Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Potential 2021 Free Agents

(02-23-2021, 06:54 PM)JagswinJagswin Wrote: Assuming that QB is the first pick of the draft, IMO the biggest needs for the Jags to fill in the off-season are 2 starters on the OL with 1 being a LT, DL, FS, CB, TE. How they come about, I don't care if it's draft, trade, or free agency. I don't think the Jags are going to be as fruitful as we hope in free agency with big named guys. While I would like to have players like Jonnu Smith, Marcus Maye, or Justin Simmons I don't feel any of those guys will hit free agency. Nor do I see a guy like Hunter Henry making it to be a FA.

I would love to have Trent Williams for a 3 year deal, it all depends on how high the bidding goes for his services. If they are addressing OL, like I pray they do, then they may have to look into other option like trading for one of the Saints OT. A post 6/1 trade of Armstead saves the Saints over 11.6m on the cap. Ramczyk only has 1 year left of his contract at 11m savings. Not sure how the Saints would be able to get enough off their cap to resign him next year. The Jags may be able to give up something like the 25, 65, and 154 to get one of them and resign if it's Ram. The Saints are going to have to work some magic to keep both of those guys. The Falcons are over the cap by like 12m, they may listen to an offer for LT Jake Matthews but I doubt it, he's been consistent and reliable. In the end my bet is the Jags tag or resign Cam, ugh, and hope he performs better with better coaching and I'd be ok with that i guess if he resigns for 10-12m a year, which isn't going to happen. My bet is they draft an OL or 2 during the draft and run with this average at best OL. If they do that my over/under odds on the QB getting hurt is under 8 games.

At CB, if they can resign Sidney Jones at a not breaking the bank deal I'd prolly be OK to roll with him and CJ as the starters. On the DL do we even see guys like Al Woods, Rodney Gunter, or Lerentee McCray back? If so, do they add anything? Do we try to resign Abry Jones?  Does Bryan even make the team with a change in scheme? There are a lot of FA DL players that could make a difference for the Jags. Overall, assuming the guys I listed do not make it to FA, if the Jags walk out of FA with LT Trent Williams, DE Leonard Williams, FS Marcus Williams, and CB Sidney Jones plus a few lower tier guys like TE Tonyan or Everett I would be ecstatic. I don't see but maybe 1 of those guys wearing the Jags uni next year.

I would add LB to that list of needs, while I am not 100% certain two new starters are needed on the OL.

While we ostensibly have 4 starters at LB (assuming a switch to a base 3-4)-Chaisson, Allen, Jack and Schoebert, I;m not sold these guys are all quality starters or necessarily fit that scheme.  I am definitely far from sold on Chaisson, though I think his chances for success are better as a 3-4 OLB as opposed to a 4-3 DE.  For most of his career, Jack had protection from his DL.  But it would seem he would best fit inside in a 3-4.  If so, he would likely be tasked on taking on guards, and I am unsure  how he would fare in that role.  I think he could drop well in coverage, and even be okay in man, whether taking a TE up the seam or a RB out of the backfield.  But fighting off the blocks is something I question.  I think Schoebert is the opposite.  I think Schoebert can call the defense and take on guards (though I would like to see him a little heavier), I don't think he would do too well in underneath coverage.  I have no doubt Josh Allen fits perfectly in a 3-4, but I do wonder about his overall effectiveness, especially after last year's drop off.  But more than that, we have no depth at those positions.  You can make the argument restocking the defense will take numerical priority in terms of draft capital.  For the record, I am not relying on any of the vets you mentioned (Woods, Gunter, McCray, Bryan), which makes the beed to restock the defense even more dire.

