Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Florida minimum wage increase passes

As stated previously, minimum wage increases will not solve the issue of high rents. The state of Florida currently has a ~5.4% housing shortage for the population, while the USA as a whole is short nearly 2.5 million homes. No matter how much money you make you cannot purchase that which does not exist. Meanwhile towns and cities around the country are doing everything in their power to discourage the building of new housing, including my own town who consistently refuses to allow developers to build new apartments and condos in unused retail gray space. Bottom line, if we want rents to decline we need a large and wide-scale building project to increase the supply.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(11-08-2020, 09:39 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(11-08-2020, 09:24 AM)JagsFanClubOfMD Wrote: Many full-time fast food and retail workers still qualify for public assistance. I’d rather corporations like McDonald’s and Walmart be forced to pay their employees a livable wage than have the living expenses of said workers subsidized by my tax dollars. Of course they will probably still pass the buck to the consumer with higher prices, but who should we be angry at, working people struggling to survive or greedy corporations.

You should really check out what fast food restaurants are starting to do with automation.  

They are being "forced" to pay their employees a livable wage and soon,  said employees will be replaced by Johnny 5, then be 100% subsidized by your tax dollar.

The fact that people think corps will just sit back and be abused is laughable, and I applaud all of them. Not to mention Biden wants to increase the corporate tax rate again, lol.

What would be the difference by that rationale? Do you think they are going to stop the move to automation if they are paying employees $9.00/hr rather than $15?

(11-08-2020, 10:09 AM)JagsFanClubOfMD Wrote:
(11-08-2020, 09:39 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: You should really check out what fast food restaurants are starting to do with automation.  

They are being "forced" to pay their employees a livable wage and soon,  said employees will be replaced by Johnny 5, then be 100% subsidized by your tax dollar.

The fact that people think corps will just sit back and be abused is laughable, and I applaud all of them. Not to mention Biden wants to increase the corporate tax rate again, lol.

What would be the difference by that rationale? Do you think they are going to stop the move to automation if they are paying employees $9.00/hr rather than $15?

Technological conversion in retail is similar to fracking, as long as the current cost remains below a certain threshold then the substitute process isn't worth the effort. But once the cost of labor exceeds that threshold then the impetus for innovation comes rapidly and, for some workers, catastrophically.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(11-08-2020, 10:09 AM)JagsFanClubOfMD Wrote:
(11-08-2020, 09:39 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: You should really check out what fast food restaurants are starting to do with automation.  

Possibly. Look at the math.

For example, in US alone, McDonald's had approximately 14,000 stores.

Let's say an employee makes $15 an hour 40 hrs a week. That is $2400 a month. If they cut one employee across every franchise, that saves them $33,600,000 a month. Now cut 5 employees per franchise. That is $168,000,000 a month, which equates to over 2 billion dollars a year of savings.

The future is here.

(11-08-2020, 10:20 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(11-08-2020, 10:09 AM)JagsFanClubOfMD Wrote: What would be the difference by that rationale? Do you think they are going to stop the move to automation if they are paying employees $9.00/hr rather than $15?

Let's say an employee makes $15 an hour 40 hrs a week. That is $2400 a month. If they cut one employee across every franchise, that saves them $33,600,000 a month. Now cut 5 employees per franchise. That is $168,000,000 a month, which equates to over 2 billion dollars a year of savings.

The future is here.

At that scale the labor being cut would still be significant at 9, 10 or 11 dollars per hour. I get your point though. I’m still more upset at the corporations than I am the poor people.

(11-08-2020, 10:20 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(11-08-2020, 10:09 AM)JagsFanClubOfMD Wrote: What would be the difference by that rationale? Do you think they are going to stop the move to automation if they are paying employees $9.00/hr rather than $15?

The future is here.

Well, yes and no. The idea that all of the labor dollar savings are realized in a tech conversion isn't really factual. The innovation always come with new costs of it's own; in this case it's the purchase and maintenance of the equipment, the cost of broad scale implementation, and the IT support to keep if functional and secure just for starters. If all those new costs add up to more than the increase in labor savings then it won't happen.

