Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jaguars New GM Candidates?

(11-24-2020, 10:28 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(11-24-2020, 09:42 PM)enigma Wrote: I like Rick Smith as well, but I'm hoping we don't set our expectations at "can't be any worse" for the next GM/HC.

I'd personally like to poach one of the FO heads in the Chiefs organization.

Ehh, anyone from the Chiefs is fools gold IMO.

(11-24-2020, 10:59 PM)NeptuneBeachBum Wrote:
(11-24-2020, 10:28 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Ehh, anyone from the Chiefs is fools gold IMO.

Yah... I'm not a fan of "just get anyone from that team because they win".  Evaluate who was responsible for that success, how much different experience have they had, evaluate their leadership abilities... and go get THAT guy.

Well clearly they are doing something well with player evaluation, development and maximizing talent to production on the field.

Sometimes it's better to just type out simple answer rather than a full blown dissertation. But if you want, then yes... We should evaluate who was responsible for that success, how much different experience they have had, evaluate their leadership abilities so we can get that guy from their organization.

I mean, I hope we're not looking into hiring guys from failing franchises due to FO mishaps - unless certain fans are happy that a GM candidate "can't be worse" than what we have right now.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(11-24-2020, 10:25 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: How would yall feel about Daniel Jeremiah?

Would rather Louis Riddick if we go that "new blood" route.

I have no interest in doing this horse and pony show of changing the GM and coach again. We have done that so many times. We just need a QB every year till we have one.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

(11-25-2020, 10:37 AM)HandsomeRob86 Wrote: I have no interest in doing this horse and pony show of changing the GM and coach again. We have done that so many times. We just need a QB every year till we have one.

So keep Caldwell to pick the right QB and Marrone to put the right guy out there (Glennon is starting instead of a healthy Minshew)

(This post was last modified: 11-25-2020, 11:10 AM by NeptuneBeachBum.)

(11-25-2020, 01:59 AM)enigma Wrote:
(11-24-2020, 10:28 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Ehh, anyone from the Chiefs is fools gold IMO.

(11-24-2020, 10:59 PM)NeptuneBeachBum Wrote: Yah... I'm not a fan of "just get anyone from that team because they win".  Evaluate who was responsible for that success, how much different experience have they had, evaluate their leadership abilities... and go get THAT guy.

Well clearly they are doing something well with player evaluation, development and maximizing talent to production on the field.

Sometimes it's better to just type out simple answer rather than a full blown dissertation. But if you want, then yes... We should evaluate who was responsible for that success, how much different experience they have had, evaluate their leadership abilities so we can get that guy from their organization.

I mean, I hope we're not looking into hiring guys from failing franchises due to FO mishaps - unless certain fans are happy that a GM candidate "can't be worse" than what we have right now.

No... I totally get what you're saying.  Nobody is hiring the personnel director from the Jets or Jaguars right now... that would be insanity.   But the individual person you hire matters more than just the organization they are coming from.  We've seen teams try to pluck personnel guys and coaches from the Patriots, and it NEVER works out.  Heck, the Texans currently have the former Patriots CHAPLAIN as their interim GM, thinking he somehow has the "secret sauce" from Belichick.  I'd be fine getting a Chiefs guys, if he is deemed to have played a significant role in their decision-making process.  I would also like a guy who has been with more than one team and seen it done a few different ways.   That's why I like Champ Kelly from the Bears.  Chicago has a pretty good roster (other than QB) and he was also a personnel guy that helped the Broncos win their last Super Bowl.
This is a results-oriented business.  There are no trophies or titles given for "moral victories" or for "winning the draft".  Our record with DC is 37-86.  6-10 is our 2nd best season in 8 years of Caldwell leadership.  These are the FACTS.

Chiefs or Ravens guy please
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

(This post was last modified: 11-25-2020, 11:12 AM by NeptuneBeachBum.)

(11-25-2020, 10:37 AM)HandsomeRob86 Wrote: I have no interest in doing this horse and pony show of changing the GM and coach again. We have done that so many times. We just need a QB every year till we have one.

Uhm... no. Caldwell needs to go. See my signature for why.
This is a results-oriented business.  There are no trophies or titles given for "moral victories" or for "winning the draft".  Our record with DC is 37-86.  6-10 is our 2nd best season in 8 years of Caldwell leadership.  These are the FACTS.

So you are satisfied with this roster after 7 years of Caldwell at the helm?

(11-25-2020, 11:07 AM)NeptuneBeachBum Wrote:
(11-25-2020, 01:59 AM)enigma Wrote: Well clearly they are doing something well with player evaluation, development and maximizing talent to production on the field.

