Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
How Vulnerable is the Division in 2021?

(02-06-2021, 09:35 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(02-05-2021, 05:06 PM)D6 Wrote: I saw a report a few minutes ago that the Bears made a better than expected offer for Carson Wentz.  If this report proves to be the case, it likely will lessen the heat that will be coming for the chain of events with the Eagles that you mentioned.  

[font=Times New Roman]https://twitter.com/BRobNFL/status/1357764256398270466?s=20

[/font]

https://twitter.com/BRobNFL/status/1357764256398270466

Last March ( before the affects of COVID-19 on the NFL ), Trent Williams was reportedly seeking at least $20 million a year.  With the Jaguars and Colts having great salary cap situations, Williams could easily end up being a big financial winner if he hits the open market. 

Redskins' Trent Williams seeking $20M per year on contract with new team, per report - CBSSports.com

To me, even assuming they get premium price for Wentz, there is still the issue of firing a Super Bowl winning coach.  If Pederson and the front office disagreed over whether Wentz is still a starting QB for the team, and you end up trading Wentz (ultimately agreeing with Pederson), then why not defer to the coach, move on from Wentz and keep Pederson?!?

Then there's also the issue of where the Colts go from here, if we assume the reports of the Bears winning a bidding war form Wentz' services is true.  Irsay himself has debunked the rumors of Luck coming out of retirement.  What do the Colts do at QB if all of this is true?  There is talk of the 49ers and Vikings swapping QBs.  The Packers have been adamant they have no intent to trade Aaron Rodgers.  Big Ben's situation in Pittsburgh is questionable due to his age and their salary cap situation.  https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/agent...s-or-goes/
In a year where the salary cap may decrease due to reduced revenues, it's questionable whether the Steelers can keep him, and it's questionable what trade market there will be for a 39 year old QB with so big of a contract.  Watson?  It's doubtful the Colts could muster the draft capital to pull off a trade, and that's assuming the Texans would be willing to trade Watson within the division.

It seems likely that Jeff Lurie and Howie Roseman are on the verge of going 180 degrees on whether to trade Carson Wentz because the trade compensation would be much higher than they anticipated a month ago.  

Even if the Colts could acquire Ben Roethlisberger at a favorable trade price from the Steelers,  I have serious doubts 'Big Ben' at this stage of his great NFL playing career will be able to lead the Colts deep in the playoffs.  

There are two QB possibilities that come to mind for the Colts. They differ greatly:

A safer option is trading for Panthers QB Teddy Bridgewater. 

A more daring option with greater upside but greater risk is the Colts trading for Jets QB Sam Darnold. 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Wentz to Indy doesn't bother me because I don't think Wentz is very good. He isn't even as good as Rivers was last year. I would have been much more upset if they had landed Stafford.

While signing washed up free agent quarterbacks may field a competitive team, it isn't a long term recipe for success for a franchise. At some point, the Clots will have to suck enough again to nap themselves another franchise QB in the draft.

(02-07-2021, 05:39 PM)D6 Wrote:
(02-06-2021, 09:35 AM)Bullseye Wrote: To me, even assuming they get premium price for Wentz, there is still the issue of firing a Super Bowl winning coach.  If Pederson and the front office disagreed over whether Wentz is still a starting QB for the team, and you end up trading Wentz (ultimately agreeing with Pederson), then why not defer to the coach, move on from Wentz and keep Pederson?!?

Then there's also the issue of where the Colts go from here, if we assume the reports of the Bears winning a bidding war form Wentz' services is true.  Irsay himself has debunked the rumors of Luck coming out of retirement.  What do the Colts do at QB if all of this is true?  There is talk of the 49ers and Vikings swapping QBs.  The Packers have been adamant they have no intent to trade Aaron Rodgers.  Big Ben's situation in Pittsburgh is questionable due to his age and their salary cap situation.  https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/agent...s-or-goes/
In a year where the salary cap may decrease due to reduced revenues, it's questionable whether the Steelers can keep him, and it's questionable what trade market there will be for a 39 year old QB with so big of a contract.  Watson?  It's doubtful the Colts could muster the draft capital to pull off a trade, and that's assuming the Texans would be willing to trade Watson within the division.

