Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Minshew done the rest of the year?

(This post was last modified: 11-15-2020, 07:35 PM by mal234.)

(11-15-2020, 07:28 PM)Corriewf Wrote:
(11-15-2020, 07:11 PM)mal234 Wrote: I think it had a significant impact on it, especially his accuracy which kept declining. He may not have the strongest arm, but he was doing stuff like missing pretty easy throws, that he has made in the past. 

We'll see what happens, and how he plays should he return to the starting lineup. Also, I think that Jake is showing that he can at least be a decent backup. He's looked better than some other rookie QB's that started in backup roles this year, including Ben DiNucci of the Cowboys.

We are 1-8, no one deserves a start... right now we have a very small sampling from Luton and need to know who will be our number 2 QB next year.

Gardner was deemed the starter at the beginning of this year and would be starting right now if not for his hand injury. He was not benched for bad performance. If so, I could understand where people might be coming from more when it comes to giving Jake more playing time.

At this point Gardner is QB 1 and Jake is QB 2, but Jake is starting to Gardner's injury. At this point (as far as we know) they aren't battling to see who will be QB 2 next year. They can possibly do that in next season's training camp, if the Jags draft a QB high during the draft.

I wonder if some people don't want Gardner to start because there is concern he may come back from the injury and win some games. And that could alter the Jags draft position. If he played today, the Jags may have won the game against the Packers. Especially with the defense and ST playing as well as they did. And if the defense continues to show the type of effort and improvement they showed today, they could win at least a couple of more games, should he come back. They may could do that with Jake as well.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I don't think it matters. Have a sinking suspicion we get to do this all over again next year
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

Personally I don't care who plays QB what game the rest of the way. (or if they alternate games, halves, quarters, plays) Just play them all enough to get a good read on what they can contribute. Also, if one shows out really well we don't say "don't draft a QB because it will hurt his confidence" that is how we got here to begin with.
A new broom always sweeps clean.

(This post was last modified: 11-15-2020, 08:01 PM by mal234.)

(11-15-2020, 07:40 PM)MoJagFan Wrote: I don't think it matters. Have a sinking suspicion we get to do this all over again next year

I think it's interesting how a lot of people think that the Jags are all but guarantee to draft Trevor Lawrence or Justin Fields. The Jags have a bad record, but there is still no guarantee they will draft them. We have a lot of teams with bad records, a whole slew of them.

The Texans have a bad record, and were it not for their wins against the Jags, would be the worst team in this division. They haven't won games except against the Jags. The Chargers are struggling to win games and that is with a very talented young QB. The Eagles are struggling to win games, the Patriots are struggling to win games, with Bill Belichick as their HC. You just never know what could happen when everything shakes out.

I mean who would have thought that the defense (especially given the way they played throughout the first half of the season), would have played as well against the Packers today. The Jags defense was actually #1 in fantasy earlier today, lol. Now they are #2 with the late afternoon games going on. They are very young, but if a light switch has been turned on them and they are finally starting to gel, they could help the Jags win at least a little more this season. If they had played like this earlier on in the season, when the offense was playing better, the team would have more wins. The Jags might even have been a playoff teams if both sides of the ball had played better at the same time and been more consistent. If the defense keeps playing more like they did today, they may keep the team away from drafting someone like Trevor. With possibly Gardner or Jake as the QB. You never know.

Per cole pepper of news4jax

"In the second half, he fit the ball in a tight window on a touchdown pass to Keelan Cole. That’s a throw Gardner Minshew probably couldn’t have made. "

Yup, keep weany arm on the bench.

Well next week the Steelers come to town. This will be a good test.
A new broom always sweeps clean.

(11-15-2020, 08:19 PM)Jag149 Wrote: Well next week the Steelers come to town. This will be a good test.

Yes it will be. If the Jags can hang with an undefeated Steelers team that would be a good sign about the improvement of this team. The Cowboys who are not in good shape and are just about as bad off as the Jags have been (including defensively) actually kept their game against the Steelers close. Let's see what the Jags can do if the defense continues to improve.

(11-15-2020, 07:34 PM)mal234 Wrote:
(11-15-2020, 07:28 PM)Corriewf Wrote: We are 1-8, no one deserves a start... right now we have a very small sampling from Luton and need to know who will be our number 2 QB next year.

Gardner was deemed the starter at the beginning of this year and would be starting right now if not for his hand injury. He was not benched for bad performance. If so, I could understand where people might be coming from more when it comes to giving Jake more playing time.

