Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
What’s next for Watson?

(This post was last modified: 01-18-2021, 06:45 AM by JagsorDie.)

There has been a lot of smoke swirling around the idea that he may be trying to force a trade. I’m just throwing around a few ideas of what may be next for the guy.

- the rams: the first one that I read on Reddit(so probably not too likely) was that the Rams could be a possible suitor to make a play for him. However even if you ignore their lack of draft capital that will inevitably be needed to get him, I highly doubt they have the cap space to try and work in his contract. But it is an interesting proposition.

- the saints: this is one that I thought of last night when I started thinking about what is next for NO. Not sure what their situation is as far as draft picks. But they seem like a team who is primed to win now but could face a problem if Brees decides to call it on his career. To me, a situation like this seems like the best possible situation for Watson and NO, I’m just not sure what they have to give Houston in return.

- The Jags: Nope. Just No, not entertaining this idea lol.

The jets: as far as teams who have draft picks to give the Texans, NYJ leads the way since they own the second pick. Also could lump Darnold into the trade and make it lucrative for both sides. For Watson this is probably one of the worst cases, but for the teams this maybe the best. The tinhorns could go after anyone in the draft not named Trevor and have a QB who really isn’t as bad as his Win/Loss records shows while the jets could have the franchise QB.

Miami: Basically take everything I said about the Jets and insert Tua in place for Darnold.

What do you guys think?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

It is beyond insane for any team to trade away a young franchise QB. Add to that the size of his contract in a time when teams are going to be squeezed by a reduced salary cap, and the amount of compensation that would be required in return, and it seems like an undigestible trade.

On the other hand, if he wants out badly enough, maybe he could re-work his contract or something.

The thing for the Texans to do is fire Easterby, apologize to the team, and try to get a fresh start.

The Saints are way over the cap for next year. I read on ESPN that they are over by $100 million.

If I was running the Jets, I'd rather have Justin Fields with a rookie contract than Watson at his contract. Although if the contracts were equal, and it was a straight up trade, #2 pick for Watson, I would trade for Watson.

Miami? I think they would have to trade Tua and the #3 pick for Watson.

(This post was last modified: 01-18-2021, 07:49 AM by JagsorDie.)

I didn’t know the saints were in that bad of shape with the cap. But if I were Watson, I would be willing to restructure my contract if I meant going to a team that is truly in a win now scenario. That’s I f they could even come to a situation where that would work. I thought I understood how the cap worked but then I watched the rams put multiple 100mil contracts in ink that I never thought would be possible. Now it seems that if a team wants to make something work they will.

As for the dolphins, I could see that type of trade happening. Plus they have the 18th pick as well. With the Texans having almost no picks, I could see them making a deal like this. They have no real shot at drafting a replacement so it would seem they would either have to gain a pick through a trade or have a player for player swap occur for them to get any QB that is even remotely in the same ball park as Watson. That’s just my opinion.

But I do agree it is insane for a team to trade away talent like Watson. These are only situations that I would see possible if he forces his way out which it is sounding like is the case.

(This post was last modified: 01-18-2021, 06:08 PM by StroudCrowd1.)

Apparently not a march, lol.

I figured the 49ers or Patriots would be top the list. Also while miami and jets makes sense because high picks/Tua. Those are not sure things and you are tied to whoever you draft or Tua for a few seasons.

Texans have a multi year rebuild to look forward and have to require all the assets BOB traded away. With guys like Tunsil/Ramsey/Adams getting 2 1st round picks, wouldn't a 25 year-old QB under contract for number years who is a proven 10 at the position start at something like 4 or 5 1st round picks.

The biggest question in this whole thing for me is why did Watson resign with them in Sept 2020? A lot of the burnt bridges happened before that. If anything, I don't get why he didn't think BOB may be on his way out before season. Why not wait until this off season to sign that extension, and have the leverage on coaching input or forcing a trade.