(This post was last modified: 11-08-2020, 10:46 AM by StroudCrowd1.)

(11-08-2020, 10:34 AM)JagsFanClubOfMD Wrote:
(11-08-2020, 10:20 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Possibly. Look at the math.

The future is here.

At that scale the labor being cut would still be significant at 9, 10 or 11 dollars per hour. I get your point though. I’m still more upset at the corporations than I am the poor people.

Well, I am old enough to remember these types of jobs were never intended to create a living wage. Don't get me wrong, there are management positions in these corporations that should produce a living wage, but that is where it starts. 

Random question. Do you own stock?

(11-08-2020, 10:41 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(11-08-2020, 10:20 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Possibly. Look at the math.

The future is here.

Well, yes and no. The idea that all of the labor dollar savings are realized in a tech conversion isn't really factual. The innovation always come with new costs of it's own; in this case it's the purchase and maintenance of the equipment, the cost of broad scale implementation, and the IT support to keep if functional and secure just for starters. If all those new costs add up to more than the increase in labor savings then it won't happen.

Oh yeah, I know. Was just a rough example, but I was also being conservative running the numbers on 5 employees per franchise, when it would likely be double or triple that. 

Since its already happening, I am guessing a lot smarter people than me determined it is a viable long term strategy.

Now......cue the robot tax....my guess is this has something to do with why corps are slow playing the implementation of automation.

Yep a burger flipper or cashier isn't a career. It is short-term or part time job until you find something else. This example she has 5 kids, she obviously had more time to go and use all the free education resources available to not be a cashier. She chose to have fun and pop some kids out.

There is no incentive. I would prefer to pay people more money or bonuses for getting off welfare. You can't just keep giving people a free hand out. People not on assistance have to work full time, take care of their kids, and pay for school at night if they want to improve their worth. These other people just say I deserve more and expect you to give it to them.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

(11-08-2020, 05:58 PM)p_rushing Wrote: Yep a burger flipper or cashier isn't a career. It is short-term or part time job until you find something else. This example she has 5 kids, she obviously had more time to go and use all the free education resources available to not be a cashier. She chose to have fun and pop some kids out.

There is no incentive. I would prefer to pay people more money or bonuses for getting off welfare. You can't just keep giving people a free hand out. People not on assistance have to work full time, take care of their kids, and pay for school at night if they want to improve their worth. These other people just say I deserve more and expect you to give it to them.

I believe we should have a card exchange program. In order to receive welfare benefits you have to surrender your voter registration. As a ward of the State you should not have a say in it's operation or composition. When you choose to return your EBT card you get your VR card back.

(11-08-2020, 06:05 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(11-08-2020, 05:58 PM)p_rushing Wrote: Yep a burger flipper or cashier isn't a career. It is short-term or part time job until you find something else. This example she has 5 kids, she obviously had more time to go and use all the free education resources available to not be a cashier. She chose to have fun and pop some kids out.

I believe we should have a card exchange program. In order to receive welfare benefits you have to surrender your voter registration. As a ward of the State you should not have a say in it's operation or composition. When you choose to return your EBT card you get your VR card back.

That won't work because those who chronically abuse the system couldn't care less about voting. They look as far into the future as the present day. Believe me, I've lived around enough of them.

(11-08-2020, 07:57 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(11-08-2020, 06:05 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: I believe we should have a card exchange program. In order to receive welfare benefits you have to surrender your voter registration. As a ward of the State you should not have a say in it's operation or composition. When you choose to return your EBT card you get your VR card back.

That won't work because those who chronically abuse the system couldn't care less about voting. They look as far into the future as the present day. Believe me, I've lived around enough of them.

As soon as the politicians can't buy their votes and start responding to taxpayer demands to reform or eliminate those gub'ment checks they'll start caring.