At this point Gardner is QB 1 and Jake is QB 2, but Jake is starting to Gardner's injury. At this point (as far as we know) they aren't battling to see who will be QB 2 next year. They can possibly do that in next season's training camp, if the Jags draft a QB high during the draft.

I wonder if some people don't want Gardner to start because there is concern he may come back from the injury and win some games. And that could alter the Jags draft position. If he played today, the Jags may have won the game against the Packers. Especially with the defense and ST playing as well as they did. And if the defense continues to show the type of effort and improvement they showed today, they could win at least a couple of more games, should he come back. They may could do that with Jake as well.

That’s a lot of denial through teal shaded glasses. We don’t have a QB1 and there was talk of benching Minshew BEFORE his injury which is probably why he tried to hide it. 

We have one of it not the youngest defense in the NFL.. They showed some flashes today. If you care about this franchise you want all new coaching staff, front office, and a true QB1 going into next year. 

Those are the facts.

(11-15-2020, 09:05 PM)Corriewf Wrote:
(11-15-2020, 07:34 PM)mal234 Wrote: Gardner was deemed the starter at the beginning of this year and would be starting right now if not for his hand injury. He was not benched for bad performance. If so, I could understand where people might be coming from more when it comes to giving Jake more playing time.

That’s a lot of denial through teal shaded glasses. We don’t have a QB1 and there was talk of benching Minshew BEFORE his injury which is probably why he tried to hide it. 

We have one of it not the youngest defense in the NFL.. They showed some flashes today. If you care about this franchise you want all new coaching staff, front office, and a true QB1 going into next year. 

Those are the facts.

There is no denial. Gardner is QB 1 this year. That could change next year, but he is currently the starter on this team. We'll see what happens going forward.

Dude, just change your avatar to Luton then Fields cus we ain't getting trevor Lawrence. Minshew is old news. Your mancrush is so bad you just want his used jorts.

(This post was last modified: 11-15-2020, 09:30 PM by mal234.)

(11-15-2020, 09:17 PM)Jagsfan32277 Wrote: Dude, just change your avatar to Luton then Fields cus we ain't getting trevor Lawrence.  Minshew is old news.   Your mancrush is so bad you just want his used jorts.

This actually made me lol. 

I'm sorry I don't dislike him the way that some of you do. And I don't take every chance I get to constantly put him down, or swoon over other teams QB's, wishing the Jags had them instead of him. Or constantly post posts begging for Trevor Lawrence or Justin fields. Some of that stuff is cringeworthy and worse than me supporting Gardner who is actually a QB for the Jags and wants to play for this team. 

Some of you don't want Gardner to come back, because he is currently the best option at QB for this team to win. He is. And I think that you guys know that. That's not to say that Jake can't be good or even end up being better/having a better career than Gardner. That's not to say that the Jags can't or won't draft a QB next year that could end up being better than Gardner. But Gardner is currently the best QB on this team. I'm sorry that some of you don't like that truth.

(This post was last modified: 11-15-2020, 09:42 PM by MoJagFan.)

Oh we like the truth alright and unfortunately it hurts.  The front office has bungled the handling of free agents and handing out contracts.  Their drafts have lacked cohesion and don't seem to fit with the style of play the coaches are supposedly coaching up.  The coaches are nothing special.  My favorite thing about the broadcast today was them mixing in the Buffalo record for Marrone to make his seem closer to a .500 coach.
7 years Total  90 Games (38-52) .422
5 years Jax 58 Games (23-35) .397
2 years Buf 32 Games (15-17) .469

What makes it worse is he is buffered by the 2017 wins above the paultry 11-39 .282

EDIT:
David Caldwells results are really really dreadful as well.  The rinse repeat give them more time is going to kill me.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

If Minshew threw that touchdown laser to Cole you all would be ordering a pair jorts. But, he'll never be able to make that type of throw. Even the announcer was impressed saying it was a rocket.

(11-15-2020, 09:58 PM)Jagsfan32277 Wrote: If Minshew threw that touchdown laser to Cole you all would be ordering a pair jorts.   But, he'll never be able to make that type of throw. Even the announcer was impressed saying it was a rocket.

The arm strength narrative is so lazy. You guys hear one person say it and it takes off like wild fire.

