Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Tiger

(02-24-2021, 11:11 AM)RicoTx Wrote: Maybe he likes drving.

I'm sure he does, but when you're out of town on business, there's a sense of security when you leave the driving to a local. When I go out of town on business I never drive.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 02-24-2021, 11:26 AM by homebiscuit.)

(02-24-2021, 11:01 AM)NewJagsCity Wrote:
(02-24-2021, 10:41 AM)Tank Commander Wrote: I think driving is hard to give up because it's the one time a celebrity can be alone without being bothered unless the paparazi are chasing you.
But in general it gives them a sense of normalcy and anonymity (especially if they have tinted windows) that they wouldn't have anywhere else in public.

So I would find that hard to give up if I was a celebrity.

Normally I would agree, but he was not in his home area, and was renting a car. Those are two big unknowns right off the bat. If you can rent a car, then just rent a driver.  I've heard there are these companies called Uber and Lyft, maybe he's heard of them?

The car wasn't rented. It was a loaner from the Genesis Invitational tournament. 

Why can't you get it through your head that all wealthy people don't want to be driven around? It may be your fantasy, but in reality people like to have the latitude, control and pleasure of driving themselves.

(02-24-2021, 11:23 AM)NewJagsCity Wrote:

I'm sure he does, but when you're out of town on business, there's a sense of security when you leave the driving to a local. When I go out of town on business I never drive.

He is not unfamiliar with that area. He has played and worked there many times.

(02-24-2021, 11:24 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(02-24-2021, 11:01 AM)NewJagsCity Wrote: Normally I would agree, but he was not in his home area, and was renting a car. Those are two big unknowns right off the bat. If you can rent a car, then just rent a driver.  I've heard there are these companies called Uber and Lyft, maybe he's heard of them?

The car wasn't rented. It was a loaner from the Genesis Invitational tournament. 

Why can't you get it through your head that all wealthy people don't want to be driven around? It may be your fantasy, but in reality people like to have the latitude, control and pleasure of driving themselves.

(02-24-2021, 11:23 AM)NewJagsCity Wrote: I'm sure he does, but when you're out of town on business, there's a sense of security when you leave the driving to a local. When I go out of town on business I never drive.

Never said it was my fantasy; in fact, I would hate it. All I'm saying is that if I were a multi-billionaire, chasing Jack Nicklaus and Sam Snead's all-time records, I might be a little bit more careful about driving around with a loaner car in what some people would consider treacherous Terrain, even if I had been there before.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

(02-24-2021, 11:39 AM)NewJagsCity Wrote:
(02-24-2021, 11:24 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: The car wasn't rented. It was a loaner from the Genesis Invitational tournament. 

Never said it was my fantasy; in fact, I would hate it. All I'm saying is that if I were a multi-billionaire, chasing Jack Nicklaus and Sam Snead's all-time records, I might be a little bit more careful about driving around with a loaner car in what some people would consider treacherous Terrain, even if I had been there before.

He might even reconsider handling sharp objects, lifting heavy items, and walking over uneven ground. 

People don't live in bubbles according to your perception of their desires.

(This post was last modified: 02-24-2021, 12:05 PM by NewJagsCity.)

(02-24-2021, 11:48 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(02-24-2021, 11:39 AM)NewJagsCity Wrote: Never said it was my fantasy; in fact, I would hate it. All I'm saying is that if I were a multi-billionaire, chasing Jack Nicklaus and Sam Snead's all-time records, I might be a little bit more careful about driving around with a loaner car in what some people would consider treacherous Terrain, even if I had been there before.

He might even reconsider handling sharp objects, lifting heavy items, and walking over uneven ground. 

Wow, I can take no more. I bow to your relentless and airtight logic. I guess a local driver would probably have sped out of there and rolled it just like the Tige did. And Tiger certainly doesn't have any history of reckless behaviour in his past, so we can't blame that.

Not looking for a war of words here, I always enjoy your posts.

Btw, how's this whole thing working out for Tiger so far?

(02-24-2021, 12:03 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote:
(02-24-2021, 11:48 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: He might even reconsider handling sharp objects, lifting heavy items, and walking over uneven ground. 

Wow, I can take no more. I bow to your relentless and airtight logic.  I guess a local driver would probably have sped out of there and rolled it just like the Tige did.  And Tiger certainly doesn't have any history of reckless behaviour in his past, so we can't blame that.

Now the hindsight argument...  Rolleyes

Can you accept the fact that people like to be in control of their own actions and lives and do not live in a world of 'what if'?

(02-24-2021, 11:23 AM)NewJagsCity Wrote:

Really?  Because I rented a car every one of the infinite business trips that I went on.  

