Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Zach Wilson

(This post was last modified: 12-18-2020, 11:17 AM by Upper.)

(12-18-2020, 09:06 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(12-17-2020, 11:12 PM)Upper Wrote: Man, you need a delorean. This era of NFL just ain't for you.

Probably why it's not doing as well.

It's boring to watch. It's turning into arena football

Regardless of how you feel about it aesthetically, you can't ignore the fact that if your QB doesn't have strong out of structure/off platform skills they face a steep uphill battle to become a true franchise QB. That's all that matters.

(12-18-2020, 09:06 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(12-18-2020, 09:54 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: [quote='TrivialPursuit' pid='1345957' dateline='1608296798']

Probably why it's not doing as well.

It's boring to watch. It's turning into arena football
Hahahah

It’s doing just fine. What makes you think it’s not doing well? Or are you just grumpy that it looks different than it did 20 years ago?

I agree that the league is doing just fine, but I also get their point. It does get frustrating when you do everything right as a defense and the QB simply tucks and runs for an easy first down or hits an easy comeback in the scramble drill. It's undeniably a game breaking skill to have, but I get why it annoys people too.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(12-18-2020, 10:51 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(12-18-2020, 09:54 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: Hahahah

It’s doing just fine. What makes you think it’s not doing well? Or are you just grumpy that it looks different than it did 20 years ago?

The league was having unprecedented growth from 2000-2012, games in Mexico, talk about a European league... then that stuff started to stop. Quietly.

Sure it's still the biggest sport in the US - but it's never going to overtake soccer like the NFL honestly believed back then.

It doesn't just look different - it flat out sucks. I haven't watched a full game in years. If I want to see what happens I'll watch the 10 minute recap video (which shows pretty much every play since the actual action is maybe 15 minutes)
But you claimed it’s not doing well which isn’t true lol

It’s a league 100% geared towards the offense which definitely sucks if you love defense. However, not sure how you can watch Mahomes or Rodgers play and think it sucks. There is so much offensive talent in the league that it’s a little overwhelming. The league is set up great for future success with their stars. Mahomes, Burrow, Kyler, Herbert.... then in comes Lawerence Fields and Wilson. Throw in Russell Wilson too. Along with a plethora of skilled backs and WRs and you have yourself a winning product.

Again, it’s not for everyone but to say “it’s not doing well” is not true. You just don’t like the way the game is played today and that’s fine.

(This post was last modified: 12-19-2020, 09:49 AM by flgatorsandjags.)

There isn't any question the Goodell has hurt the league with so many rules turning it into flag football, some on here would probably be ok with 2 hand touch. There is a reason he gets booed every time he makes a pick on draft day.

(12-19-2020, 09:46 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: There isn't any question the Goodell has hurt the league with so many rules turning it into flag  football, some on here would probably be ok with 2 hand touch.  There is a reason he gets booed every time he makes a pick on draft day.

The game over all is going that way. Concussions are a serious threat to the game.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(This post was last modified: 12-19-2020, 04:13 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(12-19-2020, 12:07 PM)Dimson Wrote:
(12-19-2020, 09:46 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: There isn't any question the Goodell has hurt the league with so many rules turning it into flag  football, some on here would probably be ok with 2 hand touch.  There is a reason he gets booed every time he makes a pick on draft day.

The game over all is going that way. Concussions are a serious threat to the game.

Oh I agree, is football.  A contact sport, why not make it flag or 2 hand touch?  That will eliminate 90% of the injuries and pretty much all head injuries. Should boxing eliminate head shots? Thats dangerous right?

Lawrence is the clear-cut QB of the draft coming up and if we don't manage to get the first pick - we're gonna be in a tough position at #2.

Fields had another sub-par performance today and he's going to have to put up a phenomenal performance or two in the playoffs to overcome some of his deficits.

As for Wilson, I don't think he will translate well in the NFL either... I see him more of a Johnny Manziel type of player - and the same thing applies for Wilson as it does for Fields, playing inferior opposition. They can't do anything about that now, but it is what it is.

I really hope the Jets slip up and win one, while we lose out.

(12-19-2020, 05:57 PM)enigma Wrote: Lawrence is the clear-cut QB of the draft coming up and if we don't manage to get the first pick - we're gonna be in a tough position at #2.

Fields had another sub-par performance today and he's going to have to put up a phenomenal performance or two in the playoffs to overcome some of his deficits.

