Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Tony B a HOF once finalist again

(01-06-2021, 07:41 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: I’ve heard other players and pundits comment on Boselli and they all say the same thing; he just doesn’t have the body of work to support an entry. No one denies his abilities, he simply didn’t play long enough.

I've heard that as well and yet Terrell Davis is in so go figure.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 01-14-2021, 02:21 PM by JagFanatic24.)

The President of the Hall of Fame said if a player makes it as a finalist twice then that player has a 82% chance of making it to the hall of fame. This will be the 5th year in a row that Boselli has made it as a finalist.

He may not make it this year or next, but eventually he will make it. He has an 82% chance.

This year he goes up against Jared Allen, Sam Mills, Leroy Butler,
Alan Faneca, Torry Holt, Calvin Johnson, John Lynch, Peyton Manning, Clay Matthews, Ronde Barber, Charles Woodson, Richard Seymour, Zach Thomas, Reggie Wayne

They will pick 5 from that group. For some reason I think it will either be Faneca or Boselli

Peyton Manning and Charles Woodson are the only sure fire picks. I hope Tony finally makes it. He made it in the college football hall of fame back in 2014 now it’s time for him to make it in the pro football hall for 2021

It’s going to come down to Faneca or Boselli. Here’s to Tony getting his bust!

Rhonde Barber? Rhonde Barber? Are they serious?
Signature goes here.

(01-06-2021, 07:51 PM)hb1148 Wrote:
(01-06-2021, 07:41 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: I’ve heard other players and pundits comment on Boselli and they all say the same thing; he just doesn’t have the body of work to support an entry. No one denies his abilities, he simply didn’t play long enough.

To be fair, Terrell Davis did have 2 superbowl rings including a Superbowl MVP award.
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

I think the only locks this year are Manning and Woodson !

They might hold out on Calvin Johnson for a year or two because of his early retirement ! He will get in though at some point !

The last 3 spots are between Tony, Johnson, Faneca, Holt, Seymour, and Wayne, I think !

I agree there are only 2 guarantees Manning and Woodson. I think guys like Wayne, Seymour, Barber, Johnson, and Holt will wait a year or 2.

(This post was last modified: 01-19-2021, 09:50 AM by Mikey.)

(01-14-2021, 04:36 PM)TheBigDawg Wrote: Rhonde Barber? Rhonde Barber? Are they serious?

Hall of Recognizable.

(01-19-2021, 03:42 AM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: I agree there are only 2 guarantees Manning and Woodson. I think guys like Wayne, Seymour, Barber, Johnson,  and Holt will wait a year or 2.

Megatron and Seymour are the only ones you listed that SHOULD be in. Hall of the Very Good is over at PFRA (h/t Vic).

This guy is a HOF voter and based on some of his replies clearly likes Faneca more.

https://twitter.com/GaryMyersNY/status/1...12038?s=19

(01-18-2021, 05:41 PM)BushCheney2000 Wrote: I think the only locks this year are Manning and Woodson !

They might hold out on Calvin Johnson for a year or two because of his early retirement ! He will get in though at some point !

The last 3 spots are between Tony, Johnson, Faneca, Holt, Seymour, and Wayne, I think !
If Johnson doesn't get in, it will be criminal. He is one of the best WRs ever.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(01-19-2021, 10:24 AM)Dimson Wrote:
(01-18-2021, 05:41 PM)BushCheney2000 Wrote: I think the only locks this year are Manning and Woodson !

If Johnson doesn't get in, it will be criminal. He is one of the best WRs ever.

And yet Boselli was a better LT than Megatron was a WR.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

https://twitter.com/BenVolin/status/1351553999821017088

I have no idea how they expect to do this, but okay.

(01-19-2021, 10:27 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(01-19-2021, 10:24 AM)Dimson Wrote: If Johnson doesn't get in, it will be criminal. He is one of the best WRs ever.

And yet Boselli was a better LT than Megatron was a WR.

Regency bias. Johnson was a very good WR, but aside from TDs, his stats are not even above Jimmy Smith’s. And he can’t even rely on a Super Bowl win like Terrell Davis. 

I think people just don’t remember how badly Boselli dominated people—many HOFs included.

(01-19-2021, 12:24 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote:
(01-19-2021, 10:27 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: And yet Boselli was a better LT than Megatron was a WR.

Regency bias. Johnson was a very good WR, but aside from TDs, his stats are not even above Jimmy Smith’s. And he can’t even rely on a Super Bowl win like Terrell Davis. 

I think people just don’t remember how badly Boselli dominated people—many HOFs included.

Oh I remember. But there is a big of notoriety when it comes to the hall of fame. Megatron has plenty of notoriety.

(01-06-2021, 07:11 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: Just to speak of how talented Tony Boselli was,

Bruce Smith is the all time Sacks leader in the NFL.   I watched Tony Boselli flat out dominate him in the playoffs. Tony was One or one and was just manhandling Brue Smith one on one.  Johnathan Ogden and Ornlado Pace were the big names at Tackle in those days. TONY Boselli would be in the hall of fame already if he did what he did in Dallas.