It seems likely that Jeff Lurie and Howie Roseman are on the verge of going 180 degrees on whether to trade Carson Wentz because the trade compensation would be much higher than they anticipated a month ago.  

Even if the Colts could acquire Ben Roethlisberger at a favorable trade price from the Steelers,  I have serious doubts 'Big Ben' at this stage of his great NFL playing career will be able to lead the Colts deep in the playoffs.  

There are two QB possibilities that come to mind for the Colts. They differ greatly:

A more daring option with greater upside but greater risk is the Colts trading for Jets QB Sam Darnold. 

From Peter King's article in PFT this morning...

Quote:2. Carson Wentz. The Eagles are on the verge of trading him, per Adam Schefter and Chris Mortensen. After Wentz’s landing spot (Indianapolis and Chicago are the most likely trade partners), the biggest issue to me is compensation. I asked one smart football person in the league the other day what logical compensation would be. “I don’t know what ‘logical’ means anymore,” this person said. “What kind of logical was the Stafford-Goff trade?” Last week, of course, the Rams traded Jared Goff plus a 2021 third-round pick and first-round picks in 2022 and ’23 for Matthew Stafford, who turns 33 this offseason and has never won a division title nor a playoff game in 12 years with the Lions.

The problem with divining proper trade value, of course, is figuring out what Wentz is right now. He played poorly in 2020 in Philadelphia, did not respond well to coaching, had a mental divorce with coach Doug Pederson, and will need both his head and arm fixed with a new team. Let’s say Chicago and Indianapolis are the top candidates. We know the Colts are interested; former Wentz offensive coordinator Frank Reich is the head coach. The Bears have 2017 Wentz-golden-year QB coach John DeFilippo as their quarterback coach. Chicago has the 20th pick in the first round, Indianapolis the 21st. My guess, and that’s all it is, is that the Bears would be more interested in trading the 20th pick plus something for Wentz than the Colts would in trading the 21st pick plus something for him. Why? The Bears are the more desperate team in 2021; coach Matt Nagy and GM Ryan Pace know their jobs are on the line, while Reich and GM Chris Ballard are solid as rocks in Indianapolis. I think Chicago would pay more in present value than Indy.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(02-08-2021, 09:37 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Wentz to Indy doesn't bother me because I don't think Wentz is very good. He isn't even as good as Rivers was last year. I would have been much more upset if they had landed Stafford.

While signing washed up free agent quarterbacks may field a competitive team, it isn't a long term recipe for success for a franchise. At some point, the Clots will have to suck enough again to nap themselves another franchise QB in the draft.

Assuming good health, with the right coaching and surrounding talent, he could be very good, as evidenced by his 2017 year.  Had he not been injured, he may have been in the running for league MVP.

In indy, he could get the good coaching and surrounding cast.

I don't know how healthy he is, and right now I don't know where his head is at.

To me, those odds are too good for a rebound for Wentz and a long term QB solution for the Colts if they get Wentz.

(02-08-2021, 10:32 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(02-07-2021, 05:39 PM)D6 Wrote: It seems likely that Jeff Lurie and Howie Roseman are on the verge of going 180 degrees on whether to trade Carson Wentz because the trade compensation would be much higher than they anticipated a month ago.  

From Peter King's article in PFT this morning...

Quote:2. Carson Wentz. The Eagles are on the verge of trading him, per Adam Schefter and Chris Mortensen. After Wentz’s landing spot (Indianapolis and Chicago are the most likely trade partners), the biggest issue to me is compensation. I asked one smart football person in the league the other day what logical compensation would be. “I don’t know what ‘logical’ means anymore,” this person said. “What kind of logical was the Stafford-Goff trade?” Last week, of course, the Rams traded Jared Goff plus a 2021 third-round pick and first-round picks in 2022 and ’23 for Matthew Stafford, who turns 33 this offseason and has never won a division title nor a playoff game in 12 years with the Lions.

