Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The pick no one's talking about

(12-29-2020, 04:17 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(12-29-2020, 03:26 AM)JaG4LyFe Wrote: I guess you're missing the concept.  The players from 10 to 60 are interchangeable IMO. Why take three of those prospects when you can have one premier prospect. 

Secondly, the next tier of 60 to 120 is loaded with offensive lineman prospects for the taking and not too far off of the previous tier.

Thirdly, we're not going to right this ship in one offseason so why inundate the roster with a bunch of what if prospects?  How many draft picks did we add to the roster last offseason plus Robinson and Costin?

I'm not missing the concept, I just completely disagree. I absolutely do not think that picks #60 through #120 are loaded with O-Linemen almost as good as the top tier. In fact, I only see a 2-3 LT's, maybe 4 in this draft, that I would even bother selecting. LT is such an important part of the offense, especially when we are bringing in a highly touted rookie QB. We can not mess this up by putting some "bargain basement" OT in there to protect Trevor's blindside. 

I don't believe in giving up draft picks in order to trade up, unless it is for a franchise QB or maybe a franchise LT. In the case of this upcoming draft, I'm staying put and letting the board come to us. I'm certainly not gonna trade up for an injury prone TE with minimal blocking skills, no matter how dynamic he is as a receiver. I believe we have a stable of good, young WR's and we can address TE via free agency. 

The only LT's in this draft that I would trust to protect Lawrence's blindside are Penei Sewell, Christian Darrisaw, Liam Eichenberg and possibly Dillon Radunz. One of those top 3 should be there when we use the Rams pick in round 1. I would only draft Radunz in round 2, should all three of my top guys are gone by the time we are up with our second pick in round 1. I will also look for a RT prospect later in the draft as competition for Jawaan Taylor. It's a lot easier to find good RT's than it is to find good LT's in the NFL. 

I know we aren't gonna be good right away. I would be perfectly satisfied if we went 6-10 in 2021 as long as we show real progress along the way and get better every year. Hopefully, we can reach the playoffs by 2023 and start to become a league juggernaut, but first and foremost, we gotta do everything in our power to protect our franchise QB. We cannot afford a Joe Burrow situation. We have good, young receivers, a really good, young RB, a decent interior O-Line, but the OT's are not good at all. They need immediate attention. I also would definitely address the TE situation, but I certainly wouldn't blow our chances at getting a really good LT in order to trade up and get a pure receiving TE like Pitts. I just don't think that is a smart move. 

This draft is extremely deep at WR. It's also fairly deep at RB, edge rusher, TE, CB, S and to a lesser degree DT. It is woefully thin at QB and LT after the first round and it lacks quality ILB's throughout. There is some really nice options at RT later in the draft and the same goes for OG and Center, up until the 5th round. How we draft on defense will all depend on who we hire as a Head Coach and what kind of system they run. I see a lot more depth at 3-4 OLB, than I see for 4-3 DE. We need at least 2 new pass rushers no matter what system we run. We were extremely thin this season and it showed. Josh Allen is the type of player that needs someone good on the D-Line to accompany him. As we saw in 2020, he is pretty uneffective on his own. 

We have a ton of holes to fill. There not all gonna be stars, but we can at least get upgrades at several positions to build a cohesive unit. We looked like the football version of the Bad News Bears out there this year, because of the lack of overall talent, especially on defense.

Outside of Sewell, those guys you listed are pedestrian at best. There's no LT tree we're going to pluck from in the draft. I'd rather franchise Robinson than draft one of those players
Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(12-29-2020, 02:58 PM)JaG4LyFe Wrote:
(12-29-2020, 04:17 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I'm not missing the concept, I just completely disagree. I absolutely do not think that picks #60 through #120 are loaded with O-Linemen almost as good as the top tier. In fact, I only see a 2-3 LT's, maybe 4 in this draft, that I would even bother selecting. LT is such an important part of the offense, especially when we are bringing in a highly touted rookie QB. We can not mess this up by putting some "bargain basement" OT in there to protect Trevor's blindside. 

I don't believe in giving up draft picks in order to trade up, unless it is for a franchise QB or maybe a franchise LT. In the case of this upcoming draft, I'm staying put and letting the board come to us. I'm certainly not gonna trade up for an injury prone TE with minimal blocking skills, no matter how dynamic he is as a receiver. I believe we have a stable of good, young WR's and we can address TE via free agency. 

