Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
If we pick at 2 what would it take to get #1?

What do yall think it would take to move up 1 spot to take Lawrence?  Both 1sts and a 2nd?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Probably both firsts and next years first and that still wouldn’t be enough most likely. Only hope is Lawrence flat out says he won’t play for the Jets and they trade back a spot or Fields plays out of his mind the rest of the year to narrow the gap.

(11-23-2020, 10:44 AM)HolsterHusto Wrote: Probably both firsts and next years first and that still wouldn’t be enough most likely. Only hope is Lawrence flat out says he won’t play for the Jets and they trade back a spot or Fields plays out of his mind the rest of the year to narrow the gap.

Why on Earth do you think Lawrence wouldn't want to play in the country's largest television market and opt to play for the Jaguars who have been historically horrible?

(11-23-2020, 11:45 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(11-23-2020, 10:44 AM)HolsterHusto Wrote: Probably both firsts and next years first and that still wouldn’t be enough most likely. Only hope is Lawrence flat out says he won’t play for the Jets and they trade back a spot or Fields plays out of his mind the rest of the year to narrow the gap.

Why on Earth do you think Lawrence wouldn't want to play in the country's largest television market and opt to play for the Jaguars who have been historically horrible?

I didn’t say that he would demand a trade to Jax, just that he wouldn’t want to play for the Jets. But a few reasons could be:

1) No state income tax
2) Not having to deal with the NY media, which he already seems annoyed with based some of his Clemson press conferences
3) Small town southern kid may not like the idea of NY
4) Won’t have to play/live in New Jersey
5) Closer to home and his family 

I don’t know how Trevor feels about NY... no one does. It’s not likely, but that is probably the only way NY would trade the pick.

I didnt think the players could refuse to play for a team that drafts them. I mean I guess they could just not sign the contract or not show up, but then what happens? There has to be some kind of rule with some kind of punishment for that

(11-23-2020, 12:00 PM)wrong_box Wrote: I didnt think the players could refuse to play for a team that drafts them. I mean I guess they could just not sign the contract  or not show up, but then what happens? There has to be some kind of rule with some kind of punishment for that

Eli Manning

(11-23-2020, 11:53 AM)HolsterHusto Wrote:
(11-23-2020, 11:45 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Why on Earth do you think Lawrence wouldn't want to play in the country's largest television market and opt to play for the Jaguars who have been historically horrible?

I didn’t say that he would demand a trade to Jax, just that he wouldn’t want to play for the Jets. But a few reasons could be:

1) No state income tax
2) Not having to deal with the NY media, which he already seems annoyed with based some of his Clemson press conferences
3) Small town southern kid may not like the idea of NY
4) Won’t have to play/live in New Jersey
5) Closer to home and his family 

I don’t know how Trevor feels about NY... no one does. It’s not likely, but that is probably the only way NY would trade the pick.

It simply can't be Caldwell drafting him and Marrone coaching him. I would stay in school before that happened. This franchise needs a total reset and this is the perfect opportunity for that to happen.

(11-23-2020, 12:00 PM)wrong_box Wrote: I didnt think the players could refuse to play for a team that drafts them. I mean I guess they could just not sign the contract  or not show up, but then what happens? There has to be some kind of rule with some kind of punishment for that

They go back in the draft next year a la Bo Jackson.

It would take A LOT to trade up even one spot to get Lawrence and there is no way we should pull off such a move. This team is deficient at almost every position and giving away draft capital is not the way to build a team. Cincinnati drafted Joe Burrow last season, but they neglected to given him an offensive line. For years they have ignored the O-Line and Burrow was hit more than any QB in the NFL. Now, he's out for the season with a torn ACL. What good was drafting a franchise QB when you have no O-line to keep him upright. Now, the Bengals will be without him this season and in many cases, it takes a player another full season to fully get over the injury. When he does return, he will likely not be the same player he was before the injury until at least 2022. I don't wanna build things that way. We need to take truly elite players when we have the chance. If Lawrence is off the board, we have to take OT Penei Sewell. Robinson is not the answer at LT and other than Eichenberg of Notre Dame, this class of OT's is largely filled with projects. Free agency is pretty much barren as well. We should keep the draft picks, because as many picks as we have, we have even more needs.