As for OL, I definitely see the need for a new LT.  I have repeatedly stated we need to target Trent Williams.  I am not thrilled with Taylor's play at RT, but as long as LT is stabilized, Taylor can be tolerable, especially if other players around him are more effective.  For instance, if TEs and WRs get open more quickly, it's less Taylor will be expected to hold his block.  If one guy is the glaring weakness in an OL, there are times you can scheme around him.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(02-23-2021, 08:04 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(02-23-2021, 07:30 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Honestly, I don't know. I wouldn't specifically target any TE in any particular round. It would all depend on how the board fell and which players I had rated at the top of my board and who was available. I'm not one of those people who subscribes to the idea that we must find a breakout TE this season. We have a ton of needs on this team and ultimately some needs will get addressed and others won't. Rome wasn't built in a day and I know we are in a total re-build, so realistically we are probably looking at 2-3 years before we will be competitive. As long as we go into next season with a new QB, better O-Line protection on the edge for that QB and major improvements at a few defensive positions, I will be happy. If we cannot find a franchise TE this year, I look for one next season. You can win games with average TE play. Yes, great teams like Kansas City and Tampa Bay have excellent TE's, but guys like Kelce and Gronkowski are also future Hall of Famers. Those kinds of players are few and far between. If we could get someone who could give us key yards as a "safety net" player for the QB, I'll be satisfied with that. We'll just have to see how things play out.

I don't know how you are defining "breakout" TE.
First and foremost, I look for a TE that could provide that security blanket for a QB.  The guy who, when the chips are down, can reliably get open-especially over the middle, catch the ball, and move the chains.  People say that great QBs make the receiver.  While there is some truth to that, most great QBs have had weapons at TE that helped enable them to be great.  Brady has Gronk.  Brett Favre had Chmura and Jackson.  Aikman had Novacek.  Fouts had Winslow.  Stabler had Casper.  Beyond that, having a TE that can create match up problems for defenses can take the offense to another level.  Many of those guys I listed above created matchup problems for defenses, and their offenses were better for it.
If, as you observe, we are 2-3 years before we are competitive, then it wouldn't be devastating if a rookie TE we provided for TL wouldn't have a HUGE immediate impact.  As long as they "grow up" together in the scheme and both improve over time, I'm okay with it.  But I suspect Friermuth would have a pretty decent impact for TL this year as his security blanket, and has the ability to pose problems for some defenses.

An average TE can provide a security blanket. A breakout TE is exactly that. Someone who comes in an makes an impact immediately like Kelce did in his first full season when he had 862 yards receiving or like Rob Gronkowski did as a rookie when he scored 10 TD's. Those guys are total anomalies. 

I totally believe a great QB will make average receivers look better. That's why I am so against selecting a receiver early in the draft. I believe we have very talented WR's, but they have been hindered by terrible QB play. I'm fully expecting Chark and Shenault in particular, to have breakout seasons in the next 2 years with Lawrence throwing to them. Just look at the season Trevor had last year with a group of sub-par Clemson receivers. He could do the same for an average TE. I like James O'Shaughnessy. Before he got injured, I thought he had a lot of promise. If we re-sign him and if he's back to 100% next season, I believe he could be the "security net" kind of TE you describe. Maybe he won't have overly gaudy stats, but I believe he would be an effective TE. 

Personally, I'm just not "blown away" by any certain TE in this draft. I love the potential of Kyle Pitts, but the injuries are a real red flag. Freiermuth looks ok, but he's certainly no T.J. Hockenson, imo. I believe better players at other positions will be available when he is selected. I like Hunter Long and Brevin Jordan in the middle rounds, but I'd have to see what players are on the board at that point. Three guys that do intrigue me a lot as a late round selections are Kenny Yeboah of Mississippi, Matt Bushman of BYU and Zach Davidson of Central Missouri. If one of them is available late in the draft, I definitely pull the trigger. They are raw, but show a lot of potential. Bushman would have gone much higher had he not missed all of last season with an injury. He was supposed to be Zach Wilson's "go to" guy.

(02-23-2021, 08:04 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(02-23-2021, 07:30 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Honestly, I don't know. I wouldn't specifically target any TE in any particular round. It would all depend on how the board fell and which players I had rated at the top of my board and who was available. I'm not one of those people who subscribes to the idea that we must find a breakout TE this season. We have a ton of needs on this team and ultimately some needs will get addressed and others won't. Rome wasn't built in a day and I know we are in a total re-build, so realistically we are probably looking at 2-3 years before we will be competitive. As long as we go into next season with a new QB, better O-Line protection on the edge for that QB and major improvements at a few defensive positions, I will be happy. If we cannot find a franchise TE this year, I look for one next season. You can win games with average TE play. Yes, great teams like Kansas City and Tampa Bay have excellent TE's, but guys like Kelce and Gronkowski are also future Hall of Famers. Those kinds of players are few and far between. If we could get someone who could give us key yards as a "safety net" player for the QB, I'll be satisfied with that. We'll just have to see how things play out.

