all you need to do is wipe the tailgate and rims and the outside is clean.  Spend a few minutes vacuuming out the inside and all you need to do is wipe the interior and clean the inside of the glass! But I do concede I’m not the guy that attempts to keep an immaculate truck.  Having said that, my truck doesn’t look like it goes to work everyday. It works daily, but my guys are cool and respect it I suppose.  It doesn’t stay as dirty as I expect it to. But we also clean it out daily of the trash we accumulate throughout the day.  If only they didn’t sweat as much.  That’s where the MacGwires new car scent car bomb comes into play.  Does the trick!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(04-12-2021, 09:12 PM)Jags Wrote:
(04-12-2021, 06:53 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: I took my truck through a Gate Express car wash and will never hand wash my truck again. Those things are great.

I’ve been doing this as well.  Buy the platinum/ceramic or whatever they call it.  Add on the bug stuff and the other stuff.  28 bucks later all you need to do is wipe the tailgate and rims and the outside is clean.  Spend a few minutes vacuuming out the inside and all you need to do is wipe the interior and clean the inside of the glass! But I do concede I’m not the guy that attempts to keep an immaculate truck.  Having said that, my truck doesn’t look like it goes to work everyday. It works daily, but my guys are cool and respect it I suppose.  It doesn’t stay as dirty as I expect it to. But we also clean it out daily of the trash we accumulate throughout the day.  If only they didn’t sweat as much.  That’s where the MacGwires new car scent car bomb comes into play.  Does the trick!

The $20 a month subscription allows up to one wash a day at the diamond level with the Ceramic Shield .

https://gateexpresscarwash.com/

(This post was last modified: 04-13-2021, 09:11 AM by Lucky2Last.)

Have you ever used the Absorber to dry your car? That thing is amazing. Bought it on a whim the last time I cleaned my truck and couldn't believe how efficient it was. I always want to wash my truck by hand, but I have the same problem with all manual labor... I really enjoy the first 30 minutes, then I can't wait to be finished. Doesn't matter if it's washing the car, doing the yard, working on a project. I think I just have a 30 minute attention span.

JFC, you ever think about getting into detailing for a living?

(04-13-2021, 09:03 AM)Lucky2Last Wrote: Have you ever used the Absorber to dry  your car? That thing is amazing. Bought it on a whim the last time I cleaned my truck and couldn't believe how efficient it was. I always want to wash my truck by hand, but I have the same problem with all manual labor... I really enjoy the first 30 minutes, then I can't wait to be finished. Doesn't matter if it's washing the car, doing the yard, working on a project. I think I just have a 30 minute attention span.

I don't like washing a vehicle in the summertime when the mere act of putting water in the bucket elicits profuse sweating. 

My DIL's vehicle is black and always looks fantastic. She only uses the Gate Express car wash. 

I don't require my vehicles to look detailed immaculate, just clean. Plus, my seven year old truck has enough dings and scratches from ever looking showroom new. It's not a big deal to me, especially since I buy used cars. Now all I have to do is RTV a rubber trim piece in place to keep it from flying off again the next time I go through the car wash.

(04-13-2021, 09:03 AM)Lucky2Last Wrote: Have you ever used the Absorber to dry  your car? That thing is amazing. Bought it on a whim the last time I cleaned my truck and couldn't believe how efficient it was. I always want to wash my truck by hand, but I have the same problem with all manual labor... I really enjoy the first 30 minutes, then I can't wait to be finished. Doesn't matter if it's washing the car, doing the yard, working on a project. I think I just have a 30 minute attention span.

This is pretty much me.  I get a hankering to clean ‘er up.  Then say “this sucks”.  However, this Easter Sunday, I spent 2.5-3 hours detailing the inside before I got lazy and ran it through the wash. But it’s okay. The car wash was premeditated.  So I’m not going to get onto myself for that.  I must say, this time was enjoyable.  I mainly did it to make a good first impression for a guy that was coming in I wanted to hire.  But another guy got in and said “holy [BLEEP], dude!  The truck looks good!”  Haha. yeah, I know it does. 

The newbie never showed up. I kinda knew that the more I spent time on it.

(This post was last modified: 04-13-2021, 06:44 PM by Jags.)

(04-13-2021, 06:16 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(04-12-2021, 09:12 PM)Jags Wrote: I’ve been doing this as well.  Buy the platinum/ceramic or whatever they call it.  Add on the bug stuff and the other stuff.  28 bucks later all you need to do is wipe the tailgate and rims and the outside is clean.  Spend a few minutes vacuuming out the inside and all you need to do is wipe the interior and clean the inside of the glass! But I do concede I’m not the guy that attempts to keep an immaculate truck.  Having said that, my truck doesn’t look like it goes to work everyday. It works daily, but my guys are cool and respect it I suppose.  It doesn’t stay as dirty as I expect it to. But we also clean it out daily of the trash we accumulate throughout the day.  If only they didn’t sweat as much.  That’s where the MacGwires new car scent car bomb comes into play.  Does the trick!

