Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The nice thread

(11-23-2020, 08:27 PM)Jags Wrote:
(11-23-2020, 08:20 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: I've been teaching a young lad to shoot trap. He scored 19/25 his last time out. Not too bad for a 9 year old.

I know there’s a difference, but did you or he say “Ahhh skeet skeet skeet skeet”?

Haha, I don't really mess around at the club, the dude that runs it on Sundays in a little tight with the rules.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 11-23-2020, 09:04 PM by Jags.)

(11-23-2020, 08:58 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote:
(11-23-2020, 08:27 PM)Jags Wrote: I know there’s a difference, but did you or he say “Ahhh skeet skeet skeet skeet”?

Haha, I don't really mess around at the club, the dude that runs it on Sundays in a little tight with the rules.
Yeah, play by the rules.  Don’t make the range master upset.  But with all that land and with the crops done,  your own property wasn’t an option?

I haven’t shot skeet in many years. My uncle would bring boxes of them and a launcher so we could shoot all day behind the house. He could take out three cleanly using a pump.

(11-23-2020, 09:03 PM)Jags Wrote:
(11-23-2020, 08:58 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: Haha, I don't really mess around at the club, the dude that runs it on Sundays in a little tight with the rules.
Yeah, play by the rules.  Don’t make the range master upset.  But with all that land and with the crops done,  your own property wasn’t an option?

I have a few throwers and plenty of space for it but it's usually more of a hassle than it's worth. It's really hard to be sure there's no one tresspassing where I can't see them, and it kinda pisses the neighbors off. Plus, people really like to follow up their own misses and it always leaves me with a bunch of shot up irrigation lines. 

The club is one country block away and it's $5 a game. If I was buying the clays it probably wouldn't be much different. Their throwers are a lot faster but much more consistent in pattern. I think it's better for trap. The kid can barely hold the gun up so it helps a lot to know right where it will fly.

(11-23-2020, 09:09 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: I haven’t shot skeet in many years. My uncle would bring boxes of them and a launcher so we could shoot all day behind the house. He could take out three cleanly using a pump.

Trap? The clays are moving away from you? Or side to side? 

3 at the same time for skeet is crazy fast.

(11-23-2020, 09:28 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote:
(11-23-2020, 09:03 PM)Jags Wrote: Yeah, play by the rules.  Don’t make the range master upset.  But with all that land and with the crops done,  your own property wasn’t an option?

I have a few throwers and plenty of space for it but it's usually more of a hassle than it's worth. It's really hard to be sure there's no one tresspassing where I can't see them, and it kinda pisses the neighbors off. Plus, people really like to follow up their own misses and it always leaves me with a bunch of shot up irrigation lines. 

The club is one country block away and it's $5 a game. If I was buying the clays it probably wouldn't be much different. Their throwers are a lot faster but much more consistent in pattern. I think it's better for trap. The kid can barely hold the gun up so it helps a lot to know right where it will fly.

(11-23-2020, 09:09 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: I haven’t shot skeet in many years. My uncle would bring boxes of them and a launcher so we could shoot all day behind the house. He could take out three cleanly using a pump.

I'm not sure of the distinction. We always called it skeet, but it was a single launcher throwing away.

(11-23-2020, 09:46 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(11-23-2020, 09:28 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: I have a few throwers and plenty of space for it but it's usually more of a hassle than it's worth. It's really hard to be sure there's no one tresspassing where I can't see them, and it kinda pisses the neighbors off. Plus, people really like to follow up their own misses and it always leaves me with a bunch of shot up irrigation lines. 

I'm not sure of the distinction. We always called it skeet, but it was a single launcher throwing away.

That's trap, but unless you're in a organized setting, there isn't much of a distinction.  Skeet features multiple launch stations, with a wider range of release angles and differing trajectories.  
I've never shot any at a formal club or range, just with friends on private land and we've always described it as "shooting some clay birds".
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

Yeah like Sneakers said, skeet is a pretty distinct game. High house left, low house right. You move in a semi-circle between them to change the angles. 

Most of the time if you're shooting in the yard or whatnot, it's more of an unofficial trap game. The pigeon moves up and straight out from you. 

Both super fun and a little bit different skillset.

I should probably just stay out of this thread..

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

Does anyone remember when you could shoot trap off the back of a cruise ship?
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

(11-24-2020, 09:27 AM)Sneakers Wrote: Does anyone remember when you could shoot trap off the back of a cruise ship?

Never been on a cruise ship but I have shot large floating garbage bags with a .50 cal off the fantail of an aircraft carrier. That was fun.

(11-24-2020, 09:27 AM)Sneakers Wrote: Does anyone remember when you could shoot trap off the back of a cruise ship?

I do actually. Had forgotten about that, think the last one I went on that did that was in the early/mid 1990s.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(11-24-2020, 02:52 AM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: Yeah like Sneakers said, skeet is a pretty distinct game. High house left, low house right. You move in a semi-circle between them to change the angles. 

Most of the time if you're shooting in the yard or whatnot, it's more of an unofficial trap game. The pigeon moves up and straight out from you. 