No... I totally get what you're saying.  Nobody is hiring the personnel director from the Jets or Jaguars right now... that would be insanity.   But the individual person you hire matters more than just the organization they are coming from.  We've seen teams try to pluck personnel guys and coaches from the Patriots, and it NEVER works out.  Heck, the Texans currently have the former Patriots CHAPLAIN as their interim GM, thinking he somehow has the "secret sauce" from Belichick.  I'd be fine getting a Chiefs guys, if he is deemed to have played a significant role in their decision-making process.  I would also like a guy who has been with more than one team and seen it done a few different ways.   That's why I like Champ Kelly from the Bears.  Chicago has a pretty good roster (other than QB) and he was also a personnel guy that helped the Broncos win their last Super Bowl.

I wouldn't just "hire a guy."  I would want the candidates to give me a solid plan for building a sustainable roster.  Just saying "this guy has a good eye for talent" is not enough.   One of our biggest problems is keeping our talent.  Why are Ramsey and Ngakoue no longer here?  What did we do wrong?  How would the new guy fix it?  

I wouldn't just hire the superest superscout I could find.  I would want a detailed presentation, a solid plan, a guy who can lead, a guy with good people skills, a guy with good judgment, who knows the salary cap, etc etc etc etc etc.  

And while we're on that subject, why is Tyson Alualu, who apparently wasn't good enough for the Jaguars, starting for the 10-0 Steelers?

(11-25-2020, 11:31 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(11-25-2020, 11:07 AM)NeptuneBeachBum Wrote: No... I totally get what you're saying.  Nobody is hiring the personnel director from the Jets or Jaguars right now... that would be insanity.   But the individual person you hire matters more than just the organization they are coming from.  We've seen teams try to pluck personnel guys and coaches from the Patriots, and it NEVER works out.  Heck, the Texans currently have the former Patriots CHAPLAIN as their interim GM, thinking he somehow has the "secret sauce" from Belichick.  I'd be fine getting a Chiefs guys, if he is deemed to have played a significant role in their decision-making process.  I would also like a guy who has been with more than one team and seen it done a few different ways.   That's why I like Champ Kelly from the Bears.  Chicago has a pretty good roster (other than QB) and he was also a personnel guy that helped the Broncos win their last Super Bowl.

And while we're on that subject, why is Tyson Alualu, who apparently wasn't good enough for the Jaguars, starting for the 10-0 Steelers?

Alualu wasn't as bad as a lot of fans made it out to be. Although I do believe he was overdrafted and miscast, which seems to be a typical Jaguars draft philosophy with Dlinemen lol

I’m still not convinced that Khan is going to fire Dave.

(This post was last modified: 11-25-2020, 02:56 PM by NeptuneBeachBum.)

(11-25-2020, 11:07 AM)NeptuneBeachBum Wrote: No... I totally get what you're saying.  Nobody is hiring the personnel director from the Jets or Jaguars right now... that would be insanity.   But the individual person you hire matters more than just the organization they are coming from.  We've seen teams try to pluck personnel guys and coaches from the Patriots, and it NEVER works out.  Heck, the Texans currently have the former Patriots CHAPLAIN as their interim GM, thinking he somehow has the "secret sauce" from Belichick.  I'd be fine getting a Chiefs guys, if he is deemed to have played a significant role in their decision-making process.  I would also like a guy who has been with more than one team and seen it done a few different ways.   That's why I like Champ Kelly from the Bears.  Chicago has a pretty good roster (other than QB) and he was also a personnel guy that helped the Broncos win their last Super Bowl.

I wouldn't just "hire a guy."  I would want the candidates to give me a solid plan for building a sustainable roster.  Just saying "this guy has a good eye for talent" is not enough.   One of our biggest problems is keeping our talent.  Why are Ramsey and Ngakoue no longer here?  What did we do wrong?  How would the new guy fix it?  

I wouldn't just hire the superest superscout I could find.  I would want a detailed presentation, a solid plan, a guy who can lead, a guy with good people skills, a guy with good judgment, who knows the salary cap, etc etc etc etc etc.  

100% agree.  A GM  plays a large role in leadership and establishing the culture in an organization.  Caldwell seems even worse at doing this than he is at scouting.  Some might say "well that was Coughlin".  I disagree with that perspective... it was happening before TC came back.  But even if it was true, Caldwell was not strong enough of a leader to overcome any negativity and make this a place players wanted to come to and stay.  That is also why I want a guy that has been with more than one team; so they have multiple perspectives of how things can and should be done.

