Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The pick no one's talking about

(12-25-2020, 10:49 AM)Upper Wrote:
(12-25-2020, 12:42 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Pitts aint like every other TE.  There is a reason he is the first TE ever to be a Biletnikoff Award finalist.  Pitts isn't a horrible blocker either like Jimmy Graham though and he is a matchup nightmare, rookie or not.  You cant look at what past TEs done because none are the matchup nightmare Pitts is and is why he will go very early in the draft

Pitts is going to be awesome at some point, no one disagrees with that. However, it's just so damn hard to essentially be brought up to NFL speed as both a WR and an OL, which is what TE basically do. If I were to bet on a TE being an outlier it would be him, but it would still be betting on an outlier happening which is risky.

(12-25-2020, 03:00 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Who? After Darrisaw, there is a huge dropoff at LT, unless we target a RT to overthrow Taylor (which should be pretty easy.) In that case, I target Mayfield. If we waited to our first pick in round 2, I'd go after Eichenberg or Leatherwood and I'd take the best pass rusher with the Rams pick in round 1. There are a ton of directions we could go in and it all depends what we address in free agency.

Yes I would rather take Mayfield or Eichenberg in the 20s (or Leatherwood for guard) than trade a lot to move up to get Pitts. Would maybe rather just take Teller too. Hell according to most mocks we could get Lawrence at 1, Eichenberg at say 25, and then Mayfield at 34. Yes please to that.

I hate agreeing.  But the majority of the HOF tight ends didn't have good first years.  Hell, some barely played.  I got tired of looking, the only exception to the rule I ran across was Kelce.  Tight end  is not an easy transition from college to pro.  It's not an immediate impact position.  So if you're looking for an immediate impact player, you're probably not going to get one (percentage-wise).  I wouldn't be surprised to see him go top ten.  But I certainly wouldn't trade up for him, as thin as our roster is.  If he somehow drops to our second pick...sure, take him.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 12-25-2020, 01:15 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(12-25-2020, 11:18 AM)RicoTx Wrote:
(12-25-2020, 10:49 AM)Upper Wrote: Pitts is going to be awesome at some point, no one disagrees with that. However, it's just so damn hard to essentially be brought up to NFL speed as both a WR and an OL, which is what TE basically do. If I were to bet on a TE being an outlier it would be him, but it would still be betting on an outlier happening which is risky.

Yes I would rather take Mayfield or Eichenberg in the 20s (or Leatherwood for guard) than trade a lot to move up to get Pitts. Would maybe rather just take Teller too. Hell according to most mocks we could get Lawrence at 1, Eichenberg at say 25, and then Mayfield at 34. Yes please to that.

I hate agreeing.  But the majority of the HOF tight ends didn't have good first years.  Hell, some barely played.  I got tired of looking, the only exception to the rule I ran across was Kelce.  Tight end  is not an easy transition from college to pro.  It's not an immediate impact position.  So if you're looking for an immediate impact player, you're probably not going to get one (percentage-wise).  I wouldn't be surprised to see him go top ten.  But I certainly wouldn't trade up for him, as thin as our roster is.  If he somehow drops to our second pick...sure, take him.

He doesn't have to put up 100 yards his rookie year to make an impact.  I think he could make a Jeremy Shockey type impact his rookie year though.  Even if he puts up 500 or 600 yards his rookie year and 3 or 4 TDs, defenses are going to have to account for him.  I really doubt we trade up that far though for any player so this is probably moot anyway

Hunter Henry put up 500 yards and 8 TDs his rookie year, Pitts could do rhat

(This post was last modified: 12-25-2020, 09:10 PM by Upper.)

(12-25-2020, 11:08 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I certainly wouldn't be totally opposed to that, but it may be overkill. I really don't wanna start two rookie OT's. I REALLY wanna get Trent Williams in free agency and add one of those guys in the draft. I'd rather have a really good veteran on one side and a promising, young rookie on the other. I wanna do all we can to protect Lawrence.