The only LT's in this draft that I would trust to protect Lawrence's blindside are Penei Sewell, Christian Darrisaw, Liam Eichenberg and possibly Dillon Radunz. One of those top 3 should be there when we use the Rams pick in round 1. I would only draft Radunz in round 2, should all three of my top guys are gone by the time we are up with our second pick in round 1. I will also look for a RT prospect later in the draft as competition for Jawaan Taylor. It's a lot easier to find good RT's than it is to find good LT's in the NFL. 

I know we aren't gonna be good right away. I would be perfectly satisfied if we went 6-10 in 2021 as long as we show real progress along the way and get better every year. Hopefully, we can reach the playoffs by 2023 and start to become a league juggernaut, but first and foremost, we gotta do everything in our power to protect our franchise QB. We cannot afford a Joe Burrow situation. We have good, young receivers, a really good, young RB, a decent interior O-Line, but the OT's are not good at all. They need immediate attention. I also would definitely address the TE situation, but I certainly wouldn't blow our chances at getting a really good LT in order to trade up and get a pure receiving TE like Pitts. I just don't think that is a smart move. 

This draft is extremely deep at WR. It's also fairly deep at RB, edge rusher, TE, CB, S and to a lesser degree DT. It is woefully thin at QB and LT after the first round and it lacks quality ILB's throughout. There is some really nice options at RT later in the draft and the same goes for OG and Center, up until the 5th round. How we draft on defense will all depend on who we hire as a Head Coach and what kind of system they run. I see a lot more depth at 3-4 OLB, than I see for 4-3 DE. We need at least 2 new pass rushers no matter what system we run. We were extremely thin this season and it showed. Josh Allen is the type of player that needs someone good on the D-Line to accompany him. As we saw in 2020, he is pretty uneffective on his own. 

We have a ton of holes to fill. There not all gonna be stars, but we can at least get upgrades at several positions to build a cohesive unit. We looked like the football version of the Bad News Bears out there this year, because of the lack of overall talent, especially on defense.

Outside of Sewell, those guys you listed are pedestrian at best. There's no LT tree we're going to pluck from in the draft. I'd rather franchise Robinson than draft one of those players

Pedestrian? Neither Darrisaw or Eichenberg have allowed a sack this season. In fact, Eichenberg hasn't allowed a sack since September of 2018. Darrisaw has allowed no sacks this year and just 5 hurries during that time. Granted Radunz opted out of a completely meaningless one game season this year, but he dominated the FCS in 2019 and also didn't allow a sack in his last season of play. We need to protect Lawrence at all cost. These guys are more than qualified, but instead, you'd rather keep Robinson? Are you insane? Robinson sucks in pass protection. I'd rather sit Lawrence for a year than subject him to playing behind Robinson and Taylor. Why would you risk a Joe Burrow situation with our new QB?

Alijah Vera- Tucker has been shooting up draft boards, played guard and is playing LT at a high level this year. Some say he could be the first lineman off the board after Sewell

(12-29-2020, 04:14 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Alijah Vera- Tucker has been shooting up draft boards, played guard and is playing LT at a high level this year.  Some say he could be the first lineman off the board after Sewell

This is my just own personal opinion, but I see him as a pure OG who could play OT in a pinch in the NFL. I see big things for him and Rashawn Slater in the NFL, if they are drafted as OG's.

(12-29-2020, 04:19 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(12-29-2020, 04:14 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Alijah Vera- Tucker has been shooting up draft boards, played guard and is playing LT at a high level this year.  Some say he could be the first lineman off the board after Sewell

This is my just own personal opinion, but I see him as a pure OG who could play OT in a pinch in the NFL. I see big things for him and Rashawn Slater in the NFL, if they are drafted as OG's.

I haven't seen any USC games so I dunno

Yeah the Vera-Tucker opinions have been skewing guard from what I've seen too. A very, very good guard.

(12-29-2020, 09:56 PM)Upper Wrote: Yeah the Vera-Tucker opinions have been skewing guard from what I've seen too. A very, very good guard.

Agreed. That kid is gonna be a pro-bowl Guard someday. Slater too.

(12-29-2020, 10:18 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(12-29-2020, 09:56 PM)Upper Wrote: Yeah the Vera-Tucker opinions have been skewing guard from what I've seen too. A very, very good guard.

Agreed. That kid is gonna be a pro-bowl Guard someday. Slater too.

Despite being significantly smaller than you would want, I have yet to see many people think he can't hack it at tackle. The rest of his profile is just that good.

Alfred Collins is a monster. Future first overall pick

(12-29-2020, 10:50 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Alfred Collins is a monster.  Future first overall pick

Agreed. That interception was amazing. To look that athletic at 305 lbs. is ridiculous!

