Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Potential 2021 Free Agents

(03-22-2021, 07:51 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(03-22-2021, 07:37 PM)D6 Wrote: My guess is that new Broncos GM George Paton is either going to trade up from pick # 9 for a QB or trade for a QB. Jets QB Sam Darnold comes to mind as a possibility. 

Being that Paton and OC Pat Shurmur weren't in the Broncos organization when John Elway drafted Drew Lock and the Broncos tried to trade with the Lions for Matthew Stafford,  I don't think there's enough of a comfort level with Lock to satisfy Paton.

Drew Lock realistically could have a breakout year, if given the opportunity.  Whether he will be given the opportunity remains to be seen.

That is true,, Mac Jones is a possibility there and I think would be a great fit.  If the don't take a QB I think they go Micha Parsons or Jalen Collins.  One of those MLBs could be the difference maker for that defense imo

Personally, I have a feeling Mac Jones is gonna be chosen before Trey Lance. I look at Carolina. Matt Rhule coached Jones in the Senior Bowl and from what I read, he couldn't say enough nice things about the kid. I think he's their target, if Wilson and Fields are gone. Lance is just too much of an unknown. I could see Lawrence, Wilson, Fields and Jones all gone by the Broncos selection. Would the Broncos take a flyer on Lance or would they wait until the 2nd or even 3rd round and try for someone like Kyle Trask? It'll be interesting to see how this QB thing shakes out.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(03-22-2021, 07:56 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(03-22-2021, 07:37 PM)D6 Wrote: My guess is that new Broncos GM George Paton is either going to trade up from pick # 9 for a QB or trade for a QB. Jets QB Sam Darnold comes to mind as a possibility. 

Being that Paton and OC Pat Shurmur weren't in the Broncos organization when John Elway drafted Drew Lock and the Broncos tried to trade with the Lions for Matthew Stafford,  I don't think there's enough of a comfort level with Lock to satisfy Paton.

Drew Lock realistically could have a breakout year, if given the opportunity.  Whether he will be given the opportunity remains to be seen.
I've been trying to figure out what Denver will do at 9 now that they have Fuller.  They have the makings of a good secondary.

Trying to move up for a QB makes some sense.  Darnold will feel like he's in heaven after leaving the talent depleted Jets to end up in Denver with those weapons.

Tackle would seem to be the only position that makes sense for them at that spot. 

Maybe Parsons, if they can deal with his off the field issues.

If the Broncos have their QB situation settled before the draft: 

My guess at this time is the Broncos would draft Micah Parsons over any Offensive Tackle other than Penei Sewell ( who probably be taken earlier ). Though the RT position with the Broncos is a question mark with Elijah Wilkerson being a UFA and a player the Broncos would likely want to upgrade from as a starter, I would be somewhat surprised if they used pick # 9 to draft a RT.

(03-22-2021, 08:22 PM)D6 Wrote:
(03-22-2021, 07:56 PM)Bullseye Wrote: I've been trying to figure out what Denver will do at 9 now that they have Fuller.  They have the makings of a good secondary.

Trying to move up for a QB makes some sense.  Darnold will feel like he's in heaven after leaving the talent depleted Jets to end up in Denver with those weapons.

Tackle would seem to be the only position that makes sense for them at that spot. 

Maybe Parsons, if they can deal with his off the field issues.

If the Broncos have their QB situation settled before the draft: 

My guess at this time is the Broncos would draft Micah Parsons over any Offensive Tackle other than Penei Sewell ( who probably be taken earlier ). Though the RT position with the Broncos is a question mark with Elijah Wilkerson being a UFA and a player the Broncos would likely want to upgrade from as a starter, I would be somewhat surprised if they used pick # 9 to draft a RT.

Could the Broncos go DE/OLB with their first round pick if no QB's are left? Von Miller is in the final year of his contract and his production dropped in 2019 and then he was put on I.R. in 2020. There was then an investigation into some illegal activity involving Miller which the case was later dropped. Add that to the fact that Bradley Chubb's 5th year option is approaching and they may want to think about a pass rusher, if someone like Gregory Rousseau is still available.

(03-22-2021, 08:51 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(03-22-2021, 08:22 PM)D6 Wrote: If the Broncos have their QB situation settled before the draft: 

Could the Broncos go DE/OLB with their first round pick if no QB's are left? Von Miller is in the final year of his contract and his production dropped in 2019 and then he was put on I.R. in 2020. There was then an investigation into some illegal activity involving Miller which the case was later dropped. Add that to the fact that Bradley Chubb's 5th year option is approaching and they may want to think about a pass rusher, if someone like Gregory Rousseau is still available.