The problem with divining proper trade value, of course, is figuring out what Wentz is right now. He played poorly in 2020 in Philadelphia, did not respond well to coaching, had a mental divorce with coach Doug Pederson, and will need both his head and arm fixed with a new team. Let’s say Chicago and Indianapolis are the top candidates. We know the Colts are interested; former Wentz offensive coordinator Frank Reich is the head coach. The Bears have 2017 Wentz-golden-year QB coach John DeFilippo as their quarterback coach. Chicago has the 20th pick in the first round, Indianapolis the 21st. My guess, and that’s all it is, is that the Bears would be more interested in trading the 20th pick plus something for Wentz than the Colts would in trading the 21st pick plus something for him. Why? The Bears are the more desperate team in 2021; coach Matt Nagy and GM Ryan Pace know their jobs are on the line, while Reich and GM Chris Ballard are solid as rocks in Indianapolis. I think Chicago would pay more in present value than Indy.

Thanks for sharing Peter King's info and analysis. Good insight by King.  

What Peter King expressed was reflective in the type of offers the Bears and Colts reportedly gave the Lions for Matthew Stafford.  The Bears were a long shot to land Stafford because they are a divisional opponent of the Lions. But they made a serious attempt to acquire Stafford.  The Colts were the team I thought going into the trade negotiations period were the favorite to acquire Stafford.  But they reportedly had a far less competitive offer than at least the LA Rams, Panthers, WFT, and the Bears did. 

(02-08-2021, 10:40 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(02-08-2021, 09:37 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Wentz to Indy doesn't bother me because I don't think Wentz is very good. He isn't even as good as Rivers was last year. I would have been much more upset if they had landed Stafford.

Assuming good health, with the right coaching and surrounding talent, he could be very good, as evidenced by his 2017 year.  Had he not been injured, he may have been in the running for league MVP.

I don't know how healthy he is, and right now I don't know where his head is at.

To me, those odds are too good for a rebound for Wentz and a long term QB solution for the Colts if they get Wentz.

I see Wentz as a direct reflection of Kaep. Shined early, got figured out, looked below average. Add injury to the mix, I don't like his outlook. I hope Indy does trade for him though.

(02-08-2021, 02:43 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(02-08-2021, 10:40 AM)Bullseye Wrote: Assuming good health, with the right coaching and surrounding talent, he could be very good, as evidenced by his 2017 year.  Had he not been injured, he may have been in the running for league MVP.

I see Wentz as a direct reflection of Kaep. Shined early, got figured out, looked below average. Add injury to the mix, I don't like his outlook. I hope Indy does trade for him though.

I don't think him getting figured out has anything to do with it at all.  That guy had/has a serious case of the Gabberts.  He was so gun-shy last year it was incredible.  He started hearing footsteps when there were none there.

What I've been seeing the last few days is Wentz going to Chicago.  If Wentz doesn't get his [BLEEP] together, is that really a big upgrade from Trubisky?  And they'd have to trade for him no less.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(02-08-2021, 02:59 PM)RicoTx Wrote:
(02-08-2021, 02:43 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: I see Wentz as a direct reflection of Kaep. Shined early, got figured out, looked below average. Add injury to the mix, I don't like his outlook. I hope Indy does trade for him though.

I don't think him getting figured out has anything to do with it at all.  That guy had/has a serious case of the Gabberts.  He was so gun-shy last year it was incredible.  He started hearing footsteps when there were none there.

What I've been seeing the last few days is Wentz going to Chicago.  If Wentz doesn't get his [BLEEP] together, is that really a big upgrade from Trubisky?  And they'd have to trade for him no less.

Vic Ketchman says the same thing about Wentz. He’s gone rabbit.

(This post was last modified: 02-08-2021, 10:05 PM by Bullseye.)

(02-08-2021, 02:43 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(02-08-2021, 10:40 AM)Bullseye Wrote: Assuming good health, with the right coaching and surrounding talent, he could be very good, as evidenced by his 2017 year.  Had he not been injured, he may have been in the running for league MVP.

But his injury happened late in 2017-when he was a league MVP candidate.  Nobody had figured him out yet.

Now when he came back from the injury, there was enough going wrong with him and around him to certainly argue he lost his effectiveness as a player.

But at this stage, I'm not prepared to say he is finished or that whatever damage he suffered to his knee or his psyche is irreparable.

I think Reich is a good enough coach and knows Wentz and the position well enough, and has enough young viable talent to put around him to resurrect Wentz' career.

(02-08-2021, 02:43 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: I see Wentz as a direct reflection of Kaep. Shined early, got figured out, looked below average. Add injury to the mix, I don't like his outlook. I hope Indy does trade for him though.