If no Lawrence then Sewell should be the pick IMO.

(This post was last modified: 11-23-2020, 07:07 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(11-23-2020, 06:56 PM)uthill Wrote: If no Lawrence then Sewell should be the pick IMO.

Thank you, it would be the first step in the right direction

(11-23-2020, 06:56 PM)uthill Wrote: If no Lawrence then Sewell should be the pick IMO.

Thank you, it would be the first step in the right direction

Is Sewell a guaranteed cant miss OT prospect? We have been without a qb far far too long Imo to go playing around with other positions even one as imp as LT. We have to get the qb position fixed sooner rather than later. I would really like to take both Fields and Trask. Trask has proven he doesnt mind sitting. Figure out which one is the best and you have tradebait for the other. LT is a harder deciion. Dont we have a 5th yr option on Robinson we can still use.

(11-23-2020, 07:14 PM)surfon Wrote: Is Sewell a guaranteed cant miss OT prospect?  We have been without a qb far far too long Imo to go playing around with other positions even one as imp as LT.  We have to get the qb position fixed sooner rather than later.  I would really like to take both Fields and Trask.  Trask has proven he doesnt mind sitting.  Figure out which one is the best and you have tradebait for the other.  LT is a harder deciion.  Dont we have a 5th yr option on Robinson we can still use.

Nobody is a guaranteed "can't miss." With that said, I truly believe he is the safest pick in the draft. 

As for Robinson, I wouldn't start a rookie QB behind a line anchored by Robinson and Taylor. Look what happened to Burrow.

(This post was last modified: 11-24-2020, 08:29 PM by NeptuneBeachBum.)

(11-23-2020, 09:22 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: What do yall think it would take to move up 1 spot to take Lawrence?  Both 1sts and a 2nd?

To move up ONE spot?  I don't see us giving up that much.  When the Bears moved up from #3 to #2 for Trubisky (brutal move), they only gave up their 3rd overall pick plus two 3rd round picks and a 4th.  I'd offer our 2nd overall pick, a 2nd, and 3rd.  I can't see two 1sts and a 2nd to move up one spot. Otherwise, stick with Sewell.
This is a results-oriented business.  There are no trophies or titles given for "moral victories" or for "winning the draft".  Our record with DC is 37-86.  6-10 is our 2nd best season in 8 years of Caldwell leadership.  These are the FACTS.

(11-24-2020, 08:26 PM)NeptuneBeachBum Wrote:
(11-23-2020, 09:22 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: What do yall think it would take to move up 1 spot to take Lawrence?  Both 1sts and a 2nd?

To move up ONE spot?  I don't see us giving up that much.  When the Bears moved up from #3 to #2 for Trubisky (brutal move), they only gave up their 3rd overall pick plus two 3rd round picks and a 4th.  I'd offer our 2nd overall pick, a 2nd, and 3rd.  I can't see two 1sts and a 2nd to move up one spot.  Otherwise, stick with Sewell.

I am generally in agreement with you and with your sentiment here but I think with Lawrence present at the top, it might take a king's ransom to pry him away from the Jets.

I think he's as great as they come out of the college ranks like Manning, et al.

But with our team, I wouldn't expend that much draft capital to move up because we are in dire need at many positions - and those hypothetical picks that we give up could most certainly equate to quality starters.

(This post was last modified: 11-26-2020, 01:43 AM by Eric1.)

(11-24-2020, 08:26 PM)NeptuneBeachBum Wrote:

To move up ONE spot?  I don't see us giving up that much.  When the Bears moved up from #3 to #2 for Trubisky (brutal move), they only gave up their 3rd overall pick plus two 3rd round picks and a 4th.  I'd offer our 2nd overall pick, a 2nd, and 3rd.  I can't see two 1sts and a 2nd to move up one spot.  Otherwise, stick with Sewell.

