Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Zach Wilson

(12-16-2020, 12:14 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(12-16-2020, 12:11 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: You also have no clue (and neither do I) when it comes to what the OSU coaching staff is asking of Fields. 

Maybe he’s doing exactly what the coaching staff is asking.

I have never ever, ever heard of a coaching staff that tells a QB to only look to one option and if they aren't open, take off running. If they are doing that, they are doing a terrible dis-service to their QB's when it comes to NFL development. I can't imagine that happening at all.
I mean..... it’s working isn’t it?

And you really think these college coaches care about their players NFL development? I’ve seen coaches play players completely out of position.... not because it helps their NFL development but because it helps them win.

I understand you are very adamant with your dislike in Fields. However, when myself and many others watch him play, we see a playmaker. He looks like Watson out there to me. Just continually making plays with his arm and legs. I also think he has the 2nd highest upside of a QB in this class behind Lawerence.

Now I do really like Wilson but I think there are many more questions about him than there are Fields.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(12-16-2020, 12:19 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(12-16-2020, 12:14 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I have never ever, ever heard of a coaching staff that tells a QB to only look to one option and if they aren't open, take off running. If they are doing that, they are doing a terrible dis-service to their QB's when it comes to NFL development. I can't imagine that happening at all.

And you really think these college coaches care about their players NFL development? I’ve seen coaches play players completely out of position.... not because it helps their NFL development but because it helps them win.

I understand you are very adamant with your dislike in Fields. However, when myself and many others watch him play, we see a playmaker. He looks like Watson out there to me. Just continually making plays with his arm and legs. I also think he has the 2nd highest upside of a QB in this class behind Lawerence.

Now I do really like Wilson but I think there are many more questions about him than there are Fields.

Thank you.  This exactly.  Fields is a #1 pick in most drafts.  We have 3 solid QB options at the top of the draft, and there remains a possibility we could snag Lawrence.  Good year to suck I guess.

(This post was last modified: 12-16-2020, 03:19 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(12-16-2020, 12:19 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(12-16-2020, 12:14 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I have never ever, ever heard of a coaching staff that tells a QB to only look to one option and if they aren't open, take off running. If they are doing that, they are doing a terrible dis-service to their QB's when it comes to NFL development. I can't imagine that happening at all.

It's working because he has elite talent around him and you and I both know college is much different from the NFL. Gimmicky systems where the QB runs 10-15 times a game rarely work in the NFL and eventually it will get your QB seriously hurt. 

As far as my opinion of Fields, I don't dislike the man as a person. I don't even know him. He might be a great guy. I just base my opinion off his play and how I see it translating or in this case, not translating to the NFL. you say he looks like DeShaun Watson, but I don't see that at all. I see RG3, almost a mirror image in their playing style. I truly believe Wilson has the highest upside of any QB in this potential draft class followed by Lawrence and then I see a significant dropoff. Like I said, Trey Lance has a very high ceiling, but his "bust" potential is higher than anyone else in the class as well. 

I personally don't understand how anyone can say that there are more questions about Wilson than Fields. To me, that's like saying the sky is green. Wilson has every single trait I look for in a franchise QB. I just wanna see him add weight to his frame. I have huge questions regarding Fields whether or not he can sit in the pocket and go through his entire progressions. I constantly see him making one read and running. That is something that isn't easily picked up. It's instinctive. Some guys just aren't able to do it, but to be an NFL franchise QB, you have to be able to do it. If you run all the time, you're gonna eventually get injured. I'm just not seeing Fields make those 2nd, 3rd and 4th reads. Usually he just looks to Olave, who seems to always be wide open. 

I can see by some of your posts that you apparently value athleticism over the mental aspects of being a QB. I'm just the opposite. I value instincts, being able to make correct reads and accuracy about anything else. Maybe we just look for different things in QB's. You probably lean more toward prospects like Lamar Jackson and Kyler Murray where I prefer guys like Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers. There's nothing wrong with that, it's just very different philosophies.

