Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Minshew done the rest of the year?

(This post was last modified: 11-16-2020, 10:56 AM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(11-16-2020, 09:57 AM)hb1148 Wrote:
(11-15-2020, 07:07 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: The injury had nothing to do with Minshew's play. The kid peaked. He is what he is.

Doug isn't fighting for his job. He should be canned after the final game of the season. Nothing he does from here on out should save him. We need a clean sweep of the coaching staff and GM positions. 

I'm not really a fan of either QB. I just don't see the point in putting Minshew back in. We know what he is and it's not a franchise QB. Lets keep Luton in and see if he could develop into a decent backup. 

I hope you're wrong.

How could he peak with a broken throwing hand? Makes no sense. He did play better when he was healthy of that there is no doubt. Whether that was good enough is certainly debatable but I think most people want Minshew to stay out because they're worried he may help the Jags win another admittedly pointless game or two. That of course would ruin the chances of drafting a mythical savior. I still think Minshew should go back in when he's healthy, he's the best QB on the roster.

Minshew had peaked before the injury. Minshew fans are trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. He's not a franchise QB. He is what he is. Whether he starts or Luton starts, the draft plan stays the same. I just wanna see Luton get more experience and see if he can develop into a decent backup. Minshew had his shot. It's time to let Luton have a chance now. 

I'm certainly not worried about Minshew winning a game. We're not getting the #1 pick. The Jets have a stranglehold on that thing and having the #1 pick is what it will get to draft Lawrence. I hate Fields, so it doesn't matter if we draft #2 or #32 to me. I'm all for drafting the BAP, regardless of position. We have a ton of needs, so we could use a player at almost every position.

(11-16-2020, 09:58 AM)Newton Wrote: Keep Minshew as the backup or temporary starter next year. He has a high football IQ and will be a good mentor for Justin Fields.

That whole scenario makes me wanna puke.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Luton or Minshew. Doesn’t matter at all.

There will be a new QB here next year with a new HC and OC.

Some of you are arguing about something that doesn’t matter.

(11-16-2020, 09:26 AM)JaguarKick Wrote: If you can't see the difference in arm strength between Minshew and Luton you're blind.  Luton can rocket it off platform.  Minshew has to have his feet totally set to throw lasers.

That's not to say he isn't better than Luton, but Minshew does not have an NFL arm.

If you could combine Luton's arm strength and size with Minshew's accuracy and improvisational ability,  you'd have a franchise QB.  Neither guy is a solution at starter, but one of them will be a solid backup for this team once we have our franchise guy.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

(11-16-2020, 10:54 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(11-16-2020, 09:57 AM)hb1148 Wrote: How could he peak with a broken throwing hand? Makes no sense. He did play better when he was healthy of that there is no doubt. Whether that was good enough is certainly debatable but I think most people want Minshew to stay out because they're worried he may help the Jags win another admittedly pointless game or two. That of course would ruin the chances of drafting a mythical savior. I still think Minshew should go back in when he's healthy, he's the best QB on the roster.

Minshew had peaked before the injury. Minshew fans are trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. He's not a franchise QB. He is what he is. Whether he starts or Luton starts, the draft plan stays the same. I just wanna see Luton get more experience and see if he can develop into a decent backup. Minshew had his shot. It's time to let Luton have a chance now. 

I'm certainly not worried about Minshew winning a game. We're not getting the #1 pick. The Jets have a stranglehold on that thing and having the #1 pick is what it will get to draft Lawrence. I hate Fields, so it doesn't matter if we draft #2 or #32 to me. I'm all for drafting the BAP, regardless of position. We have a ton of needs, so we could use a player at almost every position.

(11-16-2020, 09:58 AM)Newton Wrote: Keep Minshew as the backup or temporary starter next year. He has a high football IQ and will be a good mentor for Justin Fields.

That whole scenario makes me wanna puke.

That's not a fact that's just your opinion.

You would have said the same thing about Drew Brees after his first 3 seasons.
Minshew is on his second year with a horrible coaching staff and a mediocre at best O-line.

And no, I am not saying he is a franchise QB but to say he already peaked it is BS.
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

What evidence do we have that Minshew has a high football IQ?

(11-16-2020, 11:51 AM)Upper Wrote: What evidence do we have that Minshew has a high football IQ?

Well, mainly based off coaches and the fact he was Recruited to Alabama for a back up role to get into coaching. Also he had a high wonderlik (sp?).  More evidence than we have for most things we talk about on here

(11-16-2020, 01:30 PM)Newton Wrote:
(11-16-2020, 11:51 AM)Upper Wrote: What evidence do we have that Minshew has a high football IQ?

Well, mainly based off coaches and the fact he was Recruited to Alabama for a back up role to get into coaching. Also he had a high wonderlik (sp?).  More evidence than we have for most things we talk about on here

That means nothing. There is high I.Q. and high football I.Q. They are two entirely different things. Ryan Fitzpatrick graduated from Harvard, scored a 48 out of 50 on his wonderlic test and scored a 1580 on his SAT back when it was out of 1600. He has never been able to hold onto a starting job.

(11-16-2020, 01:30 PM)Newton Wrote:

I think it's more things like seeing the field well, manipulating safeties with your eyes or pump fakes, sensing pressure in the pocket or knowing when he has time to stay in the pocket...stuff like that. Minshew hasn't shown any of that, especially the pocket presence. Dude regularly bails from clean pockets and hangs in messy pockets.