Tony is mean and nasty and you want him on your team. The amazing thing to watch was how at times he would control Bruce Smith with one hand. Not saying he only used one hand the entire time. But just to watch this beast of a man use a hand/arm to throw aside Bruce Smith boggles your mind. Over the years, yes he would be across from defenders that he literally used one arm to back them down the field. Can you imagine being down field and looking up to see this guy coming at you, hahahaha, run baby run.

(01-06-2021, 07:51 PM)hb1148 Wrote:

So is mediocre Curtis Martin

When I hear the longevity argument I offer you Dwight Stephenson.
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

(01-19-2021, 03:25 PM)copycat Wrote: When I hear the longevity argument I offer you Dwight Stephenson.

Gayle Sayers.

(01-19-2021, 12:24 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote:
(01-19-2021, 10:27 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: And yet Boselli was a better LT than Megatron was a WR.

This is lunacy. absolute LUNACY

Calvin Johnson has the record for most receiving yards in a single season, and record for 2nd most yards in a game (7 yards from 1st; Thanksgiving against the Cowboys after Jerry Jones insinuated Dez Bryant was as good or better than CJ), record for most consecutive 100 yard receiving games. Calvin Johnson is arguably the best Wide Receiver of all time. He did this with Matt Stafford at QB on some absolutely talentless lions teams. The list of players who average more receiving yards than CJ: Julio Jones ... End of list. Whoever tried to compare his numbers to Jimmy Smith doesn't understand that Calvin had like 1k less yards in several less years and still had more TD's and evisecerated JSmooth on a per game basis. I think people just don't understand how DOMINANT Calvin was, there was not a CB in the nfl he couldn't get a catch over. Stafford was famously quoted as saying "It took me till the middle of my 3rd year to figure out that just because Calvin is double or triple covered doesn't mean he's not open"

I love Boselli, but to just flat out say he's a better OT than CJ was a WR is absolute insanity. Boselli was as good as they come and deserves to be in the hall. But Calvin Johnson is a first ballot HoF player imho, and is essentially Barry Sanders 2.0 at WR. Imagine if he played on a better team or with a competent QB?
Championship Formula:

1) Draft Trevor Lawrence!
2) Play good physical Defense! 
3) Keep 91% of the roster healthy!
4) ???
5) Blank #2
6) CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

(01-19-2021, 06:39 PM)Firesky Wrote:
(01-19-2021, 12:24 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote: Regency bias. Johnson was a very good WR, but aside from TDs, his stats are not even above Jimmy Smith’s. And he can’t even rely on a Super Bowl win like Terrell Davis. 

This is lunacy. absolute LUNACY

Calvin Johnson has the record for most receiving yards in a single season, and record for 2nd most yards in a game (7 yards from 1st; Thanksgiving against the Cowboys after Jerry Jones insinuated Dez Bryant was as good or better than CJ), record for most consecutive 100 yard receiving games. Calvin Johnson is arguably the best Wide Receiver of all time. He did this with Matt Stafford at QB on some absolutely talentless lions teams. The list of players who average more receiving yards than CJ: Julio Jones ... End of list. Whoever tried to compare his numbers to Jimmy Smith doesn't understand that Calvin had like 1k less yards in several less years and still had more TD's and evisecerated JSmooth on a per game basis. I think people just don't understand how DOMINANT Calvin was, there was not a CB in the nfl he couldn't get a catch over. Stafford was famously quoted as saying "It took me till the middle of my 3rd year to figure out that just because Calvin is double or triple covered doesn't mean he's not open"

I love Boselli, but to just flat out say he's a better OT than CJ was a WR is absolute insanity. Boselli was as good as they come and deserves to be in the hall. But Calvin Johnson is a first ballot HoF player imho, and is essentially Barry Sanders 2.0 at WR. Imagine if he played on a better team or with a competent QB?

What's lunacy is calling Calvin Johnson the best WR of all time.

Regardless, you missed my point. I'm not making an argument for Jimmy Smith > Calvin Johnson. Although, I'm not sure I'd use a tied record as proof he's the best of all time since Thielen shares that record with him, and Matt Stafford is a good QB, so I'm not sure he's been disadvantaged by playing with him. Averaging a lot of yards-per-game in today's pass oriented league isn't as impressive to me since it's so much easier to do now than it was before. Otherwise, Odel Beckham Jr. is better than Jerry Rice, Marvin Harrison, and Terrell Owens. Anyway, I his stats weren't better than Jimmy Smith to show how far away he is from the best receivers. He's 32nd all time. I'm fine making him a HOFer but he's not a 1st ballot HOFer.

I believe Boselli is top-3 OTs of all time, but I don't think he's a 1st ballot since he didn't play long enough--the same reason Johnson shouldn't be a 1st ballot.

Jimmy Smith was great, definitely a borderline hall of famer. He's not in the same tier as Megatron, sorry.