As for Wilson, I don't think he will translate well in the NFL either... I see him more of a Johnny Manziel type of player - and the same thing applies for Wilson as it does for Fields, playing inferior opposition. They can't do anything about that now, but it is what it is.

Johnny Manziel was 5'11 3/4" and had a big head on a stick body. Not to mention by all accounts that I have read, he never put in the work to succeed. He was always screwing around. Wilson is listed at 6'3" which means he's probably 6'2" and some change. Besides the obvious height difference, their skill levels couldn't be more different. I have read many articles that said Wilson eats, sleeps and breathes football and is constantly watching game film. As far as having a skinny frame, keep this in mind. Clemson lists Trevor Lawrence as 3 inches taller than Wilson, but only 10 lbs. heavier. He has just as thin of a frame as Wilson does. Both players will need to add weight in the NFL. That's a minor fix.

Yea Manziel admitted he didn’t really try very hard and it’s his biggest regret in life and he said he feels very sorry to the city of Cleveland for letting them down. I can find the link to the interview it was pretty recent I think

(12-19-2020, 06:34 PM)JNev Wrote: Yea Manziel admitted he didn’t really try very hard and it’s his biggest regret in life and he said he feels very sorry to the city of Cleveland for letting them down. I can find the link to the interview it was pretty recent I think

Yeah, Manziel could of been damn good.  He had the talent but it was his work ethic and drug problem that held him back.  He admitted he didn't even study football

(12-19-2020, 06:26 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(12-19-2020, 05:57 PM)enigma Wrote: Lawrence is the clear-cut QB of the draft coming up and if we don't manage to get the first pick - we're gonna be in a tough position at #2.

Johnny Manziel was 5'11 3/4" and had a big head on a stick body. Not to mention by all accounts that I have read, he never put in the work to succeed. He was always screwing around. Wilson is listed at 6'3" which means he's probably 6'2" and some change. Besides the obvious height difference, their skill levels couldn't be more different. I have read many articles that said Wilson eats, sleeps and breathes football and is constantly watching game film. As far as having a skinny frame, keep this in mind. Clemson lists Trevor Lawrence as 3 inches taller than Wilson, but only 10 lbs. heavier. He has just as thin of a frame as Wilson does. Both players will need to add weight in the NFL. That's a minor fix.

I'm not worried about Lawrence's frame, he wears his weight well and has taken/dished out many hits. Just look at him run over the ND linebacker earlier today in their game for example.

Hopefully the combine will still occur this year because I see Wilson measuring in more at 6'1.

I get the baggage associated with Manziel but I wasn't relating that aspect to Wilson - it was more so the stature and the on-field play style. I just don't see him translating into a longterm NFL QB.

(12-19-2020, 09:47 PM)enigma Wrote:
(12-19-2020, 06:26 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Johnny Manziel was 5'11 3/4" and had a big head on a stick body. Not to mention by all accounts that I have read, he never put in the work to succeed. He was always screwing around. Wilson is listed at 6'3" which means he's probably 6'2" and some change. Besides the obvious height difference, their skill levels couldn't be more different. I have read many articles that said Wilson eats, sleeps and breathes football and is constantly watching game film. As far as having a skinny frame, keep this in mind. Clemson lists Trevor Lawrence as 3 inches taller than Wilson, but only 10 lbs. heavier. He has just as thin of a frame as Wilson does. Both players will need to add weight in the NFL. That's a minor fix.

I'm not worried about Lawrence's frame, he wears his weight well and has taken/dished out many hits. Just look at him run over the ND linebacker earlier today in their game for example.

Hopefully the combine will still occur this year because I see Wilson measuring in more at 6'1.

I get the baggage associated with Manziel but I  wasn't relating that aspect to Wilson - it was more so the stature and the on-field play style. I just don't see him translating into a longterm NFL QB.

Why do you not see Wilson transferring well to the NFL? He has all the skills you look for.

(12-19-2020, 09:47 PM)enigma Wrote:
(12-19-2020, 06:26 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Johnny Manziel was 5'11 3/4" and had a big head on a stick body. Not to mention by all accounts that I have read, he never put in the work to succeed. He was always screwing around. Wilson is listed at 6'3" which means he's probably 6'2" and some change. Besides the obvious height difference, their skill levels couldn't be more different. I have read many articles that said Wilson eats, sleeps and breathes football and is constantly watching game film. As far as having a skinny frame, keep this in mind. Clemson lists Trevor Lawrence as 3 inches taller than Wilson, but only 10 lbs. heavier. He has just as thin of a frame as Wilson does. Both players will need to add weight in the NFL. That's a minor fix.