I never realized there was a difference.  I have always called shooting clay pigeons "skeet".  Either way I'm trying to get better at it.  Right now I average hitting about 2 out of 10.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(11-24-2020, 07:30 AM)WingerDinger Wrote: I should probably just stay out of this thread..

I skeet skeet skeet all the time.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

I used to work at a trap shooting club on the weekends when I was in college. They would let me shoot after everyone was finished. It was really fun. I haven't done it in many years, but my best score was 47/50. Those guys would use $2000 Brownings and $1500 Weatherby over and unders and I'd pull out my Remington 870 Express that I hunted with. Nice bunch of guys. I remember one guy had a really bad temper though and when he would miss, he would slam the barrel of his gun, nose first into the cement. I swear, he was gonna "mushroom" the end of his barrel. Another time, one of the newer members got a new loader for Christmas and started loading his own shells. He messed up some way and put double the amount of black powder in. He took one shot and I thought the gun exploded. I swear, my muzzleloader didn't make as much noise as that did. My ears were ringing, even with the hearing protection. The guys came running out of the clubhouse to see what happened. Everyone and the gun was fine, but they banned him from ever using personally loaded shells.

What's nice is watching World's Dumbest... on truTV. I enjoy belly laughs every time.

(11-24-2020, 02:58 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(11-24-2020, 02:52 AM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: Yeah like Sneakers said, skeet is a pretty distinct game. High house left, low house right. You move in a semi-circle between them to change the angles. 

I never realized there was a difference.  I have always called shooting clay pigeons "skeet".  Either way I'm trying to get better at it.  Right now I average hitting about 2 out of 10.

At whichever distance most of the clays are breaking, set out a 30 inch target and shoot at it for a bit. An actual target on a post or tree not like a watermelon. This is so you can see how the guns patterns. Gun to gun can be pretty different, and if you have screw in chokes, obviously a large difference there as well. 

Some guns, the bead covers the clay, some you get the bead on the bottom tip of the clay. I have a mid bead so I make a figure 8 with the top circle of the 8 covering the bottom half of the clay. Really helpful to know what your gun is wanting to do. 

For chokes, I'd start with an IC or if you're a little slower (the clay starts falling before you shoot) maybe a LM.

(11-24-2020, 06:14 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote:
(11-24-2020, 02:58 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: I never realized there was a difference.  I have always called shooting clay pigeons "skeet".  Either way I'm trying to get better at it.  Right now I average hitting about 2 out of 10.

At whichever distance most of the clays are breaking, set out a 30 inch target and shoot at it for a bit. An actual target on a post or tree not like a watermelon. This is so you can see how the guns patterns. Gun to gun can be pretty different, and if you have screw in chokes, obviously a large difference there as well. 

Some guns, the bead covers the clay, some you get the bead on the bottom tip of the clay. I have a mid bead so I make a figure 8 with the top circle of the 8 covering the bottom half of the clay. Really helpful to know what your gun is wanting to do. 

For chokes, I'd start with an IC or if you're a little slower (the clay starts falling before you shoot) maybe a LM.

LOL.  Great information, but way more advanced than what I do.  Funny thing... I did my best clay shooting with my Mossberg Maveric 88 which is an inexpensive short barreled shotgun designed more for defense rather than shooting clays.  I brought it out kind of as a "joke" and was able to shoot a few with some #8 shot.  I imagine the wide barrel plus using target loads compensated for my lack of skill.

Most of the time I use my friend's shotguns in both 12ga and 18ga so I'm not real familiar with them.  I find that my best success has been with the bead just below the target.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

I don't know what kind of shotguns my uncle brought with him but I always opted for the 20ga because being small for my age until 15, the 12ga would start to beat me to death after a while.

He once brought an old Browning with the high receiver and had me shoot it. I swung it up, took quick aim and shot. The receiver kicked back straight into my nose. Why it didn't start bleeding, I don't know. It was just like a hard punch. I thought it was cruel my uncle was laughing until he pointed out that I killed the clay. Btw, I always beaded just below the target too. There's a fine edge there between clean and wing.

Went out this morning and saw a half dozen ducks, but none were close enough to take a shot. Heard some shots from the Intercoastal around 7:30 tough, so maybe I'll head over there Friday or Saturday. Hopefully better luck tomorrow.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(11-24-2020, 07:57 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: I don't know what kind of shotguns my uncle brought with him but I always opted for the 20ga because being small for my age until 15, the 12ga would start to beat me to death after a while.

He once brought an old Browning with the high receiver and had me shoot it. I swung it up, took quick aim and shot. The receiver kicked back straight into my nose. Why it didn't start bleeding, I don't know. It was just like a hard punch. I thought it was cruel my uncle was laughing until he pointed out that I killed the clay. Btw, I always beaded just below the target too. There's a fine edge there between clean and wing.

Ha, a Browning Auto 5. Good old gun! 12 gauge will beat me up still unless I'm shooting really regularly or it's a gas action.

When I was a kid, and space was way more open than it is now, my dad took me out to the ranch and handed me his 7mm Mag to go shoot with while he worked. If anyone has ever shot one, or really anything close to that size, you know they kick like a mule. Not only did it knock me to the ground, I scoped my eye pretty good as well.