Sure, it would be awesome to just pay an elite OT but I'm not counting on that.

(12-25-2020, 01:14 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Hunter Henry put up 500 yards and 8 TDs his rookie year, Pitts could do rhat

It would cost what to move from mid 20s to the top 10 range...at least another 2nd and 3rd, if not a future 1st? For 500 yards and 8 TDs on the top end? No thanks, I will just stay put and take someone to protect Lawrence.

(12-25-2020, 09:06 PM)Upper Wrote:
(12-25-2020, 11:08 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I certainly wouldn't be totally opposed to that, but it may be overkill. I really don't wanna start two rookie OT's. I REALLY wanna get Trent Williams in free agency and add one of those guys in the draft. I'd rather have a really good veteran on one side and a promising, young rookie on the other. I wanna do all we can to protect Lawrence.

(12-25-2020, 01:14 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Hunter Henry put up 500 yards and 8 TDs his rookie year, Pitts could do rhat

It would cost what to move from mid 20s to the top 10 range...at least another 2nd and 3rd, if not a future 1st? For 500 yards and 8 TDs on the top end? No thanks, I will just stay put and take someone to protect Lawrence.

Thats just his first year.  I think by year 2 he will make the PB.  Regardless I say he goes top 10 and we won't move up that far for anyone

(12-25-2020, 09:06 PM)Upper Wrote:

With all the money we have to spend in free agency, what I would do is offer Williams the richest 3 year deal in league history. Front load the crap out of it and basically give us an easy out in the 3rd year. He should love it, because he gets the bulk of the money up front and that buys us at least 2 years to find a franchise LT in an upcoming draft. Until then, we'd have an NFL LT that has been a borderline HOF'er, so far in his career.

If only it were that simple.

(12-26-2020, 10:59 AM)Upper Wrote: If only it were that simple.

It may not happen, but offering a huge, front loaded, short-term deal is the best option.

(This post was last modified: 12-28-2020, 11:19 AM by Mikey.)

(12-23-2020, 11:59 PM)Jagsfan32277 Wrote:
(12-23-2020, 04:33 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Lawrence and Pitts would be a dream.  The 2 positions we have needed the longest and 2 future All Pros

It be like our Mahomes and kelce.  We'd be unstoppable.

or our Drew Lock and Noah Fant.

Gimme the big guys early. (and by early, I mean at 20-ish)

(12-24-2020, 10:39 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: It is so refreshing and surreal to know David Caldwell won't be making these picks.

We're interviewing Jerry Reese, so come back down to Earth. Sick

(12-24-2020, 05:20 PM)High Octane Wrote: Lets say Jaguars are selecting mid-20's. Kyle Pitts is available at pick 14. Would you guys trade our remaining 1st round pick + the 33rd pick to move up and get Pitts?  Lawrence + Chark + JRob + Pitts is a nice little start.

Or select BAP at mid-20 and select another BAP at 33.

Gimme the second option every day.

We are not a TE away from the postseason. Hockenson was a slam-dunk top-ten TE plugged into an offense with an established top QB, and did he accomplish?

We have holes just about everywhere on the roster, we need to be filling as many as possible, especially with those early picks.

(12-28-2020, 11:14 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(12-23-2020, 11:59 PM)Jagsfan32277 Wrote: It be like our Mahomes and kelce.  We'd be unstoppable.

or our Drew Lock and Noah Fant.

(12-24-2020, 10:39 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: It is so refreshing and surreal to know David Caldwell won't be making these picks.

(12-24-2020, 05:20 PM)High Octane Wrote: Lets say Jaguars are selecting mid-20's. Kyle Pitts is available at pick 14. Would you guys trade our remaining 1st round pick + the 33rd pick to move up and get Pitts?  Lawrence + Chark + JRob + Pitts is a nice little start.