There have been a number of breakdowns that demonstrate that he's operating at a fairly high level given his experience. You can Google to find them if you're interested. He's also been able to pick up new offenses fairly effortlessly based on comments from coaches past and present. None of that is likely to convince you though if you've already made up your mind that he doesn't.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(11-16-2020, 02:15 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(11-16-2020, 01:30 PM)Newton Wrote: Well, mainly based off coaches and the fact he was Recruited to Alabama for a back up role to get into coaching. Also he had a high wonderlik (sp?).  More evidence than we have for most things we talk about on here

That means nothing. There is high I.Q. and high football I.Q. They are two entirely different things. Ryan Fitzpatrick graduated from Harvard, scored a 48 out of 50 on his wonderlic test and scored a 1580 on his SAT back when it was out of 1600. He has never been able to hold onto a starting job.

Just to support this argument.  Tom Brady has a wonderlic score of 33. Brady also went to Michigan which is a far cry from the ivy league Harvard education.
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

According to Doug Gardner will start throwing this week in practice. But he still "isn't ready" to start again yet. It sounds like Jake will start against the Steelers and Gardner may come back some point after that game. Doug isn't exactly sure when though, he wants to see how Gardner is looking when he starts throwing again.

https://www.si.com/nfl/jaguars/news/gard...s-steelers

(11-16-2020, 10:50 PM)mal234 Wrote: According to Doug Gardner will start throwing this week in practice. But he still "isn't ready" to start again yet. It sounds like Jake will start against the Steelers and Gardner may come back some point after that game. Doug isn't exactly sure when though, he wants to see how Gardner is looking when he starts throwing again.

https://www.si.com/nfl/jaguars/news/gard...s-steelers

Personally I think Luton hasn't been good enough to permanently move Minshew to the bench... If he's healthy I think he deserves to get his starting job back.
I mean, it's probably a moot point, neither guy is "the guy". 

My personal preference is to give Minshew back the job and let him finish what he started. Even if it doesn't mean winning the job. I dunno... just like a "thanks for the memories" thing I guess. There was a stretch last year and started this year making it fun to watch games again... which hasn't happened much since 2017.

I think Luton is going to get lit up by the Steelers this weekend. As if he hasn't been average enough, wait till he faces a real pass rush.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(11-17-2020, 11:43 AM)RicoTx Wrote: I think Luton is going to get lit up by the Steelers this weekend.  As if he hasn't been average enough, wait till he faces a real pass rush.

Indeed tinhorns have one of the worst defenses and the Packers defense isn't special. The Packers game was close because of our defense (wow, did I just say that) and our special teams, not really much our offense (or Luton) did.

(11-16-2020, 05:13 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote:
(11-16-2020, 02:15 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: That means nothing. There is high I.Q. and high football I.Q. They are two entirely different things. Ryan Fitzpatrick graduated from Harvard, scored a 48 out of 50 on his wonderlic test and scored a 1580 on his SAT back when it was out of 1600. He has never been able to hold onto a starting job.

Just to support this argument.  Tom Brady has a wonderlic score of 33. Brady also went to Michigan which is a far cry from the ivy league Harvard education.
Further argument:  Fitzpatrick, while not holding onto a starting job has still managed to stick around the league long enough to be top 35 all time in passing yards and TDs.  

I’m sure that intelligence between his ears has something to do with it.

Something keeps teams bringing the guy back.

“Motivation alone is not enough.  If you have an idiot and you motivate him,now you have a motivated idiot.” Jim Rohn

Longest drive was 43 yards ending in a punt Sunday. This offense is humming along under Luton.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

(11-17-2020, 01:52 PM)MoJagFan Wrote: Longest drive was 43 yards ending in a punt Sunday. This offense is humming along under Luton.

Gruden was calling some very frustrating plays on Sunday. I would've loved to see us take some shots downfield. Can someone please explain to me why we didn't try it when we had the win to our backs, but we waited until the second quarter when we had a strong winds right in our face? Chark was running ahead of the DB by a good 5 yards, but the ball got caught in a gust of wind and hung up, allowing the pass to be knocked away. Had we tried that with the wind at our back, that would've been an easy 6 points. What was Gruden thinking and why didn't we try that pass again, once we changed ends of the field?

(11-17-2020, 01:51 PM)NCJag Wrote:
(11-16-2020, 05:13 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: Just to support this argument.  Tom Brady has a wonderlic score of 33. Brady also went to Michigan which is a far cry from the ivy league Harvard education.
Further argument:  Fitzpatrick, while not holding onto a starting job has still managed to stick around the league long enough to be top 35 all time in passing yards and TDs.  

Fitzpatrick has actually often been lauded for his high football IQ (as recently as this season by Chan Gailey), which as you point out speaks to his longevity in the league. He's just not as physically gifted as most and has usually been on bad teams throughout his career.

(11-17-2020, 03:15 PM)Kane Wrote:
(11-17-2020, 01:51 PM)NCJag Wrote: Further argument:  Fitzpatrick, while not holding onto a starting job has still managed to stick around the league long enough to be top 35 all time in passing yards and TDs.  

Fitzpatrick has actually often been lauded for his high football IQ (as recently as this season by Chan Gailey), which as you point out speaks to his longevity in the league. He's just not as physically gifted as most and has usually been on bad teams throughout his career.

And apparently he’s smart enough to beat the Jags 6 times....with 6 different teams?‍♂️

“Motivation alone is not enough.  If you have an idiot and you motivate him,now you have a motivated idiot.” Jim Rohn

(11-17-2020, 06:12 PM)NCJag Wrote:
(11-17-2020, 03:15 PM)Kane Wrote: Fitzpatrick has actually often been lauded for his high football IQ (as recently as this season by Chan Gailey), which as you point out speaks to his longevity in the league. He's just not as physically gifted as most and has usually been on bad teams throughout his career.

And apparently he’s smart enough to beat the Jags 6 times....with 6 different teams?‍♂️

Forest Gump could beat this team.
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]