Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Florida minimum wage increase passes

(11-05-2020, 11:07 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: What's really weird is that California, a deep blue state, rejected a ballot measure that would have revived affirmative action, while Florida, which appears to now be a red state, passed the $15 minimum wage.

Can't speak for Florida but so much money in Cali was pumped into getting that ballot rejected

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Regarding the part where people are referring to no law to increase workers already making at or over the new minimum wage, this is one of the times where a union is beneficial (for employees)...I have been in the work foce for something like 37 years and have been in quite a few unions and a few minimum wage increases...I am currently in an international union for carpenters and certain language in the CBA call for us to to be paid over minimum wage, and any increase in minimum wage must result in an increase to our union members no less less than equal the the percentage of the increase in minimum wage.. While that is beneficial to the employee at face value, its not always the case... Generally our union dues go up, the percentage we pay for our healthcare goes up, and so on.

The rest of the story as outlined by all the posts is pretty much spot on...Employers have no choice but to raise prices, our suppliers must raise their prices, fuel prices increase ( gas stations/convienience store employees are getting paid more so their companies have to raise prices) food prices raise and so on so we end up right back where we started before the minimum wage increase just at a higher level or the cost of living surpasses the "benefit" of the increased wages and we wind up keeping less of our money

(This post was last modified: 11-05-2020, 10:54 PM by mikesez.)

(11-05-2020, 11:07 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: What's really weird is that California, a deep blue state, rejected a ballot measure that would have revived affirmative action, while Florida, which appears to now be a red state, passed the $15 minimum wage.

California is a very weird place.
Most Californians view racial issues as a "south thing" or an "east coast thing", not their problem.
Even though in reality, California has a lot of the same issues as the rest of the country, redlining, and discrimination by police.
Black people know better though.  In the 1950s thru the 1970s, black people left the jim crow south for Cali.  Now for the last 20 years they've been heading back, and doing better for themselves in places like ATL.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(11-05-2020, 01:50 PM)wrong_box Wrote: Regarding the part where people are referring to no law to increase workers already making at or over the new minimum wage, this is one of the times where a union is beneficial (for employees)...I have been in the work foce for something like 37 years and have been in quite a few unions and a few minimum wage increases...I am currently in an international union for carpenters and certain language in the CBA call for us to to be paid over minimum wage, and any increase in minimum wage must result in an increase to our union members no less less than equal the the percentage of the increase in minimum wage.. While that is beneficial to the employee at face value, its not always the case... Generally our union dues go up, the percentage we pay for our healthcare goes up, and so on.

The rest of the story as outlined by all the posts is pretty much spot on...Employers have no choice but to raise prices, our suppliers must raise their prices, fuel prices increase ( gas stations/convienience store employees are getting paid more so their companies have to raise prices) food prices raise and so on so we end up right back where we started before the minimum wage increase just at a higher level or the cost of living surpasses the "benefit" of the increased wages and we wind up keeping less of our money

To add to your point ... The money you saved, or invested will have less buying power. Your 401k didn't go up, and may actually be worth less by the time you need it.

Well i voted no. Sad to see this pass as min wage should be set by the free market. People voted for this without thinking it thru. That being said i will say this should not affect all pricess as all states wont pay this same min wage so the cost of all parts and supplies shouldnt go up across the board. Those states with lower labor costs will benefit. This actuall y hurts florida overall.

Sad thing is this will actually end up creating less jobs for the same crowd that mostly voted for it. Smh.

My first job paid 3.35 hour. So in a little over three decades its a tad over doubled. Now they want to almost double it in 6 yrs ...smh some more.

Something about the road to hell

(This post was last modified: 11-06-2020, 01:57 PM by HandsomeRob86.)

Florida passing a minimum wage increase to $15 a hour. I have seen it all now. My first job a mere 20ish years ago Paid 4.35? 4.60 an hour? Back then I got another job paying $10 a hour a couple years later and that was a lot more money. The problem is the professional jobs will not go up as fast as minimum wage. A starting nurses wage in 2000 was pretty close to $20 an hour, maybe slightly under at 18 or 19. Now its probably $23 in most areas in Florida. It won't be going up $5 an hour in the next 5 years, if it barely did it in the previous 20. Just increased cost of living for everyone and only provided a wage increase for the bottom. At least people can see college isn't worth it now lol.