You do know that he is the host of this golf tournament as well.  Never mind the fact the has been on tour for damn close to 30 years, so I think it's much more likely that he is, indeed, familiar with the area.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(02-24-2021, 11:22 AM)Tank Commander Wrote:
(02-24-2021, 11:15 AM)NewJagsCity Wrote: Lol, yes. The MSSM, aka ESPN, is caught between a rock and a hard place here. They quite rightly slobber all over Tiger because he's the greatest golfer of the last 25 years, but at the same time he really doesn't fit their SJW narrative.  Tiger pretty much just does whatever the hell he wants to and befriends who he wants because he can, ie, befriend Trump, Justin Thomas, etc, who the rest of the cancel culture would just assumed dismiss.  And yet his foundation rolls on, most likely having a greater positive impact on african american kids lives than BLM ever will. Perhaps they should take a lesson from Tiger on how to really effect change in the world. Doing it his way, you won't have to verbally denounce the Fuzzy Zoellers of the world, society will do it for you because of the goodwill you already have banked.

Tiger is actually more Asian than anything.
He's Half Asian, Quarter White, 1/8th Native American and 1/8th Black.

In fact he looks more Thai than anything.

Here's your typical indigenous Thai person:
[Image: 6411809845_6dcb065539_b.jpg]

Yep, that's 100% how ever Thai person looks.

(02-24-2021, 12:31 PM)RicoTx Wrote:
(02-24-2021, 11:23 AM)NewJagsCity Wrote: I'm sure he does, but when you're out of town on business, there's a sense of security when you leave the driving to a local. When I go out of town on business I never drive.

Really?  Because I rented a car every one of the infinite business trips that I went on.  

You do know that he is the host of this golf tournament as well.  Never mind the fact the has been on tour for damn close to 30 years, so I think it's much more likely that he is, indeed, familiar with the area.

Same here. Even in other countries and once with (this will make NJC's head explode) traffic patterns on the opposite side of the road. I survived!

But even if just driving in an unfamiliar place here in the good ol' USA, maybe we shouldn't mention these things referred to as GPS which give turn by turn direction from one location to another. 

Technology - you crazy!

(02-24-2021, 06:33 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Multiple compound fractures of the right leg.  Skin broken, bone sticking out.  Metal rod inserted to stabilize and repair the bones.  

No sign of drugs or alcohol according to the police. 

I have a friend who had the same type of injury, and the problem he has today isn't the formerly broken bones, or the metal rods, it's his knee.   He can walk around normally, but his knee gives him all sorts of problems, and he can't walk real far without a lot of pain.

I'm just guessing, but I think this is the type of injury that could end Tiger's golf career for good.

Housemate in college had the same injury (compound lower leg fracture)

He was on a motorcycle, and a dude pulled out of a blind driveway right in his path. Just started to drizzle, so he fishtailed under braking, and the leg got pinned between an SUV's door and his bike's fuel tank. I went with him to the ER, and I will never unsee the wibble in his leg when the doc lifted his leg to examine the injury. Spent a few months with the external fixator bolted to the leg and lots of therapy to get back on his feet. My friend wasn't exactly athletic to start with, but had a bit of a limp for a while afterward.

This is going to be very similar to Alex Smith's timetable. Don't look for him to be on a course competitively for at least two years. He may just want to wait until he's eligible for the senior tour if he plans to compete.

(02-24-2021, 02:12 PM)Mikey Wrote:
(02-24-2021, 06:33 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Multiple compound fractures of the right leg.  Skin broken, bone sticking out.  Metal rod inserted to stabilize and repair the bones.  

No sign of drugs or alcohol according to the police. 

I have a friend who had the same type of injury, and the problem he has today isn't the formerly broken bones, or the metal rods, it's his knee.   He can walk around normally, but his knee gives him all sorts of problems, and he can't walk real far without a lot of pain.

I'm just guessing, but I think this is the type of injury that could end Tiger's golf career for good.

Housemate in college had the same injury (compound lower leg fracture)

He was on a motorcycle, and a dude pulled out of a blind driveway right in his path. Just started to drizzle, so he fishtailed under braking, and the leg got pinned between an SUV's door and his bike's fuel tank. I went with him to the ER, and I will never unsee the wibble in his leg when the doc lifted his leg to examine the injury. Spent a few months with the external fixator bolted to the leg and lots of therapy to get back on his feet. My friend wasn't exactly athletic to start with, but had a bit of a limp for a while afterward.

This is going to be very similar to Alex Smith's timetable. Don't look for him to be on a course competitively for at least two years. He may just want to wait until he's eligible for the senior tour if he plans to compete.

An orthopedic surgeon on N4J says it will be difficult for Tiger to walk without a limp with these types of injuries. 

I sincerely hope he can recover well enough to play again. Golf just won't be the same.

(This post was last modified: 02-24-2021, 02:25 PM by Mikey.)