(12-16-2020, 12:28 PM)JaguarKick Wrote:
(12-16-2020, 12:19 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: I mean..... it’s working isn’t it?

Thank you.  This exactly.  Fields is a #1 pick in most drafts.  We have 3 solid QB options at the top of the draft, and there remains a possibility we could snag Lawrence.  Good year to suck I guess.

The only way I see this happening is if Lawrence absolutely refuses to go to the Jets. It's a long shot, but not completely out of the realm of possibility. The Jets maybe less talented than the 1976 Tampa Bay Bucs.

(12-16-2020, 03:15 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:

It's working because he has elite talent around him and you and I both know college is much different from the NFL. Gimmicky systems where the QB runs 10-15 times a game rarely work in the NFL and eventually it will get your QB seriously hurt. 

As far as my opinion of Fields, I don't dislike the man as a person. I don't even know him. He might be a great guy. I just base my opinion off his play and how I see it translating or in this case, not translating to the NFL. you say he looks like DeShaun Watson, but I don't see that at all. I see RG3, almost a mirror image in their playing style. I truly believe Wilson has the highest upside of any QB in this potential draft class followed by Lawrence and then I see a significant dropoff. Like I said, Trey Lance has a very high ceiling, but his "bust" potential is higher than anyone else in the class as well. 

I personally don't understand how anyone can say that there are more questions about Wilson than Fields. To me, that's like saying the sky is green. Wilson has every single trait I look for in a franchise QB. I just wanna see him add weight to his frame. I have huge questions regarding Fields whether or not he can sit in the pocket and go through his entire progressions. I constantly see him making one read and running. That is something that isn't easily picked up. It's instinctive. Some guys just aren't able to do it, but to be an NFL franchise QB, you have to be able to do it. If you run all the time, you're gonna eventually get injured. I'm just not seeing Fields make those 2nd, 3rd and 4th reads. Usually he just looks to Olave, who seems to always be wide open. 

I can see by some of your posts that you apparently value athleticism over the mental aspects of being a QB. I'm just the opposite. I value instincts, being able to make correct reads and accuracy about anything else. Maybe we just look for different things in QB's. You probably lean more toward prospects like Lamar Jackson and Kyler Murray where I prefer guys like Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers. There's nothing wrong with that, it's just very different philosophies.

(12-16-2020, 12:28 PM)JaguarKick Wrote: Thank you.  This exactly.  Fields is a #1 pick in most drafts.  We have 3 solid QB options at the top of the draft, and there remains a possibility we could snag Lawrence.  Good year to suck I guess.

The only way I see this happening is if Lawrence absolutely refuses to go to the Jets. It's a long shot, but not completely out of the realm of possibility. The Jets maybe less talented than the 1976 Tampa Bay Bucs.

I may have an unpopular opinion when it comes to "Player x refuses to go to franchise x": I don't want that guy.

Like really... nobody is "too good" to go to a bad franchise and do their part to get it turned around. I wouldn't want to land Lawrence via him Manning/Elway'ing his way out of Jersey. Any 20 something year old kid who does that is a punk to me. He obviously puts himself before team and don't want that sort of diva mentality from my QB.

That being said, I really don't think Lawrence is that guy.

(This post was last modified: 12-16-2020, 03:37 PM by Cleatwood.)

(12-16-2020, 03:15 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:

(12-16-2020, 12:28 PM)JaguarKick Wrote: Thank you.  This exactly.  Fields is a #1 pick in most drafts.  We have 3 solid QB options at the top of the draft, and there remains a possibility we could snag Lawrence.  Good year to suck I guess.

Hahahah we all prefer Rodgers and you must not be paying attention to my posts.

Everyone wants a QB with a high IQ and you’re insinuating that Fields has a low IQ. I don’t lean Lamar at all. Mahomes is the greatest QB I’ve ever watched play. He’s on another tier.

I value ceiling when it comes to drafting my QB. I think Fields has the highest ceiling outside of Lawerence. 

I’m also curious how you know Wilson has a higher football IQ than Fields.

