Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Car detail

I do a pretty good detail job on my 370z every so often. Not quite as detailed as the OP, but close. My truck, not so much, though I do keep it pretty clean. Both vehicles are garage kept which helps a ton.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 10-26-2020, 10:21 PM by Jamies_fried_chicken.)

JagsThank you for the info.  I’ll give it a shot.  I’ll have some free time coming up in 2 weeks.  I’ll wash and then rinse with the RO and try the meguires spray wax.  

What kind of tips do you have for the interior?  I can get it fairly clean.  The seats I’m good.  It’s just all the grit, dust, and grime I get on my dash and door panels.  I’ve heard Play doh works.  But Never tried it.  I usually use Armor all cleaner and the regular armor all.  The nook and crannies give me troubles.  That and the leather on the gear shift.  Mainly cause it’s like trying to clean all the dirt and stuff from a scrotum. I try to clean it in park, shift to neutral, but there is always dirt left over.

No problem keep me posted on what worked best and what didnt...

For the interior ill start with loosing up dirt with a bissel vac and get the piece that does the crevices. Thats a lil pricey for something cheaper you can get a wet vac and buy a small side brush to get those hard to reach spots. 

i use 303 aerospace to clean the door panels, dash  and center console. Spray a little on a boars head brush or small tip painter brush to get in those areas around the center console. I heard about the play doh trick..tried it didnt have any luck thats why i went to the brushes and crevices tools. Also a portable steamer would do as well. 

Armor all is just a greasy product that once the heat get to it will fog up your windows. I use Meguiars interior detailer with a mf towel. Its just me but those wipes are too greasy and i cant control how much product i want on the vinyl.

(10-26-2020, 09:19 PM)Jagsfan4life9/28/82 Wrote: I do a pretty good detail job on my 370z every so often. Not quite as detailed as the OP, but close. My truck, not so much, though I do keep it pretty clean. Both vehicles are garage kept which helps a ton.

A garage is a mans best friend in the summertime.
Whether someone has a liberal, or conservative viewpoint, a authoritative figure should not lock a thread for the sole purpose to get the last word in all the while prohibiting someone else from being able to respond.

What's this black magic you speak of?

I'll run it through the ride n shine once a month or dive through a river.

(10-27-2020, 12:27 AM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: What's this black magic you speak of?

I'll run it through the ride n shine once a month or dive through a river.

Haha its a tire gel that you put on with one wipe. I only got it because Meguiars tire gel was always out of stock. It definitely last a long time and does not leave any sling..only downfall is the applicator that comes with it sucks and break apart after like the 5 use. You are better off buying a 1.00 sponge
Whether someone has a liberal, or conservative viewpoint, a authoritative figure should not lock a thread for the sole purpose to get the last word in all the while prohibiting someone else from being able to respond.

JFC is an oracle of car detail knowledge.

I wish I drove a Transformer. Then it can wash itself.

(This post was last modified: 10-27-2020, 04:18 PM by HURRICANE!!!.)

(10-26-2020, 06:12 PM)Jamies_fried_chicken Wrote: Wanted to see if there are any car detail enthusiasts out there. Since I am on restrictive exercise by doctor order I went ahead the other day and did a nice detail of my 2 cars. I haven't cleaned them since February so they definitely needed some work. I wanted to see what products and steps you all use and to see what new tricks I can pick up from some of you.

Pre clean. 

-Rinse off lose contaminants with pressure washer at 2000 psi 

spary foam with adams strip wash with foam cannon to remove any old wax and sealants, I let it sit for a few minutes to break down sap, tar, etc. 

I use chemical guys microfiber mit with rinse bucket to physically clean the car. 

next step is to use turtle wax bug and tar remover i spray the front bumper and around the splash guard to remove road grime. I let it sit for 5 minutes. 

While the car is still wet I work on the tires using eagle one all purpose cleaner for the rims and tires. I use a wheel brush from chemical guys to remove the old tire shine dressing and a microfiber cloth to clean the rims. 

I use the microfiber mit to clean the bumper and road grime. 

do a second rinse of the car and tires.

dry with a microx drying towel. 