I don't know how you are defining "breakout" TE.
First and foremost, I look for a TE that could provide that security blanket for a QB.  The guy who, when the chips are down, can reliably get open-especially over the middle, catch the ball, and move the chains.  People say that great QBs make the receiver.  While there is some truth to that, most great QBs have had weapons at TE that helped enable them to be great.  Brady has Gronk.  Brett Favre had Chmura and Jackson.  Aikman had Novacek.  Fouts had Winslow.  Stabler had Casper.  Beyond that, having a TE that can create match up problems for defenses can take the offense to another level.  Many of those guys I listed above created matchup problems for defenses, and their offenses were better for it.
If, as you observe, we are 2-3 years before we are competitive, then it wouldn't be devastating if a rookie TE we provided for TL wouldn't have a HUGE immediate impact.  As long as they "grow up" together in the scheme and both improve over time, I'm okay with it.  But I suspect Friermuth would have a pretty decent impact for TL this year as his security blanket, and has the ability to pose problems for some defenses.

Agreed

(02-23-2021, 08:30 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(02-23-2021, 06:54 PM)JagswinJagswin Wrote: Assuming that QB is the first pick of the draft, IMO the biggest needs for the Jags to fill in the off-season are 2 starters on the OL with 1 being a LT, DL, FS, CB, TE. How they come about, I don't care if it's draft, trade, or free agency. I don't think the Jags are going to be as fruitful as we hope in free agency with big named guys. While I would like to have players like Jonnu Smith, Marcus Maye, or Justin Simmons I don't feel any of those guys will hit free agency. Nor do I see a guy like Hunter Henry making it to be a FA.

I would love to have Trent Williams for a 3 year deal, it all depends on how high the bidding goes for his services. If they are addressing OL, like I pray they do, then they may have to look into other option like trading for one of the Saints OT. A post 6/1 trade of Armstead saves the Saints over 11.6m on the cap. Ramczyk only has 1 year left of his contract at 11m savings. Not sure how the Saints would be able to get enough off their cap to resign him next year. The Jags may be able to give up something like the 25, 65, and 154 to get one of them and resign if it's Ram. The Saints are going to have to work some magic to keep both of those guys. The Falcons are over the cap by like 12m, they may listen to an offer for LT Jake Matthews but I doubt it, he's been consistent and reliable. In the end my bet is the Jags tag or resign Cam, ugh, and hope he performs better with better coaching and I'd be ok with that i guess if he resigns for 10-12m a year, which isn't going to happen. My bet is they draft an OL or 2 during the draft and run with this average at best OL. If they do that my over/under odds on the QB getting hurt is under 8 games.

At CB, if they can resign Sidney Jones at a not breaking the bank deal I'd prolly be OK to roll with him and CJ as the starters. On the DL do we even see guys like Al Woods, Rodney Gunter, or Lerentee McCray back? If so, do they add anything? Do we try to resign Abry Jones?  Does Bryan even make the team with a change in scheme? There are a lot of FA DL players that could make a difference for the Jags. Overall, assuming the guys I listed do not make it to FA, if the Jags walk out of FA with LT Trent Williams, DE Leonard Williams, FS Marcus Williams, and CB Sidney Jones plus a few lower tier guys like TE Tonyan or Everett I would be ecstatic. I don't see but maybe 1 of those guys wearing the Jags uni next year.

I would add LB to that list of needs, while I am not 100% certain two new starters are needed on the OL.

While we ostensibly have 4 starters at LB (assuming a switch to a base 3-4)-Chaisson, Allen, Jack and Schoebert, I;m not sold these guys are all quality starters or necessarily fit that scheme.  I am definitely far from sold on Chaisson, though I think his chances for success are better as a 3-4 OLB as opposed to a 4-3 DE.  For most of his career, Jack had protection from his DL.  But it would seem he would best fit inside in a 3-4.  If so, he would likely be tasked on taking on guards, and I am unsure  how he would fare in that role.  I think he could drop well in coverage, and even be okay in man, whether taking a TE up the seam or a RB out of the backfield.  But fighting off the blocks is something I question.  I think Schoebert is the opposite.  I think Schoebert can call the defense and take on guards (though I would like to see him a little heavier), I don't think he would do too well in underneath coverage.  I have no doubt Josh Allen fits perfectly in a 3-4, but I do wonder about his overall effectiveness, especially after last year's drop off.  But more than that, we have no depth at those positions.  You can make the argument restocking the defense will take numerical priority in terms of draft capital.  For the record, I am not relying on any of the vets you mentioned (Woods, Gunter, McCray, Bryan), which makes the beed to restock the defense even more dire.