(12-16-2020, 03:32 PM)Kane Wrote:
(12-16-2020, 03:15 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: It's working because he has elite talent around him and you and I both know college is much different from the NFL. Gimmicky systems where the QB runs 10-15 times a game rarely work in the NFL and eventually it will get your QB seriously hurt. 

I may have an unpopular opinion when it comes to "Player x refuses to go to franchise x": I don't want that guy.

Like really... nobody is "too good" to go to a bad franchise and do their part to get it turned around. I wouldn't want to land Lawrence via him Manning/Elway'ing his way out of Jersey. Any 20 something year old kid who does that is a punk to me. He obviously puts himself before team and don't want that sort of diva mentality from my QB.

That being said, I really don't think Lawrence is that guy.

If that happened and it keeps us from getting Fields, I'd take Lawrence in with open arms. I'd be ecstatic.

(12-16-2020, 03:32 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(12-16-2020, 03:15 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: It's working because he has elite talent around him and you and I both know college is much different from the NFL. Gimmicky systems where the QB runs 10-15 times a game rarely work in the NFL and eventually it will get your QB seriously hurt. 

Hahahah we all prefer Rodgers and you must not be paying attention to my posts.

Everyone wants a QB with a high IQ and you’re insinuating that Fields has a low IQ. I don’t lean Lamar at all. Mahomes is the greatest QB I’ve ever watched play. He’s on another tier.

I'm not saying he's dumb. For all I know, Fields could be a MENSA member. I'm saying he lacks instincts that franchise QB's need. 

I totally agree about Mahomes. That's why I'm so high on Zach Wilson. At least once a game, I see him do something that reminds me of Patrick Mahomes, like a no-look shovel pass or throwing across his body for a perfect strike. I see things like this and imagine how good he could be with solid NFL coaching.

I can't wait until this weekend. Hopefully we will get to see what Fields can do against a pretty good defense.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(12-16-2020, 12:02 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(12-16-2020, 09:22 AM)Dimson Wrote: I would be giddy if that happened. He has everything you look for, even if he is currently a bit light.

I'd be so happy, I might pass out.

(12-16-2020, 10:30 AM)JaguarKick Wrote: He looked bad against Coastal Carolina, but he did have some drops.

This place is pretty much the only place where there's a ton of Fields hate.  Fields has consistently improved over the course of his college career.  I think if we hit on coaching staff, Fields has a chance to be better than Lawrence, who appears to be pretty much the same player he was as a freshman.

Stat wise, but he's still making the same one read and run decisions he has made from day 1. He has never changed. He gets away with it, because he's on an elite team where he only throws to wide open receivers. He'll get exposed in the NFL doing that and he could be out of the league in 5-6 years. 

You're insane saying Lawrence looks the same.

This is damn near word for word, what the worries about Deshaun Watson were coming out of Clemson and we've seen how that has turned out.

(12-16-2020, 07:27 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(12-16-2020, 12:02 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I'd be so happy, I might pass out.

Stat wise, but he's still making the same one read and run decisions he has made from day 1. He has never changed. He gets away with it, because he's on an elite team where he only throws to wide open receivers. He'll get exposed in the NFL doing that and he could be out of the league in 5-6 years. 

You're insane saying Lawrence looks the same.

This is damn near word for word, what the worries about Deshaun Watson were coming out of Clemson and we've seen how that has turned out.

Watson did throw into tight coverage in college. He threw the ball a lot more than Fields does. Fields has a high of 354 attempts in a season. Watson threw the ball 579 times in his final year at Clemson. Watson was a much more polished passer.

(12-16-2020, 07:35 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(12-16-2020, 07:27 PM)Eric1 Wrote: This is damn near word for word, what the worries about Deshaun Watson were coming out of Clemson and we've seen how that has turned out.

Watson did throw into tight coverage in college. He threw the ball a lot more than Fields does. Fields has a high of 354 attempts in a season. Watson threw the ball 579 times in his final year at Clemson. Watson was a much more polished passer.