Or select BAP at mid-20 and select another BAP at 33.

We are not a TE away from the postseason. Hockenson was a slam-dunk top-ten TE plugged into an offense with an established top QB, and did he accomplish?

We have holes just about everywhere on the roster, we need to be filling as many as possible, especially with those early picks.

So if the top tackles are off the board at our pick you would draft a lineman just to draft one because you want one regardless of value?

(12-28-2020, 11:51 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(12-28-2020, 11:14 AM)Mikey Wrote: or our Drew Lock and Noah Fant.

So if the top tackles are off the board at our pick you would draft a lineman just to draft one because you want one regardless of value?

based on the original scenario, where BAP was the pick at 20-ish and 33, if a lineman (even 5th best) is BAP at that point, for sure I do.

Let's go back to 2019: You can trade up for Hockenson, or have your pick of two among the following:
OT Andre Dillard, Tytus Howard, J. Taylor, Cody Ford (picked 22, 23, 35,38)
DE Montez Sweat, LJ Collier (26,29)
S J. Abram (27)
in addition to the above, add in Hollywood Brown, N. Harry, and Deebo at WR.

I'll fill two holes from that list over Hock. I'd do the same w/r/t Pitts as well.

(12-28-2020, 03:17 PM)Mikey Wrote:
(12-28-2020, 11:51 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: So if the top tackles are off the board at our pick you would draft a lineman just to draft one because you want one regardless of value?

based on the original scenario, where BAP was the pick at 20-ish and 33, if a lineman (even 5th best) is BAP at that point, for sure I do.

Let's go back to 2019: You can trade up for Hockenson, or have your pick of two among the following:
S J. Abram (27)

I'll fill two holes from that list over Hock. I'd do the same w/r/t Pitts as well.
The problem here is that Pitts is way better than the Hock. I don't understand how we're not drooling at the chomp to move up and draft Pitts. He's the best pass catcher in the draft hands down. Plus he is a TE, you know a position of need.

I like how you illustrated the 2019 scenario. Do you want two bums or a great player? Hmmm

Also, Andre Dilliard was Twitter's playboy that year? Guess who that guy is this year? Christian Darrisaw. Don't settle
Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.

(12-29-2020, 12:32 AM)JaG4LyFe Wrote:
(12-28-2020, 03:17 PM)Mikey Wrote: based on the original scenario, where BAP was the pick at 20-ish and 33, if a lineman (even 5th best) is BAP at that point, for sure I do.

S J. Abram (27)

The problem here is that Pitts is way better than the Hock. I don't understand how we're not drooling at the chomp to move up and draft Pitts. He's the best pass catcher in the draft hands down. Plus he is a TE, you know a position of need.

I like how you illustrated the 2019 scenario. Do you want two bums or a great player? Hmmm

Also, Andre Dilliard was Twitter's playboy that year? Guess who that guy is this year? Christian Darrisaw. Don't settle

Here's the thing, you can turn an oversized WR into a good receiving TE. Darren Waller was a WR in college. One guy that just declared today is Simi Fehoko of Stanford. He is a 6'4" 230lb receiver. He had 37 receptions for 574 yards and averaged 15.5 yards per catch, despite bad QB play. I might take a mid round flyer on him and see if we could add about 10-15 more pounds to his frame. Maybe we could use him as a Darren Waller type TE.

(12-29-2020, 12:42 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(12-29-2020, 12:32 AM)JaG4LyFe Wrote: The problem here is that Pitts is way better than the Hock. I don't understand how we're not drooling at the chomp to move up and draft Pitts. He's the best pass catcher in the draft hands down. Plus he is a TE, you know a position of need.

Here's the thing, you can turn an oversized WR into a good receiving TE. Darren Waller was a WR in college. One guy that just declared today is Simi Fehoko of Stanford. He is a 6'4" 230lb receiver. He had 37 receptions for 574 yards and averaged 15.5 yards per catch, despite bad QB play. I might take a mid round flyer on him and see if we could add about 10-15 more pounds to his frame. Maybe we could use him as a Darren Waller type TE.