Maybe.

But the Colts have enough going for them to fix Wentz, if Wentz is fixable.  If they fix him, they have stabilized the position for years.  They are the last team to deserve that.

This appears to be very similar to what happened with former Texans QB David Carr.  

(02-08-2021, 10:15 PM)D6 Wrote:
(02-08-2021, 02:59 PM)RicoTx Wrote: I don't think him getting figured out has anything to do with it at all.  That guy had/has a serious case of the Gabberts.  He was so gun-shy last year it was incredible.  He started hearing footsteps when there were none there.

This appears to be very similar to what happened with former Texans QB David Carr.  

Time will tell. Word on the street is Philly doesn't feel they have been offered fair compensation for Wentz. Let's see who sweetens the pot the best.

(02-09-2021, 09:12 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(02-08-2021, 10:15 PM)D6 Wrote: This appears to be very similar to what happened with former Texans QB David Carr.  

Time will tell. Word on the street is Philly doesn't feel they have been offered fair compensation for Wentz. Let's see who sweetens the pot the best.

Because Bears GM Ryan Pace and HC Matt Navy are on the hot seat,  I think they are more likely to satisfy the Eagles brass' trade compensation demands than the Colts are. 

With former Jags WR Allen Robinson likely heading elsewhere as an UFA, Carson Wentz or whoever the Bears starting QB will be in the 2021 season, could well be entering an uphill situation already.  This is even with the Bears Defense having multiple differential players.   

As you expressed, time will tell what transpires with Carson Wentz on the field, moving forward. Yet, the Colts look better equipped to aid Wentz in getting his NFL playing career back on track than the Bears do.  

(This post was last modified: 02-10-2021, 07:09 PM by Djb2882.)

It’s early and what each team does in FA & the draft remain to be seen, but I could see the division playing out how the NFC East went this past season- possibly a team with a record under .500 getting a playoff game...So I’m saying there’s a chance! Woohoo!

Just saw that JJ Watt announced he's leaving the Texans. That franchise is having a historic meltdown.

(This post was last modified: 02-12-2021, 01:17 PM by Kane.)

(02-12-2021, 11:06 AM)JagFanFirst Wrote: Just saw that JJ Watt announced he's leaving the Texans. That franchise is having a historic meltdown.

All that's left is to trade away the QB that they say they aren't interested in trading away. (Hopefully to an NFC team)

And then we can hope they blow their draft picks
If only it were happening to the tacks instead

(02-07-2021, 05:39 PM)D6 Wrote:
(02-06-2021, 09:35 AM)Bullseye Wrote: To me, even assuming they get premium price for Wentz, there is still the issue of firing a Super Bowl winning coach.  If Pederson and the front office disagreed over whether Wentz is still a starting QB for the team, and you end up trading Wentz (ultimately agreeing with Pederson), then why not defer to the coach, move on from Wentz and keep Pederson?!?

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...son-wentz/

According to this, they have yet to receive a 1st round pick for him.

(02-13-2021, 06:38 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(02-07-2021, 05:39 PM)D6 Wrote: It seems likely that Jeff Lurie and Howie Roseman are on the verge of going 180 degrees on whether to trade Carson Wentz because the trade compensation would be much higher than they anticipated a month ago.  

Why would a team offer a first round pick for a bad QB with a terrible contact?

(02-13-2021, 06:38 PM)Bullseye Wrote:

This article probably helps explains why the Eagles haven't yet completed a trade with Carson Wentz.

It's looking like what I previously wrote should have been more along the lines that Jeff Lurie and Howie Roseman miscalculated the market for Carson Wentz. 

Playing high stakes poker against Colts GM Chris Ballard is not going to turn out well for the Eagles, if the market for Carson Wentz is indeed not close to what Lurie and Roseman expected it to be.

(02-13-2021, 10:15 PM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(02-13-2021, 06:38 PM)Bullseye Wrote: https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...son-wentz/

Why would a team offer a first round pick for a bad QB with a terrible contact?

This is yet another reason why I say the Eagles have botched this part of the offseason/post season.

I think TN just became dominant with the Jones trade.
You know you're dealing with a belief system when you get an emotional response.