Cost for everything goes up, but the middle class actually goes down. Bad policy.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

It looks like the people spoke, and they gave themselves a raise. Just saying haha
Maybe some of the people will be able to afford rent?

(11-07-2020, 01:19 AM)Jag88 Wrote: It looks like the people spoke, and they gave themselves a raise. Just saying haha

You know what happens when everyone starts making more money? Prices for stuff like rent goes up too.
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

(11-07-2020, 01:36 AM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote:
(11-07-2020, 01:19 AM)Jag88 Wrote: It looks like the people spoke, and they gave themselves a raise. Just saying haha

You know what happens when everyone starts making more money? Prices for stuff like rent goes up too.

You can't educate morons, no matter how you might try.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(11-07-2020, 01:36 AM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote:

It's not necessarily a wash though.
Labor cost is only a small component of cost of goods, usually about 30%
If labor costs are forced to increase 10%, the first order effect is cost of goods only increases 3%.
Rent is different.  Rent is dictated by supply and demand.  In this case, some of the people getting increased wages may demand a place of their own, no roommate.  The housing market might be able to incrementally create new units at the same cost as existing units, which is a win for everybody (although it could create traffic problems).  But if the ability to create new units is constrained, rent prices can go up vastly in excess of wages.

(11-07-2020, 12:50 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(11-07-2020, 01:36 AM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote: You know what happens when everyone starts making more money? Prices for stuff like rent goes up too.

It's not necessarily a wash though.
If labor costs are forced to increase 10%, the first order effect is cost of goods only increases 3%.
Rent is different.  Rent is dictated by supply and demand.  In this case, some of the people getting increased wages may demand a place of their own, no roommate.  The housing market might be able to incrementally create new units at the same cost as existing units, which is a win for everybody (although it could create traffic problems).  But if the ability to create new units is constrained, rent prices can go up vastly in excess of wages.

Wages are not the issue with high rents, and the conflation of the two is economic illiteracy.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(11-07-2020, 02:22 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(11-07-2020, 12:50 PM)mikesez Wrote: It's not necessarily a wash though.

Wages are not the issue with high rents, and the conflation of the two is economic illiteracy.

Right.

I expect this will lead to higher housing costs in Florida. More people can afford housing therefore the price will rise to the point demand allows. It’s good for homeowners, bad for renters and the people actually on minimum wage.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

(This post was last modified: 11-08-2020, 05:53 AM by Jag88.)

Im a home owner. regardless, everyone would love to be able to aford rent and food. Those of us with the skills to make extra money should not be scared of some of the people who are struggling to make money for rent and food getting a better bottom wage

Picachu face when cost of everything goes up

Many full-time fast food and retail workers still qualify for public assistance. I’d rather corporations like McDonald’s and Walmart be forced to pay their employees a livable wage than have the living expenses of said workers subsidized by my tax dollars. Of course they will probably still pass the buck to the consumer with higher prices, but who should we be angry at, working people struggling to survive or greedy corporations.

(This post was last modified: 11-08-2020, 09:42 AM by StroudCrowd1.)

(11-08-2020, 09:24 AM)JagsFanClubOfMD Wrote: Many full-time fast food and retail workers still qualify for public assistance. I’d rather corporations like McDonald’s and Walmart be forced to pay their employees a livable wage than have the living expenses of said workers subsidized by my tax dollars. Of course they will probably still pass the buck to the consumer with higher prices, but who should we be angry at, working people struggling to survive or greedy corporations.

You should really check out what fast food restaurants are starting to do with automation.  

They are being "forced" to pay their employees a livable wage and soon,  said employees will be replaced by Johnny 5, then be 100% subsidized by your tax dollar.

The fact that people think corps will just sit back and be abused is laughable, and I applaud all of them. Not to mention Biden wants to increase the corporate tax rate again, lol.

(11-08-2020, 02:38 AM)HandsomeRob86 Wrote: I expect this will lead to higher housing costs in Florida. More people can afford housing therefore the price will rise to the point demand allows. It’s good for homeowners, bad for renters and the people actually on minimum wage.

Don't worry.  They will be moving in right next to you.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost.com/...burbs/amp/

Corporations and businesses do not exist to provide jobs, the exist to create profit.