Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Tony B a HOF once finalist again

Calvin Johnson isn't in the conversation for best of all time. He's not better than:

Jerry Rice
Randy Moss
Terrell Owens

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(01-20-2021, 11:13 AM)Upper Wrote: Jimmy Smith was great, definitely a borderline hall of famer. He's not in the same tier as Megatron, sorry.

No one is saying he is

(01-20-2021, 11:13 AM)Upper Wrote: Jimmy Smith was great, definitely a borderline hall of famer. He's not in the same tier as Megatron, sorry.

At the same time Boselli absolutely is in the same tier as Anthony Munoz.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

I’m being a homer. I think Smith is better than Johnson. They played in 2 different eras.

Smith retired as 9th all time. And these talking heads never bring up that he didn’t start playing full time until the age 26 in which he came back from a broken leg. He was also suspended one of the years he didn’t get to 1,000 yards. Smith basically gave all the great WRs a 3 year head start.

And between 1996 to 1998 no WR had a better 3 year span than Smith. Not even Jerry Rice or Randy or Terrell. At that time Smith was the best WR in football, number wise.

Don’t get me started

He likely would have played in 2006 if things were different. But the off field stuff hurt him. I’m glad we didn’t have social media back then.

(01-19-2021, 09:14 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote:
(01-19-2021, 06:39 PM)Firesky Wrote: This is lunacy. absolute LUNACY

Calvin Johnson has the record for most receiving yards in a single season, and record for 2nd most yards in a game (7 yards from 1st; Thanksgiving against the Cowboys after Jerry Jones insinuated Dez Bryant was as good or better than CJ), record for most consecutive 100 yard receiving games. Calvin Johnson is arguably the best Wide Receiver of all time. He did this with Matt Stafford at QB on some absolutely talentless lions teams. The list of players who average more receiving yards than CJ: Julio Jones ... End of list. Whoever tried to compare his numbers to Jimmy Smith doesn't understand that Calvin had like 1k less yards in several less years and still had more TD's and evisecerated JSmooth on a per game basis. I think people just don't understand how DOMINANT Calvin was, there was not a CB in the nfl he couldn't get a catch over. Stafford was famously quoted as saying "It took me till the middle of my 3rd year to figure out that just because Calvin is double or triple covered doesn't mean he's not open"

I love Boselli, but to just flat out say he's a better OT than CJ was a WR is absolute insanity. Boselli was as good as they come and deserves to be in the hall. But Calvin Johnson is a first ballot HoF player imho, and is essentially Barry Sanders 2.0 at WR. Imagine if he played on a better team or with a competent QB?

What's lunacy is calling Calvin Johnson the best WR of all time.

Regardless, you missed my point. I'm not making an argument for Jimmy Smith > Calvin Johnson. Although, I'm not sure I'd use a tied record as proof he's the best of all time since Thielen shares that record with him, and Matt Stafford is a good QB, so I'm not sure he's been disadvantaged by playing with him. Averaging a lot of yards-per-game in today's pass oriented league isn't as impressive to me since it's so much easier to do now than it was before. Otherwise, Odel Beckham Jr. is better than Jerry Rice, Marvin Harrison, and Terrell Owens. Anyway, I his stats weren't better than Jimmy Smith to show how far away he is from the best receivers. He's 32nd all time. I'm fine making him a HOFer but he's not a 1st ballot HOFer.

I believe Boselli is top-3 OTs of all time, but I don't think he's a 1st ballot since he didn't play long enough--the same reason Johnson shouldn't be a 1st ballot.

There's an argument for it, the man was 6'5" 235 lbs, ran a 4.34, had enormous hops and caught everything. Much like Barry Sanders (who also has a claim for best RB of all time) his career was wasted in Detroit. 

Tied or not, he still holds it and 100 yards per game half a season in a row is damn impressive, but do you know what's not tied? His record for Most receiving yards in a season, and he is #2 in single game receiving production. Odell Beckham Jr. has never had near the highs Calvin had, his best receiving season he finished 500 yards short of Calvin's best; Calvin should impress you in any era. What has Stafford done since he retired?