The $20 a month subscription allows up to one wash a day at the diamond level with the Ceramic Shield .

https://gateexpresscarwash.com/

I’ve been membership curious for quite some time now.  But the last time I rolled through it had a sign advertising for the membership and it appeared to me that the lesser package was more money than the best one.  I didn’t have much time to read it because it was about that time it told me to drive off.  So I quickly shifted to “drive” in fear of being that guy that gets rear ended in the car wash and my luck, every damn airbag would deploy!  That, and something tells me if I signed up for the 20/mo. I’d probably never go.  It’s like my Hulu, Amazon Prime, Netflix, Amazon Music, etc, etc ....

If I came at my 20 year old Silverado with wax it would probably drive away. Lol. I wash it by hand, vacuum the interior, put Rain-X on the windshield and put armour-all everywhere on the inside. I don't get too fancy with it.

I’ve got a guy local to me coming out to detail my truck today. Should be here soon. Since I rarely drive it, I was looking to get the inside and out looking brand new again (within reason, of course). I assume the average rate would be 150+. He tells me 115 over text. I asked if he wanted to see it in person first. After all I want us to be on the same page. 115 just seems low. He sees it and says he’ll do it for 115. He says it’ll take him from 7/730am- about 200pm. Todays the day! Yay! At 115 that’s only 16 an hour. So I’m not sure if he’ll be doing a crappy job or if I’ll be giving him a nice tip. If it meets or exceeds what I am wanting, I figure I’d give him 150.00. Especially if it’ll take him all day. Does that sound fair? More? Less?

(This post was last modified: 12-30-2021, 07:06 PM by Jags.)

Welp, after 8+ hours on my truck… I’d say I could nitpick, but I shouldn’t see dirt in the cracks and my glass should be spotless and smudge free. Also, there were smudges all around and spots that I could by hand clean up. Turns out I somewhat know the guy. He asked if I was “Me” from “Business name”. He was a security guard for a local gated community and remembered me/us. Turns out he’s six months in on his new endeavor. Which made it a bit difficult for me once he pointed out a spot on my windshield he was having issues with. I told him I had a clear film on the front windshield prior to starting. Long story short, he scratched the heck out of where the oil change sticker was. That film cost me 250 at the time. I have a soft spot for laborers like some former waiters/waitresses have for restaurant staff when they eat out and someone complains. He was very apologetic and said he’d pay for the replacement of the film. I could tell he wasn’t happy that it happened. He said I can withhold payment.

I’ve been new once too. He seems sincere said he would bug me if I didn’t get back with him on the repair. I told him I’d pay him the 115 for the work he did and tried to offer advice. Told him to use it as a learning experience and also told him about screw ups I had my first year and that I’d touch base with him after I got it fixed.

Overall, the truck is cleaner than I would have gotten it. I even decided I’d give him an extra 50 if it worked out right. I saw the “imperfections” for lack of other words in the work and took 15 out. Then the front film came into play. I kinda feel bad. But at the same time I’m not happy. Kinda proud of myself for how I handled it I suppose. I can tell he isn’t as “fortunate” and thinking I’ll do what a client did for me when an employee broke a 1200 window many, many years back. I’ll get the film fixed and get back with him and seek only half of it. Wish him the best going forward, but I can’t say I’d hire him again.

I should add I have a 6x7 area of scratched up/hazy look where that sticker used to be. It’s noticeable.

(12-30-2021, 07:04 PM)Jags Wrote: Welp, after 8+ hours on my truck… I’d say I could nitpick, but I shouldn’t see dirt in the cracks and my glass should be spotless and smudge free.  Also, there were smudges all around and spots that I could by hand clean up.  Turns out I somewhat know the guy.  He asked if I was “Me” from “Business name”.  He was a security guard for a local gated community and remembered me/us.  Turns out he’s six months in on his new endeavor.  Which made it a bit difficult for me once he pointed out a spot on my windshield he was having issues with.  I told him I had a clear film on the front windshield prior to starting.  Long story short, he scratched the heck out of where the oil change sticker was.  That film cost me 250 at the time.  I have a soft spot for laborers like some former waiters/waitresses have for restaurant staff when they eat out and someone complains.  He was very apologetic and said he’d pay for the replacement of the film.  I could tell he wasn’t happy that it happened.  He said I can withhold payment. 

I’ve been new once too.  He seems sincere said he would bug me if I didn’t get back with him on the repair.  I told him I’d pay him the 115 for the work he did and tried to offer advice.  Told him to use it as a learning experience and also told him about screw ups I had my first year and that I’d touch base with him after I got it fixed. 

Overall, the truck is cleaner than I would have gotten it.  I even decided I’d give him an extra 50 if it worked out right.  I saw the “imperfections” for lack of other words in the work and took 15 out.  Then the front film came into play.  I kinda feel bad.  But at the same time I’m not happy.  Kinda proud of myself for how I handled it I suppose.  I can tell he isn’t as “fortunate” and thinking I’ll do what a client did for me when an employee broke a 1200 window many, many years back.  I’ll get the film fixed and get back with him and seek only half of it.  Wish him the best going forward, but I can’t say I’d hire him again.

I should add I have a 6x7 area of scratched up/hazy look where that sticker used to be.  It’s noticeable.

You're doing it wrong.

[Image: 63ae519855ea58221df2ed711d7d936b.jpg]