(11-25-2020, 12:17 PM)Kane Wrote:
(11-25-2020, 11:31 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: And while we're on that subject, why is Tyson Alualu, who apparently wasn't good enough for the Jaguars, starting for the 10-0 Steelers?

Alualu wasn't as bad as a lot of fans made it out to be. Although I do believe he was overdrafted and miscast, which seems to be a typical Jaguars draft philosophy with Dlinemen lol

Agreed... he was definitely over-drafted.  But if he was a third-rounder, people would have said "good pick".  However, as a first-rounder of a disastrous GM, Alualu took a lot of collateral criticism that should have been pointed directly at Gene Smith instead of Tyson.

I'd say one of the reasons is probably due to a scheme mismatch with his talent. Our coaches and GM have to be in sync which is why this whole wishy-Washy transition of scheme on defense needs to solidify itself one way or another.

Either commit to a 3-4 or remain with a 4-3/4-2-5 - and draft the guys who fit the scheme properly. Chaisson is a decent example of this non-synchronous process.

Dan Morgan is someone I'd take a look at.

(This post was last modified: 11-25-2020, 03:25 PM by NeptuneBeachBum.)

(11-25-2020, 03:17 PM)The Eleventh Doctor Wrote: Dan Morgan is someone I'd take a look at.

I like that one too.  Former player who has seen it done with several teams from different perspectives.

(11-25-2020, 03:03 PM)enigma Wrote:
(11-25-2020, 11:31 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: I wouldn't just "hire a guy."  I would want the candidates to give me a solid plan for building a sustainable roster.  Just saying "this guy has a good eye for talent" is not enough.   One of our biggest problems is keeping our talent.  Why are Ramsey and Ngakoue no longer here?  What did we do wrong?  How would the new guy fix it?  

I'd say one of the reasons is probably due to a scheme mismatch with his talent. Our coaches and GM have to be in sync which is why this whole wishy-Washy transition of scheme on defense needs to solidify itself one way or another.

Either commit to a 3-4 or remain with a 4-3/4-2-5 - and draft the guys who fit the scheme properly. Chaisson is a decent example of this non-synchronous process.

That is a great example of the disconnect Caldwell has had with his coaches ever since he's gotten here. It's almost like he's picking guys off of Mel Kiper's Draft Board with a complete disregard for how they would fit on our team.

(This post was last modified: 11-26-2020, 02:34 PM by rpr52121.)

Other names in no particular order:

Ed Dodds, Indianapolis Colts. Known as a scout before. Now AGM.

Mike Borgonzi, Kansas City Chiefs. Director of football operations.

Eliot Wolf, New England Patriots Front Office Consultant/Scout.

Martin Mayhew: San Francisco 49ers Vice President of Player Personnel.

Joe Hortiz: Baltimore Ravens Director of College Scouting

Scott Fitterer: Seattle Seahawks Co-Director of Player Personnel

Trent Kirchner, Seattle Seahawks Co-Director of Player Personnel

Dan Morgan: Buffalo Bills Director of Player Personnel

George Paton - The Vikings assistant general manager

Last year Carolina defense was horrible. Panthers went defense with everyone of their picks and they got a shut out last week while Dave is still looking like he doesn't know what he's doing. Burns is looking better than Allen

A magic 8 ball would do a better job than Dave Caldwell.

(This post was last modified: 11-26-2020, 10:40 AM by NeptuneBeachBum.)

(11-26-2020, 02:55 AM)rpr52121 Wrote: Other names in no particular order:

Joe Douglas, Philadelphia Eagles. Mainly known for work as scout.

Ed Dodds, Indianapolis Colts. Known as a scout before. Now AGM.

Mike Borgonzi, Kansas City Chiefs. Director of football operations.

Eliot Wolf, New England Patriots Front Office Consultant/Scout.

Martin Mayhew: San Francisco 49ers Vice President of Player Personnel.

Joe Hortiz: Baltimore Ravens Director of College Scouting

Scott Fitterer: Seattle Seahawks Co-Director of Player Personnel

Trent Kirchner, Seattle Seahawks Co-Director of Player Personnel

Dan Morgan: Buffalo Bills Director of Player Personnel

George Paton - The Vikings assistant general manager

Joe Douglas is the GM with the NY Jets now.  That looks like a copy and paste from an old article.

(11-26-2020, 09:17 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Last year Carolina defense was horrible.  Panthers went defense with everyone of their picks and they got a shut out last week while Dave is still looking like he doesn't know what he's doing.  Burns is looking better than Allen

He doesn't.