Watson ran it 207 times in 2015 and 165 times in 2016. Compared to Fields' 137 times in 2019 and 55 times so far this season.

It was still the exact same worries though... One read offense, runs too much, body wont hold up, great talent around him, receivers running wide open etc etc.

(12-16-2020, 08:01 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(12-16-2020, 07:35 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Watson did throw into tight coverage in college. He threw the ball a lot more than Fields does. Fields has a high of 354 attempts in a season. Watson threw the ball 579 times in his final year at Clemson. Watson was a much more polished passer.

Watson ran it 207 times in 2015 and 165 times in 2016. Compared to Fields' 137 times in 2019 and 55 times so far this season.

It was still the exact same worries though... One read offense, runs too much, body wont hold up, great talent around him, receivers running wide open etc etc.
Fields can’t win on this board lol it’s kinda funny.

Even if Fields lights up Bama, there will be an excuse.

(12-16-2020, 08:11 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(12-16-2020, 08:01 PM)Eric1 Wrote: Watson ran it 207 times in 2015 and 165 times in 2016. Compared to Fields' 137 times in 2019 and 55 times so far this season.

Yea just about everywhere outside of this board has Fields as the consensus #2 QB/pick.

If Fields is the pick, great. If it's Wilson, great. If it's one of the other QBs, so be it.

(12-16-2020, 08:01 PM)Eric1 Wrote: Watson ran it 207 times in 2015 and 165 times in 2016. Compared to Fields' 137 times in 2019 and 55 times so far this season.

I am still keeping an open mind with Fields. If he lights up Northwestern and then plays well in the National play offs, I will be on the Fields train. But right now, I still have Wilson ahead of him.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(12-16-2020, 09:52 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(12-16-2020, 08:11 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Fields can’t win on this board lol it’s kinda funny.

Yea just about everywhere outside of this board has Fields as the consensus #2 QB/pick.

If Fields is the pick, great. If it's Wilson, great. If it's one of the other QBs, so be it.

Fields going to change some minds around here when he gets clocked in the high 4.3s at the combine. Elite talent, I don’t see RG3 at all. The popular comparison is Dak, but he’s much faster and more athletic. I don’t care about the simplistic offense at all either, that’s just a cop out and Ohio State been running this for decades. Pryor, Troy Smith, Haskins, Miller, Cardale, etc all had the same one read issues... what they didn’t have is the talent Fields has. Pair him up with a bright offensive minded coach, I’d love it. 

I’m also not opposed to Wilson either, his frame just scares the [BLEEP] out of me. He’ll be broken in half if he doesn’t gain atleast 30 pounds. He also is not 6’3, the combine will tell us what he really is.

(12-17-2020, 04:33 AM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote:
(12-16-2020, 09:52 PM)Eric1 Wrote: Yea just about everywhere outside of this board has Fields as the consensus #2 QB/pick.

Fields going to change some minds around here when he gets clocked in the high 4.3s at the combine. Elite talent, I don’t see RG3 at all. The popular comparison is Dak, but he’s much faster and more athletic. I don’t care about the simplistic offense at all either, that’s just a cop out and Ohio State been running this for decades. Pryor, Troy Smith, Haskins, Miller, Cardale, etc all had the same one read issues... what they didn’t have is the talent Fields has. Pair him up with a bright offensive minded coach, I’d love it. 

I’m also not opposed to Wilson either, his frame just scares the [BLEEP] out of me. He’ll be broken in half if he doesn’t gain atleast 30 pounds. He also is not 6’3, the combine will tell us what he really is.

Unless he switches positions to WR or RB it won't matter. I could care less how fast a QB runs. QB's don't need to be running unless they are flushed out of the pocket. I only care about how they throw. 

And how have all those other OSU QB's fared in the NFL?