(02-24-2021, 12:03 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote:
(02-24-2021, 11:48 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: He might even reconsider handling sharp objects, lifting heavy items, and walking over uneven ground. 

Wow, I can take no more. I bow to your relentless and airtight logic.  I guess a local driver would probably have sped out of there and rolled it just like the Tige did.  And Tiger certainly doesn't have any history of reckless behaviour in his past, so we can't blame that.

no guarantee that any uber driver is more sober, more well-rested or more familiar with a stretch of road.

This was an accident, a fluke occurrence, something that happens every day countless times in countless cities all across the nation. This time it just so happened to involve a celebrity.

It's unfortunate, but hiring a driver is no guarantee that the outcome wouldn't still have happened.

(02-24-2021, 12:35 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(02-24-2021, 11:22 AM)Tank Commander Wrote: Tiger is actually more Asian than anything.

Here's your typical indigenous Thai person:
[Image: 6411809845_6dcb065539_b.jpg]

Yep, that's 100% how ever Thai person looks.

I'm just waiting to find out what Tiger's three-cone time is before I declare this a tragedy.

I guarantee you it will be worse whenever Tiger gets back on his feet.

(This post was last modified: 02-24-2021, 03:39 PM by Tank Commander.)

(02-24-2021, 06:33 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: I have a friend who had the same type of injury, and the problem he has today isn't the formerly broken bones, or the metal rods, it's his knee.   He can walk around normally, but his knee gives him all sorts of problems, and he can't walk real far without a lot of pain.

Looks like your analysis was right.

DAVID CHAO, MD: MULTIPLE BROKEN BONES MAY BE THE LEAST OF TIGER’S WORRIES, EXPECT MORE SURGERY TO COME

"Although the public is focused on the multiple fractures in his right leg, ankle and foot, the real worry is the associated soft tissue injury. The ability for the bones to heal is not the biggest concern here.

The statement acknowledges the “trauma to the muscle and soft-tissue,” and this is what needs to be watched carefully. Even complex comminuted (multiple fragments) fractures can heal reliably. However, if the covering around the bone is not viable, that creates an even bigger problem of infection."

"There is no question there was more force and initial damage here than when Washington quarterback Alex Smith suffered an open fracture that needed 17 surgeries and two years of recovery. The hope is that early action for Woods prevents an infection and the resultant complications, but no question this will involve more upcoming surgery and a long road to recovery."

https://www.outkick.com/david-chao-md-mu...y-to-come/

He's a great putter, but never has been very good at driving.
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

Dude just can't drive. Just like your typical aggressive non driven Jacksonvillian.

(This post was last modified: 02-24-2021, 08:54 PM by StroudCrowd1.)

Tiger grew up in Southern California, so it's not foreign soil to him. I also agree it is strange for one of the most famous people on planet Earth to drive himself around a place like LA with no type of security. We live in a sick world and a person of Tiger's stature would be an easy target for some sicko.

Anywho, had Tiger not lost interest and pursued the Navy SEAL training route, he would have shattered Jack's record a decade ago. It sucks that he ended his career tied with Snead with 82 wins and won't be able to break it.

Fame comes with a price, and Tiger is paying it 10-fold.

(This post was last modified: 02-24-2021, 11:50 PM by JagsorDie.)

Man this sucks. There are a lot of people in my age range who gained interest at a young age because of this man. He brought young people into the game unlike any before him. I have a lot of golfers that I follow, but it didn’t matter who was leading a round I could never bring myself to pull against him if he was making a run on any given weekend.

I’ll never forget being on the hill at tpc when Sergio hit in the water and the place erupted because it meant tiger was going to win it all. There is a reason people flocked to whichever hole this man was playing. I remember having to go to my certain spots 4 holes ahead just to get a spot on the ropes where tee shots would land.

Im glad he is alive and I hope he recovers and still has the ability to be active, not just to play golf. But, whether it is competitive or not, I hope he hasn’t played his final round.

I know he had drama, but I never liked him because he was a faithful husband, i liked him because I loved watching him play golf. May sound shallow but that’s how I always felt.

(This post was last modified: 02-25-2021, 10:26 AM by NewJagsCity.)

If he can recover enough to be able to swing a club effectively, maybe he can utilize the Casey Martin precedent and use a golf cart.

(02-24-2021, 11:22 AM)Tank Commander Wrote: Tiger is actually more Asian than anything.

The caublinasian as they say on the Jim Rome Show.

(02-24-2021, 11:24 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: Why can't you get it through your head that all wealthy people don't want to be driven around? It may be your fantasy, but in reality people like to have the latitude, control and pleasure of driving themselves.

That's my fantasy, not his.  Just look how cool that dude in the back seat looks.  I hope that's what I look like when I'm in an uber.

[Image: uber-ridesharing-50-hourly-fee.jpg]