Decon and clay then cermaic coating 

Rinse the car again then I use meguars iron decon diluted 3.1 i spray the entire car and let it sit for about 5 minutes wait for the purple stuff to show while breaking down then rinse off thoroughly. 

I then use mothers 2.0 with their instant detailing to lube the car, I use the clay bars for areas there the 2.0 car really get like the lower bumper and anywhere else where the body panels have unique grooves that the 2.0 will miss.  I will start at the front of the car on one side of the hood spray lube..clay...then use drying microfiber towel to clean up excess while working my way around the car.  

After I am done then I will use turtle wax ceramic coating. 

I spray twice on each panel buff in with a seperate microfiber towel.

for the maintenance washes I use meguiars was and wax diluted 3.1  with rainx for the windows and turtle wax cermaic wash and wax as a drying aid. I use tire magic gel for the tire shine.

Great timing for this thread.  I just spent 2 hours washing and cleaning out my car this weekend and thought THERE IS NO WAY I'D DO THIS FOR A LIVING.   Attempting to clean out every piece of sand or whatever in each nook and cranny is not for me.  I could never imagine doing that for 8 hours per day then waking up the next day an repeating the process on car after car.  That said, I usually go with the wash, wax, tire cleaner (Black Magic Tire Wet), and wheel cleaner that is on sale while using Armor All in the the interior leather and dash.  I dry the car with old beach towels --- I know, not good.   I already scheduled my next self-cleaning for March 2021.  That shows how much I like this work. Smile

(10-26-2020, 10:19 PM)Jamies_fried_chicken Wrote:
(10-26-2020, 09:19 PM)Jagsfan4life9/28/82 Wrote: I do a pretty good detail job on my 370z every so often. Not quite as detailed as the OP, but close. My truck, not so much, though I do keep it pretty clean. Both vehicles are garage kept which helps a ton.

It could be argued that in Florida, that's pretty much year around.

A young guy working for me in the Navy detailed cars on the side for money and because he loved it. He would be telling me about a car he was going to detail on Saturday and couldn't hide his excitement about it. The money wasn't the object, it was the work. Such a disturbed young man.

(10-27-2020, 04:44 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: A young guy working for me in the Navy detailed cars on the side for money and because he loved it. He would be telling me about a car he was going to detail on Saturday and couldn't hide his excitement about it. The money wasn't the object, it was the work. Such a disturbed young man.

I used to like doing stuff like that when i was about 25 years old or so but nowadays the level of sweat and exhaustion turned it into a major chore.  I was kind of looking forward to it until I was 20 minutes into the job.

I think a lot of laborer jobs fall into that category when one turns 50.  I think the job that I'd hate the most is being one of those dudes that pick up the county residents debris (branches) every single day.  Construction is not my thing either.  Man, I pretty turned into a [BLEEP], now that I just roll out of bed and work from home

(10-27-2020, 07:11 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(10-27-2020, 04:44 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: A young guy working for me in the Navy detailed cars on the side for money and because he loved it. He would be telling me about a car he was going to detail on Saturday and couldn't hide his excitement about it. The money wasn't the object, it was the work. Such a disturbed young man.

I used to like doing stuff like that when i was about 25 years old or so but nowadays the level of sweat and exhaustion turned it into a major chore.  I was kind of looking forward to it until I was 20 minutes into the job.

I think a lot of laborer jobs fall into that category when one turns 50.  I think the job that I'd hate the most is being one of those dudes that pick up the county residents debris (branches) every single day.  Construction is not my thing either.  Man, I pretty turned into a [BLEEP], now that I just roll out of bed and work from home

Yeah, labor jobs are a [BLEEP].  Especially in the heat.  I, at times wonder why people (or even myself) pay for certain services.  I paid a guy 375.00 to pressure wash a few weeks ago.  I have access to one, a good one at that.  But hired it out.  I get it.   I’d hire JFC to detail in/out of my truck.  I assume that’s a 150- 200 job as well.  Then it dawns on me, that’s EXACTLY how I make my living.  Mowing lawns.  I guess it’s all in what you’re used to.  I’d rather mow 25 lawns in one day than spend 2 hours detailing my truck or pressure washing the house, fence, sidewalk and patio.