I get the baggage associated with Manziel but I  wasn't relating that aspect to Wilson - it was more so the stature and the on-field play style. I just don't see him translating into a longterm NFL QB.

Draft Peniel at #2 and Mac Jones with the Rams pick.
"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt

(12-19-2020, 06:26 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:

Whoa hold up. I thought you said you never take others at their word and you need to see everything you judge for yourself?

(12-20-2020, 01:35 AM)TheDogCatcher Wrote:
(12-19-2020, 09:47 PM)enigma Wrote: I'm not worried about Lawrence's frame, he wears his weight well and has taken/dished out many hits. Just look at him run over the ND linebacker earlier today in their game for example.

Draft Peniel at #2 and Mac Jones with the Rams pick.

I doubt Mac Jones last that long.

(12-20-2020, 02:33 AM)Senor Fantastico Wrote:

Whoa hold up. I thought you said you never take others at their word and you need to see everything you judge for yourself?

I do. I never take one person's word for it. I always have to judge it for myself, but when multiple trusted sources go on record saying the exact same thing, there least has to have some merit to what is being said. It's just not coming from one source, but multiple ones. 

It's like getting an opinion on Jay Cutler and Johnny Manziel. I heard Cutler was a jerk and Manziel was arrogant and lazy and didn't spend any time trying to be a better QB. I didn't really give it much credence until many different sources came out saying the exact same thing. Then I thought there had to be something to what was being said. If there is multiple, reliable sources saying the same thing, you have to take it at face value. Later, after their careers were over, everything that was said about both men was confirmed.

(12-20-2020, 01:30 AM)Dimson Wrote:
(12-19-2020, 09:47 PM)enigma Wrote: I'm not worried about Lawrence's frame, he wears his weight well and has taken/dished out many hits. Just look at him run over the ND linebacker earlier today in their game for example.

Why do you not see Wilson transferring well to the NFL? He has all the skills you look for.

His decision-making where he starts to play "hero" like Manziel instead of checking down when it's there, throws off balance frequently, want him to be more consistent especially when he played inferior competition for 3 years, plays in the up-tempo spread offense (like Fields, if that's a knock), and durability with injury issues with his hand and already undergone surgery on his shoulder more importantly.

(12-20-2020, 04:07 PM)enigma Wrote:
(12-20-2020, 01:30 AM)Dimson Wrote: Why do you not see Wilson transferring well to the NFL? He has all the skills you look for.

His decision-making where he starts to play "hero" like Manziel instead of checking down when it's there, throws off balance frequently, want him to be more consistent especially when he played inferior competition for 3 years, plays in the up-tempo spread offense (like Fields, if that's a knock), and durability with injury issues with his hand and already undergone surgery on his shoulder more importantly.

He can't help who he plays. He reminds me more of Mahomes than Manziel.

(12-20-2020, 04:29 PM)Dimson Wrote:
(12-20-2020, 04:07 PM)enigma Wrote: His decision-making where he starts to play "hero" like Manziel instead of checking down when it's there, throws off balance frequently, want him to be more consistent especially when he played inferior competition for 3 years, plays in the up-tempo spread offense (like Fields, if that's a knock), and durability with injury issues with his hand and already undergone surgery on his shoulder more importantly.

Agreed. I see no Manziel in him at all.

(12-20-2020, 04:29 PM)Dimson Wrote:
(12-20-2020, 04:07 PM)enigma Wrote: His decision-making where he starts to play "hero" like Manziel instead of checking down when it's there, throws off balance frequently, want him to be more consistent especially when he played inferior competition for 3 years, plays in the up-tempo spread offense (like Fields, if that's a knock), and durability with injury issues with his hand and already undergone surgery on his shoulder more importantly.

I know, I said that very same statement last night on this board.

But if we're placing the same criticism on one player - then it has to span for every player.

(12-20-2020, 04:33 PM)enigma Wrote:
(12-20-2020, 04:29 PM)Dimson Wrote: He can't help who he plays. He reminds me more of Mahomes than Manziel.

I know, I said that very same statement last night on this board.

But if we're placing the same criticism on one player - then it has to span for every player.

I go by how they look. Not who they play or if they even win. Just watch the last drive against Coastal Carolina. That last throw was money, it just came up 2 yards short due to a great tackle by the defender.