Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
If we pick at 2 what would it take to get #1?

(11-27-2020, 11:39 PM)NeptuneBeachBum Wrote:
(11-27-2020, 11:26 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I gotta disagree with this assessment. I like Lawrence a lot and see him as by far, the best QB prospect in this draft, but I definitely don't consider him a generational talent. In fact, I don't think he's as good as Joe Burrow was coming out of college last year and I certainly don't think he's as good as Andrew Luck was either. Luck was the last QB that I would've genuinely given almost anything to trade up for. I just don't like trading up, ever. Luck was the only time I went against that idea. In general, I like trading down and accumulating picks or just staying put. If we finish with the #2 pick, I say stay put and take Sewell. If we finish lower than #2, I'd have to see who's ahead of us. In my mind there is two elite players in that draft (Lawrence and Sewell.) If we can't get either one, we might as well trade down a few spots and accumulate more picks for 2022.

Its not my assessment; I haven't  watched him enough to form a strong opinion one way or the other.  I'm just saying that the hype and rhetoric around him hasn't been this high on a QB prospect since Luck came out, and only matched by the other guys I've mentioned.  I'm just saying, if you believe this guy is that type of talent, then you try to go up (within reason) to get him.  As a rule, I'm with you on moving back and accumulating picks unless you love a guy's value at your draft position.  If you move up to get a guy, its OK to be aggressive... but you better be right.

Being too aggressive, even if you hit can be costly as well. Keep in mind that we could really use a good TE as a "safety net" for a young QB. Then, take into account that our LT will be an UFA and he's only a middle of the road type of OT, that isn't worth a big, long term contract. Then figure in that we are currently 19th in the league in INT's, 29th in passing yards allowed, 26th in passing TD's allowed and dead last in sacks. We have A LOT of holes to fill. That means many new starters. We can't use too many picks to trade up, because our defense is a complete mess. I don't wanna burden a young QB with having to score over 30 points a game in order for us to compete.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(11-27-2020, 07:54 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(11-27-2020, 07:47 PM)NeptuneBeachBum Wrote: Lawrence is being spoken of like John Elway or Peyton Manning.  Not since Andrew Luck has anyone been considered a generational talent like this.  Not Cam Newton.  Not Baker Mayfield.  Not Sam Bradford.  Not Matthew Stafford.  What QB are you referring to that has been hyped like this and missed?

That being said, it will be up to our new GM to determine if that assessment is warranted and evaluate the price they would be willing to pay to get him.  Unless the Jets can beat the Dolphins this weekend... that would help!

Generational type talent gets thrown around every year. I'm not just talking about the QB position, I'm talking about every position in general. They get put up so high on this pedestal, it's almost impossible for them to live up to the hype.

But regardless, I'm still hoping and rooting that the Jets can weasel out a win or two. My fingers are crossed and I've been rooting/watching them most every week.

Regardless of what type of traits you look for in a QB, Lawrence has them all.  What does he not have that you want from you QB?  He has lost 2 games since his freshman year.  80 something and 2.  Lost 1 game in High School and last year in the championship. Won a title as a freshman.  I think the only way he dont succeed is if the GM fails him like the Bengals did with Burrow.  They should of let Burrow sit until their oline was at least decent.  It also proven by many QBs that sitting a year or most of it can help the QB. I stilll think Burrow will come back and be one of the best QBs in the league if the Bengals front office can somewhat protect their future

Of course all situations is different when it comes to starting the rookie QB. it the team has the talent to help him succeed ala Big Ben, Lamar Jackson, etc with good olines and he showes it in practice put him in. But when you have one of the worst olines in the league or arguably the worst, i wouldnt risk my franchise

(This post was last modified: 11-28-2020, 11:47 AM by Bullseye.)

(11-28-2020, 03:35 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Of course all situations is different when it comes to starting the rookie QB.  it the team has the talent to help him succeed ala Big Ben, Lamar Jackson, etc with good olines and he showes it in practice put him in.  But when you have one of the worst olines in the league or arguably the worst, i wouldnt risk my franchise
(emphasis added)

I hear variations on this theme all the time (not singling you out flgatorsandjags, and people have expressed this in far more absolute terms), and I don't fully understand it.

Yes, I understand the need/desire to provide your new signal caller good protection.  But people act as if...

1.  You could not bolster the OL in free agency before (or after) the draft.  Free agency typically starts in mid March.  The draft is typically held in late April.  That is a month and a half to improve the OL with experienced help before a QB is drafted.  Post draft, teams often release serviceable veterans for whatever reason who can come in and provide some help in a given area, including OL.