As for OL, I definitely see the need for a new LT.  I have repeatedly stated we need to target Trent Williams.  I am not thrilled with Taylor's play at RT, but as long as LT is stabilized, Taylor can be tolerable, especially if other players around him are more effective.  For instance, if TEs and WRs get open more quickly, it's less Taylor will be expected to hold his block.  If one guy is the glaring weakness in an OL, there are times you can scheme around him.

While I would love to get 2 new starting OT's, I don't see that realistically happening. I believe that it is imperative we find a really good LT, but I don't see this team giving up on Taylor just yet, even though his play got significantly worse. At best, I'd hope that they would bring in some competition at RT in the mid to later rounds. 

I agree about the linebacker position particularly if we switch to a 3-4 set. We have Allen and Chaisson, but literally no real depth behind them at OLB. Injuries occur as we are all too familiar with and we're gonna need to add to the position. The same goes for ILB. Jack I think will be o.k, as long as he stays healthy, but I have a lot of doubts on how Schobert would fare in that system. I wasn't impressed with him as a 4-3 LB last year either. He took way too many bad angles and seemed to always be behind the ball carrier. I'd love to add an ILB with coverage skills. Someone to really cover the opposing TE, as that has been our achilles heel in recent years. Depth is gonna be key at these positions and right now, we lack depth.

(This post was last modified: 02-24-2021, 11:51 AM by flgatorsandjags.)

I agree with th guys on 1010xl. If we aren't convinced we can sign Trent Williams and they don't plan on going all out for him, I would tag Cam. I still think Cam will be better this year than any rookie LT tackle that will be available at 25

(This post was last modified: 02-24-2021, 02:27 PM by ATLjag.)

The young "next tier" WRs are interesting this year in FA. I wouldn't mind Curtis Samuel or Corey Davis, if the top ones go elsewhere or are too expensive.

I think the Chargers wind up giving Henry a long term deal, and I don't think the Titans work out anything with Jonnu. We should 100% get one of Jonnu, Everett, or Alie-Cox. I get that everyone is racing to give us Freiermuth because we hired his coach, but I just don't think he is a scheme fit with Meyer. Meyer used Aaron Hernandez as a pace and space weapon and other than him he has never really used TE in his offenses, especially not at OSU.

(02-24-2021, 11:51 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I agree with th guys on 1010xl.  If we aren't convinced we can sign Trent Williams and they don't plan on going all out for him, I would tag Cam.  I still think Cam will be better  this year than any rookie LT tackle that will be available at 25

I don't understand how anyone who has actually been watching Jaguars football for the last 3 years would agree to such a ridiculous idea? PFF watches every play of every OT in the league and scores them for the season. Cam Robinson graded a measly 61.8 and Jawaan Taylor was even worse with 56.5 that is among the lowest combo scores in the league. To put this in perspective, the Bengals and their fans are dying to draft Penei Sewell, so they can move Jonah Williams to RT and rid themselves of current RT Bobby Hart who has been a mess. Hart scored a 66.3 last season. That is significantly better than both of our OT's and he's horrible! Why would we tag an OT that has been so bad? That is a loser's mentality. 

There are at least a dozen OT's in this draft that I believe would be upgrades over Robinson. I'm not saying all of them would be great players. I'm just saying Robinson and Taylor have set the bar so low, that at least a dozen rookie OT's would be better than them. Don't get me wrong, I don't just want an upgrade, I'd like to get a franchise LT, but even an upgrade would be better than the garbage we have out there currently at OT. Both Robinson and Taylor are slow footed and slow to get out of their stances and regularly get beaten off the edge. Ideally, we would sign Trent Williams and select competition for Taylor on the right side, but if we don't, I fully believe we can find either a franchise LT or at least a major upgrade at the LT position via the draft.