The Broncos taking an edge Defensive Front 7 player in with pick # 9 ( or in a trade down ) definitely seems like a very realistic possibility.  A proactive approach as you suggested makes a great amount of sense. Not to mention, a deeper rotation on the edge this season would help the Broncos.

If George Paton uses similar type draft strategy as the Rick Spielman led Vikings Front Office often does and the Broncos QB situation is settled,  a trade down from pick # 9 probably will be Paton's preferred strategy.  

Though the selections were made much later than the 1st Round,  the Vikings ended up drafting two very high caliber DEs as a result of the trade downs:

In 2010, Everson Griffen in the upper part of Round 4. 

In 2015, Danielle Hunter in the lower part of Round 3.

flgatorsandjags, the Lions are signing former Florida Gators/ Saints UFA LB, Alex Anzalone to a 1 year contract. Ironically, several days after another former Gator LB, Lions UFA Jarrad Davis, signed a 1 year contract with the Jets.

https://lionswire.usatoday.com/2021/03/2...nt-saints/

Gio Bernard let go from the Bengals. Would be the perfect change of pace back for this team.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(03-24-2021, 02:35 PM)D6 Wrote: flgatorsandjags, the Lions are signing former Florida Gators/  Saints UFA LB, Alex Anzalone to a 1 year contract. Ironically, several days  after another former Gator LB, Lions UFA Jarrad Davis, signed a 1 year contract with the Jets.

What defensive scheme will Detroit run this year?

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(04-07-2021, 10:58 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(03-24-2021, 02:35 PM)D6 Wrote: flgatorsandjags, the Lions are signing former Florida Gators/  Saints UFA LB, Alex Anzalone to a 1 year contract. Ironically, several days  after another former Gator LB, Lions UFA Jarrad Davis, signed a 1 year contract with the Jets.

What defensive scheme will Detroit run this year?

Aaron Glenn is their new defensive coordinator who has been at the Saints the last 5 years and Anzalone just came from the Saints so I'm sure they will run a 4-3

(04-08-2021, 08:02 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(04-07-2021, 10:58 PM)Bullseye Wrote: What defensive scheme will Detroit run this year?

Aaron Glenn is their new defensive coordinator who has been at the Saints the last 5 years and Anzalone just came from the Saints so I'm sure they will run a 4-3

An interesting hire.

He was an outstanding CB in his playing days.

I wonder what his philosophies are, alignment aside.  Will he be a Tampa 2 type, or would he be more inclined to keep a safety in the box?  Will he be blitz heavy or emphasize coverage.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(04-08-2021, 08:02 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(04-07-2021, 10:58 PM)Bullseye Wrote: What defensive scheme will Detroit run this year?

Actually in a recent interview, Glenn was very non-committal in what the base defense would be. He did say that the defense would be a mix of 4-3 and 3-4 schemes. Maybe D6 knows a little more about the situation.

I thought Davis would be the next great LB..

The Browns just released DT Sheldon Richardson, in a move to save $11m in cap. The Browns figure to need about $9m to sign a draft class, want to start building cap reserves in order for future contracts (ie. Mayfield, Chubb, and Ward), and for general in-season flexibility. Richardson, 30 years of age and former 1st rounder, played well in 2 season for the Browns, but his large cap was no longer desirable. Could he be a decent veteran replacement for the loss of Alualu? Would he play for a reasonable figure?

(This post was last modified: 04-17-2021, 12:07 AM by Upper.)

I think Richardson would be a good get, but at this point in their careers I think Mo Hurst would be a better IDL pickup than Richardson. Hursts interior pressure rates were elite and we need more of that.

(This post was last modified: 04-17-2021, 11:13 AM by ATLjag.)

(04-17-2021, 12:06 AM)Upper Wrote: I think Richardson would be a good get, but at this point in their careers I think Mo Hurst would be a better IDL pickup than Richardson. Hursts interior pressure rates were elite and we need more of that.

Any team could have claimed Hurst on waivers, and picked up his 1 year minimal $2.1m salary remaining in his rookie contract.  At 25, with upside, I was surprised no team elected to pick him up off waivers. It makes me wonder what the GMs know about him that is concerning.

(04-17-2021, 10:16 AM)ATLjag Wrote:
(04-17-2021, 12:06 AM)Upper Wrote: I think Richardson would be a good get, but at this point in their careers I think Mo Hurst would be a better IDL pickup than Richardson. Hursts interior pressure rates were elite and we need more of that.

Any team could have claimed Hurst on waivers, and picked up his 1 year minimal $2.1m salary remaining in his rookie contract.  At 25, with upside, I was surprised no team elected to pick him up off waivers.  It makes me wonder what the GMs know about him that is concerning.

He had a heart condition that got him sent home from the combine, so there was risk in picking him up to begin with. Some team may take a flier, but likely they wait until May to give him a call.