The Texans really botched this one, no matter how it plays out. It all started when they traded DeAndre Hopkins. That was still one of the stupidest trades in years. I have no clue what they were thinking.

(01-19-2021, 10:18 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: The Texans really botched this one, no matter how it plays out. It all started when they traded DeAndre Hopkins. That was still one of the stupidest trades in years. I have no clue what they were thinking.

I agree that was a horribly stupid trade, but I think this started way before with the inmates comment and the Duane Brown situation that led them to overpaying for Tunsil.

That bum signed a contract this year. Now he wants out? No wonder he hangs with Jalen
Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.

(This post was last modified: 01-23-2021, 04:20 PM by Bullseye.)

(01-19-2021, 10:18 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: The Texans really botched this one, no matter how it plays out. It all started when they traded DeAndre Hopkins. That was still one of the stupidest trades in years. I have no clue what they were thinking.

I would say it started well before that, though that may have been the tipping point.

My question to the board is what is more troubling/perplexing to you?

The Texans with Watson, or the Texans with all of the draft picks/players a trade of Watson might bring?

I'd rather the Texans be without Watson.

Yes that now have Cesario from the Patriots, but who can speak for his ability to identify talent?

Who can speak to his ability to work with whomever that new coach will be?

Just because a team has a ton of draft picks doesn't mean they can capitalize on it.

It may take them decades to find another Watson.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(01-23-2021, 04:15 PM)Bullseye Wrote:

I would say it started well before that, though that may have been the tipping point.

My question to the board is what is more troubling/perplexing to you?

The Texans with Watson, or the Texans with all of the draft picks/players a trade of Watson might bring?

I'd rather the Texans be without Watson.

Yes that now have Cesario from the Patriots, but who can speak for his ability to identify talent?

Who can speak to his ability to work with whomever that new coach will be?

Just because a team has a ton of draft picks doesn't mean they can capitalize on it.

It may take them decades to find another Watson.

All other things being equal, Watson or the draft picks Watson would bring in a trade, I would rather the face the Texans without Watson.  

But I would also factor in that Watson is really unhappy, and if he stays on the Texans and stays unhappy that is not good for the Texans.  

Tough choice.

Fields picked David Mulugheta to be his agent and now apparently Watson prefers to go to the Jets. Going to be funny when Mulugheta gets Watson out of Houston and probably also blocks Houston from drafting Fields.

I hope Watson stays with the Texans. I dont want to have to deal with DeVanta Smith and Mac Jones for the next decade

(01-18-2021, 07:47 AM)JagsorDie Wrote: I didn’t  know the saints were in that bad of shape with the cap. But if I were Watson, I would be willing to restructure my contract if I meant going to a team that is truly in a win now scenario. That’s I f they could even come to a situation where that would work. I thought I understood how the cap worked but then I watched the rams put multiple 100mil contracts in ink that I never thought would be possible. Now it seems that if a team wants to make something work they will.

As for the dolphins, I could see that type of trade happening. Plus they have the 18th pick as well. With the Texans having almost no picks, I could see them making a deal like this. They have no real shot at drafting a replacement  so it would seem they would either have to gain a pick through a trade or have a player for player swap occur for them to get any QB that is even remotely in the same ball park as Watson. That’s just my opinion.

But I do agree it is insane for a team to trade away talent like Watson. These are only situations that I would see possible if he forces his way out which it is sounding like is the case.

In regards to the saints unless he can restructure his contract to give the Saints back 50m in cap they won’t be in win now mode, because of the amount of cuts they have to make.

Their win now was this year, now they’ll blow it. I’d try and get Lattimore for a second round pick as the Saints can’t afford him and it’s better than the 3rd round comp pick they’ll get.

On the radio yesterday it was reported that Watson says regardless of who is brought into the FO, he wants out of Houston. Can a player really be that disillusioned and butthurt about not being consulted on a GM hire?