(12-17-2020, 04:52 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(12-17-2020, 04:33 AM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: Fields going to change some minds around here when he gets clocked in the high 4.3s at the combine. Elite talent, I don’t see RG3 at all. The popular comparison is Dak, but he’s much faster and more athletic. I don’t care about the simplistic offense at all either, that’s just a cop out and Ohio State been running this for decades. Pryor, Troy Smith, Haskins, Miller, Cardale, etc all had the same one read issues... what they didn’t have is the talent Fields has. Pair him up with a bright offensive minded coach, I’d love it. 

Unless he switches positions to WR or RB it won't matter. I could care less how fast a QB runs. QB's don't need to be running unless they are flushed out of the pocket. I only care about how they throw. 

All other OSU QBs don’t matter. Don’t you like Trask? How are all those other Florida QBs doing?

All those Texas Tech QBs were terrible in the NFL..... until Mahomes. Where a prospect played is irrelevant because there is no QB school. Maybe OU and Riley are the closest but as of now, go look at the NFL and where those dudes went to college. It’s from everywhere. Rodgers and the air raid (people used this against him like you are Fields) Brees and PURDUE.... Purdue! Wilson and Wisconsin, Brady and Michigan.... 

You can have you convictions about a player but using their school is an extremely flawed point. Be better.

(This post was last modified: 12-17-2020, 09:29 AM by flgatorsandjags.)

(12-17-2020, 04:33 AM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote:
(12-16-2020, 09:52 PM)Eric1 Wrote: Yea just about everywhere outside of this board has Fields as the consensus #2 QB/pick.

A QBs 40 time will be the last traight i look at when evaluating a QB.  A QBs 40 time shouldn't change anyone's mind if they like him or not lol.  I do like Fields much better than Haskins but taking him at 2 is just to high imo when Sewell is sitting there

Fields couldn't light up either of the last 2 decent defenses he lit up and he had 5 picks between the 2. So I highly doubt he would Alabama

Fields if we get the right coach to fit HIS SYSTEM

Bring on URB

(12-17-2020, 08:48 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(12-17-2020, 04:52 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Unless he switches positions to WR or RB it won't matter. I could care less how fast a QB runs. QB's don't need to be running unless they are flushed out of the pocket. I only care about how they throw. 

All other OSU QBs don’t matter. Don’t you like Trask? How are all those other Florida QBs doing?

All those Texas Tech QBs were terrible in the NFL..... until Mahomes. Where a prospect played is irrelevant because there is no QB school. Maybe OU and Riley are the closest but as of now, go look at the NFL and where those dudes went to college. It’s from everywhere. Rodgers and the air raid (people used this against him like you are Fields) Brees and PURDUE.... Purdue! Wilson and Wisconsin, Brady and Michigan.... 

You can have you convictions about a player but using their school is an extremely flawed point. Be better.

He was specifically pointing to OSU"s system. I was answering his comments about how OSU could be a one read and run scheme and how those past QB's have fared in the NFL. If indeed that is the type of system they employ, those quarterbacks coming from that school are not equipped to enter the NFL and be starters. With Florida, it's not the system. It was the actual players and their talent level.

As far as Texas Tech, they did used to run a gimmicky system, but when Mahomes went there it had turned into a more pro-style friendly offense. That made his adjustment to learning NFL football a lot quicker. I believe he would've had a much harder time adjusting in the NFL had they still used a system like Mike Leach employed. Kliff Kingsbury came to Texas Tech and used a different variation of the "air raid" offense that helped Mahomes become a better vertical passer. Leach used a lot of bubble screens and short passes where the WR's were expected to make a lot of yards after the catch. Kingsbury's system relied more on the QB to make plays with his arm. Leach used a lot of "noodle armed" QB's who could still run his scheme with ease, but in Kingsbury's variation, you needed a strong armed QB to be efficient. He found success with Mahomes and now with Murray. Both had baseball backgrounds and strong arms. 

As far as schools, I agree that they should have no bearing on how a player will project to the NFL, but even you have to admit that some college teams run such gimmicky offensive schemes that it makes it much harder for players to adjust to playing a more conventional system in the NFL. That was my point. It wasn't about the school, but about the schemes that they run. I assumed people would understand this concept, but I guess I had to spell it out.