Look at throws he made for TDs against the colts and raiders last season. Look at throws he has made into tight windows this season. He is not the biggest arm but he is an nfl arm

(11-16-2020, 12:00 AM)PS9 Wrote:
(11-15-2020, 09:58 PM)Jagsfan32277 Wrote: If Minshew threw that touchdown laser to Cole you all would be ordering a pair jorts.   But, he'll never be able to make that type of throw. Even the announcer was impressed saying it was a rocket.

The arm strength narrative is so lazy. You guys hear one person say it and it takes off like wild fire.

Look at throws he made for TDs against the colts and raiders last season. Look at throws he has made into tight windows this season. He is not the biggest arm but he is an nfl arm

Unless he sees his shadow and then here are not many games in winter for this team.... 

Minshew is busy running for dear life, missing his reads, and dumping off often poorly thrown passes. I like the kid, but he’s not the answer.

If you can't see the difference in arm strength between Minshew and Luton you're blind. Luton can rocket it off platform. Minshew has to have his feet totally set to throw lasers.

That's not to say he isn't better than Luton, but Minshew does not have an NFL arm.

(11-15-2020, 07:07 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(11-15-2020, 07:02 PM)mal234 Wrote: I think he will probably be put back in at some point. Especially if they believe that his injury was hampering his play the last few games before he started sitting out. 

I think that Doug is still fighting for his job. And he will end up doing whatever he thinks won't get him fired. I think if he thinks that inserting Gardner back into the lineup at some point, will help him out he will do that.

Jake has not played better than Gardner has at either one of their bests this season. And I don't know if he will. He might... I don't know. And I'm not trying to be hard on him, I do like him and though I am a Gardner fan, have been supportive of Jake as well. And I understand that he's a rookie and he can develop/grow. But I do think that Gardner still should get and is deserving of starting games and finishing out this season at some point. 

Unless ends up starting again and leading the Jags on a winning streak, I think we could see Gardner again at some point.

The injury had nothing to do with Minshew's play.
The kid peaked. He is what he is.

Doug isn't fighting for his job. He should be canned after the final game of the season. Nothing he does from here on out should save him. We need a clean sweep of the coaching staff and GM positions. 

I'm not really a fan of either QB. I just don't see the point in putting Minshew back in. We know what he is and it's not a franchise QB. Lets keep Luton in and see if he could develop into a decent backup. 

I hope you're wrong.

A broken thumb has nothing to do with a quarterback's poor play?  Really?  I don't care how bad  or great a quarterback is, a broken thumb is going to hamper their play.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(11-15-2020, 07:07 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(11-15-2020, 07:02 PM)mal234 Wrote: I think he will probably be put back in at some point. Especially if they believe that his injury was hampering his play the last few games before he started sitting out. 

I think that Doug is still fighting for his job. And he will end up doing whatever he thinks won't get him fired. I think if he thinks that inserting Gardner back into the lineup at some point, will help him out he will do that.

Jake has not played better than Gardner has at either one of their bests this season. And I don't know if he will. He might... I don't know. And I'm not trying to be hard on him, I do like him and though I am a Gardner fan, have been supportive of Jake as well. And I understand that he's a rookie and he can develop/grow. But I do think that Gardner still should get and is deserving of starting games and finishing out this season at some point. 

Unless ends up starting again and leading the Jags on a winning streak, I think we could see Gardner again at some point.

The injury had nothing to do with Minshew's play. The kid peaked. He is what he is.

Doug isn't fighting for his job. He should be canned after the final game of the season. Nothing he does from here on out should save him. We need a clean sweep of the coaching staff and GM positions. 

I'm not really a fan of either QB. I just don't see the point in putting Minshew back in. We know what he is and it's not a franchise QB. Lets keep Luton in and see if he could develop into a decent backup. 

I hope you're wrong.

How could he peak with a broken throwing hand? Makes no sense. He did play better when he was healthy of that there is no doubt. Whether that was good enough is certainly debatable but I think most people want Minshew to stay out because they're worried he may help the Jags win another admittedly pointless game or two. That of course would ruin the chances of drafting a mythical savior. I still think Minshew should go back in when he's healthy, he's the best QB on the roster.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

Keep Minshew as the backup or temporary starter next year. He has a high football IQ and will be a good mentor for Justin Fields.

I don't care who starts, as long as they are good enough to guide the team to a competitive loss.

This week will probably tell us volumes about whether Luton can hang - GB is not a defensive powerhouse, and had a poor outing. Pitt will have a few games of film on him now, and I fear their D a whole heckuva lot more than I did GB. If Minshew isn't fully recovered, I don't bring him back for this game, lest he be broken more extensively.