I turned 40 this year, and I finally hit the age where working in the heat really affects me. As in, I have to make sure I'm drinking water, and I'm way more willing to call it a day when it hits about 107 or so haha.

(This post was last modified: 10-27-2020, 07:52 PM by Jags.)

(10-27-2020, 07:44 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: I turned 40 this year, and I finally hit the age where working in the heat really affects me. As in, I have to make sure I'm drinking water, and I'm way more willing to call it a day when it hits about 107 or so haha.

If it makes you feel better, I’m at that point as well. But I’m 2 years younger.  My first off week I already had 4 doctor appointments scheduled.  2 chiro, a dental and my general practitioner. My goal this offseason is to “not feel old”.  Eat better, drop a few lbs, drink less whatever I need to do.  After 13 years this job has hit me like a Mack truck this year.  Finally dawning on me that I’m not as young as I used to be.  I can’t hang with my young buck employees anymore

(10-27-2020, 07:44 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: I turned 40 this year, and I finally hit the age where working in the heat really affects me. As in, I have to make sure I'm drinking water, and I'm way more willing to call it a day when it hits about 107 or so haha.

Yeah, the heat really beats me up, but it started in my late 20s. I had to get a job where the AC blasts on me all day long.

Question for JFC. Would you recommend using a clay bar before apply the wet wax?

(10-27-2020, 07:44 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: I turned 40 this year, and I finally hit the age where working in the heat really affects me. As in, I have to make sure I'm drinking water, and I'm way more willing to call it a day when it hits about 107 or so haha.

(10-27-2020, 07:51 PM)Jags Wrote:

If it makes you feel better, I’m at that point as well. But I’m 2 years younger.  My first off week I already had 4 doctor appointments scheduled.  2 chiro, a dental and my general practitioner. My goal this offseason is to “not feel old”.  Eat better, drop a few lbs, drink less whatever I need to do.  After 13 years this job has hit me like a Mack truck this year.  Finally dawning on me that I’m not as young as I used to be.  I can’t hang with my young buck employees anymore

Wait until you guys hit 50. Body parts that never bothered you before begin to chronically hurt. Only on occasion at first, then with increasing frequency. NSAIDs will become your best friend.

Clearly you have never lived in the north through a winter.   When the wind is blowing the snow sideways and the thermometer is displaying numbers on the wrong side of the 0.......

On days like this, a garage, especially an attached garage, takes on a whole new meaning.
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

(10-28-2020, 07:29 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:

(10-27-2020, 07:51 PM)Jags Wrote: If it makes you feel better, I’m at that point as well. But I’m 2 years younger.  My first off week I already had 4 doctor appointments scheduled.  2 chiro, a dental and my general practitioner. My goal this offseason is to “not feel old”.  Eat better, drop a few lbs, drink less whatever I need to do.  After 13 years this job has hit me like a Mack truck this year.  Finally dawning on me that I’m not as young as I used to be.  I can’t hang with my young buck employees anymore

Wait until you guys hit 50. Body parts that never bothered you before begin to chronically hurt. Only on occasion at first, then with increasing frequency. NSAIDs will become your best friend.

HB we don't have them big white collar brains, we do this thing called manual labor, that ship sailed like 10 years ago lol.

I'm working on work-related surgery 3 already.

(10-28-2020, 01:13 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote:
(10-28-2020, 07:29 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: Wait until you guys hit 50. Body parts that never bothered you before begin to chronically hurt. Only on occasion at first, then with increasing frequency. NSAIDs will become your best friend.

HB we don't have them big white collar brains, we do this thing called manual labor, that ship sailed like 10 years ago lol.

I'm working on work-related surgery 3 already.
I’m with you,   Truth be told, you and I both probably have the brains you speak of.  But I will admit, ive used my occupation( and its stereotypes) to pretend to be dumber than I am on numerous occasions.   Sometimes people ask questions or try to get into a convo you don’t really want to be in. Or perhaps you just don’t like them.  Occasionally, I’ll say “hey, I’m just a lawn guy, idk.”  You may have a harder time doing that since your job is more important and you have super expensive equipment.   