(01-25-2021, 08:52 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: On the radio yesterday it was reported that Watson says regardless of who is brought into the FO, he wants out of Houston. Can a player really be that disillusioned and butthurt about not being consulted on a GM hire?

It's more complicated than that.  Houston is a complete dumpster fire right now, with a Rasputin-like figure seemingly in control of the owner.  Plus, the owner named an advisory committee (which included Watson) and hired a search firm to advise him on the hiring of a new coach and GM, then ignored both the advisory committee and the search firm and hired the guy his friend recommended.  

The owner, who inherited the team just recently, comes across as amazingly incompetent.   JJ Watt is reportedly very unhappy also.  

Background

(01-25-2021, 09:44 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(01-25-2021, 08:52 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: On the radio yesterday it was reported that Watson says regardless of who is brought into the FO, he wants out of Houston. Can a player really be that disillusioned and butthurt about not being consulted on a GM hire?

It's more complicated than that.  Houston is a complete dumpster fire right now, with a Rasputin-like figure seemingly in control of the owner.  Plus, the owner named an advisory committee (which included Watson) and hired a search firm to advise him on the hiring of a new coach and GM, then ignored both the advisory committee and the search firm and hired the guy his friend recommended.  

The owner, who inherited the team just recently, comes across as amazingly incompetent.   JJ Watt is reportedly very unhappy also.  

Background

Dang, that could be a movie.

(This post was last modified: 01-25-2021, 10:55 AM by Tank Commander.)

Watson wants to cash in.  He realizes he's not an elite generational QB, but is smart enough to know this is a prime opportunity to make demands and get a ransom of picks to be moved.

The NY Jets seem stupid enough to trade Darnold and a boat load of picks for a low 1st round draft pick in Watson, with below average size, had a major injury and doesn't have elite speed (4.68 40)

(01-24-2021, 12:24 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I hope Watson stays with the Texans.  I dont want to have to deal with DeVanta Smith and Mac Jones for the next decade

Hope this is a joke, Mac Jones aint gonna be nothing  compared to watson.

(01-25-2021, 10:53 AM)Tank Commander Wrote:

Watson wants to cash in.  He realizes he's not an elite generational QB, but is smart enough to know this is a prime opportunity to make demands and get a ransom of picks to be moved.

The NY Jets seem stupid enough to trade Darnold and a boat load of picks for a low 1st round draft pick in Watson, with below average size, had a major injury and doesn't have elite speed (4.68 40)

I have a different view.  I don't think Watson is doing this because "he wants to cash in."  He signed a huge contract last year.  Besides, why would it benefit him to, as you put it, "get a ransom of picks to be moved?"  That doesn't make any sense at all.  

He is genuinely unhappy about some real serious issues with the Texans franchise and the way it is being run.  If I was in his shoes, I'd want to get out, too.  And it would have nothing to do with wanting to "cash in."

(01-25-2021, 12:20 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(01-25-2021, 10:53 AM)Tank Commander Wrote: Watson wants to cash in.  He realizes he's not an elite generational QB, but is smart enough to know this is a prime opportunity to make demands and get a ransom of picks to be moved.

I have a different view.  I don't think Watson is doing this because "he wants to cash in."  He signed a huge contract last year.  Besides, why would it benefit him to, as you put it, "get a ransom of picks to be moved?"  That doesn't make any sense at all.  

He is genuinely unhappy about some real serious issues with the Texans franchise and the way it is being run.  If I was in his shoes, I'd want to get out, too.  And it would have nothing to do with wanting to "cash in."

It doesn't add up though.  He says he wants to play for a winning culture.
But as you said though, if he is traded for a boat load of picks and players, then the team he will go to will have little talent.

I think he is trying to copy what fellow Houston, James Harden did and force a trade to a winning/super team.
However the value of any player in football is much smaller than in the NBA where you only have a 15 man roster and only 5 players on the court at any given time.

Watson really overestimates his impact and ability.