If 1010xl and flgators are on one side, far more often than not you want to be on the opposite side.

(02-24-2021, 02:53 PM)Upper Wrote: I think the Chargers wind up giving Henry a long term deal, and I don't think the Titans work out anything with Jonnu. We should 100% get one of Jonnu, Everett, or Alie-Cox. I get that everyone is racing to give us Freiermuth because we hired his coach, but I just don't think he is a scheme fit with Meyer. Meyer used Aaron Hernandez as a pace and space weapon and other than him he has never really used TE in his offenses, especially not at OSU.

Personally, after hearing Meyer talk about wanting to improve team speed, I don't think Freiermuth is a good fit. He has great hands and is a decent blocker, but he looks very slow on tape. If we were to draft a TE, I believe we would probably look for a faster option like Hunter Long, Kenny Yeboah or Matt Bushman (assuming he heals back to 100%).

(This post was last modified: 02-24-2021, 04:23 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(02-24-2021, 04:03 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(02-24-2021, 11:51 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I agree with th guys on 1010xl.  If we aren't convinced we can sign Trent Williams and they don't plan on going all out for him, I would tag Cam.  I still think Cam will be better  this year than any rookie LT tackle that will be available at 25

I don't understand how anyone who has actually been watching Jaguars football for the last 3 years would agree to such a ridiculous idea? PFF watches every play of every OT in the league and scores them for the season. Cam Robinson graded a measly 61.8 and Jawaan Taylor was even worse with 56.5 that is among the lowest combo scores in the league. To put this in perspective, the Bengals and their fans are dying to draft Penei Sewell, so they can move Jonah Williams to RT and rid themselves of current RT Bobby Hart who has been a mess. Hart scored a 66.3 last season. That is significantly better than both of our OT's and he's horrible! Why would we tag an OT that has been so bad? That is a loser's mentality. 

There are at least a dozen OT's in this draft that I believe would be upgrades over Robinson. I'm not saying all of them would be great players. I'm just saying Robinson and Taylor have set the bar so low, that at least a dozen rookie OT's would be better than them. Don't get me wrong, I don't just want an upgrade, I'd like to get a franchise LT, but even an upgrade would be better than the garbage we have out there currently at OT. Both Robinson and Taylor are slow footed and slow to get out of their stances and regularly get beaten off the edge. Ideally, we would sign Trent Williams and select competition for Taylor on the right side, but if we don't, I fully believe we can find either a franchise LT or at least a major upgrade at the LT position via the draft.

I disagree, I don't see a dozen LTs in this draft being better than Robinson next year.  I don't even think there will be 5 better.  Robinson and Taylor did play poorly last year but I think they both play better this upcoming year with Meyer there.  I hope we get Williams as well though and I'd be good with getting Okung as well

(02-24-2021, 02:53 PM)Upper Wrote: I think the Chargers wind up giving Henry a long term deal, and I don't think the Titans work out anything with Jonnu. We should 100% get one of Jonnu, Everett, or Alie-Cox. I get that everyone is racing to give us Freiermuth because we hired his coach, but I just don't think he is a scheme fit with Meyer. Meyer used Aaron Hernandez as a pace and space weapon and other than him he has never really used TE in his offenses, especially not at OSU.

Having his coach is nice bit that has nothing to do with why people want Freiermuth

I think you would have to do it if you think Williams is out of reach, because there's no guarantee you get the rookie T you want/need.

At that point, you'd hope that with him being three years removed from his ACL, he could improve his performance, while I would definitely use the 25 to take a T (and possibly trade up) to give him competition and provide depth.

But Williams would have to ask for something totally unreasonable for him to be out of reach for me (he says as he's spending someone else's money), or Williams would have to flat out say he wants nothing to do with this team or town.

(This post was last modified: 02-24-2021, 05:50 PM by Bullseye.)

(02-24-2021, 04:04 PM)Upper Wrote: If 1010xl and flgators are on one side, far more often than not you want to be on the opposite side.

Shots fired!

Dude, flgators is pretty knowledgeable.  Yeah he pushes his Gators, but I think his takes are pretty good overall.  I can't recall having strong disagreements with him on a guy's talent or ability.

I think most of the participants in this thread are good-not that I am in any real position to adversely judge at this stage.