Those 2nd and 3rd round picks should be starters on this team. We have way too many holes/depth to fill to be trading away picks. We currently have 4 picks in the top 50 and 7 picks in the first 4 rounds. Every one of those picks need to be used here, we can't afford to be trading them away.

If the Jets are willing to trade out of number 1 overall, they will be fielding offers that include multiple first/ second/ third round picks. It would be a king’s ransom type of trade.

Is it worth it for Lawrence? Debatable.
Will a second and third get it done? Absolutely not.

We would need to be willing to part with both firsts and both seconds. Cleveland was reportedly offering their entire draft and then some for the rights to Luck. That is the type of offer we would need to make.

(11-26-2020, 08:48 AM)rufftime Wrote: If the Jets are willing to trade out of number 1 overall, they will be fielding offers that include multiple first/ second/ third round picks. It would be a king’s ransom type of trade.

Is it worth it for Lawrence? Debatable.
Will a second and third get it done? Absolutely not.

We would need to be willing to part with both firsts and both seconds.  Cleveland was reportedly offering their entire draft and then some for the rights to Luck.  That is the type of offer we would need to make.

Yeah, it will take much more than a 2nd and 3rd to move up a spot.  It would take both 1sts and a 2nd at the very least

(This post was last modified: 11-26-2020, 11:05 AM by NeptuneBeachBum.)

(11-26-2020, 01:42 AM)Eric1 Wrote:
(11-24-2020, 08:26 PM)NeptuneBeachBum Wrote: To move up ONE spot?  I don't see us giving up that much.  When the Bears moved up from #3 to #2 for Trubisky (brutal move), they only gave up their 3rd overall pick plus two 3rd round picks and a 4th.  I'd offer our 2nd overall pick, a 2nd, and 3rd.  I can't see two 1sts and a 2nd to move up one spot.  Otherwise, stick with Sewell.

Those 2nd and 3rd round picks should be starters on this team. We have way too many holes/depth to fill to be trading away picks. We currently have 4 picks in the top 50 and 7 picks in the first 4 rounds. Every one of those picks need to be used here, we can't afford to be trading them away.

So you're saying that it wouldn't be worth it to give up a 2nd and a 3rd for Peyton Manning or Patrick Mahomes on their rookie deal?  Because that's what were are talking about here if you believe the Trevor Lawrence hype that he's a can't miss franchise QB... the type of player we have never had here before.  Of course there are no guarantees, just as there are no guarantees that your 2nd and 3rd round picks will be any good either.  But I'd give up Jawaan Taylor and Josh Oliver (2nd and 3rd rounders respectively in 2019) for Trevor Lawrence in a heart beat; quality over quantity.  Hell, I'd trade a 2nd and a 3rd for Joe Burrow (pre-injury). The fact we do have draft capital in 2021, and cap space for free agents, to add more quality players would make me feel even better making that move.

That being said, I tend to agree with flgatorsandjags that someone else will likely be desperate and dramatically overpay to go up and get that #1 pick.  People thought the Bears overpaid in 2017, giving up two-3rds and a 4th to flip picks from #3 to #2 to get Trubisky, but Lawrence has much more hype around him than that.  I'd cap our offer at flipping 1st's, plus a 2nd and a 3rd; someone else would likely outbid us. I'd be fine with Sewell, but at some point you need to find your QB.  Minshew et al. ain't it.
This is a results-oriented business.  There are no trophies or titles given for "moral victories" or for "winning the draft".  Our record with DC is 37-86.  6-10 is our 2nd best season in 8 years of Caldwell leadership.  These are the FACTS.

I'd give up both 1sts and a 2nd to get Lawrence in a heartbeat. We'd still have ammo between the rest of our picks + a ton of cap space to build around Lawrence if we have a competent GM next year.