2.  You could not bolster the OL in the same draft you address the QB position.  If you were to take a QB in the first round, even with trades, you still have the remainder of the draft to address the position, especially if you have an abundance of draft picks like the Jaguars have.  If the Jaguars remained at two and took a QB, by my count, we'd still have nine picks, including a first rounder and two second rounders to address offensive line.  Naturally, a trade changes the dynamic.  Depending upon how much the Jaguars were to give up, the ability to address the OL in this draft would be limited.  But given our draft position relative to the Jets and the abundance of draft capital we have, a move up to 1 from two may not be cost prohibitive.  In fact, it may be possible the Jets would prefer to have a first next year (thinking the draft choice would be higher next year) than our 2nd first rounder this year. 

3.  That all OL improvements will have to be made the QBs first year or not at all.  Hopefully you don't draft a QB at #1 or 2 overall with the idea of him having a one year career.  Assuming we take a QB in this upcoming draft, and football/society continues beyond this year, you could improve the offensive line over the course of your franchise signal caller's career.  Dallas' offensive line in front of Troy Aikman his first two years were horrible, and worse, they played in a division with three Super Bowl caliber defenses in the Parcells era Giants, the Gibbs era Skins, and the Buddy Ryan era Eagles.  In fact, even by his third year, though the line showed improvement enough to make the playoffs and have Emmitt Smith by one of the  league leaders in rushing, they gave up 11 sacks in a game to Philadelphia.  But by the next year, Aikman was winning the first of his three Super Bowls.  Hall of Fame OL Larry Allen didn't arrive until Dallas had already won their first Super bowl of the 1990s.  When the Packers traded for Brett Favre in 1992, their OL was far from a strength.  They were coming off the drafting of all time bust Tony Mandarich.  But they continued to build the team around him until the Packers were good enough to win it all in 1996.  Chances are, if you are picking in the top 5 and in position to draft a franchise QB, your offensive line isn't very good anyway.  If it were, chances are you wouldn't be in the top 5.  But you don't allow an offensive line deficiency stop you from taking what you fel is a franchise signal caller, because it's much easier to ger a good OL than it is to find a franchise QB.

4.  That you absolutely have to start your rookie QB immediately.  If you are rebuilding your OL, there's no rule that says you have to play the rookie behind a bad offensive line.  You could sit him until the OL starts to gel or you put more talent in it.  This year's Dolphins team is a good example of that, to say nothing of myriad examples of great QBs sitting all of not most of their rookie years, including Mahomes and Aaron Rodgers (though their OLs were not horrible) .  If you draft a rookie QB. there are other ways to protect him. including sitting him.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

it won't matter if jags draft a qb if marone is still HC. just another qb with high potiontial for khan ,and jags to ruin. Khan needs to go as well as all the other coaches. if the owner doesn't want to win,it passes to the coaches,and then it passes to the players and they don't want to win. Get a ownr in jacksonville that wants to win,and see how fast thngs change.

snowwolf titans owner in madden.

note titans owner means im undeafted againest them. 

(11-28-2020, 03:12 PM)snowwolf776 Wrote: it won't matter if jags draft a qb if marone is still HC. just another qb with high potiontial for khan ,and jags to ruin. Khan needs to go as well as all the other coaches.  if the owner doesn't want to win,it passes to the coaches,and then it passes to the players and they don't want to win.  Get a ownr in jacksonville that wants to win,and see how fast thngs change.

Wolfie, two things here.

1) Marrone will 100% not be here at the end of the year.

2) You really believe that Khan does not want his team to win? A winning team means he gets to make MORE money, if that is the metric you judge him by.

There is no way they are drafting a tackle when Fields is there at 2

(11-28-2020, 06:39 PM)Ordar Wrote: There is no way they are drafting a tackle when Fields is there at 2

I like Wilson more than Fields.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(11-28-2020, 04:13 PM)enigma Wrote:
(11-28-2020, 03:12 PM)snowwolf776 Wrote: it won't matter if jags draft a qb if marone is still HC. just another qb with high potiontial for khan ,and jags to ruin. Khan needs to go as well as all the other coaches.  if the owner doesn't want to win,it passes to the coaches,and then it passes to the players and they don't want to win.  Get a ownr in jacksonville that wants to win,and see how fast thngs change.

Wolfie, two things here.

2) You really believe that Khan does not want his team to win? A winning team means he gets to make MORE money, if that is the metric you judge him by.

1. unforttanttly all the losers will still be here at end of season. Khan refuses to fire people

2. 2coned fastest owner to 100 loses,and refuses to fire loseing coaches shows me a owner who wants to lose.

snowwolf titans owner in madden.

note titans owner means im undeafted againest them. 

(11-28-2020, 07:26 PM)snowwolf776 Wrote:
(11-28-2020, 04:13 PM)enigma Wrote: Wolfie, two things here.

1. unforttanttly all the losers will still be here at end of season. Khan refuses to fire people

2. 2coned fastest owner to 100 loses,and refuses to fire loseing coaches shows me a owner who wants to lose.

Unfortunately bud you just cant replace the owner.  I am pretty sure khan wants to win he just doesnt know how yet.  Lets not focus on the owner so much until he proves to not fix the gm or coaches spots this offseason.