(02-24-2021, 04:10 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:

Personally, after hearing Meyer talk about wanting to improve team speed, I don't think Freiermuth is a good fit. He has great hands and is a decent blocker, but he looks very slow on tape. If we were to draft a TE, I believe we would probably look for a faster option like Hunter Long, Kenny Yeboah or Matt Bushman (assuming he heals back to 100%).

I don't see the slowness on tape.

To me, he shows as much speed and athletic ability as Gesicki, but he's bigger.

(This post was last modified: 02-24-2021, 06:00 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(02-24-2021, 05:42 PM)Bullseye Wrote:

I think you would have to do it if you think Williams is out of reach, because there's no guarantee you get the rookie T you want/need.

At that point, you'd hope that with him being three years removed from his ACL, he could improve his performance, while I would definitely use the 25 to take a T (and possibly trade up) to give him competition and provide depth.

But Williams would have to ask for something totally unreasonable for him to be out of reach for me (he says as he's spending someone else's money), or Williams would have to flat out say he wants nothing to do with this team or town.

Agreed, if I did if we didnt feel like we can get Williams for whatever reasons like you say and we tag Cam, that wouldnt stop me from drafting a LT just because we tagged him.  If we have a tackle at the top of our board when its our pick take him. But I think if we dont tag Cam and miss on Willimas and Okunk in FA then I think we might be forced to reach for need at LT and thats something I dont want to do

(02-24-2021, 05:48 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(02-24-2021, 04:04 PM)Upper Wrote: If 1010xl and flgators are on one side, far more often than not you want to be on the opposite side.

Shots fired!

Dude, flgators is pretty knowledgeable.  Yeah he pushes his Gators, but I think his takes are pretty good overall.  I can't recall having strong disagreements with him on a guy's talent or ability.

I think most of the participants in this thread are good-not that I am in any real position to adversely judge at this stage.

(02-24-2021, 04:10 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Personally, after hearing Meyer talk about wanting to improve team speed, I don't think Freiermuth is a good fit. He has great hands and is a decent blocker, but he looks very slow on tape. If we were to draft a TE, I believe we would probably look for a faster option like Hunter Long, Kenny Yeboah or Matt Bushman (assuming he heals back to 100%).

Yeah, me and you usually agree on most takes.  The people on here that liked Freiermuth, liked him before we hired Bowen.

(This post was last modified: 02-24-2021, 07:39 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(02-24-2021, 04:21 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(02-24-2021, 04:03 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I don't understand how anyone who has actually been watching Jaguars football for the last 3 years would agree to such a ridiculous idea? PFF watches every play of every OT in the league and scores them for the season. Cam Robinson graded a measly 61.8 and Jawaan Taylor was even worse with 56.5 that is among the lowest combo scores in the league. To put this in perspective, the Bengals and their fans are dying to draft Penei Sewell, so they can move Jonah Williams to RT and rid themselves of current RT Bobby Hart who has been a mess. Hart scored a 66.3 last season. That is significantly better than both of our OT's and he's horrible! Why would we tag an OT that has been so bad? That is a loser's mentality. 

I disagree, I don't see a dozen LTs in this draft being better than Robinson next year.  I don't even think there will be 5 better.  Robinson and Taylor did play poorly last year but I think they both play better this upcoming year with Meyer there.  I hope we get Williams as well though and I'd be good with getting Okung as well

I definitely see many rookie OT's being better. Robinson's low blocking scores prove it. Cam Robinson is just bad. He is what he is at this point. He's had time to get better and he hasn't. Sometimes you just have to look at a player and realize he is what he is and accept reality. 

This is what baffles me. Please explain why you feel that a different head coach is somehow gonna make Robinson and Taylor better? They are gonna have the same position coach that they've had all along (Warhop) and they will still possess the same heavy-footedness that they've always had, as you can't waive  magic wand and make that go away. What is gonna be different about this coming season? Is it just blind optimism? That seems like the only explanation to me. 

In past seasons we've done the same thing over and over. We select a player fairly high in the draft and we hold onto him way too long, hoping year after year he's gonna get better and he never does. I wanna break that cycle. Sometimes you have to recognize a player is just not what you thought he was gonna be and move on. The faster you move on, the quicker you can fix the problem. Tagging a bad player, because you fear you may not find a better guy in the draft is something our past regimes would do. This is a very deep OT class and we have the #25, #33 and #45 picks. I am beyond optimistic that we can find a major upgrade at LT.