(12-29-2020, 03:45 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(12-29-2020, 02:58 PM)JaG4LyFe Wrote: Outside of Sewell, those guys you listed are pedestrian at best. There's no LT tree we're going to pluck from in the draft. I'd rather franchise Robinson than draft one of those players

Pedestrian? Neither Darrisaw or Eichenberg have allowed a sack this season. In fact, Eichenberg hasn't allowed a sack since September of 2018. Darrisaw has allowed no sacks this year and just 5 hurries during that time. Granted Radunz opted out of a completely meaningless one game season this year, but he dominated the FCS in 2019 and also didn't allow a sack in his last season of play. We need to protect Lawrence at all cost. These guys are more than qualified, but instead, you'd rather keep Robinson? Are you insane? Robinson sucks in pass protection. I'd rather sit Lawrence for a year than subject him to playing behind Robinson and Taylor. Why would you risk a Joe Burrow situation with our new QB?

I think scouts can sometimes become too enamored with a guy who is physically dominant but inconsistent.  They see a guy do something once and think they can coach him up to do it every time.  And maybe that makes more sense for a position like WR where just one big play a game is worth it even if it's a so-so performance the rest of the time.  But for offensive lineman, I'd much rather have a guy that consistently gets in the way of the defender than the guy who pancakes someone one play and totally whiffs the next.  

Now arguing the other side, a guy like Eichenberg may be extremely consistent but physically limited (I dont know that he is, just a hypothetical).  And he can get away with that in college, but once in the pro's he will start to get beat more often and there is nothing he can do technically to stop it because of his physical limitations.  So you are stuck because you've got a guy with maxed out potential and no way to improve.  But the draft is all about probability and I think I'd rather take a chance on a guy like that than take a chance on a guy that can be physically dominant but hasn't shown he can be consistent against college pass rushers.  

The other thing I'd love to see in an offensive lineman is a guy who is mean, dirty, plays hard, and finishes to the whistle.  Every single time, give me a physically limited but technically consistent guy who is an [BLEEP] over a physically dominant guy that isnt consistent and doesnt have the attitude.

(12-29-2020, 03:45 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(12-29-2020, 02:58 PM)JaG4LyFe Wrote: Outside of Sewell, those guys you listed are pedestrian at best. There's no LT tree we're going to pluck from in the draft. I'd rather franchise Robinson than draft one of those players

Brady Christensen is rated higher than all the above

(12-30-2020, 03:57 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(12-29-2020, 03:45 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Pedestrian? Neither Darrisaw or Eichenberg have allowed a sack this season. In fact, Eichenberg hasn't allowed a sack since September of 2018. Darrisaw has allowed no sacks this year and just 5 hurries during that time. Granted Radunz opted out of a completely meaningless one game season this year, but he dominated the FCS in 2019 and also didn't allow a sack in his last season of play. We need to protect Lawrence at all cost. These guys are more than qualified, but instead, you'd rather keep Robinson? Are you insane? Robinson sucks in pass protection. I'd rather sit Lawrence for a year than subject him to playing behind Robinson and Taylor. Why would you risk a Joe Burrow situation with our new QB?
Brady Christensen is rated higher than all the above

Watch the BYU/ Coastal Carolina game. He was getting whipped!

(12-30-2020, 04:10 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(12-30-2020, 03:57 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Brady Christensen is rated higher than all the above

Watch the BYU/ Coastal Carolina game. He was getting whipped!

I did watch that game

(12-30-2020, 04:10 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(12-30-2020, 04:10 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Watch the BYU/ Coastal Carolina game. He was getting whipped!

I did watch that game

Did you see where the defenders were running passed him like he was a cardboard cutout? I did.

Trask =bust

We all agree we need a LT. If there isn't one there... I'm really wondering is there a MLB worth taking there? Like a difference maker. I know Devin White's don't grow on trees, but my god the impact he has on the defense is INSANE! That's the difference maker this defense needs more than anything IMO. We need a MLB who is a legit difference maker. Any available come 25?

(02-05-2021, 12:41 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: We all agree we need a LT. If there isn't one there... I'm really wondering is there a MLB worth taking there? Like a difference maker. I know Devin White's don't grow on trees, but my god the impact he has on the defense is INSANE! That's the difference maker this defense needs more than anything IMO. We need a MLB who is a legit difference maker. Any available come 25?

No. This is a particularly down year for the ILB position in this draft. If you're looking for a franchise type ILB, this is not the year to take one. That's not to say there isn't any ILB's that will be good, there will. It's just that selecting any of them, whether it be first round or 7th round is a complete roll of the dice.

If we do make the 3-4 switch both of our ILB will be making over 10M a year, we can check that off the wish list.