I guess you're missing the concept.  The players from 10 to 60 are interchangeable IMO. Why take three of those prospects when you can have one premier prospect. 

Secondly, the next tier of 60 to 120 is loaded with offensive lineman prospects for the taking and not too far off of the previous tier.

Thirdly, we're not going to right this ship in one offseason so why inundate the roster with a bunch of what if prospects?  How many draft picks did we add to the roster last offseason plus Robinson and Costin?
Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.

(12-29-2020, 03:26 AM)JaG4LyFe Wrote:
(12-29-2020, 12:42 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Here's the thing, you can turn an oversized WR into a good receiving TE. Darren Waller was a WR in college. One guy that just declared today is Simi Fehoko of Stanford. He is a 6'4" 230lb receiver. He had 37 receptions for 574 yards and averaged 15.5 yards per catch, despite bad QB play. I might take a mid round flyer on him and see if we could add about 10-15 more pounds to his frame. Maybe we could use him as a Darren Waller type TE.

I guess you're missing the concept.  The players from 10 to 60 are interchangeable IMO. Why take three of those prospects when you can have one premier prospect. 

Secondly, the next tier of 60 to 120 is loaded with offensive lineman prospects for the taking and not too far off of the previous tier.

Thirdly, we're not going to right this ship in one offseason so why inundate the roster with a bunch of what if prospects?  How many draft picks did we add to the roster last offseason plus Robinson and Costin?

I'm not missing the concept, I just completely disagree. I absolutely do not think that picks #60 through #120 are loaded with O-Linemen almost as good as the top tier. In fact, I only see a 2-3 LT's, maybe 4 in this draft, that I would even bother selecting. LT is such an important part of the offense, especially when we are bringing in a highly touted rookie QB. We can not mess this up by putting some "bargain basement" OT in there to protect Trevor's blindside. 

I don't believe in giving up draft picks in order to trade up, unless it is for a franchise QB or maybe a franchise LT. In the case of this upcoming draft, I'm staying put and letting the board come to us. I'm certainly not gonna trade up for an injury prone TE with minimal blocking skills, no matter how dynamic he is as a receiver. I believe we have a stable of good, young WR's and we can address TE via free agency. 

The only LT's in this draft that I would trust to protect Lawrence's blindside are Penei Sewell, Christian Darrisaw, Liam Eichenberg and possibly Dillon Radunz. One of those top 3 should be there when we use the Rams pick in round 1. I would only draft Radunz in round 2, should all three of my top guys are gone by the time we are up with our second pick in round 1. I will also look for a RT prospect later in the draft as competition for Jawaan Taylor. It's a lot easier to find good RT's than it is to find good LT's in the NFL. 

I know we aren't gonna be good right away. I would be perfectly satisfied if we went 6-10 in 2021 as long as we show real progress along the way and get better every year. Hopefully, we can reach the playoffs by 2023 and start to become a league juggernaut, but first and foremost, we gotta do everything in our power to protect our franchise QB. We cannot afford a Joe Burrow situation. We have good, young receivers, a really good, young RB, a decent interior O-Line, but the OT's are not good at all. They need immediate attention. I also would definitely address the TE situation, but I certainly wouldn't blow our chances at getting a really good LT in order to trade up and get a pure receiving TE like Pitts. I just don't think that is a smart move. 

This draft is extremely deep at WR. It's also fairly deep at RB, edge rusher, TE, CB, S and to a lesser degree DT. It is woefully thin at QB and LT after the first round and it lacks quality ILB's throughout. There is some really nice options at RT later in the draft and the same goes for OG and Center, up until the 5th round. How we draft on defense will all depend on who we hire as a Head Coach and what kind of system they run. I see a lot more depth at 3-4 OLB, than I see for 4-3 DE. We need at least 2 new pass rushers no matter what system we run. We were extremely thin this season and it showed. Josh Allen is the type of player that needs someone good on the D-Line to accompany him. As we saw in 2020, he is pretty uneffective on his own. 