(02-24-2021, 05:48 PM)Bullseye Wrote:

Shots fired!

(02-24-2021, 04:10 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Personally, after hearing Meyer talk about wanting to improve team speed, I don't think Freiermuth is a good fit. He has great hands and is a decent blocker, but he looks very slow on tape. If we were to draft a TE, I believe we would probably look for a faster option like Hunter Long, Kenny Yeboah or Matt Bushman (assuming he heals back to 100%).

I certainly do. It looks like he's running in slow motion. Gesicki looked much faster, but Freiermuth has MUCH better hands.

Whoa, Gesicki is an all time athlete at TE. Freiermuth looks pretty average athletically to me. Definitely not a typical Meyer TE. I'm sure Meyer can and will adjust his scheme to his players to an extent, but I don't know that you do that for a rookie second round TE.

(02-24-2021, 09:27 PM)Upper Wrote: Whoa, Gesicki is an all time athlete at TE. Freiermuth looks pretty average athletically to me. Definitely not a typical Meyer TE. I'm sure Meyer can and will adjust his scheme to his players to an extent, but I don't know that you do that for a rookie second round TE.

What does round have any thing to do with it? Lol

(02-24-2021, 07:37 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(02-24-2021, 04:21 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I disagree, I don't see a dozen LTs in this draft being better than Robinson next year.  I don't even think there will be 5 better.  Robinson and Taylor did play poorly last year but I think they both play better this upcoming year with Meyer there.  I hope we get Williams as well though and I'd be good with getting Okung as well

I definitely see many rookie OT's being better. Robinson's low blocking scores prove it. Cam Robinson is just bad. He is what he is at this point. He's had time to get better and he hasn't. Sometimes you just have to look at a player and realize he is what he is and accept reality. 

This is what baffles me. Please explain why you feel that a different head coach is somehow gonna make Robinson and Taylor better? They are gonna have the same position coach that they've had all along (Warhop) and they will still possess the same heavy-footedness that they've always had, as you can't waive  magic wand and make that go away. What is gonna be different about this coming season? Is it just blind optimism? That seems like the only explanation to me. 

In past seasons we've done the same thing over and over. We select a player fairly high in the draft and we hold onto him way too long, hoping year after year he's gonna get better and he never does. I wanna break that cycle. Sometimes you have to recognize a player is just not what you thought he was gonna be and move on. The faster you move on, the quicker you can fix the problem. Tagging a bad player, because you fear you may not find a better guy in the draft is something our past regimes would do. This is a very deep OT class and we have the #25, #33 and #45 picks. I am beyond optimistic that we can find a major upgrade at LT.

(02-24-2021, 05:48 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Shots fired!

I certainly do. It looks like he's running in slow motion. Gesicki looked much faster, but Freiermuth has MUCH better hands.
Because some coaches know how to motivate players and bring out the best in them, I think Urban will be one of those coaches.  Not to mention a full training camp and Urban will make sure they're in shape

(02-24-2021, 10:27 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(02-24-2021, 07:37 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I definitely see many rookie OT's being better. Robinson's low blocking scores prove it. Cam Robinson is just bad. He is what he is at this point. He's had time to get better and he hasn't. Sometimes you just have to look at a player and realize he is what he is and accept reality. 

Because some coaches know how to motivate players and bring out the best in them, I think Urban will be one of those coaches.  Not to mention a full training camp and Urban will make sure they're in shape

To each their own, but that is the epitome of blind optimism to me. It doesn't matter how much you motivate certain players, if they have plateaued in their talent level and I believe we've gotten everything out of these two OT's. I just don't wanna see Robinson and Taylor starting and causing a major injury to our franchise QB. That is one thing I will credit Gardner Minshew with. He took some absolutely wicked shots last year and he kept getting back up. We might not get so lucking in 2021.

No way you tag him. He is nowhere nearly worthy of top 5 tackle money. Better strategy would be to get in touch with a cash-strapped team and offer a pick or two for a decent tackle.

I think we may make an offer, but it ain't gonna be top 5 money, unless Baalke really is that bad at his job.