I am curious about this clay bar as well JFC.  And if I’m being honest, it’s really refreshing finding common ground with those that post different views from the political section.   A heart felt moment perhaps.  Sorry, I get lovey when I have a drink.

(This post was last modified: 10-28-2020, 06:33 PM by Jamies_fried_chicken.)

(10-27-2020, 04:18 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(10-26-2020, 06:12 PM)Jamies_fried_chicken Wrote: Wanted to see if there are any car detail enthusiasts out there. Since I am on restrictive exercise by doctor order I went ahead the other day and did a nice detail of my 2 cars. I haven't cleaned them since February so they definitely needed some work. I wanted to see what products and steps you all use and to see what new tricks I can pick up from some of you.

Pre clean. 

-Rinse off lose contaminants with pressure washer at 2000 psi 

spary foam with adams strip wash with foam cannon to remove any old wax and sealants, I let it sit for a few minutes to break down sap, tar, etc. 

I use chemical guys microfiber mit with rinse bucket to physically clean the car. 

next step is to use turtle wax bug and tar remover i spray the front bumper and around the splash guard to remove road grime. I let it sit for 5 minutes. 

While the car is still wet I work on the tires using eagle one all purpose cleaner for the rims and tires. I use a wheel brush from chemical guys to remove the old tire shine dressing and a microfiber cloth to clean the rims. 

I use the microfiber mit to clean the bumper and road grime. 

do a second rinse of the car and tires.

dry with a microx drying towel. 

Decon and clay then cermaic coating 

Rinse the car again then I use meguars iron decon diluted 3.1 i spray the entire car and let it sit for about 5 minutes wait for the purple stuff to show while breaking down then rinse off thoroughly. 

I then use mothers 2.0 with their instant detailing to lube the car, I use the clay bars for areas there the 2.0 car really get like the lower bumper and anywhere else where the body panels have unique grooves that the 2.0 will miss.  I will start at the front of the car on one side of the hood spray lube..clay...then use drying microfiber towel to clean up excess while working my way around the car.  

After I am done then I will use turtle wax ceramic coating. 

I spray twice on each panel buff in with a seperate microfiber towel.

for the maintenance washes I use meguiars was and wax diluted 3.1  with rainx for the windows and turtle wax cermaic wash and wax as a drying aid. I use tire magic gel for the tire shine.

Great timing for this thread.  I just spent 2 hours washing and cleaning out my car this weekend and thought THERE IS NO WAY I'D DO THIS FOR A LIVING.   Attempting to clean out every piece of sand or whatever in each nook and cranny is not for me.  I could never imagine doing that for 8 hours per day then waking up the next day an repeating the process on car after car.  That said, I usually go with the wash, wax, tire cleaner (Black Magic Tire Wet), and wheel cleaner that is on sale while using Armor All in the the interior leather and dash.  I dry the car with old beach towels --- I know, not good.   I already scheduled my next self-cleaning for March 2021.  That shows how much I like this work. Smile

As for the bolded underline part, wayy back when I got my first car and washed it ...with dishwashing soap.....I used some old UF shirts (FSU guy) that i found at goodwill and that scratched and swirled up my car...

Yeah Gator guys and gals eat your heart out...while I hope you pee on yourself...haha j/k

But that is what led me to microfiber mits and towels you can buy a 2pk drying towel for cheap at walmart like 6-7 bucks. You can use both sides so when one side gets damp flip it over and use the other side. 

When it comes to cleaning any MF towel...I buy the microfiber detergent...orange stuff from chemical guys. Use a old paint bucket..pour 2 cups...fill the bucket half way with warm water..hand wash to get the oil and dirt out..then put in the dryer no heat.

(10-27-2020, 04:37 PM)Jagsfan4life9/28/82 Wrote:

It could be argued that in Florida, that's pretty much year around.

That is true.