We have a ton of holes to fill. There not all gonna be stars, but we can at least get upgrades at several positions to build a cohesive unit. We looked like the football version of the Bad News Bears out there this year, because of the lack of overall talent, especially on defense.

(12-29-2020, 12:32 AM)JaG4LyFe Wrote:
(12-28-2020, 03:17 PM)Mikey Wrote: based on the original scenario, where BAP was the pick at 20-ish and 33, if a lineman (even 5th best) is BAP at that point, for sure I do.

S J. Abram (27)

This is your opinion, and that's fine. we differ, and OLM explained the difference better than I could. we're not one guy away, and going all in on a gamble is not a luxury our roster affords us.

I'm a huge fan of Pitts...

I just don't see the value in trading up from 20ish to probably 10. Would it only cost 20ish and 33?
Maybe that's worth it... but if it's anything more, I'm gonna pass. The Rams pick could improve to 17 I think at best. If Pitts slid to 12 and we're at 17 and could use a 3rd to move up or something to that effect I'd be all on board. But trading away 2 very good picks or 3 picks in total would be a risky gamble while needing at least 4 other starters. We desperately need a TE. But we also need an impact safety, probably a new NB, maybe a 3T and another pass rusher. Also probably 1 OL guy, whether it's a guard or tackle.

We're not getting a lot of starters in round 4 or later.... so giving up our late first and second for just one of those positions is too much, imo. Even for Pitts.... who, again, I absolutely love.

If somehow Devante Smith fall, I would take him. I think he will be like Diggs

(This post was last modified: 12-29-2020, 11:07 AM by Upper.)

(12-29-2020, 04:17 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: The only LT's in this draft that I would trust to protect Lawrence's blindside are Penei Sewell, Christian Darrisaw, Liam Eichenberg and possibly Dillon Radunz.

Have you watched Faalele? I haven't but I see him mocked in the 2nd round, he has solid PFF grades, and at 6'9" 400 he makes Becton look small.

Little is also intriguing, wish he hadn't opted out.

Carman only allowed 4 pressures protecting Lawrence this year, might not be awful keeping them together?

(This post was last modified: 12-29-2020, 11:22 AM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(12-29-2020, 11:06 AM)Upper Wrote:
(12-29-2020, 04:17 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: The only LT's in this draft that I would trust to protect Lawrence's blindside are Penei Sewell, Christian Darrisaw, Liam Eichenberg and possibly Dillon Radunz.

Have you watched Faalele? I haven't but I see him mocked in the 2nd round, he has solid PFF grades, and at 6'9" 400 he makes Becton look small.

Carman only allowed 4 pressures protecting Lawrence this year, might not be awful keeping them together?

Yes, I have. Faalele is huge and has slow feet. He's destined for the right side. 

Little is a finesse Tackle who gets pushed around by bull rushers. 

Carman is interesting, but there is no indication he is declaring for the draft. If he does, he'd be up there with Sewell, Darrisaw and Eichenberg. He'd be a first rounder as well.

(12-29-2020, 11:21 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(12-29-2020, 11:06 AM)Upper Wrote: Have you watched Faalele? I haven't but I see him mocked in the 2nd round, he has solid PFF grades, and at 6'9" 400 he makes Becton look small.

Yes, I have. Faalele is huge and has slow feet. He's destined for the right side. 

Little is a finesse Tackle who gets pushed around by bull rushers. 

Carman is interesting, but there is no indication he is declaring for the draft. If he does, he'd be up there with Sewell, Darrisaw and Eichenberg. He'd be a first rounder as well.

I see that Brugler has Carman projected to declare for the draft, but has him as a guard (along with Leatherwood).