If T.O. wasn't a 1st ballot I can see making Calvin Johnson wait a year, the amount of WR's up for consideration is absurd so I could see him having to wait. I wouldn't keep him off my ballot though.
Championship Formula:

1) Draft Trevor Lawrence!
2) Play good physical Defense! 
3) Keep 91% of the roster healthy!
4) ???
5) Blank #2
6) CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

Any Twitter leaks yet?
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

I heard Sam Kovaris gave an awful speech about Tony Boselli getting in and he isn’t getting in this year.

We need someone else beside Old Sam.

(01-19-2021, 10:24 AM)Dimson Wrote:
(01-18-2021, 05:41 PM)BushCheney2000 Wrote: I think the only locks this year are Manning and Woodson !

They might hold out on Calvin Johnson for a year or two because of his early retirement ! He will get in though at some point !

The last 3 spots are between Tony, Johnson, Faneca, Holt, Seymour, and Wayne, I think !
If Johnson doesn't get in, it will be criminal. He is one of the best WRs ever.

I agree completely. That's an easy one.

(01-21-2021, 12:36 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: I heard Sam Kovaris gave an awful speech about Tony Boselli getting in and he isn’t getting in this year.

Sam still alive?

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

(01-21-2021, 01:29 PM)WingerDinger Wrote:
(01-21-2021, 12:36 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: I heard Sam Kovaris gave an awful speech about Tony Boselli getting in and he isn’t getting in this year.

Sam still alive?

Dude is just going through the motions. It’s crazy that someone like him has a vote for the best pro football players of all time.

I think next year will be his year if... The jaguars are relevant in 2021
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

It will be his 6th year in a row. All we can hope for at this point is that Faneca gets in.

(This post was last modified: 01-21-2021, 10:49 PM by jaguarmvp.)

[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

Hey guys I’m not sure if I read this correctly but it sounds like anyone can vote for the Hall of Fame inductees. I voted for Boselli, Manning, and Woodson as step 1, and step 2 just has you fill out your name and email address and then submit your vote.

I went to profootballhof.com and voted and it let me vote. Head over and vote for Boselli, it took me like 3 minutes.

I just read where it seems like Boselli is getting a lot of buzz to be voted in this year. The same article said Jared Allen will have to wait a year or 2. Also mentioned Clay Matthews will be voted in as a senior finalist next year.

All good signs for the big guy. Get him in the hof.

(This post was last modified: 02-06-2021, 06:34 AM by The Real Marty.)

(01-06-2021, 12:25 AM)jaguarmvp Wrote:
(01-05-2021, 08:42 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: They have to get him in this year. He was the best of his era.

One achille's heel, he played for the Jaguars.

Two achilles' heels.  He played for the Jags, and Sam Kouvaris did the presentation.  This year it was on Zoom, and I saw it, and it was horrible.  No effort at all.   They really need someone else to do the presentation.   Because based on the presentation, one would think Sam Kouvaris doesn't care if he gets in or not.  It was the most casual, uninspiring, low energy presentation you could imagine.

You heard correctly.  I saw part of the "speech" if you want to call it that, and it was the most listless thing I've ever seen.  I would bet half the voters went to the bathroom when Sam came on.

(01-19-2021, 04:42 PM)Dimson Wrote:
(01-19-2021, 03:25 PM)copycat Wrote: When I hear the longevity argument I offer you Dwight Stephenson.

Gayle Sayers.

Terrell Davis

(02-06-2021, 06:36 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(01-19-2021, 04:42 PM)Dimson Wrote: Gayle Sayers.

Terrell Davis

Easley

FANECA
Super Bowl champion (XL)
9× Pro Bowl (2001–2009)
6× First-team All-Pro (2001, 2002, 2004–2007)
2× Second-team All-Pro (2003, 2008)
Pittsburgh Steelers All-Time Team
NFL 2000s All-Decade Team

BOSELLI
5× Pro Bowl (1996–2000)
3× First-team All-Pro (1997–1999)
NFL Alumni Offensive Lineman of the Year (1998)
NFL 1990s All-Decade Team
Pride of the Jaguars

(01-20-2021, 11:16 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: Calvin Johnson isn't in the conversation for best of all time. He's not better than:

Jerry Rice
Randy Moss
Terrell Owens

I would absolutely take Calvin Johnson over all 3 of them for a season. I understand not putting him in the top 3 due to career length but he's got better hands than any of them.